As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I stared into the [CHAT], and the [CHAT] stared back

ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
chattin' everyday

Projeck on

• Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hey guys, check this out! http://www.musicotherapie-lefilm.com/film.html :D it's so freakin' cool.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    No YOU check it out!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i already have...

r-jasper on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    that was indeed pretty awesome

beavotron on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nice find! sooo crazy.

PROX on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I'd post this in the questions thread, but I kind of need an answer now because I'm talking to the guy right now. Someone online wants to buy this drawing from me, with the frame:

2746506063_581e048d36.jpg

Bigger better picture here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrielyolk/2746506063/sizes/o/

The thing is, I have no idea how much to sell it for. I spent about 4 hours total on it. The frame looks cheap and kind of damaged, but it looks nice for the drawing, that's why I chose it. It's just a cheap old frame from pottery barn. The actual picture is about 8.5 by 11, with the frame its like 15 by 12.

How much should I charge for the original, framed? What about a print? He'll probably go with a print because it's cheaper, so I'll probably get a laser copy done, I have no idea how I'd price that?

Thanks a lot.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I was in prison...
    But, I didn't get arrested! My sister-in-law works at a juvenile correctional facility and she asked me to go with a group to speak to the kids. Man, all those kids are really polite and well mannered. I was expecting to get shanked with a home made knife, but it turns out they only shank snitches, misters and busters.

I also learned the prisoner's communication signs. Cool!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    so i almost hit a family crossing the street today
    the dad was freaking at me
    i felt awful, i kept just saying how sorry i was over and over again and he just kept getting mad at me
    understandable
    but i really am sorry :(

edit: also i was skim boarding, and i wiped out, landed on my board and cut my entire thigh up
    it really fucking hurts and is bruised to shit
    bad day for me :(:(:(

beavotron on
  • Options
    quid squidquid squid Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chop Logic wrote: »
    So I'd post this in the questions thread, but I kind of need an answer now because I'm talking to the guy right now. Someone online wants to buy this drawing from me, with the frame:

2746506063_581e048d36.jpg

Bigger better picture here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrielyolk/2746506063/sizes/o/

The thing is, I have no idea how much to sell it for. I spent about 4 hours total on it. The frame looks cheap and kind of damaged, but it looks nice for the drawing, that's why I chose it. It's just a cheap old frame from pottery barn. The actual picture is about 8.5 by 11, with the frame its like 15 by 12.

How much should I charge for the original, framed? What about a print? He'll probably go with a print because it's cheaper, so I'll probably get a laser copy done, I have no idea how I'd price that?

Thanks a lot.

framed i'd say anywhere between $150-$250. print probably $75

quid squid on
  • Options
    ZiffelblictZiffelblict Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    i felt awful, i kept just saying how sorry i was over and over again and he just kept getting mad at me
    understandable

edit: also i was skim boarding, and i wiped out, landed on my board and cut my entire thigh up

That sounds like me, atleast as far as once I bump my head one time, the chances are higher that I will bump my head again. That goes for the rest of the day too, just keep bumping my head. it goes along with getting tired physicly and mentaly. So if I bump my head enough, I really tell myself I just have to take a break and eat some food/water.
    I work out doors

Ziffelblict on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's monday morning at work and the pump has gone tits up on the server room aircon humidifier over the weekend and there's fucking water everywhere.......why do monday mornings always have to suck so much?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    fSymsOGXO9gllnznRqHnJ2St_r1_500.gif

beavotron on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks beavs, Jon looks like how I feel. I got the pump working, it was clogged up with this foul brown goo.....I don't know, nor do I want to know what it was. I think I better get it replaced though.

EDIT: The pump, not the goo.

Mustang on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This might or might not cheer you guys up, depending how dark your souls are. EDIT: Beavo, you mebbe shouldn't read this right now considering your experience today.
    I'm driving home from work, doing 48 on the 45 speed limit, when this jackass in a Corvette shoots past me at like 65mph on a 45mph road. Traffic is by no means heavy, but there are other cars on the road, and he's zig-zagging around them.

So the punk decides he's going to run the red light even when the other road is occluded by trees. Out of nowhere comes an SUV (had the green) and clips his tiny little corvette- fucking up the rear making him do a 180. Everyone stops pretty close to the scene and I saw the woman in the SUV run out and start screaming bloody murder at the dude in the car. He seemed to shrink in his seat.

Lady moves the SUV out of the way, and I go home laughing my ass off.

Tam on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    understandable

I almost made a family run over another family crossing the street because I waved them through not knowing a family was crossing the street.

Bad news bears beavo! I hope your leg heals up. And hey chicks dig scars!

This is the beavotron song:

PROX on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey guys.

I didn't draw over the summer and now I suck. :x

And I felt like I was finally making some headway. :(

Virum on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    You should draw.

Right now. Do it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have been, this is how I know I suck...

I just got caught up with making a short film that the drawing stuff got pushed to the side and now I really regret it.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Do you carry a sketchbook around with you? If you dont I highly recommend it. It will really encourage you to draw when bored, and doodles are better than nothing. I go through periods where Im not finishing a bunch of crap, but still doodling.

Even if its a tiny ass one.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't, mainly because it's very annoying having to carry it around everywhere, and one that is small enough to fit in my pocket is too small for me to draw on.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I guess I have a messenger bag always attached to me.. I've been carrying around a stupidly huge one, its like, 14 by something... really only slightly smaller than my laptop. You never lug around a folder or anything? Seems unlikely.

Iruka on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hi guys, it's me, some guy from D&D.

I'm always reading AC and marveling at the art, but I'm too much of a malcontented pussy to learn how to do it myself.

So, what's a good way to ease into this? Or is easing into it bad? Should I rush forward with all my youthful vigor, consequences damned?!

Greeper on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aw I wish we could embed street view. I wanna show y'all my house.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hi guys.

That's it. Just sayin' hi. How are the, what do you use? Easels? Pastels? Yeah, how are the easels and pastels treating you lately?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    I started wearing cargo pants all the time in high school just for the purpose of being able to have a sketchbook on me. Of course now I've gotten lazy and don't carry around a sketchbook nearly enough, and now the cargo pants thing probably makes me look like, well, like I'm trying to look like a high-schooler from the late 90's. If that doesn't bother you, there you go. (I hope you have a sturdy belt.)

I suppose I could get real grown-up type pants and get a messenger bag but I can't shake the feeling that secretly, messenger bags are really just a kind of hipster purse.

@Greeper: Just start. It's not Krav maga, it's not going to break your wrist by going off full-tilt fromt he start. The only benefit to going slow is to limit the amount of frustration you're going to hit with drawing at any given time- but that's not even right, because you'll get the same amount of frustration going slower, just over a longer period of time...and then you get additional frustration when you go and think, "WHY IS THIS TAKING ME SO LONG!?" Therefore, fail fast, fail often.

Good place to start would be the OP of the Questions/Tutorials thread, especially the nod towards these here two books:

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards
    The Natural Way to Draw by Kimon Nicolaides

preferably read in that order.

Also, damn is Lawrence of Arabia a good movie. So many movies I see of late- even if they're actually pretty good- I start getting antsy around the 70 minute mark waiting for it to just end, but at the end of 3 and a half hours of LoA you're just sitting there wishing there was more, it goes by so quickly and you don't even notice. I mean if you took out the intermission and just sat me down with no preconceived notions about the duration, I'd swear at the end of it I'd say it was maybe 2-2.5 hours long.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's really great advice. Okay! I start!

Oh, Dr. Zhivago is also a long movie that doesn't seem long to me.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Aw I wish we could embed street view. I wanna show y'all my house.

Print screen?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    if i brought a tee-shirt into a tailor's could they adjust the neckline so it wasn't a crew neck anymore?
    i hate crew neck tee-shirts, they're unflattering on me.

beavotron on
  • Options
    SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure how they would hide the stitching where the neck used to be on a t-shirt... But, hey I know nothing about being a tailor. Skinning and leatherworking though... >.>

Sonic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sonic wrote: »
    I'm not sure how they would hide the stitching where the neck used to be on a t-shirt... But, hey I know nothing about being a tailor. Skinning and leatherworking though... >.>

i expect the original neck line would be cut off
    to make it more flattering, they have to like, make the neck line bigger
    so, they'd have to cut off the neck and a bit of extra material i'd imagine

hoh hoh hoh i see what you did there

edit:
    "galen wrote:
    I think you guys have been trolled. Just FYI

This was obvious from the OP. I am more than a little pissed off that I got an infraction for counter trolling an obvious troll post, seeing as how this is done every single time a troll posts in this forum and is just part of the fun of the AC.
    I never post silly stuff unwarranted, if I post in someone's thread at all, it's to give advice
    but when someone is CLEARLY digging for reactions from us, and you infract people who are trying to point out that we know what they're trying to do, it just sort of makes us all look like tards who will take any bait dangled in our faces.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    I'll drop it now.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We can get "infractions" now? What is that like a demerit? Does it lead to citations!? D:

Sonic on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had a really weird dream where I was talking to beavo over steam last night, it was some sort of deep conversation... and out of no where AoB somehow joins our chat and gives us ridiculous but highly relevant advice (which I wish I had remembered).

Woooo mondaaaaaaaaay.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Skinning and leatherworking though... >.>

oh christ. I think I had a warcraft dream last night that I forgot about... ^^ just reminded me.
    someone please shoot me :p

Veritas on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    We can get "infractions" now? What is that like a demerit? Does it lead to citations!? D:

Basically, infractions lead to jailing and then banning depending on how many infractions one receives. It's an automated system instead of a mod actually jailing or banning somebody.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think I've gotten three infractions. One was for pretending to get an infration...

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I hereby shake my cane at these newfangled systems.

Sonic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think I've gotten three infractions. One was for pretending to get an infration...

They made an honest man out of you.

Tam on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tube gave me an infraction for drawing a horse wrong.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    hahah i love tube he's absurd

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He made a thread in SE where you nominate people to be banned and then everyone votes on the person they want banned. He will actually ban the person that gets the most votes. Even though he put himself on the list too, I don't quite approve.

Not that I don't love our benevolent fascist overlord.

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.