As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (Photos On Page 14)

Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
Ladies and gentlemen, please don your robes and wizard hats in anticipation of the first annual

triwizardlogo2jt4.png

AKA The '08 Pre-Pax Pub Crawl

When: Thursday August 28th Starting at 8pm

Where: The Tournament will kick off promptly at 8:40PM from Clever Dunne's. Please arrive 10-15 minutes before this for scorecards to be handed out and to be split into two groups (if needed).

Route

Google Map Walking Directions

(X:XX XX - Group A / Group B )
08:40 PM - Clever Dunne's / The Chapel
09:20 PM - The Crescent / Linda's
10:00 PM - Cafe Metropolitan / Barca
10:40 PM - Dick's --Midpoint. People leave/arrive.
11:40 PM - Barca / Cafe Metropolitan
12:20 AM - Linda's / The Crescent
01:00 AM - The Chapel / Clever Dunne's
01:50 AM - Crawl ends / Last Call

Last Update: August 17th

Who: This list will be updated as participants confirm
01. Atlus Parker (Headboy)
02. Hpcmfu pg Gjsf: Esjol b cpnc esjol (Kbhfs Cpnc, Jsjti Dbs Cpnc, Tblf Cpnc, fud)
03. Moe Fwacky (Late)
04. faits +2 (Headboy)
05. tr0tsky +1 (Late)
06. Whytmage (Late)
07. DStalefish (Late)
08. The_Reflection
09. Astayonix (Late)
10. redhalo (Late)
11. RCars2 (Late)
12. artifice
13. SlickShughes +1 (Late)
14. warder808 +1
15. MetaverseNomad +1 (Late)
16. iFold (Late)
17. apotheos
18. waffleboi9
19. PeasantDave
20. PunkJr
21. MaoChan +??
22. SunshineGrrrl +1 (Frrrst half)
23. Post Blue (Late)
24. Mustard Tiger
25. Jonman
26. giraffeoverlord
27. ukiyo e
28. RandalBrodie
29. Sable +1
30. Corneliusb +1
31. JonnyNero (Late)
32. beta_angel (???)
33. Artic1 +1
34. Polago (Late)
35. Tasteticle +1
36. gfish (Late)
37. Blurby (Late)
38. Nepo
39. Dionysos911
40. VThornheart
41. Rawberry +4
42. freckle +8
43. BrokenAngel
44. skarsol +1 (Late)
45. Captain Cac-fuck his name is The_Marshall (Late)
46. Reisaroni
47. Gravy Robber
48. RandomFool (Late)
49. endlesswaltz +1
50. John_FN_Seiler (Late)
51. Evermourn +1 +Young Wizard (Late)
52. jmelloy
53. DeadlySherpa (Headboy)
54. RogueTakahashi
55. Sukkresa
56. GameRabbit +1
57. gertbeef
58. leaf
59. DWM +3
60. EruditeAphrodite +1
61. Superfluous Tambourine +3-5
62. yanyan +1-3
63. hottopicreject +1 (Late)
64. eye-shuh (Squib)
65. Loser4Now +2
66. tron256
67. Jokulhaup
68. Officer
69. bigwah +1
70. Oz K. Fodrotski +1-5
71. frankie23 +1-2
72. samuelhgarfield
73. Caelesto +1
74. ArcticXC +2
75. rustbucket
76. Rev. Phlegm
77. NoChanc3 +1
78. Rosethorn +??
79. Jinru (Late)
80. whypick1 +1
81. angelkirie +2-3
82. howpeegoo +6
83. curteck +3
84. EplMania
85. atray +3
86. refish27 +3 (Late)
87. PikaPuff
88. snopromise +5
89. AltDelete
90. ay1ene

How: It may go without saying but this isn't a kegger at the Theta Phi Delta. We will be out drinking in public and will have to maintain some decorum. A lot of us will be strangers drinking in a strange town. The following is a list of guidelines to ensure a smooth experience for everyone involved.
Don't Be a Dick: First and foremost, don't do anything that's going to embarrass yourself or anyone else. Especially since alcohol is going to be involved you're going to want to leave your asshole pants at home. Don't make us snap your wand.

Know Your Limit: The only person who knows your alcohol tolerance is you. There's nothing worse than an overindulged drunk so don't be that guy. If someone notices that you're getting sloppy you're already past the point of no return. You should probably stop drinking when someone points out to you that you're peeing on a bar stool.

Leave No Wizard Behind: We arrive as a group and leave as a group. If someone has to be That Guy/Gal who gets so wasted that they think they're actually Dumbledore, it's the responsibility of the crawl as a whole to ensure this person makes it safely back to their hotel. Use the buddy system, handcuff yourselves to each other, whatever. No one is to vomit in a bus terminal by themselves. Not this night, at least.

Respect the Headboys/girls: Anyone designated as a headboy/girl for the crawl isn't there just to hand out stickers; they're there to make sure everyone's having a good time and that everything runs smoothly. They're there to keep everyone moving and to stop people like gertbeef from jumping up on the bar and dropping trou. If one asks you to stop picking bar fights with the seedy locals, it might be a good idea to do so.

HAVE FUN: This is the most important guideline of all: Have fun! We're all on vacation and we're drinking with fellow nerds so let's enjoy it. Keeping ourselves fairly reasonable for the evening will make it a good time for everyone.

WHAT????!?!!?: So you find yourself asking "Why is this a drinking tournament and what do wizards have to do with it?". The answer to that is simple: I've devised a list of different challenges to be performed at each stop on the bar crawl. Participation in these challenges is by no means mandatory. Everyone is welcome to drink along with us and participate in as few or as many challenges as you want. These are designed simply for fun and to help break the ice as many of us will be meeting in person for the first time here. For those of you up to the task, here are the first six challenges corresponding with the six bar stops along the way:
Stop 1. Goblet of Fire
Stop 2. The Norwegian Ridgeback
Stop 3. YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
Stop 4. The Dark Mark
Stop 5. Riddle of the Sphinx
Stop 6. The Two Wands

Additionally, there are two wildcard challenges which may be performed at any point during the pubcrawl:
Challenge 7. The Wizard's Duel: Choose a partner and order each other a shot. Anything goes (No Killing Curses)
Bonus: Wear some sort of wizard or witch attire to the crawl. Wands, hats, robes, etc

Score will be kept by the headboys and girls, one of which will be me for one of the groups and a volunteer from the other group if there is one. No, there is no prize for "winning". Again these are designed just for fun although if you really want a prize I would have to say it's not throwing up on my shoes. That's a good prize.

There will now some minor prizes added to the tournament. The first 10 people in each group to turn in a fully completed scorecard to their headboy/girl will receive one of these iron-on emblems:

emblemssa3.jpg

Players will have scorecards that I printed out on oversized glossy postcards and look like this:
triwizard2gi5.jpg

There are only 50 of these and will be distributed first come, first serve. If you plan on coming late you may want to print out your own.

Essentially this is a drinking scavenger hunt for those who want to and a normal pub crawl for those who don't.

Smile! You're on camera!: As with some of the other community events, our little tournament has attracted Porkfry and his camera minions. Prepare to be filmed at some point and having said footage possibly used on the PAX '08 DVD. Let's show the world how wizards/witches really roll.

Atlus Parker on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    I'm in for at least the second half of this.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    emot-raise.gif

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I'm in for at least the second half of this.

Late participants will be able to double up on challenges to catch up.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Me plus two, probably joining group A at the stumbling monk. Subject to change if my out of town guests, you know, change their minds.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in after the pre-pax dinner, and I'm sure my gf will join me. Do I dare ask what the "two wands" challenge is going to be?

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    I'm in after the pre-pax dinner, and I'm sure my gf will join me. Do I dare ask what the "two wands" challenge is going to be?

Ever swordfight with your friends as a kid?

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »

Agree. I would need to know what each of the challenges are.

A+ for theme idea though.

I should be there after the Pre PAX Dinner. which means the Pre Pax breakfast will be hell on earth. :D

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    ReisaroniReisaroni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Atlus Parker for keeping this together! I'm glad that there is liquid courage involved on this trip to get the friendships started!

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Any WCTT folks heading out to this after we arrive?

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Due to the WCTT I won't be able to jump in until about 10 or so, but I do indeed plan on joining the fun.

Will there be a way to track where the groups are so I'll know which bar to run to?

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    im not a big drinker, or a drinker at all, but for if the wctt makes it in time, i'd love to tag along

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »
    Will there be a way to track where the groups are so I'll know which bar to run to?

I'm stickler for timeliness so at the very least whatever group I'm in will be adhering to the posted timetable.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Due to the WCTT I won't be able to jump in until about 10 or so, but I do indeed plan on joining the fun.

It'd probably be a good idea to have a couple cell numbers floating around for each group. Either that or people with iphones or blackberries or etc can post updates to the forum as the crawl progresses.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'm stickler for timeliness so at the very least whatever group I'm in will be adhering to the posted timetable.

Is herding drunk guys easier or more difficult than herding cats?

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm a volunteer at the dinner, so I'm tearing down afterwards. May or may not feel like a pub crawl when that's over.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    faits wrote: »

Is herding drunk guys easier or more difficult than herding cats?

I guess I'm going to find out. On that note, since we're likely to have two groups if anyone wants to volunteer to head the second one now's your chance.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So for those of us joining after the WCTT/Dinner, we should all probably just invade Dick's then. :P

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in, not sure what time we are getting in however, soooo... I'll keep ya updated ^.^

Also... would my FF white mage hoodie count as "wizard attire"?

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Additionally, there are two wildcard challenges which may be performed at any point during the pubcrawl:

Challenge 7. The Wizard's Duel: Choose a partner and order each other a shot. Anything goes (No Killing Curses)
    Bonus: Wear some sort of wizard or witch attire to the crawl. Wands, hats, robes, etc

I'm going to do my best to imitate Yaya Han's treatment of the Hogwart's female attire. I know that she did Cho Chang (a Ravenclaw), but I'll go for Slytherin since I'm 100% :twisted:. Should be easy since I really was a Catholic school girl and already have a lot of the basic essentials at home, but a slytherin patch and scarf wouldn't hurt things :). This should be fun!

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm in, not sure what time we are getting in however, soooo... I'll keep ya updated ^.^

Also... would my FF white mage hoodie count as "wizard attire"?

Not only yes, but HELL yes.

And i'll buy you a drink if you let me wear it at any point.

((OMG< whytmage dressed as a white mage.... ))

Whytmage on
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Atlus Parker, outstanding crawl name and theme. I will be there for the second half after the pre-PAX dinner. Now to find some wizard's attire.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Reisaroni wrote: »
    Thanks Atlus Parker for keeping this together! I'm glad that there is liquid courage involved on this trip to get the orgies started!

Fixt and bolded important words.

Whytmage on
  • Options
    The_SavesThe_Saves Magistrate of Crazy Town KirklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ugh, I want to do this so badly! I have a couple friends coming from out of state that night and one isn't 21 yet D:

Next year, I'm coming full force. Nothing will stand in my way of super drinking Pre PAX stumbling night time drowsiness and slight nausea (going for a Pepto Bismal thing there). Hopefully we'll be staying in a hotel on Friday and Saturday night, so I can get my drink on then. If we do it's Shorty's and Taphouse for me, maybe others if members of the pub crawl tell me of the whimsical places they discovered.

The_Saves on
    Ummm...
  • Options
    RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Im in for this but I'll be with the train trip.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i should be good for this

artifice on
  • Options
    RawberryRawberry Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would absolutely love to do this, but despite living in Kent/Federal Way/Puyallup all my life I am not very good at getting into and out of Seattle. I could probably get there on the bus, but any idea how I'd be able to get home? Obviously no driving - do people usually take taxis, or are buses still running? Also, what does something like this typically cost? I have no clue how much money I'll have after needing to pay for a hotel room etc. for the weekend. And we don't have the hotel on Thursday night since we live in Kent and we couldn't afford the extra night. x_x Ideas?

Rawberry on
  • Options
    The_SavesThe_Saves Magistrate of Crazy Town KirklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rawberry wrote: »
    I would absolutely love to do this, but despite living in Kent/Federal Way/Puyallup all my life I am not very good at getting into and out of Seattle. I could probably get there on the bus, but any idea how I'd be able to get home? Obviously no driving - do people usually take taxis, or are buses still running? Also, what does something like this typically cost? I have no clue how much money I'll have after needing to pay for a hotel room etc. for the weekend. And we don't have the hotel on Thursday night since we live in Kent and we couldn't afford the extra night. x_x Ideas?

I know that the 150 to Kent has a last run at 1:20 in the morning, but its risky (if missed there goes the last chance to get back). It goes to Kent station, arriving at 2 ish in the morning. I don't think any buses will be leaving from Kent to get you back to where you live though. A Taxi wouldn't be too bad, though spendy for a night out. I haven't ever resorted to a taxi so I have zero idea on the cost. Always figured it was $75 and up, making it not worth the trip.

Hopefully you find a way though, everyone deserves a chance at a great time.

The_Saves on
    Ummm...
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also in, assuming I can talk the wife into it - shouldn't be a problem - also coming in on the wctt. Not knowing Seattle geography, would the best move be to check in first, then make our way to the mid point and meet up there?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also in, assuming I can talk the wife into it - shouldn't be a problem - also coming in on the wctt. Not knowing Seattle geography, would the best move be to check in first, then make our way to the mid point and meet up there?

If you're staying in the vicinity of the convention center, then yeah. All the bars (and dicks) are pretty near there, so I'd just go drop my stuff off then head over to Dicks.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rawberry wrote: »

I live in lake forest park, and my friends and I will be staying at my house all weekend. Since I won't be wanting to drive after an evening of drunken debauchery, we'll just hop a cab down and a cab back. I think that last summer when I took a cab home from my sister's wedding reception on lake union it was only about twenty five bucks, which isn't too bad split three ways.

Actually I just looked up taxi fares in seattle (which are all uniform) and they are $2.50 for the meter drop, $2.00 a mile, $0.50 per minute waiting in traffic and $0.50 per person over two people (that's new: used to be up to four ride for the same as one). So depending on how far out you are, you can calculate to see how expensive the taxi ride home would be if you missed the bus.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have both Gryffindor and Slytherin scarves... but my mind recoils in horror at the idea of wearing a Harry Potter scarf to a bar in August.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    RawberryRawberry Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    faits wrote: »
    I live in lake forest park, and my friends and I will be staying at my house all weekend. Since I won't be wanting to drive after an evening of drunken debauchery, we'll just hop a cab down and a cab back. I think that last summer when I took a cab home from my sister's wedding reception on lake union it was only about twenty five bucks, which isn't too bad split three ways.

Actually I just looked up taxi fares in seattle (which are all uniform) and they are $2.50 for the meter drop, $2.00 a mile, $0.50 per minute waiting in traffic and $0.50 per person over two people (that's new: used to be up to four ride for the same as one). So depending on how far out you are, you can calculate to see how expensive the taxi ride home would be if you missed the bus.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Now to see who I can sucker into going with me...

Rawberry on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The wife and I are coming from NYC, so we look forward to getting drunk.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    oh man this is going to be awesome. I'm in, plus at least 3 (no more than 5) other PAX-going Wizards/Witches. We will have to be second-half also, I think I'll be going to the Pre-PAX dinner (although the scorecard does make me want to reconsider...)

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    iFoldiFold Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm all about this too and it's where all my years of training will pay off. I can make it to the second half as I'm going to the PAX dinner as well.

iFold on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    My plane is arriving at 6:50, so while I really have no idea where I will stick my stuff I think I would deeply enjoy 100% completion of this pub crawl.

But I may get drunk and recite every Harry Potter spell I know looking for one that will impress the ladies.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    But I may get drunk and recite every Harry Potter spell I know looking for one that will impress the ladies.

Didnoticus Castaspellicus always works for me.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Me and my liver are in!

waffleboi9 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Me and this thing are in.
    harry-potter-sorting-hat.jpg

DStalefish on