As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Dual-Boxing for Fun, Triple XP, and Profit: A How-To Guide

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    This might have been asked, if so sorry:

Does the triple xp stack with rest xp? I.E. can you get 4x or maybe even 6x if you wait for the rest xp?

I have no intentions of doing this but I'm just curious.

EDIT: That's got to be fake. You'd be hard pressed to even travel to each level zone to get 1-60 in 2 hours, let alone stop and kill things and do quests.

It's not fake, I could have done it if I got summoned to SM and DM instead of walking for 40 minutes, my priest was in 3 hours. You quest to 10 with someone, then have someone run both of you through DM from 10-20 then SM from 20-30, then you get level bumped from 30-60 by the 60 you already leveled with your friend.

EDIT: Actually, you could do even better. You level to 40 through DM/SM then the lvl 40 grants your new lvl 10 levels from 10-30 then the 60 grants you levels from 30-60. This would be just for a screenshot, though, as it would take the extra hours to level the other characters in the first place.

Oh, I guess I didn't really "get" the level bumping thing.

So it'd still require the referred to get a 60 first.

Bloody hell, I'm half tempted to do this and get my wife to tag along for the ride. Then use her to level a couple of my alts that I have about 30 and stopped.

But I don't play anymore. :(

Is there a "bumping" limit? I.E. if the referred has bumped you 30 levels with a 60, if they get another 60 do they get to "bump" you 30 more?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, I guess I didn't really "get" the level bumping thing.

So it'd still require the referred to get a 60 first.

Bloody hell, I'm half tempted to do this and get my wife to tag along for the ride. Then use her to level a couple of my alts that I have about 30 and stopped.

But I don't play anymore. :(

Is there a "bumping" limit? I.E. if the referred has bumped you 30 levels with a 60, if they get another 60 do they get to "bump" you 30 more?

I don't think so, there's nothing that would indicate there being a limit except not allowing you to be bumped past 60.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well how do you use the "bumped" levels? If my "friend" gets a 60 can I bump a 30 on a different server or does it have to be the same server/side?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Well how do you use the "bumped" levels? If my "friend" gets a 60 can I bump a 30 on a different server or does it have to be the same server/side?

Same server, same faction. You right click their portrait and there's an option for "Grant a Level"

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ah. There's only 3 classes I don't have a 60+ of already. So that sucks.

I think I already know the answer to this; but lets say I have a 30 Warlock already.

I start a level 1 druid on my account and a level 1 whatever on the other. I level both 1's to 30. If I then start using my Warlock with the "friend" account will we still get the 3x xp, and then give the 30 "bumps" to my druid? i.e. is the xp bonus account based or character based?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's one granted level for every two levels earned while partnered.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ah. There's only 3 classes I don't have a 60+ of already. So that sucks.

I think I already know the answer to this; but lets say I have a 30 Warlock already.

I start a level 1 druid on my account and a level 1 whatever on the other. I level both 1's to 30. If I then start using my Warlock with the "friend" account will we still get the 3x xp, and then give the 30 "bumps" to my druid? i.e. is the xp bonus account based or character based?

The bonus is account based. You both get the triple exp as long as the other character is the same level as you, if the character is levels below you only they get the triple exp, if the mob is gray to either player no one gets triple exp. You can have someone run both of you through an instance where the mobs are gray to them as long as they aren't the referrer or the referred.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To make quest gathering easier, make a macro on your /follower for: /script AcceptQuest()
    Then bind it to whatever. Then just run around getting quests on your controlled character, share, hit the hotkey, repeat until all quests are shared.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    To make quest gathering easier, make a macro on your /follower for: /script AcceptQuest()
    Then bind it to whatever. Then just run around getting quests on your controlled character, share, hit the hotkey, repeat until all quests are shared.

To expand on this

/script AcceptGroup(); AcceptQuest(); AcceptTrade(); RetrieveCorpse(); RepopMe();

This macro will accept group invites, quests, trades, rezzes and resurrects you after a corpserun, all in one button. Very useful.

reVerse on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm I'm tempted to do this now so that I can 3 box warlocks instead of two box. It'd be pretty sweet to be AVing with 1 demo, one affliction, one FG warlock :p

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Blizzard's site isn't letting me upgrade my trial account so I'm stuck at 20.

Keeps giving me an error, any else had issues like this over the last day or so?

What are you doing that you keep getting an error?

I'm going to my account and hitting the "upgrade this account online now!" button. Takes me to a page where I put in my credit card info and stuff. And then I get an "error 202! We could not upgrade the account with this information, please call this number here." But the number isn't open till monday.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is the second WoW directory strictly necessary for Octopus or something? Because I'm pretty sure you can just launch multiple instances of WoW from the same directory.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Charus wrote: »
    Is the second WoW directory strictly necessary for Octopus or something? Because I'm pretty sure you can just launch multiple instances of WoW from the same directory.

Yeah, you can do it just fine.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ah, missed that it was discussed on page 2 while I was asleep, thanks, though.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm tempted to do this on my 2nd PC, so me and my girlfriend can play together. I'm not interested in dual-boxing. Just the triple XP, the free month and the Zhevra mount.

Now I just need a cheap PCI graphics card for the 2nd PC (no AGP/PCI-e), playing with onboard graphics is terrible. I don't need anything fancy, just something to make it bearable, a 9250 or a 5200 perhaps...

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm liking this a lot. Had an alt that was already 38, and I didn't want to level something from 1-38 on a trial account, so I just parked the level 1 in what ever zone I'm in and get some really nice exp.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can you accrue "grant a levels" and use them all at once at a later date?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Can you accrue "grant a levels" and use them all at once at a later date?

Yes, my friend granted me 28 levels in a row from his Mage that he leveled 1-60. I assume as long as that "later date" is within the 90 days that your accounts are linked.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's great that they offered this after I leveled 5 shaman to 70 Q_Q

I wrote a post on my blog a few weeks ago on my current macros I use to multibox, if anyone wants to check it out
    It covers general macros, and shaman/hunter macros
    http://yourtargetisdead.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/essential-multiboxing-macros/

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link my site though (sitewhoring etc etc), I'm sure someone will tell me sooner or later

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's not sitewhoring when its relevant to the thread, which in this case it most certainly is. Plus I don't see any ads on there, not like you're making money off of clicks from the link.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I've jumped on the bandwagon now. Created a new account from my cousin's referral and we decided to try an Oceanic PvE server for easy grouping and to avoid frustrating gankfests. Hit level 24 with an afternoon's worth of grinding, which isn't very impressive, but we've never really done the Draenai starting area before and my cousin's ability to min-max quest grouping IS SORELY LACKING ARGH WHY ARE WE RUNNING THIS WAY.

The problems associated with this deal also burned brightly, more so with our situation - our gear was frequently shit for our level and we struggled to afford new skills and spells. The whole trial account restriction thing is absolute bollocks as well. Despite leveling well past the trial limit of 20 I continued to get "YOU CANNOT DO THIS ON A TRIAL ACCOUNT HUR HUR". Plus we both have incredibly short memories with a side of daft so every 5 minutes we'd think of some cunning plan to solve our woes only to realise that no matter how inspired it is, it still involves trading/accessing the mailbox/using the AH.

"Hey I'll make us some shitty rings and necks so our gear doesn't suck so bad."
    "Cool, I'll take caster and melee versions."
    "You've got some malachite and tigerseye right? I've run out."
    "Sure do."
    *time passes*
    "Oh hey, you're back in town. Give me the gems."
    YOU CANNOT TRADE ON TRIAL ACCOUNTS
    "Good luck with that."
    "AGDHSDASHDJDBASNDDHASJDHASJKDHASJK"

I think I'll convince him to switch back to the server with our mains and do that crazy instance leveling trick.

Coconut Monkey on
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah i was actually having that problem too. I found I was leveling way too fast and the paladin on the trial account was using his starting mace at level 12 before I thought crap i should probably find a way to get a new weapon.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObjectZeroObjectZero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so if i understand this correctly, i can't drag the new account i created behind my 70 (which is on the reffering account) because the mobs will be gray o my 70 and thus grant no xp to the new character on the referred account.

i need someone to drag me through instances then. I can't stomach more then 2 active accounts.

ObjectZero on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    and i have to BUY a whole new version of WoW for the second account?

ObjectZero on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Object, you can just park your level 70 near a bunch of quest turns in and get triple exp from those.

Neva on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    yea, but i couldn't just have my lowbie follow my main through VC multiple times and suck the xp...which is what i was looking to do.

ObjectZero on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hell, that would be nice even at regular exp. It's the next best thing, and you'll level up really fast anyways. Have you're main do the quest for your lower level, then turn them in. I got my roommate's alt from 28-35 in an hour or two of just rushing her through quest.

Neva on

• Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Eh.. I haven't gotten any triple XP while in a group with my 70. I made a mage alt on the second account, hunter on my main account. Leveled them both up to 19. Got the Van Cleef quests on my mage, logged in my 70 rogue, ran the mage through VC and got no bonus exp. Turned the head in with my rogue in the group and got no bonus exp. Logged the hunter back in (19, mage 20 by this point) and got the bonus exp for the other quest turnins.

So for me no bonus exp in a group with a 70, but I have been getting bonus exp on characters 1 level higher than the one grouped with them.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If anyone in your party even comes near a grey mob the xp bonus is dropped

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Pent wrote: »

Could you elaborate?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008

Could you elaborate?

I believe that if someone in your group is a high enough level where the mob is grey to them and if they are nearby {dunno how close, but it's a decent size radius}, then you {let's say the mob is orange to you} kill the mob, you won't get the exp bonus.

Neva on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Using my friend's mage, I got triple exp from mobs on both characters in Wailing Caverns. There's no other way to explain them gaining three levels from two runs (and that is NOT including the quest exp).

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The restriction is that the mob can not be grey to any character that is on the linked account.

So two nubs linked accounts a nonlinked 70, they get the exp. Two nubs, one linked, one not, linked 70, no bonus exp.

And now I have my two extra warlocks I'm leveling with my 70 warlock. I've got a male orc, (Main, lvl 70) a male blood elf, and a female orc. I didn't want all orcs, and I hate what the undead models to to armour. If only I could have a troll warlock.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nevermind, I am incorrect.

khain on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's great that they offered this after I leveled 5 shaman to 70 Q_Q

I wrote a post on my blog a few weeks ago on my current macros I use to multibox, if anyone wants to check it out
    It covers general macros, and shaman/hunter macros
    http://yourtargetisdead.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/essential-multiboxing-macros/

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link my site though (sitewhoring etc etc), I'm sure someone will tell me sooner or later
    This site has taught me you can shorten /invite to /i. 8-)

815165 on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck yeah! My trial restrictions just got removed.

I should probably change the wording around in the OP just to make it clear that yeah, you can TRY this out for free but it's not going to be very practical because of the trading restrictions. It's still good though because I (and I'm sure others) was concerned about how the actual dual-boxing would play out, and the free trial definitely will give you a feel for what it's going to be like.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    A free alt to 20 and another alt skips the first ten levels. Not terrible considering the price.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Question: If you level a "friend" multiple times to level ten do you get five free levels per character? So could you do this six times and grant a character of your own thirty levels?

If so you're looking at twelve minutes per level for thirty levels on your mains character.

815165 on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    Question: If you level a "friend" multiple times to level ten do you get five free levels per character? So could you do this six times and grant a character of your own thirty levels?

If so you're looking at twelve minutes per level for thirty levels on your mains character.

I was thinking something along these lines, but instead of leveling to ten, leveling six characters to 20. That should take relatively little time and in theory, you should be able to boost one character to 60 by doing it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You can only grant a character thirty free levels though, so you might be better levelling your main to thirty first for the most free exp.

815165 on