As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA (fan)Art Contest WIPs pg3

SonicSonic Absentee LandlordRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Artist's Corner
Its been a long time, but I've started to draw a bit again and I thought I'd go ahead and toss up a dump for it over here.

So a friend of mine out here is turning 30 and she's throwing a big fancy dress party in the theme of gangsters and molls. She asked me to do a flier for it and wanted it to be like an old pulp comic cover she found.

24feb2008gangstergunmolvg1.jpg

Not exactly like an old pulp, but I like it.

Sonic on

• VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thats pretty damn cool Sonic.

I'm not a huge fan of the grayscale figures on the very saturated flier its a bit distracting and its looking a bit flat where they meet at their shoulders. As for the concept I love it and except for what I just mentioned the figures look great.

For the flier I would use a bit darker value for the lettering or the red, right now they kind of clash.

Veritas on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bump the contrast on the grey figures, and your golden.

Greatnation on
  • in_absentiain_absentia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For me, the only glaring thing (aside from lack of contrast) is the guy's hat. It makes the man seem as though he's got a huge forehead. I think that if the left slope was either sharper or if the slope was moved to the right more, it would look correct.

edit: I noticed this because of tam. The lady's right side either has a huge bump, or her bottem torso line doesn't meet with her upper chest line. I hope that makes sense... I don't know how else to explain it.

in_absentia on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How dare you ever stop art-ing.

As Nation said, bump up the contrast. Also, the lady's torso seems too wide around chest-height...and the length of her face kinda makes her look masculine. Don't take me the wrong way though, it's still great.

Tam on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not sure why, but the woman's face is coming off as very masculine to me. It may be its general lack of roundness.

Other than that, looks great.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Not sure why, but the woman's face is coming off as very masculine to me. It may be its general lack of roundness.

Other than that, looks great.

I agree, lower cheekbones and less of a square jaw may solve that. Longer hair wouldn't hurt either.

rts on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    lovely

Projeck on
  • SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And with minor alterations based on the crits:

24feb2008gangstergunmolza7.jpg

Sonic on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey, Sonic! This is looking sweet! What is the name of that block-serif type you're using? Also, watch out for the 'art and design' text on the right, it's gonna get chopped off by the guillotine when you trim the paper... that is, if you trim the paper.

MagicToaster on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Looking at the original cover, I think having the characters in color helped tie the whole thing together. But besides going back and doing everything over, I'd say its perfect. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, your characters are way more rad.

earthwormadam on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would keep the 9 and lose the question marks. Maybe it's just because of Todd Barry's bit about parties that go until ???, but it seems...childish? It makes me think of what would be on a young kid's birthday invitations.

On the bright side, the only thing I can complain about is a few question marks. Great work.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Your not dead? I was hoping you were dead to explain your lack of posting.

The only comment i would make would be- it needs a bit more texture in order for it to look like an old comic- its looking a bit clean. Having the printer dots and some random speckles I think would add a lot more to the mood and feel of the piece.

Heres a 5 second filter job as an example...

gangsterie1.jpg

Otherwise it's awesome as always

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's something off with her right hand shoulder or the top of her chest, I can't put my finger on it but it's not quite right. Apart from that it's freakin great! I wouldn't worry about any masculinity on the woman, after all she is a gun mole. :)

Mustang on
    edited February 2008
    Cybermonkey: I can't get that image to load :( And I was thinking it would look good aged so if you could upload it again or just let me know what you did so I can give it a go that'd be awesome.

Sonic on
  • ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    this is the first time I've heard the term Gun Moll, and i'm very sad for it.

Zarcath on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    the printer's pattern is precisely what it needs, along with some scuffing and ageing - somewhere around here is a scan of the new penny arcade book, based on the Hardy Boys book covers - it has the exact look you're aiming for here. The art is great, the composition is solid, it just needs an extra touch to make it feel like an old pulp novel that has been floating around used book stores for decades.

take a glance at the cover of the first Dr McNinja collection, too. It features a similar effect that would drastically add to the look you're shooting for.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cool piece. I like the characters.

There's a lot of things about the text that are bothering me, particularly the title. The bevel and emboss and the blurred drop shadow don't really fit with the old timey look.

With some more work you could make this piece really stand out.

NibCrom on
    edited August 2008
    At the behest of one, Mr. Firman I have started to draw yet again after a long break.

Just trying to shake the dust off:

09082008haulbats.jpg

09082008rorschach.jpg
    need to fix this one and give it some inks...

09082008retroactivejokerfanart.jpg

09082008rhys.jpg
    name is a placeholder until I can come up with a better one.

more to come...

Sonic on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the joker one is all sorts of <3

beavotron on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do they even have the internet in Swaziland or wherever? How are you even posting this?

CheerfulBear on
    edited August 2008
    I had to fashion a makeshift satellite dish out of a cereal bowl and a pencil, then jerry-rig it to my laptop's internet connection with the wires of an old cellphone.

I don't have much time. :shock:

Sonic on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    this is rad

Projeck on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's good and all, but this alone doesn't free you from my puppet mastery. I demand more sketches, regularly. Also there is a list of people I need you to kill but we'll talk about that in PMs.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Love to see Rorschach finished.

Virum on
    edited August 2008
    11082008rorschachjpg.jpg

still not quite happy with it. Probably cap it off tomorrow... I think I smell a new wallpaper. Hurm.

Sonic on
  • pineconeboypineconeboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rhys is a great name. If at some point in the future I have a male child that's my #1 candidate for what to call him.

pineconeboy on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sonic wrote: »
    snip

still not quite happy with it. Probably cap it off tomorrow... I think I smell a new wallpaper. Hurm.

Yes please.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I saw rorschach in the title and got really excited... then I saw the actual illustration and almost peed a little with joy. Really like the feel :^:

Prospicience on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rorschach isn't doing it for me. I don't think the colors work--Rorschach doesn't separate well from the background. I don't know what's going on with the snowflake stuff either but they look sort of static and flat, like he's standing in a disco or something.

Good to see you posting again.

Scosglen on
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Scos, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Hopefully this helps a bit:

11082008rorschach.jpg

wallpaper version is pending.

Sonic on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think I like how the snowflakes have such a thin line around them and his lines are all thick. Looks out of place. But gawd thats fabulous, crave desktop version.

Kochikens on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I was really trying to go for the comic's look on the snowflakes:
    rorsnow.jpg

But you guys are probably right in that they don't mesh with the thick blacks. But I think having big thick lines on the flakes would look wrong as well and no lines at all doesn't work either. :?

Sonic on
    edited August 2008
    Wallpaper sizes as promised:
    1280x1024
    1280x800

Sonic on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    saved for when i get tired of my radiohead concert pic collage

beavotron on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's great, very much like the comic style. Is it possible to get a version without the quote?

1ddqd on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome, I've been looking for a new wallpaper for a while, this will do nicely.

Mustang on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    great job! I AM USING IT.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hurm

Schlorp

Glurp

Vip

Fugitive on