As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Okami gets Greatest Hits treatment: You now have NO excuse. [NSF56K]

• ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    I still have the excuse of not having a PS2 or Wii

I made it all of last generation without buying a PS2 and I'm not going to start now
    Your loss. You're really missing out on a lot of amazing games, so you're hurting nobody but yourself really.

Arceus on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    But is it $100 worth of awesome?

To be serious I probably will break down and buy a PS2 sometime, not just for Okami but for Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and the God of War games, plus maybe a couple others I'm not thinking of. But not now because I can't afford it

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goddammit, if a Greatest Hits copy arrives here, and I have some money on me, I'm buying a second one so hard. Played the original for two weeks straight. God, I cried like a little baby at the flowers and colours and pink sunsets.

I still have Odin Sphere, Metal Slug Anthology, Wild Arms 5 and FES to get.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008

You're kidding, right? The sheer number of games out on that system, a $100 buy-in to that library is trivial.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You're kidding, right? The sheer number of games out on that system, a $100 buy-in to that library is trivial.

Yep. The PS2 is easily the best value for your money. It's the cheapest system, and it has the largest library of games that's rife with really high-quality titles. Because the system is so old, many of those titles are now Greatest Hits (God Hand 1 & 2, Sly Cooper, Prince of Persia: SoT Trilogy, Bully, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus), used-bin fodder (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, God Hand, GUN, Fatal Frame II, Tomb Raider Anniversary) or available in hyper-value trilogy packs (Metal Gear Solid Collection, Hitman Trilogy, Devil May Cry Trilogy (yes, 2 sucks), Grand Theft Auto Trilogy) for around $30.00.

And if you're an RPG gamer, apparantly the PS2 is the best thing out there for it. I <3 the PS2 - its library is the reason I refused to go for anything but a 60gig PS3.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »

Yep. The PS2 is easily the best value for your money. It's the cheapest system, and it has the largest library of games that's rife with really high-quality titles. Because the system is so old, many of those titles are now Greatest Hits (God of War 1 & 2, Sly Cooper, Prince of Persia: SoT Trilogy, Bully, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus), used-bin fodder (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, God Hand, GUN, Fatal Frame II, Tomb Raider Anniversary) or available in hyper-value trilogy packs (Metal Gear Solid Collection, Hitman Trilogy, Devil May Cry Trilogy (yes, 2 sucks), Grand Theft Auto Trilogy) for around $30.00.

And if you're an RPG gamer, apparantly the PS2 is the best thing out there for it. I <3 the PS2 - its library is the reason I refused to go for anything but a 60gig PS3.

There's also some SMT goodness now and still to come. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria is solid value, Ace Combat, ICO... Lots of stuff.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Good luck finding Ico.

Chance on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good luck finding Ico.

Why? It's not hard to find at all.

Hell, local Sears and K-Marts are selling them for $8-10.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2008
    Good luck finding Ico.

Seriously? Well shut my mouth with pliers - I thought the only way to find a copy these days was to get super-lucky in a used games store or go on Ebay.

A few months ago when I was trying to track down a copy I called every - I kid you not - every game store, every electronics store, every Blockbuster Video in my city and came up with nothin'. Eventually my little brother lent me his copy and thankfully, hasn't asked for it back.

Chance on
    edited August 2008
    Good luck finding Ico.

Seriously? Well shut my mouth with pliers - I thought the only way to find a copy these days was to get super-lucky in a used games store or go on Ebay.

A few months ago when I was trying to track down a copy I called every - I kid you not - every game store, every electronics store, every Blockbuster Video in my city and came up with nothin'. Eventually my little brother lent me his copy and thankfully, hasn't asked for it back.

Well to be fair, we're talking about Sears and K-Mart here. Both are the first places you want to go if you're looking for games that have been out for a while and have disappeared from other retailers.

Shit, till about three years ago, the K-Mart had a couple copies of Suikoden for $20.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okami is overrated.

There is a reason Capcom dissolved Clover, and this is it.

They somehow managed to take the 3D Zelda formula and somehow make it easier and more boring.

It ranks in my book somewhere between the silly Hobbit game rushed out to catch movie hype and Star Fox Adventures.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okami is overrated.

Does this thread look like a toilet?

Renzo on
    edited August 2008
    Okami is overrated.

They somehow managed to take the 3D Zelda formula and somehow make it easier and more boring.

It ranks in my book somewhere between the silly Hobbit game rushed out to catch movie hype and Star Fox Adventures.

Hey

I liked Star Fox Adventures.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Okami is overrated.

Chance on
    edited August 2008
    Actually, The low mark on the scale of last gen Zelda ripoffs is The Hobbit, the "high" mark being SFA. This game is somewhere inbetween.

You'd think my Nintendo fanboyism mixed with my love of the rest of the Clover catalog would be enough for me not to brutalize this game. It's not.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited August 2008
    Okami is overrated.

The first page has quite a few people who agree with me, albiet more diplomatically.

Including the first reply. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okami is overrated.

The first page has quite a few people who agree with me, albiet more diplomatically.

Including the first reply. :P

It's the diplomatic nature that makes it much more agreeable.

Renzo on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I was asking if Okami was $100 worth of awesome.

Yep. The PS2 is easily the best value for your money. It's the cheapest system, and it has the largest library of games that's rife with really high-quality titles. Because the system is so old, many of those titles are now Greatest Hits (God Hand 1 & 2, Sly Cooper, Prince of Persia: SoT Trilogy, Bully, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus), used-bin fodder (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, God Hand, GUN, Fatal Frame II, Tomb Raider Anniversary) or available in hyper-value trilogy packs (Metal Gear Solid Collection, Hitman Trilogy, Devil May Cry Trilogy (yes, 2 sucks), Grand Theft Auto Trilogy) for around $30.00.

Gamecube is the cheapest system (of that generation) these days, not the PS2. A lot of those games you listed are available on other consoles that I do have, or are games I'm simply not interested in.

Also, the PS2 might be the best console out there if you're a JRPG gamer, but I loathe and despise the genre, especially the direction it has gone since the PS1 came out.

I also have a problem with Sony. Call it a pet peeve if you want, it's not 100% rational, but I don't like how they do business, I don't like their consoles or controllers themselves, and I don't like giving them my gaming dollar. That's why I never bought a PS2 last generation, or a PS1 the generation before that, despite the enormity of their game libraries.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tig wrote: »
    I think the first 4-5 hours were awesome, but then the originality of it wears down a bit and the substance is just too thin. I made it about 10-12 hours before I got bored of it.

I also made about 13 hours before finding it too tedious to continue.

This makes me feel like a bad person.

I don't really understand how Okami has any less "substance" than the average Zelda title. It's essentially the same formula but with some platforming added in, and items/equipment replaced by the celestial brush.

the first 4-5 hours are the best

after that it's all tacked on
    after you kill the big demon orochi? NOPE HE'S NOT THE BIG BAD fuck off don't cheapen the ending this way

Nuzak on
  • syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okami alone isn't worth $100, but pick up the Ratchet & Clank games used ($10 or so each) and you have the beginnings of a beautiful console friendship.

syrion on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a Wii, but I hesitated on that version

Should I get this one for less monies and better paintbrush?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited August 2008

Gamecube is the cheapest system (of that generation) these days, not the PS2. A lot of those games you listed are available on other consoles that I do have, or are games I'm simply not interested in.

Also, the PS2 might be the best console out there if you're a JRPG gamer, but I loathe and despise the genre, especially the direction it has gone since the PS1 came out.

I also have a problem with Sony. Call it a pet peeve if you want, it's not 100% rational, but I don't like how they do business, I don't like their consoles or controllers themselves, and I don't like giving them my gaming dollar. That's why I never bought a PS2 last generation, or a PS1 the generation before that, despite the enormity of their game libraries.

Try any SMT game. Try FES! After I played Digital Devil Saga, I can't stop looking at a Final Fantasy game without a sense of disappointment.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, this game was so awesome. I spent a good amount of time just meandering around the environments, enjoying the scenery and the way Amaterasu moved (flowers sprouting up in your wake? Greatest speed indicator ever).

Hell, some of the best moments for me were when you revived the Guardian Saplings and greenery spread through the murky, tainted areas. Gorgeous.

cheez on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is gorgeous and I loved looking at it but I can't stand the Zelda-ish gameplay which is unfortunate since it's so fucking beautiful. Maybe I'll force myself to play through it just so I can experience more of the scenery and music, it's that wonderful.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As much as I really enjoyed this game, I agree with the others who say it runs out of steam after the first "chapter." I was really digging the story and I liked the characters, but I couldn't bring myself to care about anything that happened afterwards. I kept on playing because the core gameplay was still good, if a bit repetitive, and the scenery was good eye candy.

When I replay it though, I just turn it off after that first part and say "The End." Its more satisfying to me that way.

Dirty on
    edited August 2008
    zimfan wrote: »
    I have a Wii, but I hesitated on that version

Should I get this one for less monies and better paintbrush?

Yes.

Chance on
    edited August 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    As much as I really enjoyed this game, I agree with the others who say it runs out of steam after the first "chapter." I was really digging the story and I liked the characters, but I couldn't bring myself to care about anything that happened afterwards. I kept on playing because the core gameplay was still good, if a bit repetitive, and the scenery was good eye candy.

When I replay it though, I just turn it off after that first part and say "The End." Its more satisfying to me that way.

As much as I love this game, it has faults. It isn't that the game runs out of steam, but you get the feeling that you're not trying to fight for your life, you try to speed up the battles as fast as possible.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I bought Okami for the PS2 when it came out. Got about a dozen hours in, but then it was buried under an avalanche of other games that were coming out. I sold it back when I heard a Wii version was coming out intending to buy it again. As soon as I can get it for 20 bucks on Wii new or used I'm in.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh man you've reminded me that I never finished this game... I can't remember why I stopped playing but I really want to get back in now. Just need a PS2...

Shujaa on
  • CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Strifer wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »

As much as I love this game, it has faults. It isn't that the game runs out of steam, but you get the feeling that you're not trying to fight for your life, you try to speed up the battles as fast as possible.

I sort of agree with this - I mean the game does have its faults (but I still adore it) and because of the difficulty level (or rather, lack thereof) I just ended up trying to avoid battles and such. I don't necessarily think it's that big of a deal though... the rest of the game was so much fun and there was so much to do that I didn't mind the lack of combat at all. And the boss battles were epic. Oh and I thought the game only got better as it went on, honestly. More brush powers, better boss battles, better dungeons/level design overall... that last dungeon kicked ass.

A lot of the stuff he listed was PS2 exclusive and totally worth buying a PS2 for. Shit, I'd buy a PS2 just for the Sly Cooper games alone. Not to mention Ratchet & Clank, God of War, SotC, Ico... etc.

Even if you don't like JRPGs the system still has a ton of top notch exclusive titles. If you DO like JRPGs, however, the PS2 is pretty much heaven. What exactly don't you like about them since the PS1 era? I think depending on your reasons there still might be one or two (probably of the more unique offerings) that would appeal to you.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okami is hands down my third favorite game ever (Sorry, but FFT and Castlevania SoTN are my top two).

It's everything I've ever looked for in a Zelda game only prettier.

I would recommend this game to anyone.

Xaquin on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There was a God Hand 2?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I assume it's a brainfart, maybe God of War 2?

LewieP on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    Even if you don't like JRPGs the system still has a ton of top notch exclusive titles. If you DO like JRPGs, however, the PS2 is pretty much heaven. What exactly don't you like about them since the PS1 era? I think depending on your reasons there still might be one or two (probably of the more unique offerings) that would appeal to you.
    Which ones? I generally don't like JRPGs either but my PS2 is mostly collecting dust now anyways so I'm openminded. But please don't just post titles but also a little blurb what's so different about [specific game X] if you can, so that we know why. :)

I played FF12 for a couple of hours but it made me want to stab myself out of boredom after a while. A little more actiony gameplay like Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is always nice. FF12 did look exceedingly gorgeous though, I'll admit that.

Opium on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like how it's apparently acceptable to mindlessly denigrate this game in the thread. A lot of people aren't posting constructive criticism, they're being assholes.

That said, I really love this game. I'm only five or so hours in, but as soon as I find a way to get the TV to myself (my partner is currently in the throes of Dead Rising related passion), I am going to play this. The art direction is spectacular, and I would love to see another game with as many cool little graphical touches as this one.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    Which ones? I generally don't like JRPGs either but my PS2 is mostly collecting dust now anyways so I'm openminded. But please don't just post titles but also a little blurb what's so different about [specific game X] if you can, so that we know why. :)

I played FF12 for a couple of hours but it made me want to stab myself out of boredom after a while. A little more actiony gameplay like Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is always nice. FF12 did look exceedingly gorgeous though, I'll admit that.

Valkyrie Profile Silmeria is probably a good choice if you like Paper Mario. The dungeons are sidescrolling and feature lots of platforming and a good amount of puzzle solving and such. Like Paper Mario, there's no random encounters and hitting an enemy first will give you a benefit, and likewise getting hit first by the enemy will have a negative effect.

The battle system is hard to describe but very unique. I'd say the best way to get an idea of it is to look up some videos. But basically you get put on a 3D plane with enemies running around, and everytime you move enemies move to. They'll only attack you once you're in their line of sight, basically. And you have a gauge that allows you to do special moves like dash so you can try to sneak up behind them before they move. Each character is assigned one of the face buttons and you simply tap the corresponding button to attack with that character (different attacks can be selected via the menu). You can time your characters attacks to rack up huge combos, and if you get a big enough chain going you can unleash a devastating attack called a Soul Crush. There's also ways of breaking off bits of enemies making them more vulnerable and making it harder (or impossible) for them to attack/move.

The Shadow Hearts series is also quite good. The gameplay is mostly typical RPG fare, but the battle system relies a lot on timing and good reflexes. Basically a circle called the Judgment Ring pops up with different "hit areas" and a cursor begins to spin around the ring, press X as it sweeps over each hit area and your attack's/magic's/item's effect will be boosted, especially if you make it into a slim portion at the end of each area called something like the critical area. I forget. Anyway, the first game has a strong horror vibe, the second game (Covenant) is probably the easiest to find and the best in the series (the plot/characters are great.) Still got some horror going on but a lot of humor too. The third ditches the horror in favor of mostly goofy stuff, but the gameplay is still rock solid.

And if you haven't checked out any of the Nippon Ichi strategy games (Disgaea, etc.) I highly suggest you do so. With haste.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    There was a God Hand 2?

Quite so.

I like how it's apparently acceptable to mindlessly denigrate this game in the thread. A lot of people aren't posting constructive criticism, they're being assholes.

That said, I really love this game.

Hey, I do too! I don't mind someone dissing Okami (though I may disagree with what they, I'll defend to the death their right to say it) - but there's a marked difference between being critical and being a forum troll.

Back under your bridge, beast! <pokey stick> Poke poke!

Chance on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    There was a God Hand 2?

Quite so.

That said, I really love this game.

Hey, I do too! I don't mind someone dissing Okami (though I may disagree with what they, I'll defend to the death their right to say it) - but there's a marked difference between being critical and being a forum troll.

Back under your bridge, beast! <pokey stick> Poke poke!

My thoughts exactly.

Also, you all have to swear not to tell anyone, but I totally cried like a little girl during the opening cutscene. It is by far the most moving opening scene ever.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Couldn't stick with this at all. Got maybe six, eight hours in and just couldn't keep going. Zelda has completely spoiled me for adventure games, and this just didn't stack up.

If you are a person who hasn't played a lot of zelda, though, you'll probably love this.

I'm a person who hasn't played a lot of zelda (I played a lot of links awakening as a kid and loved it, and a few of the other games but not too far) and I hated this game. I'm in love with the beautiful art style and the paintbrush concept, but the actual gameplay was as boring as all fuck. About 7ish hours in I put it down when it failed to pick up at all

Also that little bug dude annoyed the living daylights out of me. Always giving me these extremely obvious hints over and over at everything. My friend told me he gets awesome at some point, but at that point for me it would be like covering a big piece of turd with whipped cream and exclaiming that it's now awesome

If they do make a sequel, I really hope they make quality of quantity. I'd rather have 5-10 hours of awesome gameplay over 45 hours of shit gameplay anyday

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited August 2008
    Also, you all have to swear not to tell anyone, but I totally cried like a little girl during the opening cutscene. It is by far the most moving opening scene ever.

Every time - I don't know why, but every time, I will tear up at the end, when Ammy almost gives up. I don't burst out in tears, but I always well up. Just like the end of Sands of Time and Two Thrones when the Prince starts to tell his story to Farah. It's weird.

Yes, Issun will see a puzzle (if you can call 'em that) and tell you exactly what to do, but (1) usually this happens the first time you're presented with a new gameplay mechanic, and (2) Okami isn't a game designed exclusively for the adult market. Yes, it's rated T for teen, but a huge amount of Okami's story, tone, and certainly gameplay design is aimed squarely at a young audience. Teeny gamers don't have our benefit of experience, they need a little hand-holding.

True, true, I am playing Devil's Advocate (straw-grasping) - it wouldn't be bad if Issun could just stfu once in a while. But when 'Devil's Advocate' goes hand-in-hand with 'Okami's Advocate', I'll do it proudly.

Chance on