As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Okami gets Greatest Hits treatment: You now have NO excuse. [NSF56K]

• CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Also, you all have to swear not to tell anyone, but I totally cried like a little girl during the opening cutscene. It is by far the most moving opening scene ever.

Every time - I don't know why, but every time, I will tear up at the end, when Ammy almost gives up. I don't burst out in tears, but I always well up. Just like the end of Sands of Time and Two Thrones when the Prince starts to tell his story to Farah. It's weird.

Yes, Issun will see a puzzle (if you can call 'em that) and tell you exactly what to do, but (1) usually this happens the first time you're presented with a new gameplay mechanic, and (2) Okami isn't a game designed exclusively for the adult market. Yes, it's rated T for teen, but a huge amount of Okami's story, tone, and certainly gameplay design is aimed squarely at a young audience. Teeny gamers don't have our benefit of experience, they need a little hand-holding.

True, true, I am playing Devil's Advocate (straw-grasping) - it wouldn't be bad if Issun could just stfu once in a while. But when 'Devil's Advocate' goes hand-in-hand with 'Okami's Advocate', I'll do it proudly.

I can understand them having Issun there for younger players, but not having an option to turn off his hints or at least be able to quickly skip them was frustrating.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can understand them having Issun there for younger players, but not having an option to turn off his hints or at least be able to quickly skip them was frustrating.

Yep, we can agree on that.

Kinda' stupid that the character who's there to hand-hold younger players is also (very likely) the reason it got a Teen rating.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »
    It's everything I've ever looked for in a Zelda game only prettier.

I've always felt Wind Waker was a better looking game than Okami.

deadonthestreet on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, gotcha, no pointing out that a game is overrated and a tad boring in its own thread.

How about this then?

Phatasy Star II is terrible.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So... Okami now has greatest hit status, eh?

I wonder if Capcom is kicking themselves in the asses for canning Clover studios yet. Fuck you Capcom.

Seriously, fuck you.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why would they?

The studio had unsuccessful game after unsuccesful game.

Sure God Hand and Viewtiful Joe were great but they didn't sell well at all. Then they spent so many years and so much money on a clunker like Okami they pretty much had no choice.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited August 2008
    So... Okami now has greatest hit status, eh?

I wonder if Capcom is kicking themselves in the asses for canning Clover studios yet. Fuck you Capcom.

Seriously, fuck you.

Eh, I have high expectations for Platinum Games. Perhaps they'll do even more impressive work without the yoke of Capcom around their necks. Anyway...
    Wikipedia wrote:
    While it was initially thought that poor sales of Ōkami and God Hand (another Clover title released in the same time frame) were the cause of the closure of Clover Studio, it was later revealed that three key developers within Capcom and Clover Studios, Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil series), Hideki Kamiya (Devil May Cry series), and Inaba, had left the company, and the studio was dissolved, such that "now all the resources should be used more effectively and more efficiently since they are centralized." Inaba, Mikami, and Kamiya went on to form the video game development company "Seeds Inc", later merging with a company called "ODD" to become "Platinum Games".

So essentially, Clover Studios was no longer Clover Studios when Capcom shut 'er down - Mikami, Kamiya and Inaba had already jumped ship - though it's certainly not impossible that a failed game can kill a studio.

Bad sales clearly don't mean bad games, but given the amount games are costing to produce these days it can, unfortuantely, mean the end of a small, genuinely creative studios. I'm very, very happy that Sony, for example, never gave up on Team Ico after it's relatively poor first attempt, sales-wise.

It's also nice to see a giant like EA trying something (relatively) fresh with Mirror's Edge.

Chance on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I dig Okami, though this is the game that dug Clover's grave. Word is that it was insanely expensive to produce, and then it didn't sell all that well. So it's really no surprise Clover got shuttered.

Iffy combat and sometimes awkward flow, yeah, but the game did a great job of sucking me into the game world, and the art and music are fantastic. Holy crap, the music. Now I've got to go listen to it again.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chance, man your brain fart broke my heart man.

I love Godhand like you love Okami. For like five minutes I was like "You what? No that's impossible! He must mean God of War??" *Hope*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    is the Wii version as good as (or better than) the PS2 version? I am one of the ones who is guilty of not getting this game yet, and my ex-GF ran off with my PS2, never to be heard from again. The Wii (or buying a new ps2) is my only option...

DiscoZombie on
  • ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    I'm very, very happy that Sony, for example, never gave up on Team Ico after it's relatively poor first attempt, sales-wise.
    That was Sony's own fault just as much or maybe even more so, so they would've had to fire themselves first. Ico had almost zero marketing whereas SotC got a huge marketing push from Sony. As you can see it makes all the difference in the world.
    is the Wii version as good as (or better than) the PS2 version? I am one of the ones who is guilty of not getting this game yet, and my ex-GF ran off with my PS2, never to be heard from again. The Wii (or buying a new ps2) is my only option...
    Wii has better graphics, and worse control in some areas and better controls in other areas. Since the game was pretty easy to start with you should be handle the more difficult to handle controls in the Wii version and still be ok, so I'd go for that. The graphics got quite a nice boost.

Arceus on
    edited August 2008
    MorningLord:
    Lolz sorry man. I only noticed it after like two people had quoted it, and thought "well, to go back and change it now would be a dirty lie - a lie about typos". So, for future generations who may think there's a God Hand 2:

There is a God of War and a God of War 2 - both are excellent.
    There is a game called God Hand, but not God Hand 2 - though that would be excellent.

There is a brain in my head, but it is not particularly excellent.

Anyway, back to Okami!
    Cloudeagle, I can believe that Okami was expensive to produce - particularly after I heard about all the changes they had made as they developed it. For example, they had at first wanted to do the whole thing in a "realistic" style (one of the skins you can unlock for Ammy is the original, realistic wolf look). I don't remember if the Brush powers or the Wood Block style came first, but one led to the other and they ended up re-doing all the art work to match the new vision (which was a good call).

No doubt the reason they sank so much time and cash into the project was that anyone who saw it expected it to be a mega-hit (which by all rights of quality, it should have been. And like God Hand, it wasn't). Though Arceus makes a good point - with some TV ads it coulda' been huge.

Personally, I never had trouble with the pacing of the game. It always gave me somewhere new to explore, always pushed me in the right direction. I can understand why people could have lost patience with it after the Orochi fight - you're essentially told you didn't actually defeat shit, and here's a new place with some characters you've never met and don't care about to help and care about. But... that's kinda' a part of what I love about adventure games. Meeting all these kooky people and making their day - developing a comfort zone and being thrust outside it - and I found it invariably rewarding.

Helping the little boy to fish.
    Saving his dog.
    Rescuing the Sparrow Princess. Or tiny, relatively-insignificant stuff like blooming a tree in front of a nonbeliever, or helping the little girl who wants to be a fashion designer. I love the simple optimism of this game.

DiscoZombie,
    What Arceus said. Also - the PS2, I'm prepared to say, is the definitive version simply because it's the original. It does not feature widescreen support, and was designed for an SDTV, but it controls beautifully.

Either way, it's Okami, and it's a brilliant game. A bad port of a great game is still a great game - and by all accounts, aside from some waggle issues, the Wii version isn't a bad port. I really gotta' add this shit to the OP.

(Totally off-topic: )
    Holy hot goddamn, the new Siren is frickin' awesome. Just finish Ch. 7 and I feel a pressing need to get back to it.

Chance on
  • ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Sparrow Princess" cracks me up every time. Anybody who remembers the Lemmiwinks episode of South Park knows why.

Arceus on
    edited August 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    "Sparrow Princess" cracks me up every time. Anybody who remembers the Lemmiwinks episode of South Park knows why.

God I loved the end of the Paris Hilton episode. I think there's a Lemmiwinks flash game on Comedy Central's website, actually. Either that or the Canadian Comedy Network site.

Chance on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure the guys behind Okami watched the lemmiwinks ep before they made up all the creatures in Okami. There have to be a Frog King and Catata Fish hidden in there somewhere as well.

Opium on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did some trade-in today, paid off my Rock Band 2 and picked up a copy of this for the Wii.

First impressions are that the plot is still completely throw-away, and Issun bugs the shit out of me, but the game itself (especially the brush) is much better suited to the Wii remote. Who had problems with the Wii remote? May I ask why? It's much more fast and fluid to press B, take a swipe to draw a line and release the trigger than it is to bring up the menu with a shoulder button, slowly press the analog stick in a certain direction and release.

UnbreakableVow on
  • MandoloreMandolore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So okami got a re-release?

Whoever made that decision, deserves a fucking medal. And a parade. A HUGE fucking parade with fireworks, and ninjas, and tigers that fire lasers out of their eyes. Because okami is that fucking good, and deserves a re-release more than any other game I can think of.

Mandolore on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    —Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did some trade-in today, paid off my Rock Band 2 and picked up a copy of this for the Wii.

First impressions are that the plot is still completely throw-away, and Issun bugs the shit out of me, but the game itself (especially the brush) is much better suited to the Wii remote. Who had problems with the Wii remote? May I ask why? It's much more fast and fluid to press B, take a swipe to draw a line and release the trigger than it is to bring up the menu with a shoulder button, slowly press the analog stick in a certain direction and release.

the only time I've ever had a problem with the Wiimote is the crescent moon brush stroke. I've had to do it twice thus far in the game and both times it's taken me over 10 tries (first time took me something like 40+).

other then that, no problems with controls at all.

Xaquin on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have Okami for the PS2 and I last left off as I reached Sei-an/Ryoshima coast and took care of the
    sunken ship.
    Then I just sort of drifted away from it because of a pile of other games... I think. So after pretty much a years hiatus, I've come back to it, and I'm enjoying it once again.

I can understand what people are saying about the pacing though, because it's probably one of the reasons I started to drift away and move on to other games at the time. I'm planning to see it through to the end now.

One of the things I've noticed graphically between the Wii and PS2 versions is despite being more vibrant on the Wii, the outlines on characters seem to be missing that wobbly inky look to them. They just kinda remain static.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    if sales equaled quality Ico would have sold a helluva lot more than its (relatively paltry) 700,000 copies.

I may be alone here, but 700,000 as a "paltry" sales figure blows my fucking mind. Holy christ! 700,000 units? Have you ever seen 700,000 of something? I sure as shit haven't. I couldn't begin to comprehend what that would even look like.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is good news, I've been always trying to keep my eye out for a copy, but hopefully now it will be easier to find one.

Has anyone tried playing this with their PS3? Run into any problems? (I got 60G)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is kind of offtopic but I just found Viewtiful Joe on DS in my local game shop for 20 bucks preowned. Someone traded it in and it's super rare to find it nowadays.

I'm totally stoked. I gots me godhand and okami on ps2, and now I got a viewtiful ds to take with me. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is good news, I've been always trying to keep my eye out for a copy, but hopefully now it will be easier to find one.

Has anyone tried playing this with their PS3? Run into any problems? (I got 60G)
    I played it the other night for roughly 3 hours on my 80 gig and I didn't have any problems.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think Okami would work better if they actually divided the game internally into a few parts, episodes. You could just play the game once, finish it, then choose a new adventure to continue the story... That's their mistake because when you play the game it feels like you've just been on a grand adventure and wooboy we kicked his ass! Except that's only a small part of the game. It's like having Sam&Max Season 1.

And I feel sorry for you Wii owners that didn't get to see the credits. That song made my day, I almost teared up in front of people, and I was already trying hard not to during the whole final boss sequence... That's it, I'm finishing VP2 up and replaying Okami. I need my shiny wolf god fix.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dang,
    I was going to put it on my request list in Goozex, but there are 62 people READY requesting it already, and 0 offers. Guess I'll be waiting for a while.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lukin wrote: »
    if sales equaled quality Ico would have sold a helluva lot more than its (relatively paltry) 700,000 copies.

I may be alone here, but 700,000 as a "paltry" sales figure blows my fucking mind. Holy christ! 700,000 units? Have you ever seen 700,000 of something? I sure as shit haven't. I couldn't begin to comprehend what that would even look like.

There's an extra zero in that number.

I think that might even be worldwide sales.

gtrmp on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wikipedia could be wrong, but according to them, the total sales look to be around 700k. In Japan, it had mediocre sales, but it had decent enough sales in the US. The reason that Clover Studio disbanded wasn't because Okami was a sales failure (it sold decently, if not spectacularly), but because key members of the studio left to do their own thing.

RainbowDespair on
    edited August 2008
    I think it was around 120k for the PS2 back when it mattered.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    seems like everyone played it, I have a hard time believing so few copies were sold.

In other news, I just ordered Okami for the Wii. Hope the controls aren't godawful. I took care to buy it new from Amazon rather than from a reseller because I want my purchase to count.

DiscoZombie on
    edited August 2008
    seems like everyone here played it, I have a hard time believing so few copies were sold.

Forums =/ Market.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome news.

I ought to buy a 2nd copy and give it to a friend. *Issun bouncing noise*
    The Wii version has some discrepancies. Neither can really be called superior without listing some speciic criteria.

PS2 version does not have widescreen support and the brush is controlled with the right analog stick. Easier to draw lines, not quite as easy with circles though in all honesty it handles quite well. All other controls are standard digital buttons, etc. Saturation is lower than Wii, but the game's hardly washed-out (unless your TV settings are fubared). Tends to look the most like Ukiyo-e paintings.

Wii version supports widescreen and supposedly looks better on LCD TVs (it looked blurrier on my 1080i 16:9 Sony Trinitron though, which does not have issues with other games). Wii version is missing the "living ink", and other post-processing visual effects. A few other effects such as bloom and the rice-paper texture are muted. Saturation is high by default, so the coloration looks different. Tends to resemble Wind Waker cel-shading moreso than ink & watercolor paintings. Lack of camera control isn't a minus so much as that "Recenter camera" got less convenient button placement than "Bark". General verdict on combat is "lolwaggle" while brush is "ooh, intuitive motion controls!". The credits sequence was cut from game to remove Clover Studio's name, but you can just watch it on youtube, as well as listen to the unique song in the game's music player.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone actually care about the credits?

UnbreakableVow on
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes.

cheez on
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone actually care about the credits?
    It's not just a boring staff roll, it's a gorgeous animated sequence with a song which reflects back upon all your deeds throughout the game. Quite a nice reward.

IceBurner on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Couldn't they have just ripped it from the PS2 version?

LewieP on
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Couldn't they have just ripped it from the PS2 version?
    Yes, it's even 16:9 and letterboxed so it could have been blown up for widescreen.

The real issue is that it had Clover Studios' logo feature prominently through the last bit of it, and they didn't have the source materials to re-render the film, so like all other mentions of Clover, it was culled.

IceBurner on
    edited August 2008
    In other news, I just ordered Okami for the Wii. I took care to buy it new from Amazon rather than from a reseller because I want my purchase to count.

God bless you, Sir. Specifically the sun God.

Chance on
  • SimbelmyneSimbelmyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Needs more IGN watermark in the boxart.

Speaking of which, did anyone ever get that replacement boxart that Capcom offered back when the Wii version was released and people noticed that? I ordered one then, but so far nothing.

Despite reading somewhere that they were being sent out a few weeks ago I have yet to receive mine as well.

Simbelmyne on
    sig.gif
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Simbelmyne wrote: »
    Dartboy wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Needs more IGN watermark in the boxart.

Speaking of which, did anyone ever get that replacement boxart that Capcom offered back when the Wii version was released and people noticed that? I ordered one then, but so far nothing.

Despite reading somewhere that they were being sent out a few weeks ago I have yet to receive mine as well.

haha

yeah, I ordered mine on day one .... how long ago was that? 4 months at least.

no one will ever see one.

Xaquin on
    edited August 2008
    Out of curiosity, why would you guys order one? Does the IGN watermark really bother you?

UnbreakableVow on