As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Runaways Thread

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    Am I wrong
    For wanting Alex back on the team? And, uh, alive? His betrayal felt really forced at the time.

And yes I've read the part where he's stuck in that white dimension.
    I'd really prefer him to Gert. I think he would actually offer something to the team, whereas Gert... offered basically the same thing, but much less so.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Am I wrong
    For wanting Alex back on the team? And, uh, alive? His betrayal felt really forced at the time.

I'd really prefer him to Gert. I think he would actually offer something to the team, whereas Gert... offered basically the same thing, but much less so.
    are you suggesting that Alex was shagging Chase?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Am I wrong

Also a dinosaur

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Am I wrong

are you suggesting that Alex was shagging Chase?
    Now that would have made things a little more interesting.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I only have the third Hardcover on me right now), but wasn't there a scene in volume 2 where Cloak suggests that one of the team is secretly evil? If so, did BKV only put that in as a red herring, or was it something he'd meant to deal with at a later date but later abandoned as his departure from the series drew near?

Or was that exchange really from volume 1?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2008
    I think Alex is a terrible character.

I'm glad I read spoilers, because I would have stopped reading Runaways if I hadn't.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    I think Alex is a terrible character.

I'm glad I read spoilers, because I would have stopped reading Runaways if I hadn't.
    I don't disagree. He just has more place in the Runaways than Gert. I think it's mostly because I got sick of "adults raarrr!"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah when Cloak visits the Hostel to get help proving his innocence in Vol. 2 he mentions that "a powerful malevolence remains with you." though he does say that "There is a chance I am merely recognizing the dark shadow left behind by your former teammate."

Vol 2. Spoilers
    It may have been hinting at 1980's Geoffery and his gang spying on them I think.

Vol. 1 BIG Spoilers
    Course in Volume one when Cloak has Chase, Nico, Alex, and Karolina inside his Cloak he says that he can "recognize a powerful darkness...". Which turns out to be Alex of course.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Yeah when Cloak visits the Hostel to get help proving his innocence in Vol. 2 he mentions that "a powerful malevolence remains with you." though he does say that "There is a chance I am merely recognizing the dark shadow left behind by your former teammate."

Vol 2. Spoilers
    It may have been hinting at 1980's Geoffery and his gang spying on them I think.

Vol. 1 BIG Spoilers
    Course in Volume one when Cloak has Chase, Nico, Alex, and Karolina inside his Cloak he says that he can "recognize a powerful darkness...". Which turns out to be Alex of course.
    It could also be a reference to Alex's spirit continuing to watch over them, I suppose.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »

Vol 2. Spoilers

Vol. 1 BIG Spoilers
    It could also be a reference to Alex's spirit continuing to watch over them, I suppose.

Yeah that seems more likely, didn't think of that.

manaleak34 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wasn't this also before Chase did his whole idiotic thing?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wasn't this also before Chase did his whole idiotic thing?
    Yeah, but it turned out he wasn't really evil, so it wouldn't apply to him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always assumed he's talking about
    Nico. There's been a lot of hints that The Staff of One isn't a happy thing, full of sunshine and rainbows. Chase even says, when he's about to go sacrifice himself, that he's taking it with him so that it doesn't mess Nico up

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He might've meant
    Victor. I mean, he was built by goddamn ULTRON.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Vic hadn't been introduced yet.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I mean in volume 2. Wasn't Vic introduced by the time they bumped into Cloak then?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, yes.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Padre wrote: »
    So I recently picked up the Whedon volume of Runaways and I was wondering:
    Is there any established difference between Nico's old staff and her new one?

I haven't read any of Terry Moore's other stuff, but I have high hopes of this upcoming Runaways series.
    Since it does seem like a year since we've had a Runaways story, I went back and checked it out and she never exactly says "no" when Molly? asks her if she can make them "forget" again.

That being said, Gert was the best and Alex was annoying. And they didn't really "not use a chance to bring her back" since as Nico said, it would've made things loopy. It was before they even knew about her parents, so who knows what would've happened if he had brought her to the present and kept her there.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Faynor wrote: »

I haven't read any of Terry Moore's other stuff, but I have high hopes of this upcoming Runaways series.
    Since it does seem like a year since we've had a Runaways story, I went back and checked it out and she never exactly says "no" when Molly? asks her if she can make them "forget" again.

That being said, Gert was the best and Alex was annoying. And they didn't really "not use a chance to bring her back" since as Nico said, it would've made things loopy. It was before they even knew about her parents, so who knows what would've happened if he had brought her to the present and kept her there.
    They could've cloned her and then brought one clone to the present. Course, they could probably create a clone of Gert using Deus Ex Machina magic without even having to go to the past.

But it probably wouldn't have a soul and end up being evil.

But Ben Reilly was an alright guy, so who knows?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

They could've cloned her and then brought one clone to the present. Course, they could probably create a clone of Gert using Deus Ex Machina magic without even having to go to the past.

Clor was pretty pretty stand-up for a Souless Cyborg God too, if you don't count the killing guy.

Faynor on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've gotta be honest: I've never been that into American superhero comics, and Runaways is really the only one I buy. So, while I've of course heard of guys like Doctor Doom, I'd never heard of Ultron.

I gotta pretty good idea what he was like when all the people who had been saying "Doom? Eh, we can take em'" went "Holy Fuck!" when they saw Ultron.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Meh. Dr Doom is way better than Ultron any day. DoomBot just sucked.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Doom is tougher, but Ultron is genocidal.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Doom is cooler, and probably a more capable villian, but Ultron is plain scarier.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In regards to Molly's power description in the op, is she really invulnerable? Now I haven't read through the entire series recently, but I honestly can't even remember her ever taking a hit, which is somewhat understandable given her age. Am I forgetting some instance where she got clobbered but was fine, or are we just assuming that she has the typical superhero strength/invulnerable package deal power suite?

Ultarune on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She got hit over the head with a shovel that contains the power of a Norse God and shrugged it off.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ultron is serious business

avengers22.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well in Vol 2. issue 3 Chamber presumably attempts to burn Molly off-panel but she looks perfectly fine, though he may have just missed. In issue 5 she is accidentally hit by one of Karolina's blasts and is thrown at her by Doom. In 8 she gets clobbered by Xavin using a Thing arm and knocked into a bench. After and before that however theres no case where she's hit somehow. In all these cases there's no obvious signs of any real harm but she just may have special protagonist/13-year-old protection rather than invulnerability.

(Oh yeah shovel also, must have skipped that one accidentally, that pretty much covers it there.)

In all honestly I just went with what was on Wikipedia for her powers.

(Yeah I'm a Runaways whore and own all the Hard Covers. On the plus side I can provide accurate info on the series :P )

manaleak34 on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She got hit over the head with a shovel that contains the power of a Norse God and shrugged it off.
    Not just shrugged it off. It broke over her head.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    robos quit deleting posts for no reason

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Clor was pretty pretty stand-up for a Souless Cyborg God too, if you don't count the killing guy.

Next year they'll do a What If? story where Bill Foster lived and we find out that he was actually moonlighting as Black Hitler on the side..

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't remember her getting hit with a shovel.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    When they fight the wrecking crew at the start of the second arc.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She also gets stepped on by a gigantic demon thing. Super strength is one thing, but she manages to withstand that kind of impact and mass without anything more than the usual fatigue that comes with using her super strength.

But yeah, broke the norse god shovel, it's either age related adamantium plot-armour, or some form of invulnerability.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Her powers seem telekinetic in power, like Kon-El's, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch for her to be able to do everything he can do.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Her powers seem telekinetic in power, like Kon-El's, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch for her to be able to do everything he can do.
    She's a psion, actually.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Really? I loaned out my trades to a friend so I can't look through them, but do you know where this is mentioned?

I mean, her parents are telepathic mutants, but I assumed her powers were more along the lines of "regular" super strength and invulnerability (limited, plot armour or otherwise) than psychic in nature.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Really? I loaned out my trades to a friend so I can't look through them, but do you know where this is mentioned?

I mean, her parents are telepathic mutants, but I assumed her powers were more along the lines of "regular" super strength and invulnerability (limited, plot armour or otherwise) than psychic in nature.
    No, her parents are psions as well. I believe it's the 2nd or 3rd issue (when she's resisting the magic sleep spell)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Her parents were both psychic, she mentally activates her abilities, she pulled Cloak's cloak off (which shouldn't be possible by strength alone), and there are a few examples of her knowing things she shouldn't have known (Chamber wasn't Chamber, how Chase survived the first issue of the Whedon run).

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Huh. Could have sworn she was psionic (which would also be mentally activating abilities etc)

Fencingsax on