As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic drawing request (commission based)

Mondo55Mondo55 Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hey there,

Before I start, I am looking to pay a freelance artist.

I've been a member here for awhile and I've seen some pretty amazing comic art over the years, unfortunately I never took the time to see who drew it. I do remember seeing some work that was commissioned and freelance though...which is now what I'm looking for.

What I'm basically looking for is a tattoo for the memory of my grandfather. The why isn't really important to you I know, but the what is.

I'm looking for the traditional scene of Saint Micheal slaying the devil out of heaven
stmichaelL.jpg

BUT!...looking nothing like that old panting style. What I'm looking for is as if it was ripped straight out of a comic book. A style along the lines of this:

outsiders_22_02-03_i.jpg
full image http://bp2.blogger.com/_OWkCccnaYDo/RoHdrDt3CnI/AAAAAAAAAAk/QBwt5VGHJvo/s1600-h/outsiders_22_02-03_i.jpg

With the dynamic sharp inked look and the comic character style. The tattoo itself would be simply black and gray, little to no really shading much like this drawing posted above.

SO if anybody would be able to tell me who could do this and where I could find them, I'd really appreciate it. I know how things go in here, and if there is a request thread somewhere that I've missed, I'm going to get bombarded with sarcastic witty comments. This is a chance I'll have to take.

Mondo55 on

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I will suggest that first of all, this thread is going to be locked as new threads are reserved for artists who want critique on their work
    this should be posted in the sticked questions thread at the top of the page

also, tattoo art is something that i feel is at times best designed by a tattoo artists. Most recognized tat artists are exceptional artists and most importantly, they have a feel for how something is going to transfer onto your skin, and can design with that in mind

There are tons of gorgeous comic designs out there that look great on paper but trashy on skin. As far as I know, there are no actively posting tattoo artists on this forum that could give their input, but it seems to me like any other art form. If a person is used to working with acrylic on canvas, and you ask them to design something with markers on bristol, it's probably not going to turn out quite the same as if you were to give it to someone with equal artistic skills and more experience with markers on bristol

get what i'm saying?
    it's your skin, it's permanent, talk to your tattoo artist, they will be able to come up with something great for you that they know will look good on your body.

beavotron on
  • Mondo55Mondo55 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fair enough. It is my skin and it is permanent. I spent a while now looking at tattoos on the internet, especially comic book tattoos and I've seen them transfered over very well in most cases. But I need a reference picture, if I were to give a tattoo artist what I supplied here, unless he had previous experience with drawing comics, he or she wouldn't be able to do it. Most tattoo artist if you give them a reference are able to copy it well enough, but the reference is what I'm lacking. Well if it is to be locked, I will stop rambling now.

Maybe re-post it. I'll have some words with my tattoo artist and see what he says. One way or the other the picture is still something I would like done.

Thanks.

Mondo55 on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mondo55 wrote: »
    Fair enough. It is my skin and it is permanent. I spent a while now looking at tattoos on the internet, especially comic book tattoos and I've seen them transfered over very well in most cases. But I need a reference picture, if I were to give a tattoo artist what I supplied here, unless he had previous experience with drawing comics, he or she wouldn't be able to do it. Most tattoo artist if you give them a reference are able to copy it well enough, but the reference is what I'm lacking. Well if it is to be locked, I will stop rambling now.

Maybe re-post it. I'll have some words with my tattoo artist and see what he says. One way or the other the picture is still something I would like done.

Thanks.

This painting IS a reference picture. If you give it to your tattooer and he isn't good enough to go in back and come up with a comic styled design based on that classical painting, then frankly I wouldn't let him anywhere near me with a needle.

Scosglen on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah that's the thing, there are good tattoo artists, great tattoo artists, phenomenal tattoo artists and people who should not call themselves tattoo artists.

you go to a good tattoo artist if you want something simple and iconic
    something like this, take it to a really phenomenal artist and they will give you exactly what you want
    you will have to pay extra and probably be wait listed for up to a year.
    but i guarantee the end result will leave you much happier than if you had gotten a non tattoo artist to draw it for you then got a half assed tattoo artist to trace it onto your skin. (also you might end up paying the same amount of money either way since you would have to pay the freelancer and the tattoo artist if you went this route, and if you went with getting a good tattoo artist to do the whole thing, it's just the one fee, obviously a bit more expensive than bringing in your own design, but surprisingly, not always much more expensive.)

the ones who are really good will draw it for you exactly how you want it but in a way that makes it look top notch on skin, which is exactly what you want for such a detailed comic drawing.

I would say do what makes you happy, but I've seen way too many botched tattoo jobs where friends brought drawings that they or i or someone else did into a shitty tattoo artist and ended up unhappy.
    a good tattoo artist will also not just carbon copy your design onto something and transfer it right onto skin either, they'll redraw it to fit whatever body part you're getting it tattooed to.
    Obviously a good thigh tattoo is going to look different and be laid out differently than one that spans your upper back.
    So if your tattoo artist sucks at drawing at all, then they'll probably even screw up on a pre-made design.

edit: you're in ontario, so i looked up some tattoo artists in your province:
    http://www.chrismoniz.com/chris_moniz_tattoo.html
    this guy seems awesome

beavotron on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quickly in before the lock... Basically what Beav said.

(Good) Tattoo artists are actual artists too, they don't just trace other people's designs all day every day.

I worked for a short while in a tattoo studio and drew a lot of stuff out for people (although never progressed to actually doing any tattooing of my own), and I always tell people, get the artist to draw what you want.

If they can't draw it on paper, they can't draw it on your skin!

Grenn on
  • Mondo55Mondo55 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    beavotron, thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help. I'm going to go check out the tattoo artists you found. I've actually never heard of the place and I've been searching for a little while now. I'm more than willing to wait on a waiting list as long as it's what I'm looking for in the end.

Again, you were a lot of help and I appreciate it. Grenn, you're right, if they can't draw it on paper I may want to think twice about them putting it permanently on my arm.

Mondo55 on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Another happy customer.

Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.