As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Knight

• Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Hey you guys know what was a good movie?

The Dark Knight.

I liked that one.

I still need to catch it on Imax. I've been kinda putting it off for now, but it's probably better to see it soon rather than risk them replacing it with something else.

I mean, sure, it'll be there for ages because movie theatres like money as much as anyone else, and shows are still selling out, but with my luck I'll decide to finally catch it and it'll have been replaced with something stupid the day before.

I really want to see it in Imax, but the closest one is two hours away. With gas and tickets I'm looking at like thirty to forty bucks for a movie.

Mr Pink on
  • ClausClaus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey you guys know what was a good movie?

The Dark Knight.

I liked that one.

I still need to catch it on Imax. I've been kinda putting it off for now, but it's probably better to see it soon rather than risk them replacing it with something else.

I mean, sure, it'll be there for ages because movie theatres like money as much as anyone else, and shows are still selling out, but with my luck I'll decide to finally catch it and it'll have been replaced with something stupid the day before.

I really want to see it in Imax, but the closest one is two hours away. With gas and tickets I'm looking at like thirty to forty bucks for a movie.

Having just seen it in IMAX, and working in an IMAX theatre I can safely say it is not worth that much time or money. It's a bit nicer, but if you've already seen it, I say why bother?

Claus on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    It's easy - Chevy Chase sucks. Rodney Dangerfield, meh. There are better 80s movies.

I'll say a prayer for you tonight
    Lord, let this fool's soul not burn in hell
    He knows not what he says
    Forgive his blasphemy, O Lord
    But a nice bout of herpes would be nice, if you don't mind
    Amen

Me Too! on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    dangit wiggin why I gotta agree with you

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Because Caddyshack and Animal House are goddamn classics
    The number of times I've shouted Bluto's defiant "It's not over" speech is too high to count
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!"
    "The Germans?" "Don't stop him, he's on a roll."

Me Too! on
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Claus wrote: »
    Having just seen it in IMAX, and working in an IMAX theatre I can safely say it is not worth that much time or money. It's a bit nicer, but if you've already seen it, I say why bother?
    It's not just a bit nicer. It's much better in IMAX. The whole experience is more immersive, and the IMAX aspect ratio filmed segments are how the film was intended to be seen. That said, a two hour drive? Hells no.

Seol on
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rans wrote: »
    i liked blade 2!

mostly i like the NOW I HAVE TO TEAM UP WITH MY GREATEST ENEMIES TO FIGHT AN EVEN MORE HORRIBLE ENEMY premise and the vampire team that worked with Blade was pretty cool.

I just liked it because half of BROS. was the bad guy. Well okay that and 50% of the fight coreography being done by Donnie Yen. In fact the only thing that would make a movie more of an instant watch for me is fight coreography by William Shatner.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, DKR is #1 again making it 4 weeks in a row. Anyone think it has a shot at Titanic? Its only like 20m away from Star Wars at #2. Thing seems to have some serious legs

smokmnky on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So, DKR is #1 again making it 4 weeks in a row. Anyone think it has a shot at Titanic? Its only like 20m away from Star Wars at #2. Thing seems to have some serious legs

It should be noted that the only reason it kept the #1 spot this weekend was that Pineapple Express opened two days early. Everyone who wanted to see it on opening night saw it on Wednesday, instead of Friday, and the weekend tally only goes Friday-Sunday. Over its first 5 days Pineapple Express went around $40mil i think.

KalTorak on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chevy Chase sucks.

You are my enemy. I shall fight you till the end of time itself if needed.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

WB doesn't seem to think so

they estimate the final tally at around $520 mil, compared to Titanic's $600 mil

Diablo Fett on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    Titanic was the #1 movie in the country for like two months. I don't think anything is going to catch it until inflation catches up. And Dark Knight has been steadily dropping off as the weeks wear on, and I would be really surprised if Tropic Thunder or Clone Wars doesn't knock it down from #1 this week.

DJ Eebs on
  • bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seol wrote: »
    Claus wrote: »
    It's not just a bit nicer. It's much better in IMAX. The whole experience is more immersive, and the IMAX aspect ratio filmed segments are how the film was intended to be seen. That said, a two hour drive? Hells no.

I haven't seen it at imax yet, but it was extremely enjoyable at the regular theater, so I'm good.

bychance on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Titanic was the #1 movie in the country for like two months. I don't think anything is going to catch it until inflation catches up. And Dark Knight has been steadily dropping off as the weeks wear on, and I would be really surprised if Tropic Thunder or Clone Wars doesn't knock it down from #1 this week.

I can't see Tropic Thunder making much of a splash, but I expect Clone Wars to make bank, easily.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I can't see Tropic Thunder making much of a splash, but I expect Clone Wars to make bank, easily.

I think you are quite wrong.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah, i don't think the clone wars is quite the draw that lucas hopes it will be

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2008

Maybe I'm underestimating the appeal of Robert Downey Junior in blackface.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008

Maybe I'm underestimating the appeal of Robert Downey Junior in blackface.

anecdotal evidence speaks!

all my friends are crazy for tropic thunder.

none of my friends (not even the totally star wars guy who has one of those super-expensive light-up lightsabers) are even vaguely interested in clone wars

maybe it'll bring in the kiddie dollar. but mom and pop are probably gonna see tropic thunder
    see pineapple express, too!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Dark Knight is affecting our youth. More vandalism seen around in NYC (no, I didn't do it). How long will it take the parents (who take every opportunity to blame their child's poor behavior on the media) will be making complaints?

whysoseriousvandle-439x330.jpg

Although I think it's pretty missing the point of WSS to put a smiley face on a picture of someone who is already smiling. Must of been a poser.

bychance on
    edited August 2008
    fuck yeah!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm sure someone will cry out somewhere, but if it wasn't that catchphrase, it would've been something Captain Morgan'y, or a big yellow smiley face, or something about dongs.

While the posters/campaign clearly inspired the final product, I suspect the vandals would've gona a'vandalizin' whether they used a Joker motif or not.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited August 2008
    vandalism was kind of what the ad campaign was about

granted it was fake vandalism, but I don't know that these people would have gone vandalizin' if there wasn't a dark knight ad campaign

DJ Eebs on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think vandals will be vandals. People that wouldn't normally deface something like that were probably not 'pushed' by TDK.

Mr Pink on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guys I think you're being overly negative about vandalism. Culture jamming is pretty good. As long as I'm not the one doing it so I don't get arrested.

Mai-Kero on
    edited August 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Guys I think you're being overly negative about vandalism. Culture jamming is pretty good. As long as I'm not the one doing it so I don't get arrested.

What part of appropriating the imagery of a major ad campaign and then using it for basic vandalism, without a hint of irony, falls under the definition of culture jamming?

Robos A Go Go on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

What part of appropriating the imagery of a major ad campaign and then using it for basic vandalism, without a hint of irony, falls under the definition of culture jamming?

You just answered your own question.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited August 2008
    It's viral marketing at best. Regardless of where you put your ad for the Dark Knight, it's still an ad for the Dark Knight unless there's some way to interpret the image that goes beyond, "I really liked this movie."

If I put an ad for Trojan condoms over a picture of a realtor, it's still just an ad for Trojan condoms.

If I put it over an ad for diapers or some other symbol of parenthood, it becomes a statement against breeding.

Only the latter is culture jamming.

Robos A Go Go on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Why? What's good about it? If there is no message being communicated, how is it even remotely positive?

mattharvest on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I tried.

Mai-Kero on
    edited August 2008
    The Dark Knight dropped to number three behind Tropic Thunder and Star Wars: The Clone Wars this weekend, but it also jumped into #2 on the all-time chart, behind Titanic, and it'll probably stop there.

DJ Eebs on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Dark Knight dropped to number three behind Tropic Thunder and Star Wars: The Clone Wars this weekend, but it also jumped into #2 on the all-time chart, behind Titanic, and it'll probably stop there.

Until people factor in inflation, at which point it needs to make roughly 1.2 quadrillion dollars, or some shit.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Until people factor in inflation, at which point it needs to make roughly 1.2 quadrillion dollars, or some shit.

Yeah, but factoring in inflation puts "Gone With the Wind" on top at like $3.5 bajillion, considering movie tickets cost like a penny back then - half a penny if you had an onion tied to your belt, which was the style at the time...

KalTorak on
    edited August 2008
    it turns out Dark Knight only dropped to number two, behind Tropic Thunder but ahead of Star Wars

and it's still like $140 million shy of catching Titanic, and Dark Knight only made $17 million or so this weekend, so it looks like it's just going to settle in at #2 all-time

DJ Eebs on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    it's funny that the two most succesful films of all time are both loooooooooooong films

Tube on
  • The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    it's funny that the two most succesful films of all time are both loooooooooooong films

People like longer movies when they don't suck.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

This does not explain TITANIC.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008

This does not explain TITANIC.

Well, I think I can explain Titanic.

I hated it. And I saw it TWICE.

You see, most women love that sort of movie. They make up roughly half of the population. Many of that half of the population have boyfriends or husbands. In order for those boyfriends and husbands to see a movie like Batman, we usually have to cave in and see Titanic. So now you have large portions of the male population being forced to watch the movie. Then there are the pre-teen girls who watch movies over and over again.

Also, somebody sold their soul to the Devil.

And as for seeing it twice ? If you break up with a girl during the run of a major chick flick, do NOT start dating a new girl with a trip to the movies.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You don't have to make up excuses, Dark Hillbilly. It's perfectly OK if you saw the movie twelve times, by yourself, and that it inspired you to both start a life journal, and to take up photography.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    girls loved it for the romance guys loved it for the action when the ship went down and titties, it catered to everyone. that's pretty much how it happened.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited August 2008
    You don't have to make up excuses, Dark Hillbilly. It's perfectly OK if you saw the movie twelve times, by yourself, and that it inspired you to both start a life journal, and to take up photography.

lol, really ?

Some of my favorite people have journals. Frank Castle and Rorschach to start with.
    Peter Parker is a photographer.....
    I just don't see those as valid insults. Try saying that I have a flower garden and weave baskets or something.

The Dark Hillbilly on