As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2008 Button Exchange! I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

• PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just realized I kinda messed up the design for mine... oh well, it's alright. :P

Psychoish on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Coincidentally, my buttons arrived today!!!! Photo soon. They look amazing :D

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just goes to show ya...have faith! Your buttons will arrive!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    yah, getting stuff shipped by USPS/Canada Post is something of a crapshoot most times. First order took 24 days, second order took 18 days. Third order hasn't arrived yet, was ordered on the 16th of July.

My order went in on 15 July, shipped on 25 July, and arrived 11 August. I think the real problem is just the Customs handling, they're a bunch of wankers.

b0wser on
    edited August 2008
    btw, thanks everyone who offered to help me with my order!

Photos!
    Group Shot
    buttons.PNG
    Sumi Button
    sumibuttons.PNG
    Armada Button
    skullbuttons.PNG

All extremely good detail. the camera on my phone totally effed it, but there's the proof! :D

but when it comes to the master list, can we put my graphic instead of the photo of the button? This photo totally butcher's the design.

Sumi on
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    Rayman wrote: »
    haha, yeah, those are one of my bonus buttons, so theres only going to be 25 of them, and I'm not sure the stipulations yet :P
    Ummm...since I am your dad and I DID pay for PAX, Pre PAX Dinner, Initial buttons for you, your sis and myself, and BYOC I think I may deserve one piddly bonus button....ha.
    r

I soooooo cant wait for PAX....gonna go into overload mode now....

Yeah, of course you and savie are guaranteed one of each of the bonuses :P

Would you trade a WSS for a copy of the Gotham Times? :winky:

On another note, I posted a pic of my button reverse-shoplifted in Boston in the last thread, but I'm still in the "have design" list. Here it is again:
    2680227585_c5490e8a0f.jpg
    Mine is the "Ariock has a posse" pin on the far left.

More like "Ariock wishes he was Andre" lol... I still want one because of the OBEY reference tho :P

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lol, I saw that waffleboi9.

And Sumi: I'm so glad you buttons finally came in. They are a couple of my favorite designs I've seen so far and I was worried for you.

redhalo on
    edited August 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Well I have no idea when they are going to show up, but when they do show up they are going to moes house and I'm not seeing them until PAX.

I understand your desire for accuracy but I think this is a bit silly.

If I just put everyone on the list on word alone then that also include the people that PAX is generating that post for a week and then disappear. They may have they best intentions, but that doesn't make them less flighty. In that event everyone would want to be added to the "Invested" list from the start as requests have proved. Now you have only one list with a large random assortment of names half of which don't have pics...probably most of the don't have pics since there's no reason to post them now. This makes the list essentially useless, so as thread creator I now have a decision to make; I either piss of a few people who are in unique situations or I piss off everyone with a useless list.

I'm not trying to be a dick about this for the sake of being a dick, really. The only list that will matter in the end for anything is the google spreadsheet anyhow. If the majority of you guys really just want one combined unorganised list then express your opinions and I'll do so.

redhalo on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Armada button ftw.

parabola on
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Hi dudes I'm looking forward to trading buttons this year. but I'm already thinking about next year!

you see I'm a real life game designer!
    look here is proof

anyway I'm thinking next year when we organize a button trade again we could actually make a real collectible game out of it!

How it would work is i would create the game system along with rules for designing your own custom button. I would also provide templates for players to add their image to the button along with the game information.

this way we would have a game to play at pax after we traded buttons.

while i would own the game system (i am a professional designer after all) each year the special PAX set would be open for anyone to create a button.

so does this sound like something fun to do?

super... on
    edited August 2008
    super... wrote: »
    Hi dudes I'm looking forward to trading buttons this year. but I'm already thinking about next year!

you see I'm a real life game designer!
    look here is proof

anyway I'm thinking next year when we organize a button trade again we could actually make a real collectible game out of it!

How it would work is i would create the game system along with rules for designing your own custom button. I would also provide templates for players to add their image to the button along with the game information.

this way we would have a game to play at pax after we traded buttons.

while i would own the game system (i am a professional designer after all) each year the special PAX set would be open for anyone to create a button.

so does this sound like something fun to do?

That's a fantastic idea actually, but if I ran something like that I would want to keep it noncommercial and open.

redhalo on
    edited August 2008
    While i respect non commercial efforts i really think things like table top games benifit from a capitalistic system (compare the success and availability of icehouse or treehouse game pieces to that of the open source piece pack. while i would love to own a piece pack i have never had the opportunity to buy one in a store)

Creating a game system is a massive undertaking when done to a high standard. it would easily take more then a whole month worths of production time. were talking intense 5am-9pm work days.and then even longer given play testing and polishing. This is not really something i would want to invest my time in without some small sliver of a chance of a hope that i may be someday reimbursed for the time.

The PAX created set(s) would be to seed interest in licensing the system to a publisher or for me to self publish a few sets each year.

so it would be totally open for pax attendees to make buttons for distribution at pax. However there would still be the possibility for me to make some cash outside of pax.

super... on
    edited August 2008
    While i respect non commercial efforts i really think things like table top games benifit from a capitalistic system (compare the success and availability of icehouse or treehouse game pieces to that of the open source piece pack. while i would love to own a piece pack i have never had the opportunity to buy one in a store)

Creating a game system is a massive undertaking when done to a high standard. it would easily take more then a whole month worths of production time. were talking intense 5am-9pm work days.and then even longer given play testing and polishing. This is not really something i would want to invest my time in without some small sliver of a chance of a hope that i may be someday reimbursed for the time.

The PAX created set(s) would be to seed interest in licensing the system to a publisher or for me to self publish a few sets each year.

so it would be totally open for pax attendees to make buttons for distribution at pax. However there would still be the possibility for me to make some cash outside of pax.

That's cool and all, but this is a casual community run event. I'm not wanting it to be used for anyone's personal gain, there would be a conflict of interest.

edit: Let me elaborate better. As a community ran event, this should be designed by the community. I don't feel it would be right to have everyone's involvement and then copyright it and profit. The forums here are not the place for that.

redhalo on
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so is this gonna be like a tbale top card game or pogs? cause they already did pogs.

Petesalzl on
    edited August 2008
    it would be a totally original game. and would likely be strategy/dexterity, so somewhere in between TCG and POGs.

If the community don't want it, i wont push it. this community is every kind of cool and i don't want to ruin that.

super... on
  • RaptorRaptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I ordered mine back on the 8th, of course it was last minute as is so popular with me (there was some issue getting the image uploaded to Purebuttons on the 7th). I also finally remembered while in front of a computer that I should probably post about it.
    RaptorButtonPreview.jpg

Real pictures when they get here. Presuming I remember. :D

-Edit-

Er, the image DID work, but now the file is broken. *sigh* I'll have to fix it when I get back to my home computer.

-Edit 2-

ALL FIXED

Raptor on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    that image doesn't work :D

tr0tsky on
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fantastic button HAklowner!

PB webpage still says "In Production" for me, and I'm in Canada... bleh, I wouldn't mind receiving them so I could just get it off the list of time sensitive stuff I have to to before PAX!

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

PB webpage still says "In Production" for me, and I'm in Canada... bleh, I wouldn't mind receiving them so I could just get it off the list of time sensitive stuff I have to to before PAX!

Might want to consider getting the shipping address changed what with all the customs horror stories in the thread.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »
    Well I have no idea when they are going to show up, but when they do show up they are going to moes house and I'm not seeing them until PAX.

I understand your desire for accuracy but I think this is a bit silly.

If I just put everyone on the list on word alone then that also include the people that PAX is generating that post for a week and then disappear. They may have they best intentions, but that doesn't make them less flighty. In that event everyone would want to be added to the "Invested" list from the start as requests have proved. Now you have only one list with a large random assortment of names half of which don't have pics...probably most of the don't have pics since there's no reason to post them now. This makes the list essentially useless, so as thread creator I now have a decision to make; I either piss of a few people who are in unique situations or I piss off everyone with a useless list.

I'm not trying to be a dick about this for the sake of being a dick, really. The only list that will matter in the end for anything is the google spreadsheet anyhow. If the majority of you guys really just want one combined unorganised list then express your opinions and I'll do so.

Besides, being in either the "absolutely 100% committed here's pics as proof" list OR the "Hey, here's my design" list gets you onto my special PM list about the erm... well, if you're on the list, then you already know.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • ariocksayssqueeariocksayssquee Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    More like "Ariock wishes he was Andre" lol... I still want one because of the OBEY reference tho :P

I didn't even come up with the idea. A friend made a banner for me after I blogged about some problems I was having with a douche getting my name changed on Twitter. Then I had the bright idea to use it for the button exchange.

But Andre did rock.

Anybody want a peanut?

ariocksayssquee on
    edited August 2008
    Raptor wrote: »
    I ordered mine back on the 8th, of course it was last minute as is so popular with me (there was some issue getting the image uploaded to Purebuttons on the 7th). I also finally remembered while in front of a computer that I should probably post about it.
    RaptorButtonPreview.jpg

Real pictures when they get here. Presuming I remember. :D

A broken image... haha now there's an idea for next year.

or a button that just says 404.

Sumi on
  • MinjaMinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Buttons! :D
    buttons.jpg

Minja on
    katamaribanner.jpg
    edited August 2008
    must get a hello ninja

super... on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    must get a hello ninja

...It says "Hello Minja"

And funny enough, I know a Minja. Not this one, obviously.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    must get a hello ninja

...It says "Hello Minja"

I know this one!

And Minja, you should soooooooo cosplay as a yellow Minja hehe

She hides in sunbeams and daisys!

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    edit: Let me elaborate better. As a community ran event, this should be designed by the community. I don't feel it would be right to have everyone's involvement and then copyright it and profit. The forums here are not the place for that.

I kind of understand what your saying, but it would not really be copyrighting other peoples work. think of it this way.

wizards of the coast lets everyone on this forum make and print their own magic cards to trade with other people during PAX. This does not earn wizards any money and wizards does not hold copyright to the cards made for PAX. however wizards still owns magic and makes their own magic card to sell to the public.

Essentially the only benifit i would get is a bit of promotion. The community would get a super cool game for free!

but any way you slice it button trading is totally cool!

super... on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    must get a hello ninja

...It says "Hello Minja"

I know this one!

And Minja, you should soooooooo cosplay as a yellow Minja hehe

She hides in sunbeams and daisys!

And daffodils! Don't forget daffodils! And sunflowers, most definitely.

Officer on
  • strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've created and ordered my buttons on Friday (8/8/08). I'll post again when I receive them. This is my design. I know I'm a little new to the forums, but I'll be posting a bit more until PAX rolls around, and I hope to get to know everyone better!
    03.jpg

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    b0wser wrote: »
    yah, getting stuff shipped by USPS/Canada Post is something of a crapshoot most times. First order took 24 days, second order took 18 days. Third order hasn't arrived yet, was ordered on the 16th of July.

My order went in on 15 July, shipped on 25 July, and arrived 11 August. I think the real problem is just the Customs handling, they're a bunch of wankers.

Bollocks. Mine still have yet to arrive, and they shipped on the 24th. They were also unfortunately more blatantly communist than tr0tsky's.... will they ever arrive? :(

Theros on
  • WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Super Kick Ass Announcement:

Zephyril talked to Purebuttons and they are shipping out a new batch centered and correct. :D

So, he will have 100 correct buttons, and the misprints are his bonus buttons. :D

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Strife23Strife23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Theros wrote: »
    b0wser wrote: »

Bollocks. Mine still have yet to arrive, and they shipped on the 24th. They were also unfortunately more blatantly communist than tr0tsky's.... will they ever arrive? :(

I just got my second order yesterday and I had placed it back on the 24th. I'm in the states and it still took 17 days. I think they've just fallen a little behind with the 5 billion orders we've all sent them.

Strife23 on
    I feel like I've passed an arbitrary experience point limit and gained more power.
    Strife23105039_thintag.gif
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    skarsol wrote: »

Might want to consider getting the shipping address changed what with all the customs horror stories in the thread.

Shipping address changed? To whom/what/where?

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shipping address changed? To whom/what/where?

To your hotel or to someone in the States who'll bring them to you at PAX.

tr0tsky on
  • MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kudos to redHalo on not making the buttoneering a comercial enterprise :^: (no offense intended super). Forum events are fun because they are casual. It's a bunch of online friends getting to know each other IRL.

And BTW I see this thread(s?) officially overflowed with coolness. 8-)

MR.T on
  • JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure when my buttons are shipping, but here's an image of what they look like:

josheeebutton.jpg

Here's the original version of the logo as seen on my shirt in the Omegathon at the first PAX.

PAX%202004%20111.jpg
    Taken right after the (insanely close) DDR round.

PAX%202004%20113.jpg
    Our group at lunch that day.

JoshEEE on
    Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
  • SableSable Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm...I submitted my order on 8/5/08 with rush processing, and they are still "in production..."

Man, we really must have gummed up the works. :)

Sable on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've created and ordered my buttons on Friday (8/8/08). I'll post again when I receive them. This is my design. I know I'm a little new to the forums, but I'll be posting a bit more until PAX rolls around, and I hope to get to know everyone better!
    03.jpg

I joined the forums specifically to become a part of the button exchange. This is an excellent way to meet new people. I can't wait to see all of you in Seattle!

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • SableSable Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey, awesome. I just got shipping notification. Leet!

Sable on
  • lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WARNING
    Despite the protests from Moe_Fwacky, I have kept the Google Button Form open past the deadline. However, the deadline that I'm enforcing is coming up. I'm going to be closing the form TONIGHT.

If you do not have a picture of your actual buttons because they have not shipped or have not been sent to YOU, then submit a picture of the the image file the button is printed from.

Again, the form is going to be closed TONIGHT. Moe_Fwacky needs time to actually put this list together.

Also, the list is up to 149 unique players. Pretty intense

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
This discussion has been closed.