As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed: Discreet Shankings Abound

124»

• chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Counter-kills with anything but the long sword are awesome. Gives The Punisher a run for its money in the sheer brutality department.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    Counter-kills with anything but the long sword are awesome. Gives The Punisher a run for its money in the sheer brutality department.

Hey, the longsword has a pretty good counter though. They basically run themselves through with your sword. Oh man is it bloody.

I could never pull off the rooftop to ground kill. One of those guys in Jerusalem was in a corner. I pretty much just flopped down, fell over, then fought a huge group of guards. I wish I could have just done a cool shank.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's been awhile since I played this, but I'm thinking about starting up a new game with all HUD and maps off. If I do, how do I navigate around the countryside? Are there signposts I can follow to each city? Can't remember.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Instead what we get is "Thanks for helping us out. Will we let you go? Maybe. Go get some sleep." And then nothing. That's not an ending, that's the lazy way by taking an axe to your plot.

TL;DR: Writers need to understand the meaning of the word dénouement.

I won't disagree with your point about there being no falling action or denouement, but based on what you said in your spoiler, I have to ask:
    did you not see all the crazy mumbo-jumbo shit painted all over the walls after the last present-day sequence? (After beating the game myself, I wondered how many people just turned the game off without exploring the area and finding all that kooky shit everywhere. Or whether you could miss some of it if you hadn't pursued the entire dialogue-based "sidequest" with the lab assistant chick earlier in the game.)

I know it didn't really wrap up the story of Assassin's Creed at all, but it sure as hell made me look forward to a sequel, and confident that they had plans to tie the present-day stuff in with whatever the next game's about.
    Between Visions of the Future, Conversationalist, and all the emails, you learn about a good chunk of what's going on in the outside world, and that's what the game is about. Altair and the middle ages is just something for you to do to build context between those Desmond sequences where the story is progressed. The important thing to keep in mind is that it is the outside world you're learning about. Desmond is not a part of it, and (based on his dialogue) he doesn't want to be. That's why it ends as it does. All you've known over the course of the game is that room. There's a world out there with weird shit in it, and it's reflected through all the things you find around you, but you aren't escaping, no one's coming to save you, and in the end there's there's nothing for Desmond beyond that room. In that sense, it is a self-contained story despite the obvious cliffhanger. I really think a more traditional ending would've undermined a lot of that.
    Also, turning the HUD off makes the game not suck.

Monger on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is there a HUB Turn-off-doohicky in the game or do I have to do a mod or somthing?

This game is pretty much sold to me.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, it's right there in the game menu.

LewieP on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Yeah, it's right there in the game menu.

Sounds good, I'll order it sometime.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I turned the HUD off for the first time and it really is a different experience. Not having an indicator that shows you are being watched forces you to be more careful and stealthy.

But I find I need the GPS on, otherwise I have to look at my map every 10 seconds.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • MYTHOS20000MYTHOS20000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Korlash wrote: »
    I turned the HUD off for the first time and it really is a different experience. Not having an indicator that shows you are being watched forces you to be more careful and stealthy.

But I find I need the GPS on, otherwise I have to look at my map every 10 seconds.

If you head in the general direction and learn to use your "Eagle Vision" a bit more, you don't have to look too many times. I did have to turn the GPS back on for doing those timed assassination mini-missions. No way for me to do it with just the vision.

MYTHOS20000 on
    Six men, six giant..... voices.
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did anyone else play the entire game, and THEN figure out that there were ATTACHMENTS with MAPS and helpful information on the DNA strand?!? I was really bummed that I didn't know about that earlier. I could have had an easier time. (And I also remember thinking: Why on earth would I steal the location of guards and then NOT get to see them on my map?)

Sharp10r on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Did anyone else play the entire game, and THEN figure out that there were ATTACHMENTS with MAPS and helpful information on the DNA strand?!? I was really bummed that I didn't know about that earlier. I could have had an easier time. (And I also remember thinking: Why on earth would I steal the location of guards and then NOT get to see them on my map?)

Yeah, I think most people aren't even aware that you have all these maps that may sometimes help you, and letters that add more lore and insight on the characters of the game.

What I really would've liked though is have some of the investigations actually change how the mission plays out.

Take the slaver's mission for example. Normally you're forced to go through a fight and then he escapes by the rooftop and you have to chase him. But what if one of your investigations someone that doesn't really like the slaver offers you a key to the rooftop's trapdoor in exchange for a small service. You'd then have the option to enter the slaver's warehouse by the trapdoor and surprise him instead of being jumped by a bunch of goons.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I figured out the attachments about 3 assassinations in, and it came in handy when killing that fat guy with all those archer guards.

I was surprised when I beat the game because I got the Disciple of the Creed achievement, which requires that you "assassinate all your targets with a full DNA bar." I know for a fact that I screwed up at least two assassinations and killed the guys in swordfights while losing a good portion of energy, but hey, I'll take it.

Also, I really have no desire to try and get all the flags or kill all the templars. I think I'm done with the game, but I did enjoy it.

SteevL on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Definitely a better game with the HUD turned off. Thanks thread.

LewieP on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    I was surprised when I beat the game because I got the Disciple of the Creed achievement, which requires that you "assassinate all your targets with a full DNA bar." I know for a fact that I screwed up at least two assassinations and killed the guys in swordfights while losing a good portion of energy, but hey, I'll take it.

By "full DNA bar" they mean that you completed all the info-gathering missions.

Mei Hikari on
    edited August 2008
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

By "full DNA bar" they mean that you completed all the info-gathering missions.

No. it's supposed to be full health but the achievement is bugged and you get it no matter what.

Fireflash on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you sure? because I'm pretty sure your health is called sync bar and the game calls the investation bar as the DNA bar.

anyways, is there a point of no return for flags? a flag that you can't get once you get to a certain point in the game?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited August 2008
    scootch wrote: »
    you sure? because I'm pretty sure your health is called sync bar and the game calls the investation bar as the DNA bar.

anyways, is there a point of no return for flags? a flag that you can't get once you get to a certain point in the game?

Hmm, I'm pretty sure it was health but I might be mixing things up. Either way you'll get the achievement no matter what as soon as you kill your last target.

There's no point of no return for any flags since you can always replay any chapter in the game. But then again, there's not much point to collecting them all since they give no reward for doing it other than achievements. It would've been more tempting to collect them if it unlocked stuff.

Fireflash on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

...son of a bitch.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I noticed the attachments with the maps just about the time that I was going to assassinate the fat guy. Came in handy for killing his archers.

It's kind of sad how pointless the Kingdom "overworld" becomes once you get to all three cities. I really wish there'd be something to do out there other than flag and templar hunting. It'll be interesting to see if/how the sequel improves on the original...whenever it comes out.

SteevL on
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Not sure if this has been asked/answered yet, but did they ever patch the freezing problem with this game? Or at least on the PC version? I'd love to pick it up one of these days, but everytime I played the ps3 version, it'd freeze up within 10 minutes of me starting the game up.

Dourin on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dourin wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been asked/answered yet, but did they ever patch the freezing problem with this game? Or at least on the PC version? I'd love to pick it up one of these days, but everytime I played the ps3 version, it'd freeze up within 10 minutes of me starting the game up.

I haven't heard of the PC version freezing at all.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Don't worry, they were mostly pretty useless anyways. The ones that showed how to get in were ok, but you could typically have figured out how to do that within 30 seconds of getting there. Locations of guards only proved useful on the few missions with archers so you could clear them out first... but a simple scan of the rooftops worked just as well. And the escape routes were completely garbage since they never worked. Since you're lit up like a christmas tree after the assassination, you're better off making a beeline towards the nearest hiding place, rather than take the convoluted way the maps show since it doesn't make a lick of difference, the guards still chase you anways.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited August 2008
    Towards the end, I didn't even care about running away from the guards once I figured out how to dispatch them with hidden blade counters. It usually caused at least one more of the guards to get that horrified look, which left them open to a quick hidden blade kill. It was always fun leaving behind a pile of 10+ bodies and then seeing a guard walk up and yell "What happened here?!"

SteevL on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

...son of a bitch.

urahonky on
  • MYTHOS20000MYTHOS20000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought the Attachment maps were pretty useful......when I could understand what the hell they meant. They were so devoid of any distiquishing characteristics it was near impossible to recognize where the path was until you were actually searching around that point; however, most times by then it was too late and you would be seen. When I made sense of them they were very helpful, however.

MYTHOS20000 on
    Six men, six giant..... voices.
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it possible to complete each assasination perfectly?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited August 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    Is it possible to complete each assasination perfectly?

Most, but a few force you into a confrontation.

Fireflash on