As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    ...Pa Kent wasn't around to have his heart attack and pull Kal-El back with him from the afterlife...
    That's some Dragonball Z shit right there.

Glal on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    ...Pa Kent wasn't around to have his heart attack and pull Kal-El back with him from the afterlife...

It's better than the version in Doomsday.
    Superman can't die. Ever. Even if he's killed, his cell structure eventually repairs itself and he comes back to life. Also, his pet robot keeps tabs on him and recovers the body, putting it in a magic fridge that harnesses the yellow sun to make him regrow faster.

Fucking. Stupid.

HadjiQuest on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Superman can't die. Ever. Even if he's killed, his cell structure eventually repairs itself and he comes back to life. Also, his pet robot keeps tabs on him and recovers the body, putting it in a magic fridge that harnesses the yellow sun to make him regrow faster.

Fucking. Stupid.

Are you telling me Superman is invulnerable?!

Robos A Go Go on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Fucking. Stupid.

Point, set, match.

Remember when Superman couldn't fly? I mean, I wasn't alive then, but it's always struck me as one of the more intense ret-cons.

(of course, we can also all remember when he shot rainbows out of his fingertips, or engaged in Super-Basket-Weaving)

mattharvest on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Fucking. Stupid.

I am telling you that Superman: Doomsday would've been better if it had been handled by the same dudes who did New Frontier, who both came from a long history of writing/directing DCAU material, and are still involved in wicked awesome revivals of franchised properties (Transformers: Animated and Spectacular Spider-Man).

As for the two guys that did most of doomsday, the writer came from a background of early 90s Disney cartoon series (Aladdin: The Series and Bonkers) as well as some of the earliest episodes of The Batman, and the director had only directed a few episodes of Legion of Super Heroes at the time. And yes, I know Bruce Timm was listed as a co-writer and co-director of doomsday, but his role was pretty much just as a supervisor.

Now, it is also potentially unfortunate that the new Wonder Woman movie has the same director as Doomsday, and another writer who comes from early The Batman/Legion of Superheroes/Jackie Chan Adventures nonsense. And that this writer is also one of the main writers on that Batman: Brave and the Bold series.

I'm still hoping they don't/haven't completely abandoned the Judas Contract movie, because that was shaping up to be as good as New Frontier.

HadjiQuest on
    edited August 2008
    After New Frontier, I'm not sure straight adaptations of comic stories are the way to go. I'd much rather see original stories than imperfect replicas.

Robos A Go Go on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    man the Brave and the Bold looks like super awesome fun what are you talking about

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2008
    man the Brave and the Bold looks like super awesome fun what are you talking about

It's not like you can tell anything about the show's writing from the preview.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always thought Guyver would have made a kick ass Comic. I know it was based on a Japanese thing, but I thought with some clever adapting the movie could have made a swank book.

ANTVGM64 on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I always thought Guyver would have made a kick ass Comic. I know it was based on a Japanese thing, but I thought with some clever adapting the movie could have made a swank book.

Uh, the Guyver WAS a comic book first.

noir_blood on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Right but it was a Japanese Comic book I believe, was it not? I meant an adaptation from the movies that were made.

ANTVGM64 on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Right but it was a Japanese Comic book I believe, was it not? I meant an adaptation from the movies that were made.

Why would someone make a comic adaptation of something that's already a poor adaptation?

Furu on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    presumably so people who refuse to read japanese comic books could read it guilt-free

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Oh no Japanese comic books

you might catch the anime

Seriously if you liked the movie than the original manga will blow your mind.

Unless you liked the movie for the rapping Good Times guy in which case...

Furu on
    edited August 2008
    rapping good times guy?

netflix'd

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2008
    IT'S DY-NO-MITE

Furu on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm watching through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I think Rob McElhenney (the guy who plays Mac) would make a good Kyle Rayner should the need for one in films ever arise

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008

It's not like you can tell anything about the show's writing from the preview.

that's why I said it looks fun.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    I'm watching through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I think Rob McElhenney (the guy who plays Mac) would make a good Kyle Rayner should the need for one in films ever arise

Great show, Hulu has the whole series online. Season 3 starts in Sept.

EDIT: Whoops, Season 4 is correct. My mistake.

mattharvest on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008

season 4

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    Maybe if Green Lantern was an asshole...

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008

oh hell yes, thanks for the heads-up matt. i've been totally dying to see season 3

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maybe if Green Lantern was an asshole...

i liked "maybe if green lantern asshole" better.

Angry on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Green Lantern is an asshole, though.
    4ftevbnhrb3vxdodqcbihv6nk2.jpg

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hah, I loved those things on SA.

Mr Pink on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, uhh, did anyone else see the video of the clip they showed of The Spirit at SDCC? And is anyone surprised at just how bad it is?

The Spirit vs Octopus

werehippy on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, who would have thought the talent behind ROBOCOP 2 would make a bad SPIRIT movie?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uuuugggggghhhhhhhh

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited August 2008
    Samuel L. Jackson taking whatever shitty role he's offered isn't funny anymore.

Robos A Go Go on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SAM JACKSON GOTTA EAT

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »

oh hell yes, thanks for the heads-up matt. i've been totally dying to see season 3

servo, we like a lot of the same stuff

why don't we ever hang out

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    because you also hate the same things

ie: you

also goddamn I can't stop watching that Spirit footage

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2008
    because you also hate the same things

ie: you

also goddamn I can't stop watching that Spirit footage

Why did they pick some extra to play Spirit? I mean, he's just a handsome white guy in a suit. The role's flexible enough to accommodate any of the hundreds of more suitable possibilities.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Info on the Bat-Man game.

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    1 Player Action Game
    Platforms: PS3, 360, PC
    Publisher: Eidos
    Developer: Rocksteady Sudios
    Release: 2009

- Clever choice of location moves the game away from an open world Spider-Man clone and more into the dark and gritty realm of The Chronicles of Riddick.

- Packed with Batman's most dangerous archenemies Arkham Asylum boasts a brand new story reminiscent of the depth and twists of Bioshock

- Story is written by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series, Detective Comics)

- Wildstorm is crafting the authentic yet distinct new look for all the key characters

- Gameplay places just as much focus on Batman's role as a detective as his combat prowess.

- Game isn't being rushed to tie in with any TV/Film marketing cycles.

- Game runs on Unreal Engine 3

- Most of the game is played through an over-the-shoulder perspective

- You're going to see and get to fight against all the big super villains. Seen so far. Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Zsasz, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze and others the magazine doesn't want to spoil.

- Allies revealed so far are Commissioner Gordon who plays a big role and Barbara Gordon (aka Oracle) who is your radio contact in the game.

- Game opens with the Joker surrendering himself and subsequently taking over Arkham because of some secret the facility holds

- Magazine teases that this game will be the ultimate Batman experience so the voice cast will reflect that (Think Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill).

- Arkham was chosen as a location because of its limitations including the fact that it's an island prison. It's a persistent location so you can visit any location at anytime including Batman's secret on site Bat Cave etc. Don't think that just because this is an island prison there will only be small hallways. The developers have taken into account all the construction/destruction of the facility over the years so locals will vary.

- Eidos' Batman license includes all 70 years of comic book fiction so they're pulling from all of that.

COMBAT

- Boss Battles won't necessarily be a series of straight pugilistic fights. Each enemy represents a different side of Batman and not all of them can match his wide skill set. Some battles are focused on combat others will focus on gadgets some are similar to giant Zelda style bosses.

- Combat description in the magazine talks about Batman perched on a high ledge in a wide open room as he watches some of the Joker's thugs rifle through drawers. Batman switches to investigation mode using a blue tinted visor that among other things lets Batman see his enemies through walls and identifies things like guns and knives. One thug is carrying a machine gun so Batman jumps of the ledge, spreads his cape and kicks him in the face. He then swipes his cape in a large arc to stun his other enemies and then goes to work on them with a stylish blend of punches, kicks, a knee to the face here a behind the back elbow there. Combat has a gymnastic flourish and is accomplished using only three buttons. Attack, Stun and Throw.

- Combat is only one element of the game so the developers didn't want a bunch of button combos that you'd forget because you'll be doing other things besides fighting.

- During battle a combo multiplier at the top of the screen will increase with every strike. Once the combo expires a colony of bats will swirl around Batman and then contribute to an experience bar on the left side of the screen. In an RPG like skill tree system players will be able to distribute points where they prefer. Think Combat moves, faster takedowns, or gadget upgrades like the ability to throw multiple batarangs at the same time.

- Gadgets are revealed by collecting items in secret rooms. You'll need gadgets to survive as there are very tough enemies in the game that you can't just go head to head with (Think Killer Croc, he's 10 feet tall in the game and super tough)

- There are sections that involve sneaking but the developers call them Predatory gameplay sections as stealth tends to imply weakness, they prefer to think of it as picking off the weak people or people you wouldn't last too long in direct fight with from strong positions. The example they give in the article is Batman creating distractions with bodies and victim's yells and then stalking the guards as they go to inspect.

DETECTIVE

- Developers have come up with a very "sexy" CSI style for forensic puzzles because Batman will always have the very latest gadgets.

- Investigative mode is the centerpiece in Batman's arsenal. The visor can highlight points of interest and much like the Metroid Prime games will scan items into your database.

- They also mention another forensic gadget, a fingerprint tracker that allow Batman to follow trails of fingerprints.

OTHER

- Magazine hints at the ability to play as the villains in the game. Not sure if this is inserted directly into the game or available as a second playthrough option.

- Magazine lists a few suggested reading items. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Batman: The Last Arkham, and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell.

GRAPHICS

- Game is very gritty looking. The screens in the mag are all inside Arkham and show case a few hallways, The Riddler's cell, A sewer etc. Lots of great lighting going on.

- Character redesigns are pretty good for the most part. Joker looks like classic Joker only with Heath Ledger style make up (long drawn on red lipstick etc.) he still has a the bright purple suit and bright green hair. Definitely more sinister looking than say the TAS Joker. Killer Croc is huge and looks more like Jim Lee's Hush redesign as opposed to some of the more human renditions of him.

- Batman is in the Black and Grey costume. It looks more like armor however his gauntlets in particular look like the ones from TDK. Overall it looks very awesome.

- They show screens of fights and predator segments and all look very interesting and very Batman in scope. Lots of classic poses etc.

- You can control Batarangs from first person mode.

Bloods End on
    edited August 2008
    what's the source on this

edit: i guess http://www.rocksteadyltd.com/ is a good confirmation

Garlic Bread on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When did Arkham become an island prison? I thought that was Blackgate.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's what I was thinking when I read that but then again, there isn't exactly a defined map for Gotham. Batman Begins had Arkham on an island after all.

Anyway, it sounds pretty interesting but out of the three Batman games in development (Lego Batman, Pandemic's TDK game and this one), it excites me the least. Rocksteady is a fairly new studio so they'll have to prove themselves, whereas Pandemic are a pretty damn good developer.

Keith: It was in this months Game Informer mag.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The closest to a Gotham map I saw was actually during No Man's Land when Oracle was showcasing what parts of the city were controlled by which groups. Gotham is a REALLY big island with Blackgate being a much smaller island off the Southeast coast. But whether or not Arkham is an island prison REALLY isn't worth bickering about I just thought that part stood out. It would be neat if you could play as some supporting characters like Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl II, or Huntress.

ZombieAsuma on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's what I was thinking when I read that but then again, there isn't exactly a defined map for Gotham. Batman Begins had Arkham on an island after all.

Anyway, it sounds pretty interesting but out of the three Batman games in development (Lego Batman, Pandemic's TDK game and this one), it excites me the least. Rocksteady is a fairly new studio so they'll have to prove themselves, whereas Pandemic are a pretty damn good developer.

Keith: It was in this months Game Informer mag.

I don't know much about Lego Batman aside from it having an awesome trailer, and the praised glory of all things Lego _____ in G&T, but there was a thread going about TDK's game that sounded like they had a long way to go yet.

This one, however, sounds awesome. If it's half as good as it sounds like it could be, I'll be very happy indeed.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love the idea of setting it in Arkham. I just can't see them doing Gotham any time soon without making it feel like yet another Superhero Sandbox game.

Lux on
This discussion has been closed.