As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    gi_cover_batman.jpg

gi_cover_joker.jpg

Furu on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Batman prepares for the madness to come.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Robert Downey Jr. on The Dark Knight:
    My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f--king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

http://www.moviehole.net/200814729-interview-robert-downey-jr-2

Harsh but unsurprising, I suppose, considering how Iron Man was pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum (which is to say, pretty brainless and shallow).

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For whatever reason, I thought he was smarter than that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can totally envision RDJ as Tony Stark ranting like that while holding a glass filled with booze and clinking ice cubes, and it makes me smile.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, that sounds like a drunken rant. I can understand disliking the movie, but 'fuck DC comics'?

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Robert Downey Jr. drunk or otherwise intoxicated? Nawwwww....

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Or it's just 'clever' marketing.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Man, that sounds like a drunken rant. I can understand disliking the movie, but 'fuck DC comics'?
    Well, he's a Marvel man now.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I liked Warren Ellis' take on that spirit footage:
    Loving this clip from Frank Miller's new comedy softcore movie THE SPIRIT

smokmnky on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Later on, Sarah Paulson, as sweet innocent Ellen Dolan, sucks off a donkey called WHORE that has been dressed as a leather nun.

Lux on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Since Eisner', and The Spirit have so much good will in the comic book industry, both within fans and creators, I wonder if Miller is going to become the most hated men if his vision ends up being Sin City redux.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    regarding RDJr, despite the fact that I loved DK, I don't think saying it was full of itself at times is really all that off the mark.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Since Eisner', and The Spirit have so much good will in the comic book industry, both within fans and creators, I wonder if Miller is going to become the most hated men if his vision ends up being Sin City redux.

"Become?"

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh please, there are plenty of more hated people in comics than Frank Miller... like Keith.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Posting it in this thread as well, because this is the movie thread. Just last time everyone discussed in the GL thread.

Green Lantern movie script review:
    Let me start off with saying that within just reading the first few pages, I knew Berlanti, Guggenheim and Green had gotten the character right.

I don't want to do a traditional script review, instead I want to give IESB readers more of a sense of the story by going through some plot details and my thoughts on the screenplay. Wait a minute, that is a review. Let it begin...

It starts off with the revelation of Oa and The Central Battery with a voice over narration explaining that 1) there are extraterrestrials that protect the universe, 2) they have power rings, 3) there are thousands of Green Lanterns and 4) one of us has become one of them.

We go from one part of the universe to another and find ourselves in a familiar Solar System…our own.

Before I share some of the details let's do a quick character list of those we will see in the movie if this script gets the "green" light.

Martin Jordan
    Hal Jordan/Green Lantern
    Thomas Kalmuka
    Carl Ferris
    Carol Ferris
    Kilowog
    Tomar-Re
    Abin Sur
    Thaal Sinestro
    The Guardians
    Legion
    Hector Hammond

A few cameos include a certain mild mannered reporter from the Daily Planet, a certain college football coach with the last name of Gardner (who we are promised in the script we will see more of in the second film) and loads of other characters sure to keep fanboys orgasmic throughout.

Back to the script - The story follows the traditional Hal Jordan/Green Lantern story lines to a certain degree including the battle between Legion and Abin Sur, Abin Sur's crash landing on Earth, as well as the choosing of Hal Jordan over Guy Gardner and Clark Kent.

Parts are straight out of the Emerald Dawn series including Jordan's simulator being ripped out of the training center and flown to a dying Abin Sur and Hal Jordan going to Oa to help defeat Legion.

The major difference is in the Sinestro character arch. I don't want to give too much away but the writers were very careful to stay true to the character without blowing their load on the first film.

The other difference is also introducing Hector Hammond into the story line and making him the big threat to Earth or Gaia if you prefer.

From the first major beat of the story - that is sure to bring a tear - to the revelations at the end of the movie that easily set up prequels as well as sequels this script has it all. Also, unlike other recent superhero movies, this Green Lantern story has science fiction elements such as visiting other planets and major space battles.

It's a quick read and is a mere 109 pages but is action packed from the beginning to end. It has the potential to be bigger than Iron Man or maybe even The Dark Knight.

The script, if greenlit, is a sure-fire hit for fan boys, but in scale it's big, VERY big, and we are hearing rumors that it may be too big for the director currently attached, Greg Berlanti.

But who would the studio trust to take on a franchise of this size?

First, let me say that the studio execs love this GL script, they really dig it - and get it which is always important - and word is they are prepared to spend a pretty penny.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wait so what's the source on that?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    IESB, says it in the article text I copy/pasted. Here's the link: http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5319&Itemid=99

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, saw IESB in the text, didn't know what it was. Thanks.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Posting it in this thread as well, because this is the movie thread. Just last time everyone discussed in the GL thread.

Green Lantern movie script review:
    Let me start off with saying that within just reading the first few pages, I knew Berlanti, Guggenheim and Green had gotten the character right.

I don't want to do a traditional script review, instead I want to give IESB readers more of a sense of the story by going through some plot details and my thoughts on the screenplay. Wait a minute, that is a review. Let it begin...

It starts off with the revelation of Oa and The Central Battery with a voice over narration explaining that 1) there are extraterrestrials that protect the universe, 2) they have power rings, 3) there are thousands of Green Lanterns and 4) one of us has become one of them.

We go from one part of the universe to another and find ourselves in a familiar Solar System…our own.

Before I share some of the details let's do a quick character list of those we will see in the movie if this script gets the "green" light.

Martin Jordan
    Hal Jordan/Green Lantern
    Thomas Kalmuka
    Carl Ferris
    Carol Ferris
    Kilowog
    Tomar-Re
    Abin Sur
    Thaal Sinestro
    The Guardians
    Legion
    Hector Hammond

A few cameos include a certain mild mannered reporter from the Daily Planet, a certain college football coach with the last name of Gardner (who we are promised in the script we will see more of in the second film) and loads of other characters sure to keep fanboys orgasmic throughout.

Back to the script - The story follows the traditional Hal Jordan/Green Lantern story lines to a certain degree including the battle between Legion and Abin Sur, Abin Sur's crash landing on Earth, as well as the choosing of Hal Jordan over Guy Gardner and Clark Kent.

Parts are straight out of the Emerald Dawn series including Jordan's simulator being ripped out of the training center and flown to a dying Abin Sur and Hal Jordan going to Oa to help defeat Legion.

The major difference is in the Sinestro character arch. I don't want to give too much away but the writers were very careful to stay true to the character without blowing their load on the first film.

The other difference is also introducing Hector Hammond into the story line and making him the big threat to Earth or Gaia if you prefer.

From the first major beat of the story - that is sure to bring a tear - to the revelations at the end of the movie that easily set up prequels as well as sequels this script has it all. Also, unlike other recent superhero movies, this Green Lantern story has science fiction elements such as visiting other planets and major space battles.

It's a quick read and is a mere 109 pages but is action packed from the beginning to end. It has the potential to be bigger than Iron Man or maybe even The Dark Knight.

The script, if greenlit, is a sure-fire hit for fan boys, but in scale it's big, VERY big, and we are hearing rumors that it may be too big for the director currently attached, Greg Berlanti.

But who would the studio trust to take on a franchise of this size?

First, let me say that the studio execs love this GL script, they really dig it - and get it which is always important - and word is they are prepared to spend a pretty penny.

Oh man, that sounds pretty awesome. I'm hoping they keep the Superman part in (though I doubt they will) and even get Brandon Routh to do the cameo (and not the idiot they got for the JLA movie). Now I'm praying that they don't put someone like Michael Bay on it...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I tried to make a thread but didn't realize this one existed, so:

Any chance we could get an Ororo Monroe movie?

I just learned that Ororo: Before the Storm existed and would have a complete nerdgasm if we had a movie about her.

Plus several other types of gasms if the actress to play her in her 20s was really east African.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think CATWOMAN torpedoed any chance of Halle Berry getting another solo movie. Plus, how they'd condense 20+ years of Claremontian Storm bullshit into two hours, I have no idea.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was really hopeful when I saw there was a new Punisher movie coming out. Now, there's so much chaos involving the movie that I think it's just going to end up terrible. Plus, they went from the Red Band trailer to now pushing for a PG-13 ?

Garbage.
    Maybe the DVD will have a cool version of the movie.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was really hopeful when I saw there was a new Punisher movie coming out. Now, there's so much chaos involving the movie that I think it's just going to end up terrible. Plus, they went from the Red Band trailer to now pushing for a PG-13 ?

Garbage.
    Maybe the DVD will have a cool version of the movie.

Wonder if this PG-13 talk is why Lexi Alexander has completely removed her connection from the movie.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You take an R rating out of a Punisher movie and it's not the Punisher.

It's just a neutered puppy.

I had high hopes for Ray Stevenson as a fan of Rome but as bad as the writing in this movie looks to be, whatever potential he had to bring a non pretty boy version of Frank (see Thomas Jane) have turned to shit.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you ain't gotta fuckin' censor yourself here.

also Tom Jane was a great punisher

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you ain't gotta fuckin' censor yourself here.

also Tom Jane was a great punisher

I thought Thomas Jane did a decent job with the character, the movie itself was a failure. It was a revenge flick, nothing more. The movie did absolutely jack shit to turn Frank Castle into a vigilante. There has to be that transition from Man-Seeking-Revenge to Man-Seeking-Justice. Granted, it's Frank's version of justice, but that was not in the last movie.

Thomas Jane did an oustanding job as the Punisher in the video game a while back. And to be honest, having one of the sons from the movie be Jigsaw was brilliant.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the movie was rad as fuck

the punisher spoke in catchphrases

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It could have been worse, I guess. He could have been a combination of a Ninja Turtle and the Terminator(see original Punisher movie).

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the original one is hilariously awesome.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It could have been worse, I guess. He could have been a combination of a Ninja Turtle and the Terminator(see orginal Punisher movie).

Tell me MORE.....

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    he has described it in the worst possible way.

basically frank castle is already the punisher and killing people and lives in a sewer where he meditates naked.

then he saves kidnapped kids of mobsters from the yakuza.

he kills lots of italians and ninjas.

the end.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There are ninjas? Wal-Mart has it in the DVD dollar bin. I think it is worth that dollar now.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It could have been worse, I guess. He could have been a combination of a Ninja Turtle and the Terminator(see orginal Punisher movie).

Tell me MORE.....

Let's see....
    Frank's family is killed by some slow burning car bomb of sorts. His attempt to rescue them never includes breaking the glass on the windows. He lives in the sewers and fights some renegade ninja Yakuza like a Ninja Turtle. He rides a Harley and wears leather biker gear like he's the Terminator. His sidekick is an alcoholic bum. The tall lanky russian guy from Rocky IV, Dolph Lungren, plays him.

Oh, and he used to be a cop.... kinda like the new one.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the naked meditation scene.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    OH NO HE RIDES A MOTORCYCLE HE'S THE TERMINATOR.

you are special dumb, aren't you?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008

Thomas Jane did an oustanding job as the Punisher in the video game a while back. And to be honest, having one of the sons from the movie be Jigsaw was brilliant.

that punisher game from a couple of years back was awesome. a while ago, i heard they were making a sequel but i don't know if that's still happening or not. i'd love it if it was.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    they might make a sequel to tie into the new movie maybe

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I can only recall one time where the Punisher was tooling around on a Harley, and he still managed to dress like the Punisher. Where's the skull on the body armor ? Hell, where's the body armor ? He gets maimed by a fucking ninja bitch throwing a knife at him.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    they might make a sequel to tie into the new movie maybe

they'd have to boot it out the fucking door then, wouldn't they?

google's turning up nothing in re news about a sequel, so maybe it just fell apart.

:(

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    he has described it in the worst possible way.

basically frank castle is already the punisher and killing people and lives in a sewer where he meditates naked.

i'm listening

Garlic Bread on
This discussion has been closed.