As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The BBC's FREE ondemand service.Windows Only?

1235»

• LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Better yet, is there some way to make it think I'm in the UK :p

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I kind of worked out how to download DRM free mp4 videos from the iplayer in windows. Pretty easy and completely legal too!

LewieP on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Here ya go.

You freeloading commie yank!

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Here ya go.

You freeloading commie yank!

Works like a charm. Thank you my UK friends ;-)

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited March 2008
    Looks like the iPlayer may at some point be made to work on the Wii -
    First up, we can divide portable and gaming devices into those that include a web browser (iPhone, Nintendo Wii, Nokia N95, etc) and those that don't (Apple TV, Xbox, most mobile phones, most home media servers, etc).

For devices with browsers, assuming that those browsers are able to access and display the BBC iPlayer website, getting BBC iPlayer working on those devices "merely" requires us to provide audio and/or video streams in a format that is supported by the media player(s) available on that device.

LewieP on
    edited April 2008
    Oh shit guys -
    BBC iPlayer hits Wii

Nintendo signs deal with BBC to offer content through the top-selling home console

Wii users will be able to stream a plethora of BBC programmes from midnight tonight, when a message will be sent to all UK-based Wii consoles currently connected to the internet informing users of the new service.

Existing Wii owners will then be able to watch BBC iPlayer content through the console’s Internet Channel.

“This exciting alliance with the BBC is yet another way in which Nintendo is looking to broaden the market for its products by offering compelling and relevant content to families,” said general manager of Nintendo UK David Yarnton.

“BBC iPlayer on Wii will offer Wii owners another reason to turn their console on everyday and adds to the already established non gaming content on Wii that includes news and weather channels and an internet browser.”

Fucking A

LewieP on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "includes news and weather channels"? How about "has nothing but news and weather channels"?

ben0207 on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am so watching Doctor Who on my TV when I get home tonight.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited April 2008
    It's a pretty good eisode, too.

ben0207 on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is like my longest lasting thread ever. And it's just produced massive, massive joy. Huzzah!

As I said in the other thread:

THIS IS MASSIVE

(Though they should totally offer it as a channel (even if it just boots to the iplayer page).)

They must be doing some giggery-pokery because normally the Wii cacks it with 1hr+ streams.

So Ironically the Wii will supass the 360 and the PS3 and probably Sky+ into being the largest play on demand service for the living room.

They should pump big cash into promoting this.

Lave II on
    edited April 2008
    The biggest thing about this that makes me happy is that this is finally an example of the BBC offering a service of higher quality than pirates.

If I wanted to I could pirate any TV program and then stream it to my Xbox with XBMC. This is the BBC offering a service with very similar results, but easier to do, requiring very little technological knowledge and legal.

I really hope that it ends up being a dedicated channel, with a reworked interface, but this is a fantastic first step.

LewieP on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I agree with every single word Lewie.
    Awesomesauce.

Lave II on
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    People seem to be forgetting that the BBC are greedy assholes who make a fortune and spend a great deal of it on crap at only five times the cost of Sky with 900 channels including UK Gold which is filled with British crap. Greedy assholes who take 3 weeks wage from me so that I can own a TV regardless of whether or not I watch BBC. (Spoiler: I don't)

Bit late, but this post makes my eyes fucking bleed.

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited August 2008
    bent wrote: »
    People seem to be forgetting that the BBC are greedy assholes who make a fortune and spend a great deal of it on crap at only five times the cost of Sky with 900 channels including UK Gold which is filled with British crap. Greedy assholes who take 3 weeks wage from me so that I can own a TV regardless of whether or not I watch BBC. (Spoiler: I don't)

Bit late, but this post makes my eyes fucking bleed.

You don't truly know how good the BBC is until you go abroad.

Every time I've been to Australia the broadcasting quality is so ridiculously low, that's what you get when you have a television market like America. Wall to wall crap.

On the counter-argument side the Australians can argue quite validly that they don't need to watch tv because they've got awesome weather, beaches and generally can go outside and relax. Bastards.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am assuming that the bbc have changed the process somewhat since your blog post LewieP, as not only are the div settings different, ie to where the mp4 linked file is, but also once posted into a new tab and return hit, it now simply says you do not have access to this file.
    I may be missing something, but I did follow your guide to the letter, except where I couldn't, due to changes to the Div structures

pabh on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Seriously? Three weeks wage?

Get a better job DW.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited August 2008
    pabh wrote: »
    I am assuming that the bbc have changed the process somewhat since your blog post LewieP, as not only are the div settings different, ie to where the mp4 linked file is, but also once posted into a new tab and return hit, it now simply says you do not have access to this file.
    I may be missing something, but I did follow your guide to the letter, except where I couldn't, due to changes to the Div structures

Sorry, yeah, that post is now 5 months old, they fixed the security around that within a few weeks.

LewieP on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy thread necro extreme. This was posted in January 2007.

Also, the reason the BBC wanted DRM is so that no one with teeth whiter than this post could see it.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited August 2008
    Cough.

Seriously? Three weeks wage?

Get a better job DW.

Television license fee is £139.50 per year, to our American friends that's $261.55. Or almost £12 per month.

So, DW earns £46.50 per week. I think you get more on the dole. Unless he's working a single day a week for a pretty crappy wage. Otherwise his employer is in breach of the minimum wage.

The current minimum wage is £5.52 per hour (for over 21 years of age), so if you're say working from 9am to 5pm that's £220.80 per a five day week.

Holy thread necro extreme. This was posted in January 2007.

Also, the reason the BBC wanted DRM is so that no one with teeth whiter than this post could see it.

Ah, a teeth joke. Because it's a British website. I see, good stuff.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I heard that because of things like the NHS Brits currently can get better dental care than the average American.

What have they done?

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also the license fee is £140 annually. If that is three weeks wages then damn son get a better job.

EDIT: Plus I mean part of the license fee actually goes to channel 4 as well.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Ah, a teeth joke. Because it's a British website. I say, good show old bean.

Edited for further Britishness. ;)

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited August 2008

Edited eh? for eh? further eh? Britishness. eh? ;)

Eh?

Edited for Canadian.. ;)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited August 2008

Edited eh? for eh? further eh? Britishness. eh? ;)

Eh?

Edited for Canadian.. ;)

I got no idea whut yur talkin' aboot, eh?
    <3

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited August 2008
    If you want some hilarity, Slashdot has a topic thing about BBC iPlayer.

Don't read it for the discourse, read it for the wildly inaccurate "facts" and stupid Americans completely divorced from reality!

If you want some funny stuff without looking too hard, just do a search for "ogg vorbis". Those posts are always hilarious.

ben0207 on