As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

8-Bit Metal song(s)

Le LudophileLe Ludophile Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
I posted my thread but I didn't respect the rules! :| So I'm making a new one in keeping with the moderator comments I got. I just released my first 8-Bit Metal album on 08/08/08 as a free download, and I'd like constructive criticism so I can do my post-mortem and figure out which way I'll be going in the future. Any comments on what's hot and what's not is welcome. The full album is available as a download on my website (http://www.le-ludophile.com/melomania.htm), but you can also download tracks individually. And there's a Flash player for streaming. You can also visit Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/8bitmetal)if you prefer.

In my opinion, my best work is the song "In the Year 200X" based on Mega Man 2, so you might start by listening to that and switch off if you don't like it. Thanks for your interest!

My left brain is here: www.le-ludophile.com
And my right is there: www.myspace.com/8bitmetal
Le Ludophile on

• Options
    mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like the general composition of the music. It had a good flavor of a mix of what you're aiming for. It reminded me a lot of playing Rygar on the NES for the most part.

I just didn't like the vocals. The voice itself, and possibly the lyrics. Except for the one part in Founding of Booty Bay where it almost has a Rammstein feel to it. It's not a deal breaker, but it's probably the parts of the songs I don't like ... the singing.

overall B+ ... made me want to listen to more than one song.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Definitely has potential, I quite liked the backing music but I have to agree about the vocals. They felt kinda flat, tightening them up would really make all the songs fairly notable. Maybe try putting more expression and tone in your vocals?

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Firstly, I love retro 8-bit music (I even did my own project for a little while) but to me the drums don't have enough dynamic and are far too low in the mix.

Also, the vocals are completely offputting. They're not in tune, not very metal sounding, and not really in keeping with the 8bit theme. I would probably enjoy listening to the tracks as instrumentals though.

Promising enough but ditch the vocals I say. Keep at it, and look forward to hearing some more.

(Also, if you've not heard any Bitshifter... Listen to Bitshifter) 8-)

Grenn on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have you listened to Norrin Rad?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Firstly, I love retro 8-bit music (I even did my own project for a little while) but to me the drums don't have enough dynamic and are far too low in the mix.
    (Also, if you've not heard any Bitshifter... Listen to Bitshifter)
    I listened to your tracks on your Myspace. And I thought the drums were way too strong in the mix ;). I know Bitshifter, but can't say that I like the genre in which he works (never could listen to a whole song). I've played in a techno/metal hybrid before, but electronic music has never caught on with me. I find it too repetitive and too focused on rhythm at the expense of melody, and there's a lot of lazy kids with dreams of grandeur that just fiddle around with cheap drum samples, put it in loop, and call it a song.

For that reason I don't intend on following the chiptune / techno / electronic scene, nor the instrumental cover scene (Powerglove et al) as well since there are plenty of those already. I also want to keep the vocals to express things about the games - without lyrics any song could pretty much be about any game, unless I go the cover way, and I'm not interested and not needed in there. Though I've had a great time doing the FF Mystic Quest Doom Castle cover. And also that I'm not sure I'd be good at composing instrumentals - real instrumentals, not "songs without vocals" full of empty chords and haphazard energy. I've rendered Bloodlines instrumentally because some guy wanted it for a movie he was shooting, and it just felt kinda dumb and empty.

I really appreciate your, as well as Typhus and MrOrange's, feedback on the vocals. It's the one point most people raise, though I've received praises from some on the other hand. What I think happened is that I just tried going in all those different directions. I also figured out while doing these songs that I don't enjoy that much doing the long multi-part epics and all. So I think for the future I'll keep short songs, with less vocal presence (unlike in The Devil and the Incarnate), downtune to D (as in Bloodlines), and stay in my comfortable vocal range. More expressivity, less struggling for the pitch.

Sorry for the verbose response, but this really helps me sort things out. :)
    Have you listened to Norrin Rad?
    No. I would if you would provide a link. All I found is some dude who does trance/house stuff that has nothing to do with 8-Bit nor Metal :).

Le Ludophile on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh! I do know him! He's really great at chiptuning. I can't stand death metal vocals, but I appreciate the downsampling and (presumably) noise filter he put on his vocals to give them that "BLADGES-OV-SHTEEL!" feel. I think I'll try that.

Le Ludophile on