As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seattle Sheraton has Microsoft Surface in the lobby!

mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby.BaltimoreRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
Microsoft surface is a cool computer in a table which is crontroled by a huge 30" touch screen surface. It
communicates with Bluetooth cameras and phones and the systems are customized to have cool apps
related to their location.

I am not staying at the Sheraton but I will probably stop by multiple times to check this shit out! None of the
information tells me if the Seattle Sheraton already has the Surface system in their lobby so I think I am going
to call them soon to find out. EDIT: I called them. It is already there and ready to be played with!

SQUEEEEEE! 8-):!:

Microsoft Surface Checks into the Shearton News Story
Seattle Sheraton Microsoft Surface Page

Here are three custom apps designed for the Sheraton locations:
Article wrote:
CityTips – At the guests’ fingertips are the Surface 360-degree satellite maps and tools to search for local restaurants
and bars, entertainment, recreation, shopping, transportation and services, such as banks and pharmacies. Guests can
discover all a city has to offer by simply moving their hands across Surface.

Sounds of Sheraton – Microsoft Surface also serves as a lobby-based digital jukebox, enabling guests to create
personal music playlists by choosing selections from Sheraton’s exclusive offering of Sony BMG artists, including John
Legend, Kenny Chesney and Lauryn Hill.

Sheraton Snapshots – Guests can explore Sheraton hotels and resorts throughout the world by simply browsing the
Surface photo library of Sheraton resorts and hotel properties to help them plan for future business or leisure travel.

Microsoft Surface Page
Wikipedia Microsoft Surface Page

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
mentok1982 on

• SG LukeSG Luke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    These things are cool. They had one at the Sheraton in Boston about a year ago and I got to go play with it. It's kinda big and clunky, but it's neat stuff.

SG Luke on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's fairly awesome. I'll definitely have to play with it some when I'm there.

BrennaCeDria on
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome! Time-wasting Surface foolery, here I come!

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll probably try to beat the PAX rush and check out the next time I go to my bank and the court (for more stupid parking tickets, those parasites!)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know they had something like that on the floor of Pioneer Mall in downtown Portland... and I breakdanced on it.

...I'd breakdance on this but you know, might break it.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this that thing I saw MS people playing Warcraft 3 on at like E3 or GDC a couple years back? Youtube'd somewhere.

TrainwreckX on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this that thing I saw MS people playing Warcraft 3 on at like E3 or GDC a couple years back? Youtube'd somewhere.

The company that MS bought the surface tech from is the one that did that. You cant do that on a surface table as it stands right now.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited August 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

The company that MS bought the surface tech from is the one that did that. You cant do that on a surface table as it stands right now.

Atleast... not until WE get our hands on them. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :P

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
    edited August 2008
    I know they had something like that on the floor of Pioneer Mall in downtown Portland... and I breakdanced on it.

Are you sure you weren't breakdancing on this?

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited August 2008

Atleast... not until WE get our hands on them. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :P

I worked in the group before. I had my hands on one, tried to get RTS'es to work, no dice.

A program has to be made *for* surface to accept the input, its not just a mouse replacement or anything simple.

BigRed on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If enough PAX attendees who owned Bluetooth wireless digital camera, trading PAX photos on Surface
    would be suhweet. Unfortunatley cameras like that are not exactly falling out of the sky...

I want to see someone resize one of their photos to fill as much of the table as possible (30 inches).

Imagine what you could accomplish with a giant photo of your mouth, ass or other orifice. :winky:

mentok1982 on
    edited August 2008

Are you sure you weren't breakdancing on this?

Naw it was something different... but nonetheless it was breakdance'd.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome!!!! I am almost as excited about this as I am about PAX. ... almost.

MetaverseNomad on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

That was the enthusiasm I was hoping for right there!

mentok1982 on
    edited August 2008

Really? I mean without games it's just a giant iPhone...

TrainwreckX on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Really? I mean without games it's just a giant iPhone...

People go crazy over anything with a touch screen.

And this has a HUGE touch screen.

parabola on
    edited August 2008
    Meh, to each their own.

TrainwreckX on
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You think they have it on all night? I will be staying there. ... ... What do you think a wang would do to it?

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
    edited August 2008
    You think they have it on all night? I will be staying there. ... ... What do you think a wang would do to it?

It would pick it up and you could use it to interface with surface.

*coughs*

(no i didnt try it, I just helped build the hardware in that thing so I know its capabilities :wink: )

BigRed on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    (no i didnt try it, I just helped build the hardware in that thing so I know its capabilities :wink: )

You are my hero.

MetaverseNomad on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just hope no one at the Convention breaks it because the last thing we need is an expensive broken item and the sheraton mad at us.

Viscountalpha on
  • Gravy RobberGravy Robber Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

*coughs*

I seem to recall it being able to read barcodes off of the bottom of devices. So you maybe could have special wang recognition. With a special dongcode.

Gravy Robber on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008

*coughs*

I seem to recall it being able to read barcodes off of the bottom of devices. So you maybe could have special wang recognition. With a special dongcode.

I'd be worried about breaking it... :winky:

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    my mac is still better! look forward to getting a pic with it for the hunt, though.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Besides the display maybe being a Wacom on crack, is the rest of the hardware very specialized or is it just off-the-shelf PC stuff? I know you mentioned the no games unless it is written for it thing, but could regular windows run on it?

Does it really "read" barcodes? That would mean the screen has... imaging... capabilities... That melts my brain. o_O

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
    edited August 2008

Besides the display maybe being a Wacom on crack, is the rest of the hardware very specialized or is it just off-the-shelf PC stuff? I know you mentioned the no games unless it is written for it thing, but could regular windows run on it?

Does it really "read" barcodes? That would mean the screen has... imaging... capabilities... That melts my brain. o_O

at its core surface runs vista... The PC itself is more or less off the shelf (but striped down to fit in there) but the infrared sensor array and such are all custom for surface.

BigRed on
  • Jackal24Jackal24 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I read about the surface when it was first released. I am really excited to mess with it.

Jackal24 on
    edited August 2008
    Jackal24 wrote: »
    Yeah, I read about the surface when it was first released. I am really excited to mess with it.

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

Seriously, this post wasn't worth digging up to say you were excited to mess with it :P

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2008
    Jackal24 wrote: »

Seriously, this post wasn't worth digging up to say you were excited to mess with it :P

Also this thread is only a week old, posting in it is fine...

BigRed on
    edited August 2008
    A week seems so old on these forums...

TrainwreckX on
  • SeanBadSeanBad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    a giant iphone in the sheraton lobby? :O

SeanBad on
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damnit I'm staying at the Hyatt.... now I have to go to the Sheraton to fondle their Surface.

Theros on
    edited August 2008
    A week seems so old on these forums...

I pulled up the "What games do you want to see/play..." thread today after 21 days.

I added the Microsoft demo schedule today.

mentok1982 on
  • Jackal24Jackal24 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jesus, you start a new thread with the same topic and people will yell at you, you search the topic first so you don't do the former and you still get shit. . . pure win. I can't check these forums all the time and post when I can. I had just gotten an e-mail that day telling me they had the surface so I wanted to see who else was interested in it.

The surface was pretty cool I think but I really wish they would have let you throw your own pix on there, even if it was just temporary. They should have also had them in the Daily Grill, that would have been sweet.

Jackal24 on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It was pretty cool. It'll be great for hotels. They didn't have too many applications on it though.

parabola on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i touched it and did the rotate/shrink/zoom thingy cuz some guy had google maps open.

it was fun.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played some air hockey with Ramius using the photographs, and a bunch of us used the maps for a while. It's pretty neat, but it's not something I spend more than 30 minutes messing with.

Pb on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well I'd say it's great for a hotel lobby, and think it would be doable if every hotel lobby had one.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It didn't have enough software. That being said the google maps thing was fun to dick around with. It was helpful seeing a downtown view of seattle. I also looked at europe and DAMN, its like a page of text.

It needs a chess program and some sort of fingerpaint art/ Kai power goo software.

I do love the surface interface. Its a "Do want" type of thing. Its whats coming next. Voice and direct touch feedback.

Viscountalpha on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I played with it, too. It got confused fairly easily if my husband tried looking at other photos at the same time, but other than that it's okay. The maps function is definitely an application that should always be on it in a hotel environment, but I do wish it had some other features, as well.

BrennaCeDria on
This discussion has been closed.