As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hi there - Mural assistance por favor

ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
Haven't really ever created a thread, but really hoping to get some feedback/assistance/tips for a project I'm working on. Basically doing a very large mural along a wall of one room in our house, and would prefer if it was awesome.

It will basically be 4 characters, 2 on each of of 2 large white painted boards, there will be borders and wavy lines and all sorts of jazz, but right now I'm just trying to get the concepts of the characters done before I go "humongo big." They are a bit rough, and some things like hands will be cleaned up and refined, but I'm hoping for any help I can get, tips from anyone who's done big stuff in general, or whatever you can offer. I'm far from advanced in painting, so the plan is to keep it to black outlines with red highlights where applicable. The animals behind will most likely just be solid color silhouettes with some breaks in the ink to show any vital lines.

I have 2 done right now, working on the other 2 today and hopefully will have pencils up on the actual wall by the end of the day, so I have 2 days to paint.

poop1hm8.jpg

poop2.jpg

So ya, anything glaringly wrong? Anything I should watch out for? Any tricks that would be helpful for a large painting job?

Shiboe on

• Options
    luvpaintsluvpaints Registered User new member
    edited August 2008

Baby wipes! They always come in handy! I'm a Mural Artist and Faux painter. Are these the 2 murals you are doing in your home? They are awesome!! Yeah, I try to sketch very lightly, and start with the lightest colors first.

luvpaints on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's going to be one large mural across 3 door sized boards that span a good 15 feet. Daunting to say the least. 3rd concept done, one more to go then I'm gonna start laying it down.

poop3.jpg

Again, looking for any and all help, this will be moving quickly though, need to be done by saturday.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    on the first one, the horse's head is... odd. It is too straight, too "one solid piece". The guy's shoulder seems flat, like it doesn't stick out enough or like it isn't attached right, and his head is a little large.

I really like the second and third one, though.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    on the first one, the horse's head is... odd. It is too straight, too "one solid piece". The guy's shoulder seems flat, like it doesn't stick out enough or like it isn't attached right, and his head is a little large.

I really like the second and third one, though.

Thanks! The animals all look a little stale, but I didn't know how much to put into em yet as I was planning on just keeping them as a silhouette. I'll definitely try to make some changes though, on that and the shoulder. Head I think is just lost a bit in the lack of details, maybe a bit tall? Also, did I overdue it with the legs? Trying to get some style in these but I'm not sure how much is "just right."

Shiboe on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, the first one looks like the guy is clubbing the horse to death.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    on the top one, the leg in the front, the foot is twisting the wrong way, and it's kind of hard to tell what is going on in it

the second and third look good, but you might want to take another shot at the first one

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Was really hoping to get more help on these by now, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. Maybe I need to make an avatar or something so I get noticed. =D
    on the top one, the leg in the front, the foot is twisting the wrong way, and it's kind of hard to tell what is going on in it

the second and third look good, but you might want to take another shot at the first one

I really don't want to redo it as I'm trying to meet a deadline, did do a few changes though, and scraping the horse for a ram, though I did fix his head (I think). Thanks for the help though Rank.

poop5.jpg

poop4.jpg

And replacing horse with:
    poop6.jpg
    As they are our "animal personas" and it seems more appropriate.

Would appreciate any more feedback I can get though I'm gonna start putting em up now on the real thing, so will be permanent pretty soon.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Coming right along! Layed down some red, and in the picture is my friend doing some interior edge shading while I eat. After that will lay down all the black and hopefully have this beast sparkling pretty!

n574328664_1218522_6402.jpg

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    All done, got some bleh photos of it:

n574328664_1223766_242.jpgn574328664_1223767_549.jpg

Left taken at night, right taken this morning so lights off and little fuzzy but meh.

They look great though in person, and I'm really happy with the result; largest thing I've done... ever!

Shiboe on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's awesome!
    I'm totally doing this when I can afford to buy my own place.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    That's awesome!
    I'm totally doing this when I can afford to buy my own place.

Thanks! Didn't get much attention but not important really, I was pretty damn happy with the result.

And for the next project: Wall mounted Dragon bow hanger!

Poorly animated gif to get feel:
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/cruiserprime/dargon1-1.gif

And a still at eye level:
    dargon1.jpg

Lots of work still to do, should look really nice though when it's all done, stained, and mounted. Was hoping to get more of the feel of it in the gif, since it's hard to convey a 3d object well in a picture, at least when you suck at taking pictures...

Shiboe on