As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Barbara Gordon: Non-criminal mastermind of the DC universe. (May contain spoilers)

2»

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    She is Stubborn as a mule, and she will do whatever is in her mind to do that she thinks is best. She has more than once made a bad call in this regard.

*goes to look for the issue where she was about to go under surgery for an example*

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm bummed that that All-Star Batgirl series Geoff Johns and JG Jones were supposed to do never happaned

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    There seems to be a lot of Batgirl in Batman confidential, going by the cover art. Haven't read them yet.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved Batgirl Year One, and if Batgirl Showcase really is good then I'll check it out even though I've been disappointed by Showcases in the past (I lack the ability to appreciate old stories in spite of their flaws).

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There seems to be a lot of Batgirl in Batman confidential, going by the cover art. Haven't read them yet.
    It's a Batgirl/Catwoman arc.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Actually, Superman just sort of schooled her pretty recently.

God that pissed me off. Both because the Birds were written as being such fuck-ups that Superman would even have to come in and school them, and because Oracle just sat there and took it.

Birds of Prey has been a mess of epic proportions since OYL, with a few bright spots in Simone's issues. They need to put a writer on it that will bring back the sort of dark, special-ops feel of the Chuck Dixon run. Lately, everyone's been writing the Birds as though they're a superhero team; they're not. They're a loose affiliation of heroes brought together to get shit done as needed.

The girl power shit grates a bit too; all that, "Aw c'mon sis, let's go beat up bad guys hurf hurf hurf," annoys me. Just because the cast is all women doesn't mean they need to speak like they're on Sex and the City.

More than anything, I feel like the Birds need to find a new niche to keep them relevant; both Hal Jordan's new upcoming Justice League, as well as Batman's Outsiders, now do what the Birds uses to; track down bad guys that fly under the radar of other super types.

Munch on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I'm bummed that that All-Star Batgirl series Geoff Johns and JG Jones were supposed to do never happaned

Wait shit I had never heard of this

Now I hate you

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    The girl power shit grates a bit too; all that, "Aw c'mon sis, let's go beat up bad guys hurf hurf hurf," annoys me. Just because the cast is all women doesn't mean they need to speak like they're on Sex and the City.
    To be fair, that's probably trying to replicate the Dinah-Babs interaction, but 1) it doesn't work, and 2) it really doesn't work on characters who aren't them

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    To be fair, that's probably trying to replicate the Dinah-Babs interaction, but 1) it doesn't work, and 2) it really doesn't work on characters who aren't them
    Also trying to replicate the mega-rod scene, but doing that shit constantly is really annoying.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    More than anything, I feel like the Birds need to find a new niche to keep them relevant; both Hal Jordan's new upcoming Justice League, as well as Batman's Outsiders, now do what the Birds uses to; track down bad guys that fly under the radar of other super types.

I was going to mention Outsiders myself, but the run that just ended. Superman gets schooled himself in issue 37 by Nightwing, which is what should have happened in Birds of Prey.

Superman comes in to throw his weight around and finds an uncomfortable truth; The metaphorical pink elephant in the room that no one wants to mention: There are problems in the world that for one reason or another he doesn't dare try to solve.

In Outsiders...
    *superman flies in and confronts Nightwing*
    "I want this to stop."
    "I can't do that."
    "You mean you won't do that."
    "Yes."

*Superman thinks a bit*

"I never thought I would to explain to you the difference between what's right and what's wrong."
    "And I never thought you would stand in the way of someone trying to help people."
    "Is that what you think you're doing?"
    "You save the world. I'm trying to save a few corners of it. Corners that your hands are too big to reach. If I have to scrape my knuckles to get it done, then that is the price I have to pay."

*Superman looks afronted*

"It isn't your knuckles getting scraped... you're hurting people Dick. I can't allow that."
    "I'm hurting bad people Superman. And... forgive me... I don't need your permission."

*Nightwing reveals a box that was clipped to the back of his belt*

"What is that? It's in a lead box... I can't see it."
    "You know what it is."
    "It's come to this?"
    "No it hasn't. But I need you to let me do this. I need to..."

*Nightwing pauses*

"There are things that none of you are willing to do. Things that have to be done for the common good. I will do these things."

*Superman thinks about it*

"Fine. For now. But you are getting very close to a line that I will not let you cross... regardless of what you carry inside little boxes."

*superman flies away*

*Nightwing's team members enter the room*

"Check out the pair on you."
    "Bluffing Superman."
    "Did he really buy that you had Kryptonite in that box?"

*Nightwing looks down at the floor in thought*

"I guess so."

"Unreal. It's Nightwing's world, we just live in it."
    "See you below."

*Nightwing goes back to his room, and put the box on his desk, revealing that it really does have Kryptonite in it*

"Yeah, we just live in it."

The fact of the matter is that Superman is increasingly become an asshole who is willing to overlook the plight of millions because there isn't an answer to their problems that he can solve without getting his hands dirty. It takes the Green K to snap him out of his ego, and I think that one reason that Barbara had such a hard time dealing with him is that she doesn't set out to get into pissing matches with capes. She doesn't keep kryptonite in stock.

Edit: To clarify, I think the writing for that arc was weak, but even if it was stronger I don't think Babs is mentally equipped to "slap sense" into Superman. If Superman keeps interfering though, I think she will come around.

Further Edit: I think the role that Oracle has chosen is to fight mafia and corporations. Targets that her computer skills can have more effect. The Outsiders are willing to take on small countries, but they have a lot more fire power what with the high meta count. Oracle has a number of Metas in the Rolodex, but her most active agent is Huntress. Even when it was Canary, she was reduced to martial arts for much of her time with the Birds, only getting her cry back after being dumped into a Lazarus pit.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She says pretty much this in a JLA story. J'onn tells her that they could fix her legs, and she says she doesn't want to be an unfeeling cyborg or whatever

As opposed to all the feeling you get done paralyzed from the waist down?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The fact of the matter is that Superman is increasingly become an asshole who is willing to overlook the plight of millions because there isn't an answer to their problems that he can solve without getting his hands dirty. It takes the Green K to snap him out of his ego, and I think that one reason that Barbara had such a hard time dealing with him is that she doesn't set out to get into pissing matches with capes. She doesn't keep kryptonite in stock.

Fact of the matter? What are you talking about? The facts are that shitty writers sometimes write Superman like an asshole. Winick and McKeever are fine examples of that.

Same thing happens with Batman (which Winick does a lot too).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    OK, opinion.

Edit: And Batman is an asshole. :P

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Superman is the raddest, especially right now

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Citation needed!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Citation needed!

read any issue of Geoff Johns' current Action Comics run

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I will grudgingly admit that he hasn't been bad in the appearances in the new Supergirl title.

Edit: But I totally dug it when he got bitched out after the Graduation Day story arc by Starfire.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You read Supergirl, but not Action Comics? Heresy!

And getting this thread back on track, has anyone besides me been reading the current story arc in Batman Confidential? It makes Babs look like a bumbling idiot.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Supergirl is like, 32 issues in, and Action comics is on what now, 900s?

Edit: You are right though, back on topic.

I wonder if Oracle and Powergirl will ever get the rift between them healed up.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yes, but Action Comics is written by Geoff Johns, and Supergirl is written by joe nobody.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    You read Supergirl, but not Action Comics? Heresy!

And getting this thread back on track, has anyone besides me been reading the current story arc in Batman Confidential? It makes Babs look like a bumbling idiot.
    This is the first time she meets Catwoman, I believe.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes, but Action Comics is written by Geoff Johns, and Supergirl is written by joe nobody.

What? Kelley Puckett is awesome. The man created Batgirl (Cassandra) and Connor Hawke.

That said, his Supergirl run has been mediocre at best, while Geoff Johns has been writing an awesome Supergirl over in Action Comics.

Anyway, the Batman Confidential arc is pretty obviously not meant to be taken seriously. That doesn't change the fact that it's pretty damn good though.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Fact of the matter? What are you talking about? The facts are that shitty writers sometimes write Superman like an asshole. Winick and McKeever are fine examples of that.

I think the fact of the matter is there's a lot of problems Superman can't solve without becoming mankind's nanny. Really people have we already forgotten the age old dilemma of Superman's super heroics holding back humanity?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I think the fact of the matter is there's a lot of problems Superman can't solve without becoming mankind's nanny. Really people have we already forgotten the age old dilemma of Superman's super heroics holding back humanity?

is your real name Lex Luthor

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I don't really see how being obliterated by aliens is integral to humanity's development.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    t any rate, I think Calculator is going to prove to be a bigger problem than Superman. Nosy git just can't leave well enough alone.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I agree - male secretaries should be feared.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    In Calculator's case, I would call him that. He does what Lex tells him to do, makes some money on the side, and tries his best not to get killed by all the people he has stabbed in the back.

Edit: And also tries not to get killed by his co-workers that he has not stabbed in the back. And all of his co-workers that he has.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I don't really see how being obliterated by aliens is integral to humanity's development.

Another day goes by, and once again I begin to wonder if it's a pretend lack of reading comprehension or a real one.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Elliot Maggin wrote a great story in the 70s about "Does the world need Superman?" It basically involves the Guardians of the Universe being douches to Superman, and making him doubt himself. And then he stands up to a Mexican slumlord, but an earthquake hits, and he has to rebuild the town anyhow, and oh no they'll depend on Superman too much now!

It was groundbreaking stuff at the time.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Another day goes by, and once again I begin to wonder if it's a pretend lack of reading comprehension or a real one.

I've just never seen Superman do anything beyond fighting off threats only he's equipped to handle.

It's not like he's trying to end poverty or cure all diseases or anything.

And even if he did, would it have a worse effect on the population than if a human did it? After all, it's not as though the accomplishments of a single person are a credit to the entire population.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I've just never seen Superman do anything beyond fighting off threats only he's equipped to handle.

It's not like he's trying to end poverty or cure all diseases or anything.

Yeah, see, now I'm positive you read only a fragment of the post. Of course he isn't, that's what I'm saying, I'm just trying to point out why he doesn't in response to this quote that was part of my post.
    The fact of the matter is that Superman is increasingly become an asshole who is willing to overlook the plight of millions because there isn't an answer to their problems that he can solve without getting his hands dirty.

Because that shit is just silly.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have never followed Superman before, so I am going to educate myself on the topic before I speak more about him. All I have to go on right now is his appearances in other titles.

But anyway, the Joker is in Platinum Flats. Gordon is in Platinum Flats. The last time the two saw each other, Gordon had left him for the Feds in New York, where they had just foiled the Joker's attempt to irradiate said city. Need I say more?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone have any infor about Huntress's recruitment and operations into Checkmate? In one of the Bat titles it was hinted that Huntress worked for Checkmate as an operative for Batman at the same time she was working operations with the Birds for Oracle, but I can't find any detail about that.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Concerning 121:
    Any criminal organization that lets the Joker in is doomed to suffer a horrible, bloody self destruction.
    And of course, any secret organization will see the secrecy die off first.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Joker is a double edged sword when it comes to villain team-ups. If you do invite him, he'll most likely spoil the plan since he's a wild card who always has his own agenda and ulterior motives for everything.

On the other hand, if you don't invite him into your villain club, he'll get offended and intentionally screw you over just to prove a point.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Joker is a double edged sword when it comes to villain team-ups. If you do invite him, he'll most likely spoil the plan since he's a wild card who always has his own agenda and ulterior motives for everything.

On the other hand, if you don't invite him into your villain club, he'll get offended and intentionally screw you over just to prove a point.

Poor Alex.
    Alexdeath-786861.PNG

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What I'd like:

Ted comes back in Booster, rekindles a relationship with Babs, joins her as they rule all of the internets as Oracle and Sage.

This is pretty much the extent of how much/little I've actually thought about Oracle.

I should probably read BoP.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png