As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Tortoise Hostel: Party PARTY ON! $230 raised!!

• Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alright, I had a room reserved here, but someone with a proper hotel room made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So, whoever's keeping tabs, race to fill my spot!

AlanF5 on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AlanF5 wrote: »
    Alright, I had a room reserved here, but someone with a proper hotel room made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So, whomever's (SIC) keeping tabs, race to fill my spot!

What days were your reservation for?

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well we have just 2 more weeks to go until PAX. I was hoping to finalize the party arrangements a little more.

What day would you all think would be good if we were going to have this party? I am getting there Thursday for the Pre-PAX festivities, so I was thinking Friday night would be a good night for partying. I sampled some really great beer from a brewery near my house in Lynnwood that I thought might be good if no one is really interested in Pyramid. I tried the Big E Scotch Ale recommenced to me by one of the apprentice brewmeisters. It was a really smooth dark ale with a rather pleasant taste. Not as bitter as most dark ales I have had. The guy I talked to said he would give me a good deal on a keg if I was interested.

Another question for the people who know downtown better than I. What is the best Pizza to be had? I am hoping to find a good Brooklyn style joint, if there is one. That is one of the things I really miss about living back east; good pizza. It is really hard to find over here.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I want to hear them.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Well we have just 2 more weeks to go until PAX. I was hoping to finalize the party arrangements a little more.

What day would you all think would be good if we were going to have this party? I am getting there Thursday for the Pre-PAX festivities, so I was thinking Friday night would be a good night for partying. I sampled some really great beer from a brewery near my house in Lynnwood that I thought might be good if no one is really interested in Pyramid. I tried the Big E Scotch Ale recommenced to me by one of the apprentice brewmeisters. It was a really smooth dark ale with a rather pleasant taste. Not as bitter as most dark ales I have had. The guy I talked to said he would give me a good deal on a keg if I was interested.

Another question for the people who know downtown better than I. What is the best Pizza to be had? I am hoping to find a good Brooklyn style joint, if there is one. That is one of the things I really miss about living back east; good pizza. It is really hard to find over here.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I want to hear them.

Haha you really love your pizza eh? :) Anyways, I second Friday for the keg party -you have me and my buddy's money put in for it most definitely. I think one of us should buy badges or stickers or something so people who want in on the keg can just toss $10 or $15 our way during the party... but that is a whole 'nother can of worms.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I do indeed enjoy a good pizza. I am saddened by the lack of good pizza around here.

According to Big E's site the keg would be around $125 and the deposit will be $150. I was thinking we would get a collection pot going on Thursday or Friday morning and I could drive back up to get da keg. I would really like to know who all is interested ahead of time just to get an idea of how much beer and snackies we are going to need.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not much of a beer drinker (I don't drink much period). I might have one drink but I'm not one for kegging it up.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    nephthysnephthys Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That_Guy: Any idea how many PAX people you think will be at the GT? I'm getting buttons made for the button exchange, and thought it would be cool to also get some special custom buttons for GT peoples but not sure if I should order 20 or 30 or what.

Edit: Just called the hostel, and the guy found about 11 people who were marked for PAX, but I'm sure there's more PAXers who just aren't marked for it. He said an entirely filled hostel is 140 people but surely we aren't that many...?

nephthys on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I would say the number is around 40-60. It is just a guess, though. The button thing is a great idea. One thought that Ham had would be to sell badges or something for access to the keg. Would you be willing to use some one the buttons for that?

I had another thought. If everyone would be willing, we could donate the keg deposit and any money we had left over, to Child's Play. It might be a nice gesture.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    SleeperSleeper Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Looking through the posts, there should be at least 40 PAX people that reserved. When I called, the girl I talked to had no idea what PAX was, so I'm sure there are a lot of people who aren't marked.

That_Guy, count me in for the keg/pizza.

Sleeper on
  • Options
    magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I booked online for the friday night and monday night for both myelf and my friend.

magiic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hmmm... I'll see if I can get 50 buttons made without going completely broke. I want everyone to be able to have one though, so they're not going to be badges for the keg. How about get a rubber stamp to use instead of badges?

nephthys on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'd love a badge

magiic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If anyone is in the Lynnwood area, I am going to head down to Ellersick Brewery to sample some of their beer tonight. If anyone wants to join me, please come. I would love to get some opinions. I am going to be leaving now, but I will check the thread from my Blackberry.

http://www.ellersickbrewing.com/map.html

SHOW UP OR DIE!

If anyone is coming, I am in the beer garden with a transfomers shirt on.

I am going to need to reserve the keg system ASAP. If I can expect more than 30 people we might want to get 2 kegs and a double CO2 tap. They tend to get sold out quick so let me know.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ooooookay, I've got 50 custom buttons being made for the GT group. Yay! =D

nephthys on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    nephthys wrote: »
    Ooooookay, I've got 50 custom buttons being made for the GT group. Yay! =D

VERY cool!

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    notsosupermarionotsosupermario Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dunno what brooklyn style is, but the consensus among my friends is that Zeeks ( www.zeekspizza.com ) does the best pizza in town.

notsosupermario on
  • Options
    super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    it turns out that some of my friends are actually going to make it to pax this year, given that they need all the financial help they can get I'm going to share a room with them at some far off hotel with them. unfortunately i wont be sharing the hostel with all of you.

super... on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Great to hear guys. Thanks for the buttons nephthys. I am going to check out Zeek's on Thursday when I drive down. They sell pizza by the slice do I am hopeful.

As a reminder to any would-be party crashers. Our little keg party is for people staying at Green Tortoise. I really don't want a repeat of last year's Sealab party. We are going to be checking IDs at the keg. I plan on picking up a rubber stamp for ease.

super..., what days were your reservation for?

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have a big update for you all. Check the OP for the final plans!

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have a big update for you all. Check the OP for the final plans!

Thanks for calling GT - this is gonna be great!

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    super... wrote: »
    it turns out that some of my friends are actually going to make it to pax this year, given that they need all the financial help they can get I'm going to share a room with them at some far off hotel with them. unfortunately i wont be sharing the hostel with all of you.

I HAVE LOST A FRIEND. I AM SAD. WEAR YOUR AWESOME PAPERCRAFT TWEWY FROG ON YOUR HEAD SO I CAN AT LEAST SAY HI.

Blain on
  • Options
    super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    my reservation is for Friday and sat, i will likely hold onto them for a few more days just in case my friends bail on me.

my plan was to have the TWEWY frog on my shoulder until someone kills me in assassins and takes it as their booty

super... on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Must join assassins to kill you now.

Nah. Still too much work.

Blain on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What time is the party on Friday? Is it running the same time as the concerts?

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have some updated details for you all. GT is going to be covering the beer and we are going to be covering the deposits. This means I am going to need to scrape together $300 bucks by the 29th at the latest. I would like to get everything by the 28th if possible. I got the OK from Moe Fwacky to solicit pre-donations via PayPal from the forum community. Donate what you can and PM me letting me know who you are.

IMPORTANT NOTE. ALL MONEY COLLECTED FOR THE KEG DEPOSITS WILL BE DONATED TO CHILD'S PLAY. That's right, all money collected for the deposits on the kegs will go straight to Child's Play.
    x-click-butcc-donate.gif

That_Guy on
  • Options
    majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, are they covering both Kegs now? Only getting one Keg? Or are you asking for donations for deposit + Keg #2?

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    majin23x wrote: »
    So, are they covering both Kegs now? Only getting one Keg? Or are you asking for donations for deposit + Keg #2?

They are covering the cost of the beer for both kegs. We are going to cover the cost of the deposits.

If anyone really needs the money they donated for the keg deposits back, I would be happy to paypal it back after the party.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I still need donation. I only have the one so far. Good news, though. I called Big E's again and it turns out the deposit is the same for one keg or two. We just need to get together $150 (plus tax I think)

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    My friend and I would chip in but I guess we arent old enough. Lame. :(

magiic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Even though I don't like beer, I'll throw some money in once I get paid (Friday).

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Even though I don't like beer, I'll throw some money in once I get paid (Friday).

Awesome. Every little bit helps.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Eh, why not.

I'm a giver.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Eh, why not.

I'm a giver.

That's just a joke on your avatar, right? o_O

Blain on
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Blain wrote: »
    Eh, why not.

I'm a giver.

That and I made a donation..

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Blain wrote: »
    Eh, why not.

I'm a giver.

That and I made a donation..

I remember you from last year, though our conversation was brief. Can't wait til next Friday! WOO!

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Party Plans Finalized: Hamburger Helper and I have been talking about getting a big party together for one of the nights. I would still consider getting a bottle of some sort of liquor as well. I for one plan on bringing Vodka and Sake. I will be bringing my 27in LCD and my Wii with me for Rock Band or what-not. It has HDMI and Component, so bring your HD cables, if you have them. The speakers suck on them, so if I will bring my little 2.1 set. Post what you would be able to bring with you. I hope someone can bring a 360/PS3 and Rock Band for the partying down. If I am in Seattle before PAX, I will check in and see what they have planned and what we might be able to work out as far as a party.

I just got off the phone with the manager for Green Tortoise. We spoke about the party and she gave it the OK. They will be providing money for one keg, and we will over the other. They are totally down with the little bit extra it will cost to get Big E ale. We are also going to get pizzas.

Everything is in place for a Friday (29th) night party. Mark your calendars for this one. It is not to be missed!

We need donations for the Keg Deposits. I would like to get $300 raised by the 28th. All money collected for the deposits will be donated to Child's Play. Please help out if you can.
    x-click-butcc-donate.gif

Hey Nathan,

Could you elaborate on how the beer distribution will work? Who gets to drink - just those who donate? And if someone donates via paypal, how do we know it's them? I'll be picking up a stamp tomorrow to ID people.

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Party Plans Finalized: Hamburger Helper and I have been talking about getting a big party together for one of the nights. I would still consider getting a bottle of some sort of liquor as well. I for one plan on bringing Vodka and Sake. I will be bringing my 27in LCD and my Wii with me for Rock Band or what-not. It has HDMI and Component, so bring your HD cables, if you have them. The speakers suck on them, so if I will bring my little 2.1 set. Post what you would be able to bring with you. I hope someone can bring a 360/PS3 and Rock Band for the partying down. If I am in Seattle before PAX, I will check in and see what they have planned and what we might be able to work out as far as a party.

I just got off the phone with the manager for Green Tortoise. We spoke about the party and she gave it the OK. They will be providing money for one keg, and we will over the other. They are totally down with the little bit extra it will cost to get Big E ale. We are also going to get pizzas.

Everything is in place for a Friday (29th) night party. Mark your calendars for this one. It is not to be missed!

We need donations for the Keg Deposits. I would like to get $150 (no longer $300) raised by the 28th. All money collected for the deposits will be donated to Child's Play. Please help out if you can.
    x-click-butcc-donate.gif

Hey Nathan,

Could you elaborate on how the beer distribution will work? Who gets to drink - just those who donate? And if someone donates via paypal, how do we know it's them? I'll be picking up a stamp tomorrow to ID people.

No worries. Everyone (21 and over) gets to drink. The beer itself is being payed for by the Green Tortoise. We are just going to be covering the deposit on the kegs themselves. I like to think of this as a way to give something back to PAX for bringing us all together. As I said before, all money donated towards the keg deposits will be donated to Child's Play when the kegs are returned and the deposit money is returned. I have the names of people who have donated (2 so far) and I am happy to say that we are 1/3rd of the way to an awesome party. Make sure and tack me down when you get to GT so we can all drink a round to you.

Thanks for getting the stamp, man. As you said, we will be checking IDs at the keg and issueing a stamp to assure you are 21 and up.

Keep it up guys, just under $100 to go. You guys ROCK!

EDIT: Also, we are getting a pretty classy keg system. It is CO2 Powered with aluminum heat sinks that chill the beer "on demand." That means all we need to do is fill it with ice and we have cold beer. No trying to refrigerate the keg itself. We are getting the double tap shown in the middle (linked for slight NSWF)

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Buttons are now in existence!
    greentortoisebuttonske9.jpg

She also randomly made me 4 magnets of the same design for free, so if anyone has been thinking "My god, I am in deperate need of a Green Tortoise Super Squad magnet", you're in luck.

EDIT: Okay, donated to the deposit. I don't drink, but making it all a Child's Play donation is a fantastic idea.

nephthys on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    nephthys wrote: »
    Buttons are now in existence!
    greentortoisebuttonske9.jpg

She also randomly made me 4 magnets of the same design for free, so if anyone has been thinking "My god, I am in deperate need of a Green Tortoise Super Squad magnet", you're in luck.

EDIT: Okay, donated to the deposit. I don't drink, but making it all a Child's Play donation is a fantastic idea.

Awesome. You rock 2x. The buttons look great. This is, by far, the best community of people I have ever been a part of.

EDIT: $72.41 (after paypal fees) so far. We are almost there!!!

That_Guy on
This discussion has been closed.