As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS Homebrew Thread: Still Alive

• Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aww, OK, just curious. Thanks.

Now to find out about that mythical slot 2 card with 32 MB of RAM that also supports 32 GB CF cards without drawing so much power it electically kills the DS. X__X

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've heard good things about the original M3, in that department. Expensive, but for a while it was the best card on the market. It still probably is the best slot-2 card on the market, come to think of it. Avoid the SuperCard; it has the RAM, but they really cheaped out on it and it's slow as hell.

CF adaptors are kind of hard to find, though, what with them being bulky and outdated I don't think anyone makes them anymore.

If you just want the 32 megs of RAM, ewin makes a card that has that and fits flush with the DS Lite. Also, the EZFlash 3-in-1 has 16 megs, which is enough for many purposes (though Linux can use the full 32, I'm told).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I either want to get the EDGE card or CycloDS card so I can run some homebrew stuff. What's the best site (preferably in the US) to get one from?

Are these cards usually reliable over the long term?

Treeloot on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had some interest in ds homebrew until I found a new, sealed copy of the nintendo mp3 player for a dollar.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had some interest in ds homebrew until I found a new, sealed copy of the nintendo mp3 player for a dollar.

I thought the Nintendo mp3 player sucked...

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So this DSorganise web browser, does it work as well as the ones that require a RAM expansion?

Also does it run Youtube/Flash/etc?

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So this DSorganise web browser, does it work as well as the ones that require a RAM expansion?

Also does it run Youtube/Flash/etc?

It works better in some respects and worse in others, compared to the commercial Opera browser.

No browser on the DS will ever support Flash or, by extension, Youtube.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I need blue dot in this thread

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Could someone provide me with a YSMenu link? The one on the guy's site doesn't work and I can't find an alternate link anywhere.

EDIT: Also, has anyone been able to get Beneath a Steel Sky working? ScummVM works fine, but it can't find the BaSS files. I'm trying to get the CD version working.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZoneZone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so when is someone going to port x-com to the ds?

Zone on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just purchased that R4 shizzle. I shall be brewing homes shortly. *waits by mailbox*

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    DazeDaze Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just bagged myself an R4. Man these things are getting harder to find in the UK...

Daze on
  • Options
    ZoneZone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So what is the best setup if I wanted to do all these cool homebrew options? Would I need the 3-1 and a memory card and which would be the best homebrew device, the r4 or another one?

Zone on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The general consensus a few pages back was to buy a DSTT (cheap) or a CycloDS (robust) with a Kingston MicroSD card. A 3-in-1 is necessary only if you want to do GBA homebrew (or use the RAM for the web browser, rumble pack, etc).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    so are most of you guys doing the flashme thing? in the OP it says that the "bricker" virus is not much of a concern anymore and the health and safety warning really doesn't bother me.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The OP was really useful a while back, but I don't think any of modern (ie, ones that you want) homebrew solutions require it, so the main reason to do it would be the health and safety screen.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I just ordered an R4 so I guess that already checks for the virus?

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The health and safety screen is pretty much the only reason I did FlashMe.

The virus (it's not really a "virus" because it doesn't self-replicate; "malware", maybe?) is basically never seen anymore.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I may have to order a couple more DSTTs or such items soon since Nintendo seems intent on shitting all over the flashcart market.

Only question is, do I want to invest in a 3-in-1 to get my mobile Quake on? :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I may have to order a couple more DSTTs or such items soon since Nintendo seems intent on shitting all over the flashcart market.

The answer is yes.

the Ewin expansion pack will also work.

and Nintendo's current campaign seems to me to be sort of like nailing jelly to a wall, but we'll see; I could be wrong.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ampix wrote: »

I thought the Nintendo mp3 player sucked...

It works. No more, no less.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

The answer is yes.

and Nintendo's current campaign seems to me to be sort of like nailing jelly to a wall, but we'll see; I could be wrong.

Awesomesauce. Will the Ewin also work for Quake II?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The answer is yes.

Awesomesauce. Will the Ewin also work for Quake II?

Quake II is the only one that actually needs the expansion pack. Quake I works without it (well, all but one level).

For RAM purposes, the Ewin is somewhat better than the 3-in-1, as it has a full 32 MB of RAM (edit: to the 3-in-1's 16MB, although Quake II only ever uses 16MB anyway). It doesn't have NORFlash or a rumble motor, though.

Also, I've been informed that my BatchDPG link in the OP went down, and after some googling there apparently isn't a site around that hosts it that isn't also a piracy site. Fuck.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I was looking on Youtube and I noticed that the DS and PSP versions of Quake can all play via Wi-Fi on a PC set up with a dedicated server. How awesome would it be to have a mix of DS and PSP players all in one room playing Quake via a LAN.

Almost makes me want to look into this homebrew thing.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I was looking on Youtube and I noticed that the DS and PSP versions of Quake can all play via Wi-Fi on a PC set up with a dedicated server. How awesome would it be to have a mix of DS and PSP players all in one room playing Quake via a LAN.

Can people playing quake on the PC do it as well?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Honestly I dunno but I don't see why not.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The health and safety screen is pretty much the only reason I did FlashMe.

The virus (it's not really a "virus" because it doesn't self-replicate; "malware", maybe?) is basically never seen anymore.

Wait what is this thing and what does it have to do with R4?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We'll have to set up a Quake Wii V DS tournament.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Yes, once the standard dedicated server is set up, pretty much anyone that could connect to it can play together (PSP, DS, PC, etc).

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That is the most awesome thing ever. Though I hope you're playing with friends, otherwise PC users without handicaps will rape you silly.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    That is the most awesome thing ever. Though I hope you're playing with friends, otherwise PC users without handicaps will rape you silly.

Even without PC users to provide sodomy, I predict the rankings will be "Wii >>> DS > PSP"

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just bought a R4 knockoff since I figured I better get one before Nintendo outlaws them. I'm hoping it sparks a renewed interest in my DS which I haven't really touched in about 8 months.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ok my R4 came in the mail today, but without the CD that has the files or instructions. Can anybody help me out on those two fronts?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok my R4 came in the mail today, but without the CD that has the files or instructions. Can anybody help me out on those two fronts?

You might have good luck here: http://r4ds.cn/

Warning, thar be engrish here.
    It is just an amazing little device like original DS cart size

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    well shit reviews I read said they updated r4ds.com pretty well but that site is down, I'm still waiting for mine in the mail fyi

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I can get ScummVM to load, in the directory it gives me a whole bunch of files labled A-F to load up to load up the ScummVM program. But I can't get any games to work for it. I tried to get Beneath A Steel Sky to work on it by downloading it from that site linked but ScummVM says, can't find any games. I'm using R4 if that helps. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just a heads up incase it hasn't been mentioned: CodenameHacker (a.k.a Chip's Challenge homebrew) is good for the first 15 levels, but then gets suck.

1) Boxes are buggy. They move slower on ice than chip does, so he can get "run over" by a box just by following it on the ice. Also, when you are pushing the boxes, stuff on the other side of the box can pass through (hello Mr Fireball).

2) Some of the original Chip's Challenge tiles aren't implemented properly. This is a game breaker/blocker.

Those two problems mean you basically need to play the game with the level codes in front of you, so you can skip the stuffed ones.

Klaymen on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can get ScummVM to load, in the directory it gives me a whole bunch of files labled A-F to load up to load up the ScummVM program. But I can't get any games to work for it. I tried to get Beneath A Steel Sky to work on it by downloading it from that site linked but ScummVM says, can't find any games. I'm using R4 if that helps. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Each build (A-F) supports a different set of games.

I believe build B is for Beneath a Steel Sky.

edit: Oh lookey here! There's a new version out, with support for a few new games!
    http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6079

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.