As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (Photos On Page 14)

• faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well the only way I'm going to do the challenges is if every one of those fancy-named things actually means "whiskey, neat"

faits on
    faits.png
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    faits wrote: »
    Well the only way I'm going to do the challenges is if every one of those fancy-named things actually means "whiskey, neat"

If everyone was allowed to stay within their comfort zones, it wouldn't be much of a challenge now would it? ;)

The challenges are designed to have fun and they vary from stop to stop. Some may let you drink what you want, some may outright say what you need to drink. None of them are designed to be impossible. I left the flaming shots out.

Atlus Parker on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    You should post the challenge descriptions.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008

If everyone was allowed to stay within their comfort zones, it wouldn't be much of a challenge now would it? ;)

The challenges are designed to have fun and they vary from stop to stop. Some may let you drink what you want, some may outright say what you need to drink. None of them are designed to be impossible. I left the flaming shots out.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I am just a party pooper, I will just be pounding whiskey, pooping the party.

faits on
    faits.png
  • CorneliusbCorneliusb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jonman wrote: »
    I'm in. The 2 mile commute from home should have my fellow drinkers green with envy. Any other English folk attending, or will I be representing the drinking honour (yes, it has a 'u' in it) of my countrymen alone?

As for wizardry equipment - I have one question - wizards ride horses, right?

Well I am pretty sure I will be in attendance although being Scottish I don't quite meet your criteria.

Corneliusb on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in...after the dinner

JonnyNero on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My female companion and I may partake, however, as we're not big fans of most of those bars, we may just end up heading over to Prost! or die Bier Stube for some German bier and food.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to be doing the dinner, but I'll join in afterwards.

I don't have a wand or robe, but I have a big pointy hat with crescent moons on it that I'll be rocking.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    beta_angel wrote: »
    My female companion and I may partake, however, as we're not big fans of most of those bars, we may just end up heading over to Prost! or die Bier Stube for some German bier and food.

What are these German bars you speak of?

Mustard Tiger on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh god how did Moe let you get away with this. Also someone WILL do a flaming shot before the night is done.

ArcticXC on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    Oh god how did Moe let you get away with this. Also someone WILL do a flaming shot before the night is done.

I'll do a cowboy killer as long as someone does it with me.

Someone add these to the route now!

redhalo on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

Prost is awesome, but it is nowhere near anything else PAX-related! (except my apartment)

MetaverseNomad on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This completely depends on when I get into Seattle, but if I'm there i'll be down at least in part.

Polago on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Me and Ghazi are both there. I will attempt every single challenge. I am even willing to do a flamming shot.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

Prost is awesome, but it is nowhere near anything else PAX-related! (except my apartment)

Yes, unfortunately, all 3 of the good German bars are a bit off the beaten path for PAX. However, if you're interested and have a vehicle, die Bier Stube (which I prefer to Prost) is about 10 minutes from PAX, Prost is really only about 15 minutes away. Feierabend, my least favorite, is also around 10 minutes.

Directions to each bar:

As I mentioned, by car, they're fairly close. They are a bit off the beaten path. I will say that I would choose any of those bars over just about every bar in town, but that's a personal preference (I prefer German beer and the only thing the other bars serve is Beck's). If I want hard alcohol, I will end up going to Barca as they know how to mix a drink and have a damn fine bar.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • gfishgfish Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey guys, my plane rolls in at 9:50, it'll be a bit before I can check in and start roamng, and I know nobody there so I can't call for current crawl location info. Some of the bars I'm googling for have multiple locations, so I'm wondering if bar addresses can be had at the top? I'm adding them to a Google MyMaps so I can make an attempt to join up whenever I can get out of the hotel checkin.

gfish on
    -- PokeTron: Ampharos
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    if you look at the original thread, which is linked in the OP, it has a google map with all the bars on it.

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2008
    I knew I had seen it somewhere! One round on me.

gfish on
  • BlurbyBlurby Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    This is awesome and I'm going to try to get in for part of it post-dinner.

One thing: I live up the street from the stumbling monk and it's not exactly a pub-crawl bar. Pretty small, pretty chill, and not really set up to handle the volume of people that this might be. Maybe a better pick would be Clever Dunne's down the street? Or maybe Redwood? For the true Seattle experience there's the Crescent (terrible aweful karaoke optional)

Blurby on
  • NepoNepo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm there. You know i'm there. In group A.

Nepo on
  • Dionysos911Dionysos911 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This sounds too good to pass up.

Dionysos911 on
    edited August 2008
    Blurby wrote: »
    (terrible aweful karaoke optional)

You just sold me. One of my friends who is coming into town for PAX does the best (hilarious) karaoke I've ever witnessed.

faits on
    faits.png
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I won't be participating in the tournament. But I'll be an engaged spectator.

And I've got a couple of drunken hilarity things up my sleeve as well. ;)

JonnyNero on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Count me in! Maybe not for the drinking contest itself, as I'm embarrassingly inexperienced in the world of drinking... but I'll be along for the crawl =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Count me in! Maybe not for the drinking contest itself, as I'm embarrassingly inexperienced in the world of drinking... but I'll be along for the crawl =)
    Some revelers are made to feel uncomfortable by the company of non-drinkers, but certainly not me.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
    edited August 2008
    Woot! Excellent =)

My big thing is that... well, I'm a big guy that looks like he'd be down for guzzling beer and/or shots of hard liquor... but I like drinks that taste good, and I can only have a very limited amount of heavy alcohol before it does a number on me. =) I've gotten some... pretty funny looks when I go to a bar and the bartender gets ready to bust out a shot glass, and I ask him if he's got a bottle of Smirnoff Ice. =);)

VThornheart on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Blurby wrote: »
    This is awesome and I'm going to try to get in for part of it post-dinner.

One thing: I live up the street from the stumbling monk and it's not exactly a pub-crawl bar. Pretty small, pretty chill, and not really set up to handle the volume of people that this might be. Maybe a better pick would be Clever Dunne's down the street? Or maybe Redwood? For the true Seattle experience there's the Crescent (terrible aweful karaoke optional)

Yeah the guy on the phone had a heart attack when presented with the idea of mroe than 5 people being in the vicinity of the Stumbling Monk. What's the walking distance from these bars or maybe just their addresses so I can check them out?

Atlus Parker on
    edited August 2008
    Woot! Excellent =)

My big thing is that... well, I'm a big guy that looks like he'd be down for guzzling beer and/or shots of hard liquor... but I like drinks that taste good, and I can only have a very limited amount of heavy alcohol before it does a number on me. =) I've gotten some... pretty funny looks when I go to a bar and the bartender gets ready to bust out a shot glass, and I ask him if he's got a bottle of Smirnoff Ice. =);)
    Well, it could be all that sugar in things like Smirnoff Ice that's making your stomach feel all a-rot. Just 3 or 4 of those things have enough sucrose in them to chap the kindeys of even Olympian guzzlers. A light and tasty beer or a fruit juice-based mixer might treat you surprisingly well. If, indeed, you are interested in adding some effervescence to your evening, that is.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Karaoke? I'm in.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited August 2008
    beer and/or shots of hard liquor... but I like drinks that taste good

There are people who think beer tastes good (I think they are wrong) and personally I think that good whiskey (not bad whiskey) is delicious.

faits on
    faits.png
    edited August 2008
    Wait, I must've missed something... karaoke? I'll do that stone cold sober. I'll have to look through the old posts in this thread, I didn't realize there was Karaoke about.

And Post Blue, I think it really is the alcohol for me. Indeed 3 or 4 Smirnoff Ice's will get me... but 3 or 4 beers will get me too (and they taste so much worse to me =) ), and even just a single shot usually gets me pretty messed up, and I've yet to taste anything that one might be inclined to put in a shot glass that tastes good to me. =)

VThornheart on
    edited August 2008
    but I like drinks that taste good,

I find Gin and Orange Juice pretty tasty. But non- and light drinkers are A-OK in my books.

Like they say, you don't have to have fun to drink.

Wait, what?

gfish on
    edited August 2008
    Fair enough, VThornheart. : )

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
    edited August 2008
    =) Well, I'll be there either way... and I'll see what I can do. =) Maybe some of you alcohol experts can introduce me to some new delicious liquid wares. =)

VThornheart on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    beer and/or shots of hard liquor... but I like drinks that taste good

There are people who think beer tastes good (I think they are wrong) and personally I think that good whiskey (not bad whiskey) is delicious.

It's true!

Also, Washington Apples, tasty to everybody and has Crown Royal.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008
    Yeah the guy on the phone had a heart attack when presented with the idea of mroe than 5 people being in the vicinity of the Stumbling Monk. What's the walking distance from these bars or maybe just their addresses so I can check them out?
    Just keep walking down Olive to find the other bars. Clever Dunne's is about 2 blocks further, just past Amante Pizza. Crescent, about a block further, is the eye-exploding purple cave of a building

Blurby on
    edited August 2008
    The rusty nail is for sure in my top 5 drinks. Simple and delicious, not too crazy on the sweet. Then again, I use Drambuie in almost everything ;)

Blurby on
    edited August 2008
    gfish wrote: »
    but I like drinks that taste good,

I find Gin and Orange Juice pretty tasty. But non- and light drinkers are A-OK in my books.

Like they say, you don't have to have fun to drink.

Wait, what?

I bought some duty-free bombay sapphire on the cruise I went on back in may because my liquor cabinet is composed entirely of different types of whiskey (and I thought it would be nice to have some other things for folks who come over and don't like whiskey.) So one night I decided to take a 16oz cold cup, fill it half with bombay sapphire and half with v8 fusion orange juice, and go to town.

In my opinion it tasted like medicine, but I could not stop drinking it.

faits on
    faits.png
    edited August 2008
    lol faits! Aye, medicine taste is what kills me about the harder stuff. =) But nonetheless, I'll no doubt be drinking that too... I'm not averse to trying it out =)

VThornheart on
    edited August 2008
    I bought some duty-free bombay sapphire on the cruise I went on back in may because my liquor cabinet is composed entirely of different types of whiskey (and I thought it would be nice to have some other things for folks who come over and don't like whiskey.) So one night I decided to take a 16oz cold cup, fill it half with bombay sapphire and half with v8 fusion orange juice, and go to town.

In my opinion it tasted like medicine, but I could not stop drinking it.

If the mix is right, it tastes JUST like grapefruit juice. But yeah, too much gin and it's medicine, too little and it's just OJ.

Mind you, for avoiding hangovers, getting your vitamins in with the booze is paramount!

I'm happy to try new things and pass on my own favourites. Part of the fun!

gfish on
This discussion has been closed.