As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek Online - Engage!

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh and also this game looks pretty "eh" but it will be super nice to have some competition with EvE to make CCP stop sitting on their asses about decent fixes.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    Also Voyager was like the worst star trek ever....actually Deep Space nine was worse. Space Station? Come on that just takes the fun out of the whole thing.
    DS9 had some great stories. It's failing was putting those stories in Star Trek. Though, some of the stories we a little eh... I'm looking right at you, Vic Fontaine.

You shut your filthy mouth, pally.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I love how people always lay into Eve about needing to use excel to play it.

Now I've been playing eve for two years and never even used an excel sheet. I don't think you were playing the game right guys.

That's not what they're saying. They're saying EVE is basically like playing a spreadsheet. There's very little GAME there, just crunching numbers.

Take, for example, combat. This consists of selecting a target, selecting a range, and pressing "fire". There's basically no interactivity beyond that. It may get more involved when more ships are introduced, but the fundamentals are boring as shit, and that's all you're shown when you first start playing the game.

Garthor on
  • kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm so excited about this game that I busted out my 14 year old Star Trek Encyclopedia... and I'm reading it...

By Q, what is happening to me?! :*(

And I started a trial and tried out EVE for a few hours today. It's pretty okay... I'll play for the next week. But I can definitely see how STO can take some cues and spice this shit up at the same time.

knigge on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    knigge wrote: »
    I'm so excited about this game that I busted out my 14 year old Star Trek Encyclopedia... and I'm reading it...

And I started a trial and tried out EVE for a few hours today. It's pretty okay... I'll play for the next week. But I can definitely see how STO can take some cues and spice this shit up at the same time.

I have a Star Trek official cook book i got for 50 cents at a used book store! Its the original Star Trek too and was published in 1978 !

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I have a Star Trek official cook book i got for 50 cents at a used book store! Its the original Star Trek too and was published in 1978 !

Awesome - I suggest you hold a dinner party based on recipes from said book

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited August 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »

Awesome - I suggest you hold a dinner party based on recipes from said book

My favourite ones are the klingon ones.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In my opinion...

Let me repeat that.

In my opinion the big turn off for me in EvE was you couldn't up and walk around. I know it's a trite complaint. It's all about the Pew Pew, and I understand it and accept it. The game wasn't for me, and I was thankful for the 15 day trial to allow me to make that decision on my own.

However, what really turns me off about the star trek game is that I don't want to be a starship captain. I honestly honestly lothe the idea, and think it's retarded.

I want to hitchhike across the federation....

I want to be dropped off on some space station, and hitch a ride to bajor or chill in the nutral zone. All you captains can have your starships, I just want a ride. Better yet, say, you need an engineer? I'm pretty handy with warp coils. No docter? Hold on, let me brush up on my hypo-spray skill and I could hang out in sick-bay. I can not tell you how strongly I do not want a ship and a bunch of mindless AI lackeys to command. If I were a captain, I want real people on my bridge. I would gladly hang out at a post at take short-term jobs to get from point A to point B. There I can collect my personal inventory of do-bobs, but for Christ's sake, don't give me a "command" of 400 randomly generated bots. At most I aspire to have a firefly with a tiny HUMAN crew to chill with.

That's what I want.

halkun on
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A lot of people are asking for that. It would be cool, but it would take time/money to develop and appeal to a much narrower audience.

Akinos on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    halkun wrote: »
    In my opinion...

Let me repeat that.

In my opinion the big turn off for me in EvE was you couldn't up and walk around. I know it's a trite complaint. It's all about the Pew Pew, and I understand it and accept it. The game wasn't for me, and I was thankful for the 15 day trial to allow me to make that decision on my own.

However, what really turns me off about the star trek game is that I don't want to be a starship captain. I honestly honestly lothe the idea, and think it's retarded.

I want to hitchhike across the federation....

I want to be dropped off on some space station, and hitch a ride to bajor or chill in the nutral zone. All you captains can have your starships, I just want a ride. Better yet, say, you need an engineer? I'm pretty handy with warp coils. No docter? Hold on, let me brush up on my hypo-spray skill and I could hang out in sick-bay. I can not tell you how strongly I do not want a ship and a bunch of mindless AI lackeys to command. If I were a captain, I want real people on my bridge. I would gladly hang out at a post at take short-term jobs to get from point A to point B. There I can collect my personal inventory of do-bobs, but for Christ's sake, don't give me a "command" of 400 randomly generated bots. At most I aspire to have a firefly with a tiny HUMAN crew to chill with.

That's what I want.

i can say that you're wrong. There is no gameplay mechanic that can make player crewed ships as you describe fun, ever, ever. What you are suggesting is pretty hardcore roleplay.

Maybe something textbased would work, but nothing mainstream. Could you imagine it? Depending on common mouth-breathers to play minigames or something so you can turn left and raise shields.

let me roleplay a science officer and play snakes or something to determine what color a nebulae is. Maybe play frogger to enter warp. Want to shoot phasers? Too bad your tactical officer is in the bathroom getting yelled at by his mom for not mowing the lawn. Or maybe there is no mini-games and playing STO involves sitting at a console clicking the appropriate buttons to keep the elevators working. Sim-communications officer.

ahahahahaha. Man you trolled me, right?

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just because you lack any creativity does not mean an idea wouldn't work.

Garthor on
    edited August 2008
    Perpetual were trying to let people crew ships.

We all know what happened to Perpetual.

Akinos on
  • n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Puzzle Pirates has been brought up several times as a natural example of a formula that would work for Star Trek. Not that I'm saying the current mechanic is better or worse, rather that the idea of many people on one ship has been done before and successfully at that. No reason adding a little more depth and adult gameplay to that formula wouldn't work just as well.

edit: ^^^ Going to assume you're joking.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Garthor wrote: »

Now I've been playing eve for two years and never even used an excel sheet. I don't think you were playing the game right guys.

That's not what they're saying. They're saying EVE is basically like playing a spreadsheet. There's very little GAME there, just crunching numbers.

Take, for example, combat. This consists of selecting a target, selecting a range, and pressing "fire". There's basically no interactivity beyond that. It may get more involved when more ships are introduced, but the fundamentals are boring as shit, and that's all you're shown when you first start playing the game.

So, you flew the newbie ship for a couple hours said "fuck this" and quit?

Congrats.

Anyways, combat in eve is actually a bit more involved... Had you played for a day or two, joined a corp, tried out PVP you would have come to know this. But hey, you're an expert, you played for a couple hours.

Comahawk on
    edited August 2008
    n00bish wrote: »
    Puzzle Pirates has been brought up several times as a natural example of a formula that would work for Star Trek. Not that I'm saying the current mechanic is better or worse, rather that the idea of many people on one ship has been done before and successfully at that. No reason adding a little more depth and adult gameplay to that formula wouldn't work just as well.

Me? Joking about what?

As for Eve, I've tried it a few times, I can never seem to get interested in playing after the tutorial (the tutorial being a huge feat in intself, iirc.)

Akinos on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Akinos wrote: »

Me? Joking about what?

As for Eve, I've tried it a few times, I can never seem to get interested in playing after the tutorial (the tutorial being a huge feat in intself, iirc.)

Apparently it is shorter now... I played through the old one though, and it was needed.

Comahawk on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    with all the mods available you can have very involved combat in EvE

PvE is boring as shit, but the pvp in EvE if some of the best in any MMO ever made. I'm not just talking about the pew pew, but also how players control the wars, the goal of the wars and the prize of winning a war.

It's all good times, it just takes a long time to get into. At least it did for me.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

So, you flew the newbie ship for a couple hours said "fuck this" and quit?

Congrats.

Anyways, combat in eve is actually a bit more involved... Had you played for a day or two, joined a corp, tried out PVP you would have come to know this. But hey, you're an expert, you played for a couple hours.

This.

I personally LOVE the 'spreadsheet in space' kind of play, but that's why I went gung-ho on mining when I played Eve. The combat really isn't like that at all, unless you really want to get hardcore about calculating the exact BEST combination of ships and parts.

And the 'players man a station instead of captain a ship' thing SEEMS fun, until you log on, realize that there's no ships coming through the station you're on, and you wait there for several hours to no avail, since you can't pilot a ship yourself.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    deowolf wrote: »
    Also Voyager was like the worst star trek ever....actually Deep Space nine was worse. Space Station? Come on that just takes the fun out of the whole thing.
    DS9 had some great stories. It's failing was putting those stories in Star Trek. Though, some of the stories we a little eh... I'm looking right at you, Vic Fontaine.
    What, you gonna call that effete genius and his pussy-whipped Brokeback Spacestation friend to back you up? You're better off inviting Tits Ahoy or the MILF and her magic candle dildo from the other shows.

GungHo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    PvE is boring as shit, but the pvp in EvE if some of the best in any MMO ever made. I'm not just talking about the pew pew, but also how players control the wars, the goal of the wars and the prize of winning a war.
    And what % of the gameplay consists of actual PVP combat, versus travel, mining/retting for money purposes, and just sitting around waiting for shit to happen?

Glal on
  • elgatoelgato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I mean I love space battle. But is anyone as interested in the exploring of actual planets? (*I am*)

elgato on
  • TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    elgato wrote: »
    I mean I love space battle. But is anyone as interested in the exploring of actual planets? (*I am*)

yes, sounds like fun, but what's the reward?

remember, in Star Trek there's no money, you just get whatever you want and nothings in it 'for the profit' short of the Ferrengi who are despised and hated for being capitalists to the 1000th percentile.

i dunno, i just don' t see how they'd do it.

If they let you gank people at stations, that's not Star trek like, because in Star Trek, nobody's 'mean' and shoot little ships when they undock.

I'm a fan of the TV show and all, but I just don't see how it could be a fun game unless they go 'all out war' like Starfleet Battles did.

Trekkie on
    Eve Online: Zareph
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, there's a split on that one. Roddenberry was strictly against credits or any other sort of monetary unit in/post TNG, while absolutely everyone else took every opportunity they could to shoehorn it back into it.

Care to guess whether the guys making it will figure out how a futuristic economy like that could exist or whether they'll just take gold and call it credits? I'm not holding my breath.

Glal on
  • kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I imagine Reputation points will be used to pimp out your ship and crew, and then possibly collecting credits for non-Federation (or Empire) dealings, like the Ferangi or even the opposing faction, like say you want some Klingon device for your Federation ship, but Rep points won't work on that planet.

knigge on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What, you gonna call that effete genius and his pussy-whipped Brokeback Spacestation friend to back you up? You're better off inviting Tits Ahoy or the MILF and her magic candle dildo from the other shows.

I get the Bashir and OBrien reference, but who are Tits and the MILF? Seven and Janeway? Troi and Crusher?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I get the Bashir and OBrien reference, but who are Tits and the MILF? Seven and Janeway? Troi and Crusher?

"MILF and her magic candle dildo" is definately Crusher, from that episode on planet Ireland with the ghost candle that banged all the women in her family for generations.

I don't know what's worse. The fact that I watch too much TV, or the fact that I actually retain most of that knowledge.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Akinos wrote: »

Me? Joking about what?

Oh.

Perpetual went away on account of a lawsuit (dismissed, but still) and a bunch of stuff not related to STO at all, much less a single mechanics decision.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Multi-person ship crews could work.

They'd just work with a playerbase of 20k after the initial rush of people joining then getting frustrated with how hard it is to get a crew to work together and how boring it'd be when you're not the guy on helm or guns.

Seriously, people who are lining up to be engineers or comm officers or whatever are freaks.

Scooter on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think it would have a comm officer. head doctor person maybe to monitor life support and enemy biological readings and stuff maybe.

but engineers would just heal the ship all day, thats nuts

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "MILF and her magic candle dildo" is definately Crusher, from that episode on planet Ireland with the ghost candle that banged all the women in her family for generations.

I don't know what's worse. The fact that I watch too much TV, or the fact that I actually retain most of that knowledge.
    Tits Ahoy is 7 of 9. And, yes, the MILF is Crusher. I remember the look on Picard's face when he walked in on her mid-orgasm. I have no idea how Patrick Stewart pulled that off.

GungHo on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Trekkie wrote: »

yes, sounds like fun, but what's the reward?

remember, in Star Trek there's no money, you just get whatever you want and nothings in it 'for the profit' short of the Ferrengi who are despised and hated for being capitalists to the 1000th percentile.

i dunno, i just don' t see how they'd do it.

If they let you gank people at stations, that's not Star trek like, because in Star Trek, nobody's 'mean' and shoot little ships when they undock.

I'm a fan of the TV show and all, but I just don't see how it could be a fun game unless they go 'all out war' like Starfleet Battles did.

I'm guessing instead of money they'll just have you rise and fall in rank, promotions/demotions. I mean, what else would you spend money on other than bigger ships anyway?

And there's not going to be any ganking at space stations, open pvp will only be in neutral zones and the like.

Frankly, if you can't imagine a Star Trek MMO without open and total warfare, I'm forced to wonder what you ever liked about the show.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2008

Tits Ahoy is 7 of 9. And, yes, the MILF is Crusher. I remember the look on Picard's face when he walked in on her mid-orgasm. I have no idea how Patrick Stewart pulled that off.

I must have missed these episodes - link?

Kalkino on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I too must have missed it.

Episode found:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_Rosa_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Shens on
    edited August 2008
    Shens wrote: »

I too must have missed it.

Episode found:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_Rosa_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Thanks. Truly a magical erotic candle that fucks Scots ethnic women on spaceship is a wonderful thing

Kalkino on
    edited August 2008
    Engage phalic drive!

Elimination on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

What about terraforming them, and planting colonies and adding your own species of plants and animals, trying to create a balanced ecosystem...

Oh wait, that's Spore, not Star Trek. Speaking of which... there's a prototype game up at spore.com that lets you explore a galaxy and make friends/enemies and terraform planets.

Things that would make STO fun... exploring, finding new planets, new civilizations... boldly going where no-one else has gone before.

I mean, it's freaking STAR TREK, not Star Pew Pew.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hear spore installs securom on your computer and only lets you install the game three times

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think multi-player ships could work. It's not that much different than putting together a raid in most other MMOs. Anyone who says that no one will want to play a support role is ignoring every tank/healer in every other MMO out there. However, even WoW is looking to adopt a two spec system, so maybe they could give everyone a combat skill set, then let you pick a profission/specialty. So even if you're good with a hypospray, you can still bust out a phaser and pew pew when needed.

Here's a plan for muli-player ships:

Let's say that instead of guilds, you have "fleets" and instead of groups/raids, you have "crews". Instead of money, you earn "individual requisition" and when working with your fleet, you earn "fleet requisition". Everyone at any time can requisition a basic version of a 1 or 5 crew ship for free. These basic ships are good enough to run starter missions. At any time, you can flag your basic ship as "Individual Custom" and spend individual requisition on better parts. This custom ship then becomes saved to you. So you can request a basic ship, flag it as custom, then put a buch of science stuff on it, then request another basic ship, flag it as custom, then kit it out with combat parts, etc. This way, if you feel like logging in to run some solo missions, then you can just jump in your custom 1 man shuttle and be on your way. Or if you want to run some small multi-player stuff, you can invite some people to join your 5-man crew (after seeing who's got the best 5-man ship for the job).

Now if you get enough people together to form a fleet (guild) then anyone in the fleet can requisiton basic 10/25 man ships for free. There are entry level 10/25 man missions that award fleet requisition that you can run with a basic ship. Fleet Commanders (guild masters) and officers can flag a ship as "Fleet Custom", and then spend the Fleet's requisition upgrading it, and set permissions on who gets to use it. Completeing 10/25 man missions would award Fleet and Individual Requisition points. So if you only have 7 on, and you invite 3 from another fleet to help out, your fleet gets 70% of the fleet req., and the other guys' fleet gets 30%, and everyone gets a chunk of individual req.

The Big Levinsky on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    I hear spore installs securom on your computer and only lets you install the game three times

Eh? That discussion has been had in other places many times... the whole spore/mass effect(?) drm thing... they did away with it. Now it only checks your cd key on install, or something like that. it only phones home once. but this isn't the spore thread.

As to the multi-crewed ship... I would love to play a science officer, scanning other ships or planet surfaces, looking for weakness or special occurrences... yay science officers!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    edited August 2008
    In the webcast Jack Emmert said players will have distinct career paths in addition to being Captains.

He also stressed that you don't start out with the rank "Captain," you are simply a Captain of your ship. If that makes sense.

Hell, I'll just quote the FAQ again...
    Will everyone be the Captain of their own ship?
    Yes, but you will have to earn the responsibility and skill to command larger and more powerful vessels. Remember, in Star Trek as well as naval tradition, whoever commands the ship is the "Captain," even if it is not your current rank.

Can I play something other than a Captain like a Doctor or an Engineer?
    Everyone is a Captain, (remember, if you command a ship, you are automatically a Captain), and you will command a crew, but that does not limit your role. Your character will still be able to choose from a variety of career paths, such as Engineer, Tactical Officer, Doctor, Science Officer, etc. Your career path is your root, and will affect your skills, and how you command your crew. Consider Jean-Luc Picard, Beverly Crusher, Worf and Kathryn Janeway. Picard was an archeologist and diplomat, Crusher was a doctor, Worf a security/tactical officer, and Janeway was a scientist. Each eventually chose a career in command and became ship captains. This does not mean the game will limit your ship choices based on your profession – far from it. The examples are simply an example of how the game design was inspired.

In conclusion, I think some people are assuming everyone is going to play the same exact Captain character, but that does sound like the case at all.

Akinos on