As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2005 Update

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited February 2005 in PAX Archive
I've been getting a few emails and PMs on what's going on with next year, so I figured I'd answer the big ones here:

1. The date?
August 26th, 27th and 28th.

2. Three days, huh?
Yes- we'll be moving to a three day, non-24 hour format. A bunch of bad stuff happened in the wee hours of the morning last year, plus we want to promote afterhours parties and such. It'll still be open super late on Friday and Saturday night... 1 or 2 AM at the earliest.

3. Cost?
It won't be too much more expensive than last year.. possibly cheaper on a daily basis.

4. Venue?
We're juggling a few right now, but i'm sure the guys will announce it on the front page once we know. Let's just say we want to make sure the overcrowding of last year doesn't happen again.

5. The Concert? Who's playing? Will I actually get to see them this year?
Think last year and more. And yes, you'll definitely be able to see them this year. The theatre section will seat 1,000+ easy.

6. When does registration start?
January at the latest.

Anything else I missed?

-robert

Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2004
    2. Three days, huh?
    Yes- we'll be moving to a three day, non-24 hour format. A bunch of bad stuff happened in the wee hours of the morning last year, plus we want to promote afterhours parties and such. It'll still be open super late on Friday and Saturday night... 1 or 2 AM at the earliest.

Horray!

Does this mean we get the enforcer "Teams of roaming assholes" to clear everyone out at closing time? :D

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2004
    come on man, dont give red another reason to use his ungodly huge foot on someones a$$ :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    <sigh> We will politely remind people that it's closing time... with your foot i suppose if necessary.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Three days? Schwank!

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2004
    I formally request the addition of a beatmania IIDX 10th Style machine to the festivities.

And put it on freeplay.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I formally request the addition of a beatmania IIDX 10th Style machine to the festivities.

And put it on freeplay.
    I don't think theres even a place in the state that has one of these. Theres a place in tacoma with plain Beatmania III 7th mix, but no IIDX.

I say they get a Drummania 8th Mix machine instead.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    JoahW wrote:

And put it on freeplay.
    I don't think theres even a place in the state that has one of these. Theres a place in tacoma with plain Beatmania III 7th mix, but no IIDX.

8th? Fuck 8th. 10th is out now, and it's fucking AMAZING.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2004
    Any ideas on where it'll be located this year? I'd really like to attend this time.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    JoahW wrote:

And put it on freeplay.

If they're going to get any sort of rhythm action game, its likely it will come from a local arcade (like illusionz or narrows plaza) Illuzions has a 6th mix, and Narrows has an 8th mix. IIDX 10th or DM 10th would be very hard to get.

Trust me, I live here.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    JoahW wrote:

And put it on freeplay.

You mean 11th, right? :P

Beatmania IIDX RED was released not too long ago in JP arcades.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    GT RacerGT Racer Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Whats the reason for having it so late in the summer?
    Us college kids usually are just starting our first week of classes that week

GT Racer on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    GT Racer wrote:
    Whats the reason for having it so late in the summer?
    Us college kids usually are just starting our first week of classes that week

I think it's mostly because there are a ton of other conventions right before it and they would rather pick a free weekend then have to cram a whole ton of stuff in at once.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    Would there be any way to move PAX up a few weeks. Those of us on the Semester schedule for College get kind screwed with PAX there in the last week of August.

Even moving it up one week would make a huge difference.

SoulFury on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    um don't colleges all start at different times?

futility on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    JoahW wrote:

And put it on freeplay.

You mean 11th, right? :P

Beatmania IIDX RED was released not too long ago in JP arcades.
    There's a LONG list of songs that has to be on the machine for the D to be pleased. I can totally overlook a lack of Rislim, but without Starmine, I feel..., Last Message, Buffalo, Burning Heat, etc. etc. etc. I won't be a very happy camper.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    you should have it in strongbadia. they have population tire

futility on
  • Options
    AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Any chance of a hole in the ground for us cheapos to sleep in?

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • Options
    Barenaked_EnidBarenaked_Enid Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    SoulFury wrote:
    Would there be any way to move PAX up a few weeks. Those of us on the Semester schedule for College get kind screwed with PAX there in the last week of August.

But it's perfect for us Canadians! Right after summer parties start to dim down and right before school starts for everyone.

Barenaked_Enid on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    SoulFury wrote:

But it's perfect for us Canadians! Right after summer parties start to dim down and right before school starts for everyone.

Well, that's you Canadians.

Crazy Canadians. Up there in your Canadia.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    I really don't see what the giant fuckin fuss is.

WAAAHHH MAKE IT THE DAYS I DON'T HAVE SCHOOL WAAAAHHHH PUT IT IN MY HOMETOWN WAAAHHHH THIS VENUE SUCKS MAKE IT BIGGER WAAAHHH shut the fuck up already. It's Gabe & Tycho's thing, they'll make the decisions.

It's the 26th through the 28th, they've decided on that because THAT'S WHEN THEY FUCKING WANT IT TO BE. It's going to be in Seattle because THAT'S WHERE THEY FUCKING WANT IT TO BE. If they wanted it in fucking Chula Vista or fucking Red Deer or wherever the fuck you simps want it to be, they'd put it there. Do they? Probably not. It's a sure thing that it's going to be in Seattle. Deal.

Schedule not right for you? Don't fucking go. Go to college or school or fucking GED cram classes or whatever. Big lot of learning you'll be missing out for five or six days, that'll totally ruin your ENTIRE COLLEGE CAREER. Seriously though, how many of you are actually going to be missing enough course material to fuck you completely? Have someone take notes for you and slip 'em a twenty for their troubles while you're in Seattle.

I feel like an inconvenience because I'm demanding certain games be there, and you people have the fucking audacity to bemand a change of the city where it's located and the dates? You all should be fucking ashamed of yourselves.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    It's called feedback, D. While some of it is annoying, it's good to hear so they can figure out what's best for everyone. :P Sure, some people will be angry about decisions, but feedback is a good thing.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    There was a discussion on the date selection rationale a bit ago that can be found here.

But the main points were:

1. Yes, we knew that some schools (especially those on the semester system) would conflict with the dates at PAX. But it was the earliest we could make it while still accommodating for point #3.

2. Holiday weekends are suicide for conventions because most families take off during those times... the destination generally decided by their parents.

3. So why'd we choose that date? Easy: Gencon (the weekend before), Wizard World (two weeks before), San Diego Comic-con (four weeks before). Why didn't we choose the "three weeks before?" Well, quite frankly we weren't ready. We were still prepping for everything a few days before the event.

Hopefully that gives you guys some insight as far as the planning- we do apologize to those that couldn't make it tho based on the dates.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    Legacy wrote:
    It's called feedback, D. While some of it is annoying, it's good to hear so they can figure out what's best for everyone. :P Sure, some people will be angry about decisions, but feedback is a good thing.
    See, I have zero problem with it being ANYTIME, especially since my job (freelance technician) and school (Rio Salado College general classes) can be put off and resumed at any time. If I wanna go diappear for a few days I can. If I wanna work my ass off 14 hours a day 7 days a week I can. It's the ultimate in flexible. If I were an asshole, I'd tell people to not be so fucking rigid.

Hey people, don't be so fucking rigid.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    wow, congratulations on being better than everyone else. how does that feel?

futility on
  • Options
    AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    it feels pretty damn go-

Oh, you were talking to him. Right, carry on, then.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    Andwarf wrote:
    it feels pretty damn go-

Oh, you were talking to him. Right, carry on, then.
    and people wonder why i want to hang out with the Canadians at PAX05

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Damn canadians!! I got that cold from one! Them and their Mooses!!

I for one am going to be there... unless I'm dead, that would hinder me a bit.

Shade on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    There's a LONG list of songs that has to be on the machine for the D to be pleased. I can totally overlook a lack of Rislim, but without Starmine, I feel..., Last Message, Buffalo, Burning Heat, etc. etc. etc. I won't be a very happy camper.
    Excellent point; Starmine's inclusion on Ultramix 2 is one of the things I'm getting an Xbox for. :P

If I wind up going this year, maybe you can give me a lesson in how to not suck at IIDX.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    3. So why'd we choose that date? Easy: Gencon (the weekend before), Wizard World (two weeks before), San Diego Comic-con (four weeks before). Why didn't we choose the "three weeks before?" Well, quite frankly we weren't ready. We were still prepping for everything a few days before the event.

Hopefully that gives you guys some insight as far as the planning- we do apologize to those that couldn't make it tho based on the dates.

I totally understand why you guys had it when you did last time as for not being ready but with the coming PAX this next year is there any other reason why you couldn't have it that week after Comic-Con since you obviously have a lot more time to plan and setup the event.

I will still be attending like I did last year but it just seems to me that having it on that empty weekend after Comic-Con would allow more people to attend especially when you have more time to plan the event this year.

SoulFury on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    Excellent point; Starmine's inclusion on Ultramix 2 is one of the things I'm getting an Xbox for. :P

If I wind up going this year, maybe you can give me a lesson in how to not suck at IIDX.
    First tip: USE BOTH HANDS.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    SoulFury wrote:

I totally understand why you guys had it when you did last time as for not being ready but with the coming PAX this next year is there any other reason why you couldn't have it that week after Comic-Con since you obviously have a lot more time to plan and setup the event.

I will still be attending like I did last year but it just seems to me that having it on that empty weekend after Comic-Con would allow more people to attend especially when you have more time to plan the event this year.
    :^:

Grath on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    i think a lot of people would be too burnt out by that.

futility on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2004
    futility wrote:

Since I'm planning to go to both, I know I would be.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    Moriveth wrote:
    futility wrote:

Since I'm planning to go to both, I know I would be.

Yeah.

If PAX was right after Comic Con last year, I wouldn't have been able to go to one of them because I used the time inbetween the two to get more money for PAX.

And after going to them both and having massive amounts of fun, I couldn't imagine missing them both. :P But I don't think I'm going to ComicCon this year, since I've moved. But you never know. If I get this job and keep it, I should have a weeks paid vacation by then...

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    Once we've done this a few more years, we'll have the clout and size to go head-to-head with another con, but for now, yeah, the 26th-28th of August. Pricing info and registration coming soon...

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    What about the beatmania IIDX machine? The Guitar Freaks/Drummania machines? More DDR? ANYTHING?

*spaz*

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    the machines really depend on local availability - it's really goddamn hard to move those things.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    If you need some hired muscle to move those things for the expo, I'll show up a few days early. I've had to move them before, and there's a bit of a trick to it that makes it a whole shitload easier.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Really? What is that trick?

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2004
    QuizMaster wrote:
    Really? What is that trick?
    1. Stabilise speaker setup
    2. Put protective drapings (blankets, comforters, etc.) over screen and inputs
    3. Rent a forklift
    4. Forklift the fuckin' thing

Red Machine D on