As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY] I Wanna Be The Guy! BONUS SUMMARY VIDEO! (NSF56K)

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Yes, it's an older freeware game that has been discussed a couple of times before, but the newest thread discussing it had only a couple of babies (read: sane people) who couldn't handle the difficulty and it ended shortly thereafter.

For the sake of those who may not have heard of it...

I Wanna Be The Guy!: The Movie: The Game is a freeware platformer designed in Multimedia Fusion 2 by Kayin, a sadistic man who revels in your constant defeat. You play as "The Kid", a 15-year-old who leaves Home on an epic quest to become "The Guy".

You will die in this game. Many times. Not only do you die from one hit, almost everything is trying to kill you, from spikes to giant cherries to the freaking moon. The game is designed to stack the odds against you and be completely unfair to the point of defying logic, mostly as an homage to the masochistic 8-bit games of yore. If you're willing to suffer through the expletive-inducing traps, you're treated to quite the experience. The bosses are worth talking about in and of themselves:

*WARNING, SPOILERS*
wannabetheguy.jpg

A cross between Kraid and Zangief,

300_220731.jpg

A giant fire-breathing Mike Tyson,

CC6934FD99639600995C79.jpg

and Mecha-Birdo.

If you're still undecided if this game is for you,

this is a video review done by No BS Reviews. The kid is kind of annoying, but you get the general idea of the difficulty and atmosphere of the game without spoiling a whole lot of stuff.

Get the game here.

So, shall we discuss?

EDIT:

I decided to do a Let's Play of this. All videos will show up in the OP. I wasn't familiar with the software I used for recording until the second part, so bear with it. It gets much more interesting (what with swearing) and funny once that segment starts.

Part 1: Wherein Mike Tyson is defeated

Part 2: Wherein the swearing begins and Mecha-Birdo gets trashed

Part 3: Wherein the swearing continues and Dracula kills me with a wine glass

Part 4: Wherein Tetris is vanquished at last and Kraidgief suffers a fatal glitch

Part 5: Wherein Mother Brain is a lot tougher than I remembered

Part 6: Wherein Bowser, Wart and Wiley all fit into the same vehicle

Part 7: Wherein the Devil is a Dragon and the Dragon is a Devil

Part 8: Wherein I find a short-term unwilling proxy and The Guy is finally defeated

Part 9: I Wanna Be The Bonus Video!

joshofalltrades on

• HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy shit is this game tough. But thats what makes it fun! I actually managed to finish this awhile ago...on easy

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haha, I finished it last night on Hard and I'm starting a Very Hard playthrough tonight after work. I was curious to see if any of the Penny Arcaders had managed it.

Also, "Medium" is the easiest this game gets. Easier difficulties are given save points at shorter intervals. Medium difficulty gives "The Kid" a cute pink bow and the save points call you a wuss. I couldn't handle the shame and had to beat it on Hard for my first time.

I forgot to add a link to the game in the OP. It is there now.

joshofalltrades on
    edited August 2008
    Haha, I finished it last night on Hard and I'm starting a Very Hard playthrough tonight after work. I was curious to see if any of the Penny Arcaders had managed it.

Also, "Medium" is the easiest this game gets. Easier difficulties are given save points at shorter intervals. Medium difficulty gives "The Kid" a cute pink bow and the save points call you a wuss. I couldn't handle the shame and had to beat it on Hard for my first time.

I forgot to add a link to the game in the OP. It is there now.

Yeah theres a save point on most screens compared to one every 2 or 3. It makes some bits much much tolerable.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • SilvanariSilvanari Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    all i remember of this game is how brutal it was. i've never beaten it myself, but i watched a guy do the whole run through. he did that on very hard and then tried impossible. that shit was fucking crazy.

Silvanari on
    beholdcorn.png
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After I realized this game's shtick (a friend had me play it without telling me about it, for laffs) I really enjoyed how god damned hard it was. Apples falling UP from trees to kill you as you jump over them? Yes.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm almost tempted, but I don't think I hate myself enough to play this.

Inquisitor on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The funny thing is that the upwards falling cherries aren't even close to the most diabolical trap in the game. If you see a safe path, chances are you're in for a surprise somewhere.

I've never had so much fun swearing at my monitor.

Inquisitor, you should at least give it a shot. It's actually pretty therapeutic, in a punching pillows/destroying controllers instead of your loved one sort of way.

joshofalltrades on
  • SilvanariSilvanari Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    think of it this way, this game allows you to be all emo and cut yourself over and over again. the upside is that it won't leave unsightly cuts on your arms.

so you don't have to hate yourself, it just helps you to not hate your computer.

edit: you say tomatoe, i say toematoe

Silvanari on
    beholdcorn.png
    edited August 2008
    Also, I'm willing to provide help to anybody who gets stuck and needs it. There aren't very many points where you will need a bump in the right direction, but they are there. Most of the time you'll know the right direction but there will be 87 spikes o' doom in between you and it.

joshofalltrades on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I started a game on Hard, but quickly had to start a new game on easy, for the safety of any nearby breakable objects. I made it to Mike Tyson, and after at least 15 tries I still haven't gotten past him. I guess I just suck.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    edited August 2008
    Also, I'm willing to provide help to anybody who gets stuck and needs it. There aren't very many points where you will need a bump in the right direction, but they are there. Most of the time you'll know the right direction but there will be 87 spikes o' doom in between you and it.

A lot of people give up on the third screen after going top side, you know, those fucking clouds :P

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited August 2008
    Pyro,
    Don't give up, Tyson is difficult until you get his pattern down. For the first part, you can easily dodge the first two punches by running away. The third one you'll need to be up on a platform and double jumping to avoid. Shoot his mouth repeatedly once it opens and he'll fall.

The second and third parts are the same except that he moves towards you before punching. Just stay on the move and try to be near a platform when he punches, and make sure you shoot him when he opens his mouth or you'll have to do it again.

You'll really feel your platforming skills get better by the end of the game. I played a couple platformers once I'd won and couldn't believe how easy it felt. Did I mention that I died 1,363 times before I won? Some bosses (including Tyson) took more like 30-50 tries to beat.
    Helloween wrote: »
    A lot of people give up on the third screen after going top side, you know, those fucking clouds :P

That screen was actually fairly easy for me; I had more trouble with the one immediately following it. I saw a diagram on the official forums, but I could just tell you. The first cloud you jump onto is safe. Enjoy it. Jump as far as you can onto the second cloud, which will drop. You'll need to jump to the third cloud as fast as you can. Immediately after you jump to the third cloud, you'll need to FALL off of it (it goes up towards the spikes as soon as you land, meaning jumping will kill you) and immediately use your mid-air jump to get to the fourth cloud which will also go up towards more spikes. If you make it to this last cloud, run as far to the left as you can to avoid getting spiked. Once you've done this, there's a trap on the platform next to the save that you'll need to watch out for. It's a spike trap that falls freakin' quickly from above. The solution is to jump onto the edge of the platform and immediately jump off onto the left ledge before you get smooshed. Then save!

joshofalltrades on
    edited August 2008
    If anybody can recommend a good way to video capture this, I may turn it into a Let's Play. It will need to be seriously edited so that you see more than dying over and over. Maybe use the one good play-through and then a blooper reel or something.

joshofalltrades on
    edited August 2008
    If anybody can recommend a good way to video capture this, I may turn it into a Let's Play. It will need to be seriously edited so that you see more than dying over and over. Maybe use the one good play-through and then a blooper reel or something.

Hypercam isn't bad for recording a portion of the screen. Might be worth looking at.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited August 2008
    Does it get in-game sound? I'm not sure you'll want to hear my "commentary".

joshofalltrades on
    edited August 2008
    Does it get in-game sound? I'm not sure you'll want to hear my "commentary".

Yes. But half the fun will be you talking and/or swearing alot :P

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited August 2008
    I could certainly arrange that, I have a headset mic. I wonder if it's possible to get sound from in-game and mic recordings simultaneously? That way, I could make one "untainted" video and one of me messing up and swearing a lot. Or maybe it would just be a shitload of work.

joshofalltrades on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn, I cant even get passed the clouds. /sigh

Foolish Chaos on
    edited August 2008
    Are you playing with a controller? I won't deny that a controller greatly helps this game.

Also, there are some videos up on YouTube that might help if you're really having troubles.

Behold.

joshofalltrades on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Camtasia would be good for that I think. You can set it to record your mic audio, and then you could also get game audio with the mic (maybe) if you turn the game sound on loud enough.

I've actually watched two full let's plays of this. The one had the guy playing pretty much blind with live commentary, he still edited a lot of deaths out but I found it to be pretty funny, at least since I hadn't seen the game yet at that point. The other one is on SA and it's post commentary with some guests and heavily edited. I didn't like that one as much because it was more seriousish and less funny, but I guess if you hadn't seen the game before it might have been more entertaining.

That said, I think this is one game that calls for live commentary, swearing and getting pissed off intact.

Schide on
  • mooseyhootingtonmooseyhootington Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    If you guys like this game, you should try Cat Mario. It's a very challenging clone of the Super Mario series.

You can get it here.

mooseyhootington on
    edited August 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    That said, I think this is one game that calls for live commentary, swearing and getting pissed off intact.

Got it. I guess I could set up a condenser mic that would get the entire room, game sound and all, but it'd be like hearing it in an auditorium.

I fully intend to start this once I get home. I hope my mom isn't a Penny Arcade forum-goer (kidding, I'm 26 and married).

I'm not sure this would be a good time to do a Very Hard playthrough. I'm not even sure that I'm good enough for that.

joshofalltrades on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tyson still owns me. I can get him down twice, but on the third time, I dodge his first punch, start running to the other side, but can't get far enough away, and he kills me with the second punch. I've seen videos, and I'm copying them exactly, but I just can't get far enough away on that second punch.

pyromaniac221 on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You get to fight Dracula later on. Complete with infamous "What is a man?" dialogue.

Dac Vin on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you guys like this game, you should try Cat Mario. It's a very challenging clone of the Super Mario series.

You can get it here.

Cat Mario is awesome and it's a lot easier than I Wanna Be The Guy. Continue points are pretty frequent and once you actually figure out the correct way through the level there aren't any parts that take raw skill to get past. It's also pretty funny. If I Wanna Be the Guy is kicking your ass too hard you might want to try this out.

Food on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I might play this myself for kicks but I watched a Let's Play of the whole thing(UltraJMan's), which is almost better just getting to see somebody's reaction to everything, but all the surprises are spoiled for me. There are some ridiculously funny deaths in this game.

Zek on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd consider purchasing this if the copied sprites were replaced with original art and it was released on a console. It controls really well, even with the keyboard, but I think it would be even better with full, native controller support.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    edited August 2008
    There already is full, native controller support. Go to the file menu and controls, switch all the X's to Joystick 1. My 360 controller works great with this.

joshofalltrades on
    edited August 2008
    Here's the first part of my Let's Play.

I will get better at mixing my voice with the game audio as I get more practice. You will hear me breathing sometimes due to the proximity of the mic. I'm sorry. I've never done a Let's Play before.

Also, I know I say to expect swearing, but there's only one swear in this part. The beginning of the game is pretty easy, but don't worry if you want expletives. They will come soon enough.

Hope this amuses you slightly. The game gets better as it goes.

Part 1

EDIT: Part 2 is coming up shortly. It features a much better audio mix, some creative editing, and a lot more swearing.

joshofalltrades on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    You get to fight Dracula later on. Complete with infamous "What is a man?" dialogue that you have to sit through every fucking time you attempt him.
    I could've done without that, personally.

forty on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I started a game on Hard, but quickly had to start a new game on easy, for the safety of any nearby breakable objects. I made it to Mike Tyson, and after at least 15 tries I still haven't gotten past him. I guess I just suck.

I quit at the grave yard. I could not
    squeeze past the last set of fast moving spikes. I really through it was fun till then.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    edited August 2008
    FUCK YES. TYSON DOWN! And now I'm stuck on the part with the boulder. Oh well, I guess I'll get it eventually.

pyromaniac221 on
    edited August 2008
    Part 2 is now up. Prepare for swear.

Much funnier.

Please let me know if you guys are watching these so I know if I should keep making them.

joshofalltrades on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That no bullshit reviews kid isn't even old enough to had snes.

august on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There already is full, native controller support. Go to the file menu and controls, switch all the X's to Joystick 1. My 360 controller works great with this.

Oh, cool. Last time I played it, it didn't respond all that well with jumping. I'll give it a shot again.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    edited August 2008
    OK, I'm going to update the OP with the videos from now on thanks to a suggestion by Halloween.

Again, please let me know if I should keep making these or stop. I don't want to waste my time or yours.

joshofalltrades on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm watching/going to be watching these. I just don't usually watch stuff when it's first posted and even then I've seen 2 different LPs of this game. But I did watch your first video, and you did a pretty good job of explaining how the screens work. Maybe a little more talking during the Tyson fight could have helped though.

Schide on
    edited August 2008
    I'm not used to talking and playing at the same time, but I get better at it during the second part. Also I get much more vulgar, but it's not quite as bad as it will get before I'm done...

joshofalltrades on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like the videos so far. In the second one the game volume is too loud and it's hard to hear what you're saying, but other wise so far so good.

Food on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Great LPs John. I know there are others like me that want to see the game, but don't want to go through the hair-pulling ourselves and this is a great way to do it! Please, keep the awesome coming!

maraxus94 on