As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: CEs Betaning NOW on the A server! Or some of us are.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just nabbed an early access thing from target today. Also grabbed an extra GTA 4 ps3 pre-order bonus poster/sticker thing they had sitting around. Rang up for 0 dollars.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    Open Beta - This phase follows the Preview Weekend. For some reason, Mythic decided to use the term in a new way. Yes, Mythic is allowed to invent new definitions for commonly used terms. This phase is not actually open. It is merely a phase of beta where the NDA doesn't exist and tons of people are invited to test for a week or so. Other games call this the "stress test."

Mythic isn't using the term in a new way. This is pretty standard MMO practice now. The only difference is that EA Mythic gave out the "open" beta keys to pre-orders instead of going through Fileplanet.
    Head Start - This is a couple of days right before launch where CE and SE Pre-orders can play to get a leg-up on the crowds coming in at retail launch (Sept 18th). The CE Pre-orders get at least one more day than the SE's.

I still don't get why people make such a big deal out of the head start. You got a few days of early leveling? Grats on outleveling scenario brackets and most of the RvR action. Enjoy your PvE, chickening, or playing alts while waiting for the pack to catch up.

grrarg on
    edited August 2008
    My open beta code doesn't even work as a valid code, so whatever. I'll wait.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited August 2008
    They aren't accepting those codes until sometime tomorrow.

grrarg on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My open beta code doesn't even work as a valid code, so whatever. I'll wait.

Assuming you're trying to enter it here. No shit.

It's not the 15th yet... I guess. :)

admanb on
    edited August 2008
    I spent $1.08 for this Mythic! I demand my monies worth!

Seriously though, I'm more interested in early access, so I can nab some of my Greek mythology/historical names that I like for my chaos alts.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    grrarg wrote: »
    Head Start - This is a couple of days right before launch where CE and SE Pre-orders can play to get a leg-up on the crowds coming in at retail launch (Sept 18th). The CE Pre-orders get at least one more day than the SE's.

I still don't get why people make such a big deal out of the head start. You got a few days of early leveling? Grats on outleveling scenario brackets and most of the RvR action. Enjoy your PvE, chickening, or playing alts while waiting for the pack to catch up.
    Yeah, I don't really see the point of it much either. All the appeal of the game to me is all the things you need large groups of people for, so playing before the majority of the game population gets in doesn't make much sense to me.

-SPI- on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow...just amazing, this game is going to decimate WoW's MMO subs in the US and EU I think, I know what after all the time I put into WoW, this game just owned it and thats even after it crashed in the middle of a RVR fight.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I spent $1.08 for this Mythic! I demand my monies worth!

Seriously though, I'm more interested in early access, so I can nab some of my Greek mythology/historical names that I like for my chaos alts.

You got a fucking $5 off coupon!

Lucky Cynic on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    admanb wrote: »
    Now, if you have an Open Beta code, you enter that into the Beta Centre. This just puts an association on your account. Tomorrow, Mythic will open a new account area for you to enter codes.. such as this code again.

Just one "correction"-- I'm pretty sure the account area that the OB keys are meant to be entered is this one.

Hmmm... if I don't post this I'll have a better chance of being in the first 50,000... damn my uncontrollable urge to share information.

Not quite, as we've all entered the OB code into our beta centers in order to have that association on our applications. Tomorrow, the new center will open up for you to enter the code again in order to get the open beta/PW reservation.

Much of the confusion comes from the fact that the OB code is used twice. That's what I meant by "this code again"

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited August 2008
    Warhammer Herald
    The Herald wrote:
    James Nichols | Customer Service | 08/15/2008 @ 00:46:56 EST
    Hi all,

I've been floating around the boards this evening and I see there's a lot of misconception about what's happening today (Friday the 15th) and some additional concerns.

Firstly let me just get it out of the way:

Today is not the start of Open Beta nor Preview Weekend. You will have advanced notice to these dates and as of yet we have not announced them. The only thing occurring today is that later on we will be activating all Pre-Order (CE & SE) Open Beta and Head Start codes (hold onto all of your codes though!) This is the first step in preparations towards hosting a live environment and the pre-launch events ahead.

Concerning Preview Weekend:

All CE testers who have applied a code will be invited to preview weekend, regardless of computer specs or association. Please realize that this means there is no assurance that everyone invited can in fact run the game. In addition to CE all current closed beta participants will be participating in Preview Weekend and as an added bonus up to the first 50 thousand SE Open-Beta accounts registered on the Mythic Account Center will also be invited to join us for this stress test extravaganza!

Concerning CE Items and the Head Start:

The answer will be obvious once you see it in action, but for now let me try to explain. Players will be able to create and play their head start characters, however, during the headstart they will not have access to the in game bonuses provided with the collectors edition. Once a CE product code is associated with their account they will be able to use them post launch, this includes everything from the exclusive faces to the cloaks and everything included within the CE.

What is this new "Mythic Account Center" and is it different from the Beta Center?

The Beta Center and Mythic Account Center are separate tools. In preparation for live we are phasing out the Beta Center. The new Mythic Account Center (current Dark Age subscribers are already familiar with it) will serve as your portal to all your Mythic subscriptions. If you have not done so already you do not need to apply a code to your Beta Center account, all invitations will be handled via the Account Center.

I hope this has helped to answer some of your questions, have a great night and stay tuned for more info. Exciting times ahead, we'll do our best to keep you in the know!

So the part I bolded makes the head start seem even more useless to me. You can't use the exclusive faces until you get your physical copy of the CE.

Guess I'll make my shaman during the head start and save my sorc or witch elf until I get my CE and see the exclusive faces.

grrarg on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »

Yeah, I don't really see the point of it much either. All the appeal of the game to me is all the things you need large groups of people for, so playing before the majority of the game population gets in doesn't make much sense to me.

100,000 people isn't exactly a small population to be playing with.

Think, there are 60,000 CE customers and then who knows how many SE customers in the head start. Have you ever fucking played an MMO at launch, normally?

It's a shit show. A haphazard shit show.

Figgy on
    edited August 2008

So the part I bolded makes the head start seem even more useless to me. You can't use the exclusive faces until you get your physical copy of the CE.

Guess I'll make my shaman during the head start and save my sorc or witch elf until I get my CE and see the exclusive faces.

I suspected that would happen all along, since they want to make the CE items CE only, and the only way to do that is attach them to the CE CD Key.. which you don't get until you get your box.

Mind you, there is pretty much one unique face per race. If every CE customers uses that face, how unique is it going to be? :P

Figgy on
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I suspected that would happen all along, since they want to make the CE items CE only, and the only way to do that is attach them to the CE CD Key.. which you don't get until you get your box.

Mind you, there is pretty much one unique face per race. If every CE customers uses that face, how unique is it going to be? :P

No one is ever unique in an MMO, but hey I get to wear something Joe Blow across the street can't ever have!

Also I'm sure there will be options on the 18th and beyond for those who got in the Head Start to have a "make over" option for their headstart avatars.
    Concerning CE Items and the Head Start EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION:

Any characters created during the head start will have access to the exclusive faces. However, they cannot change their face until the CE Product Key is entered.

The answer will be obvious once you see it in action, but for now let me try to explain. Players will be able to create and play their head start characters, however, during the headstart they will not have access to the in game bonuses provided with the collectors edition. Once a CE product code is associated with their account they will be able to use them post launch, this includes everything from the exclusive faces to the cloaks and everything included within the CE even on characters made during the head start.

Have faith.

Tyberius on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Herald wrote:
    Today is not the start of Open Beta nor Preview Weekend. You will have advanced notice to these dates and as of yet we have not announced them. The only thing occurring today is that later on we will be activating all Pre-Order (CE & SE) Open Beta and Head Start codes (hold onto all of your codes though!) This is the first step in preparations towards hosting a live environment and the pre-launch events ahead.

Bastard son of a bastard. What does he mean by that? I swear game developers must hate sleep.

I'm gonna be up until 3 or 4AM anyways... maybe I should set an alarm for 7 before I go to bed... then every hour after that...

Goddammit.

admanb on
    edited August 2008
    admanb wrote: »
    The Herald wrote:

Bastard son of a bastard. What does he mean by that? I swear game developers must hate sleep.

I'm gonna be up until 3 or 4AM anyways... maybe I should set an alarm for 7 before I go to bed... then every hour after that...

Goddammit.

Go to bed.
    James wrote:
    Hey guys,

2 things. Account center will not be opening until normal business hours. Second, Open Beta is not starting this weekend.

Thanks guys!

They're in EST.

Figgy on
    edited August 2008
    Tyberius wrote: »

Have faith.

Yeah, James basically just spelled it out over a series of posts.. each getting more and more specific:

You will create a regular character during the headstart, but you will have an option to change your face to the unique one once your enter your CE codes.

Figgy on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woo, so I got my beta key and I've submitted it. How long have most of you guys had to wait after receiving an invite? (Especially if you're in Australia)

The other one I had is how large is the client? I may need to ration my offpeak bandwidth to get it downloaded.

Edit: I can't read posts apparently. I'd still like to know how large it is though.

Edit 2: <3

Kelor on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    1:Cant
    0:Tell
    --
    G:You
    B:That

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Woo, so I got my beta key and I've submitted it. How long have most of you guys had to wait after receiving an invite? (Especially if you're in Australia)

The other one I had is how large is the client? I may need to ration my offpeak bandwidth to get it downloaded.

Edit: I can't read posts apparently. I'd still like to know how large it is though.

Edit 2: <3

It's about 9 gigs, and you can only get it via torrent, the old method of patching the entire game off mythic was broken by them.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Soooooo many people were mis-interpreting that the Open Beta was starting this weekend. James should have posted that just to keep people from going crazy this week. But I think Mythic enjoys making people crazy :) .

Preview Weekend could possibly be next weekend (23rd). If not then, then it basically has to be the 30th.

Hopefully Mythic will stop being crazy about the Industry thing so I can actually get in :p .

Selner on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's a good thing that WAR has LOTS of good will right now or people would be coming down on them for all this ala AoC.

BUT haven played the game I can say if you liked WoW then you should enjoy this, especially it's PVP content.

Cade on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Have faith.

Yeah, James basically just spelled it out over a series of posts.. each getting more and more specific:

You will create a regular character during the headstart, but you will have an option to change your face to the unique one once your enter your CE codes.

Hey Figgy, you're pretty sure of that from his posts? I haven't seen the conversation in question.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited August 2008
    This thread jumped like 10 pages yesterday, and looking back through I didn't see anything about this.
    MTV in Europe will be running short teaser spots for the new WAR cinematic all week and, on the 19th of August they are going to reveal a longer snippet to audiences across Europe. Tune in to MTV on Tuesday for an exclusive first look at the exciting new cinematic that will be officially unveiled at the Leipzig Games Convention.
    The teasers will be shown from the 15th of August at the times shown below and will also be repeated at intervals throughout these days – all times are local times and will be shown on MTV UK as well as in Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark.
    Friday 15th August
    12:30 - 15:10 - 16:10 - 17:30 - 21:30 - 23:30
    Saturday 16th August
    13:30 - 14:50 - 18:10 - 19:10 - 22:30
    Sunday 17th August
    12:10 - 13:10 - 15:10 - 17:30 - 20:10 - 23:10
    Monday 18th August
    13:50 - 17:10 - 18:50 - 19:50 - 22:30
    Tuesday 19th August
    14:30 - 16:30 - 18:30 - 19:30 - 22:50

So more teasers from the Cinematic Trailer are Incoming!

First taste:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/search/warhammer/video/x6fyfy_war-teaser-cinematique-2_videogames

The Witch Elf blowing a kiss to the High Elf is just classic ;) .

/faint

Selner on
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Have faith.

Hey Figgy, you're pretty sure of that from his posts? I haven't seen the conversation in question.

It's pretty straight forward from the posts on the Herald.

Edit: Only fucking WAR could get away with those types of "Teasers", goddamn blue ballin' over here.

Tyberius on
    edited August 2008
    This is from James over on WHA about the CE faces:
    So you'll create a character with the standard create a character options. Then once you've entered your CE Product Code you will have the option of changing your face to the CE one for your race. Like I said, it will make more sense once you see it

And the new Trailer looks to be awesome beyond belief. It looks like Blur has outdone themselves again. I predict tears of joy.

I hope the screen it is playing on at Liepzig is huge and high in the air. Then I want someone with a camera to film people watching it.
    I can see lot of jaws on the floor.

Selner on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have so many things to say about this game now that I've been in the beta for 1 short evening.

Someone said earlier in the thread that they typically don't need to reinstall MMOs going from beta -> gold launch. That's true, but I would give it a try anyways, as most MMOs these days don't send out high-res texture files with the beta, so it would probably be worth reinstalling for that alone, if your computer can handle it that is.

I do wish the CE beta people had a forum to talk about things though. That's just poor foresight in my eyes.

Dissociater on
    edited August 2008
    I do wish the CE beta people had a forum to talk about things though. That's just poor foresight in my eyes.

If the NDA was going to be up much longer I would agree. But it looks like the CE folks will be without Comms for what, maybe a week? Maybe not even 7 days.

It wouldn't really be worth Mythic's time/money to put up a forum for 7 days.

They just need to work out the last couple kinks, and take the NDA down. Then it won't matter any more.

Selner on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WTF, are the beta applications not up yet or what? I have to go to school in 10 minutes for 7 hours and would like to get it in now. Only when I try to make a master account it just tells me *This cannot be used yet. And a code is required to make a master account. lolwut?

Foolish Chaos on
    edited August 2008
    The Account Server just went belly up, or they pulled the plug, on of the two. As it is now Service Unavailable.

I imagine people were F5ing a little too much and constantly hitting the site, they probably killed the external access so they wouldn't melt the server or something.

And I'll put it this way, if you are a CE preorder, just wait til tomorrow.
    Only the SE people need to get in quickly, if they want one of the 50k slots for Preview Weekend.

Selner on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Put in your codes time! woooo

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • rtylershawrtylershaw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yep. Looks like they took the server down for maintenance. As of now it's accepting pre-order codes.

rtylershaw on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Grah... I tried to put in my code this morning just before leaving for work, and it said not yeeet.

Now I'm at work and can't put in my code for many hours until I get home tonight. Sadness. :(

Toxic Pickle on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I finally got into the beta. Haven't gotten a chance to play yet. Where do I need to go to join up with you fine servants of destruction?

How i mien 4 WAR?

Bama on
  • VisibleManVisibleMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just activated my master account and put in both of my codes. People on WHA are reporting the same thing.

Gogogogogogogo.

VisibleMan on
  • DogthulhuDogthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Any SEs out there that want to try for the first 50k go now. I just created an account and looks to be open.

Edit: Beat'd

Dogthulhu on
    MH3 - Thulhu
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I'm in. All SEs gogogo.

Kelor on
    edited August 2008
    50k sounds like a big number, but considering teh number of folks on WHA and other places I'm curious how fast they fill that up.

Myself, I'm got a CE so I don't care :p . I'll just enter the codes when I get home.

Double EDIT: Big liar on WHA :p
    We'll have information on when Open Beta starts, Preview Weekend, and more coming next week.

On the Herald.
    So yeah, might not even be able to download today.

Selner on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bleargh WHA people in my betas.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Account Center - Now Open
    James Nichols | General News | 08/15/2008 @ 10:51:50 EST
    WAAAGH!!!

Welcome to the Mythic Account Center here you will be able to enter your Open Beta and Head Start keys and eventually any other codes supported by our products.

This site is where you'll manage all of your accounts and subscription details so we encourage you to get familiar with it.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
This discussion has been closed.