As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USB printer fouling removable USB drives.

wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
Hey,

I bought a new Epson printer after having a junky Lexmark for 8 years, problem is that the Epson is USB connected whereas the Lexmark had the old printer cable. I have alot of free USB 2.0 ports on my Dell, but when the new printer is plugged in, the computer won't recognize any external HDD's or flash drives inserted afterwards. The USB mouse and keyboard work fine, but the removable drives do not. I figured it might have been a Drive letter designation problem as the Epson has a card reader built in, but after switching the letter, it is still an issue.

So anytime I have to transfer files to my memory stick, or External HDD I have to unplug the usb from my printer first. Has anybody had this problem or know of any solutions I should try?

stripessig.jpg
WBblunt.gif
wakeboarderblunt on

• Options
    mrbernzmrbernz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Are the external drives being recognized by the computer in device manager or computer management?

mrbernz on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    when the printer isn't plugged in, then insert the thumbdrive or HDD, the drives are recognized normally in device manager and disk management as removable storage devices, and all drivers are up to date.
    When the printer is plugged in, and I insert a USB drive, I get a error along the lines of "A USB drive has malfunctioned, please re-insert the device. If device continues to malfucntion please replace" or "This USB drive is not recognized"

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • Options
    mrbernzmrbernz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have heard the completely removing power to computer for 30 or so seconds can remedy some USB problems. Another thing you might try is removing your USB drivers from device manager and restarting and/or redownloading the drivers for your specific motherboard.

mrbernz on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's possible that your motherboard can't deliver enough power to the USB ports for all your devices. If you have a self-powered USB hub (meaning one with its own power supply) try using that.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I strongly second the post above this.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll try the one that came with rock band, and see if that works. Those are still USB 2.0 hubs right?
    I've tried the remove from powersource trick to reset the motherboard, to no success.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If your printer has a card reader built in, the external drives are getting the same letter. Go into the compuer management, drives section, and change the drive letter and path of the printer's card reader to something else and the problem will go away.

stigweard on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    stigweard wrote: »
    If your printer has a card reader built in, the external drives are getting the same letter. Go into the compuer management, drives section, and change the drive letter and path of the printer's card reader to something else and the problem will go away.
    I figured it might have been a Drive letter designation problem as the Epson has a card reader built in, but after switching the letter, it is still an issue.

Dírhael on