As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Okami gets Greatest Hits treatment: You now have NO excuse. [NSF56K]

• Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No one's paying for the new cover, so it doesn't hurt to get one, no?

I think some of those alternatives looked better than the original.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    SimbelmyneSimbelmyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Out of curiosity, why would you guys order one? Does the IGN watermark really bother you?

It didn't bother me, I actually found it rather funny. The watermark, not to mention the shameful removal of Clover in the credits, were some rather large blunders you must admit.

As far as why I ordered a replacement cover, I preferred the art over the original Wii cover. I don't expect to ever receive one, but if I do I will probably frame it and add it to my other posters, collectibles etc in my gaming area.

Simbelmyne on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Simbelmyne wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why would you guys order one? Does the IGN watermark really bother you?

It didn't bother me, I actually found it rather funny. The watermark, not to mention the shameful removal of Clover in the credits, were some rather large blunders you must admit.

As far as why I ordered a replacement cover, I preferred the art over the original Wii cover. I don't expect to ever receive one, but if I do I will probably frame it and add it to my other posters, collectibles etc in my gaming area.

I thought they couldn't have clover in the credits because of legal issues?

GimeC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    GimeC wrote: »

I thought they couldn't have clover in the credits because of legal issues?

They said they couldn't include it because they didn't have the right to display the Clover logo. While that may very well be true it was still quite a negative act due to the removal of the content that is featured during the the game's credits.

Simbelmyne on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    On the subject of the replacement covers it appears that they have released the nonwatermarked original cover and the two alternates in high quality .pdf form, suitable for downloading and printing.

The links can be found here.

Simbelmyne on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Strifer wrote: »
    seems like everyone here played it, I have a hard time believing so few copies were sold.

Forums =/ Market.

Yep, we seem to have better taste. Perhaps because the people who post here, read Kotaku et cetera consider themselves Gamers - we're like those stuffed shirts on Iron Chef who taste a dish and can tell you weird shit about it we never would have thought to consider. We keep up on this stuff, give it thought, and try to celebrate the underappreciated when it comes around (mention God Hand in a thread title and see what happens).
    On the subject of the replacement covers it appears that they have released the nonwatermarked original cover and the two alternates in high quality .pdf form, suitable for downloading and printing.

The links can be found here.

That's... nice, but it's hardly a nice shiny cover on glossy paper (like they promised) - unless you keep high-end printer gear in a back room with your laser jet.

Still, I printed out covers for Resident Evil 4 and to replace that ugly NA art on Ico - and you gotta' look pretty damn close to tell they ain't originals. Where's that site... here we go. thecoverproject.net

Handy!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    [That's... nice, but it's hardly a nice shiny cover on glossy paper (like they promised) - unless you keep high-end printer gear in a back room with your laser jet.

Very true, however it was still a nice gesture on their part so I thought I'd share the link.

I wonder if they still intend to send out the covers after providing those images though.

Simbelmyne on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This...this is why I really hate Wii ports sometimes, and that's because waggle is sometimes unnecessary. I just lost a boss fight. Why? Because even though I was waggling like crazy, the wolf was still doing one hit at a time, waiting about five seconds in between attacks. With buttons? This problem is non-existent. The combat was probably the only part of the PS2 version I didn't actually have a problem with.

Gah, just really, fuck the Wii sometimes. I hope that Motion Plus thing fixes stuff like this. Twilight Princess had the same damn problem, and that's why I opted for the GC version.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This thread made me boot it up again and run around in it just enjoying it instead of trying to get something from it.
    Once I got out of the goals feel and just enjoyed running around being a wolf with a god brush I found it to be an extremely relaxing and stress relieving game, a direct contrast to the kinds of games I like, such as medicing in tf2, playing godhand on die, stuff like that.
    Sure the combat is easy but, I can play godhand if I want combat.
    I ended up running around obsessively turning every dead tree to life just because it looks so nice to turn around and see all the life you've made. Makes you feel so happy.

It's now my go to game when I want to play something but am too tired to play a game that makes me push myself.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This...this is why I really hate Wii ports sometimes, and that's because waggle is sometimes unnecessary. I just lost a boss fight. Why? Because even though I was waggling like crazy, the wolf was still doing one hit at a time, waiting about five seconds in between attacks. With buttons? This problem is non-existent. The combat was probably the only part of the PS2 version I didn't actually have a problem with.

Gah, just really, fuck the Wii sometimes. I hope that Motion Plus thing fixes stuff like this. Twilight Princess had the same damn problem, and that's why I opted for the GC version.

you might have been doing it wrong?

I've never even been hit in a boss fight and I just killed the Orochi

(well, waka hit me once, but he's a dirty cheater)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Once I got out of the goals feel and just enjoyed running around being a wolf with a god brush I found it to be an extremely relaxing and stress relieving game, a direct contrast to the kinds of games I like, such as medicing in tf2, playing godhand on die, stuff like that.
    Sure the combat is easy but, I can play godhand if I want combat.
    I ended up running around obsessively turning every dead tree to life just because it looks so nice to turn around and see all the life you've made. Makes you feel so happy.

It's now my go to game when I want to play something but am too tired to play a game that makes me push myself.

Yep. Lately I've been playin' it on the days I try to quit smoking. Days without a cigarette so far : zero. But one of these days...

Still, it's infinitely better than reading a book and obsessing over how much I want a smoke, or watching TV and going nuts for one. At least Okami lets me forget about it for a while, without stressing me out so I need one lolz. Better this than Bionic Commando or Siren.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

Doing it wrong?

It's waggle. Waggling side to side makes him attack.

How could anyone do it wrong? The game just wasn't responding. It was acting like there was a cooldown period or something between attacks.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Doing it wrong?

It's waggle. Waggling side to side makes him attack.

How could anyone do it wrong? The game just wasn't responding. It was acting like there was a cooldown period or something between attacks.

dunno .... I've never had anything of the sort happen to me

/shrug

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My game just came. The waggle issue happens to me too. In general it is a very pretty game, but I haven't gotten sucked in yet. I'm so spoiled by games that save your progress regularly or let you save whenever you want such that now, when save points are somewhat spread out in a game, I get frustrated at being forced to keep playing until the next save point. I think this just means I am an old man now.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    My game just came. The waggle issue happens to me too. In general it is a very pretty game, but I haven't gotten sucked in yet. I'm so spoiled by games that save your progress regularly or let you save whenever you want such that now, when save points are somewhat spread out in a game, I get frustrated at being forced to keep playing until the next save point. I think this just means I am an old man now.

you can save whenever you want in Okami

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I got Okami (PS2 in my PS3) earlier this summer, and it is a great game. The pacing is a little looooong, but the beauty and orginality more than make up for it.

Probably will go back and try to unlock some of the other options; thought that was pretty clever how
    you can choose your "costume" after beating it.
    Is that in the Wii version?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I got Okami (PS2 in my PS3) earlier this summer, and it is a great game. The pacing is a little looooong, but the beauty and orginality more than make up for it.

Probably will go back and try to unlock some of the other options; thought that was pretty clever how
    you can choose your "costume" after beating it.
    Is that in the Wii version?
    costume?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The game calls 'em "karmic transformers".
    More (karmically) than meets the eye!

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    aahhh

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

you can save whenever you want in Okami

How?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Head to one of the many origin mirrors placed conveniently throughout ancient Japan.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Head to one of the many origin mirrors placed conveniently throughout ancient Japan.

exactly .... you never have to run more then 60 seconds to find one

Xaquin on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really liked Okami but I thought it was a little bit too long. They could have cut it down to 80% of what it is and I wouldn't have gotten bored.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008

exactly .... you never have to run more then 60 seconds to find one

Oh, that's not whenever you want to me. That's what we like to call a save point. Not a save anywhere.

It just happens there's a lot of them, so its the same thing. You just had me confused. :)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Professional IdiotProfessional Idiot Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I liked Okami so much that I joined to post in this thread: Okami is friggin' awesome. I definitely want a sequel. Like, right now. Goddamnit, Capcom. Goddamnit it all to hell.

The opening poster should maybe add to the list that you get computer generated voices; no shitty-ass voice acting. That is a HUGE plus for a Japanese game.

By the way,
    Does anyone have more than 3 karmic transformers? I only have the little dog, puffy dog, and plain wolf.

Professional Idiot on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The opening poster should maybe add to the list that you get computer generated voices; no shitty-ass voice acting. That is a HUGE plus for a Japanese game.

This is the absolute worst "feature" in the whole fucking game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Well (and I'm sure this will shock you!) I kinda' like it.
    (1) I don't think I woulda' wanted voice actors unless they were Japanese with subs
    (2) not many games like this use voice actors, and I feel it's better than text with no sound at all
    (3) the gobbledy sounds convey character attributes - Issun's high-pitched protestations, a beautiful woman's gentle light tones, Susano's deep hearty sound. It's true these are easily inferred by our imagination, but I like it, and it's particularly effective with one-syllable sounds like surprise.

But I do agree the OP ain't really the place for it. To me it's neither a selling feature like artwork, nor a detriment like the game's lack of difficulty.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, Professional Idiot: There are 9 Karmic Transformers, plus the Karmic Returner that switches you back to Ammy's standard form. If anyone's curious about what exactly the transformers do, here's the deal:
    No, it doesn't allow you to run around in Ammy's "true" form (a beautiful woman, radiant as the Sun), it's just variations on a four-legged canine. It's easiest to say you get to have the form of a bunch of the Canine Warriors, plus (my personal favorite) a plain white wolf - Ammy without all her godlike red tats and cloudy flourishes. There's also the 'realistic' skin, left over from before they decided to go with the wood-block art style - though frankly it's pretty ugly.

P.S. Welcome to Penny Arcade! You'll find us much better-behaved than the average internet message board on vidya games. Though admittedly, that's not saying much.

Chance on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    On a side note is there any way to get actual Okami art, like to hang on a wall? The only alternative is to save a wallpaper and having a canvas printer printing one up for me. I would guess this is legit since Okamiart offers up wallpapers for free as downloading, which is an implicit authorization to create a copy. With no other terms of use I would guess its ok. This is what I was thinking of having printed up.
    okami_wp5_800.jpg

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pictures like that always make me sad. Because chances are, the next videogame image I'll see is gonna feature dark, grizzly, realistic environments with three different shades of brown and one tough, boring protagonist in the middle of it.

I want Okami 2...

Wingo on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Well (and I'm sure this will shock you!) I kinda' like it.
    (1) I don't think I woulda' wanted voice actors unless they were Japanese with subs
    (2) not many games like this use voice actors, and I feel it's better than text with no sound at all
    (3) the gobbledy sounds convey character attributes - Issun's high-pitched protestations, a beautiful woman's gentle light tones, Susano's deep hearty sound. It's true these are easily inferred by our imagination, but I like it, and it's particularly effective with one-syllable sounds like surprise.

But I do agree the OP ain't really the place for it. To me it's neither a selling feature like artwork, nor a detriment like the game's lack of difficulty.

The Japanese release DID have voice acting. That VO was chopped up and regurgitated as the mish-mash you hear in the North American release. Knowing that, I'm a little miffed. I'd much rather have the Japanese VO. It's a very Japanese game, after all.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    On a side note is there any way to get actual Okami art, like to hang on a wall? The only alternative is to save a wallpaper and having a canvas printer printing one up for me. I would guess this is legit since Okamiart offers up wallpapers for free as downloading, which is an implicit authorization to create a copy. With no other terms of use I would guess its ok. This is what I was thinking of having printed up.
    okami_wp5_800.jpg

Check out this thread. She's not adding to the queue at the moment, but intends to open it up again once she works through her list a bit more.

I had her paint this for me:
    bionicmonkeyfinishedcy9.jpg

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    The Japanese release DID have voice acting. That VO was chopped up and regurgitated as the mish-mash you hear in the North American release. Knowing that, I'm a little miffed. I'd much rather have the Japanese VO. It's a very Japanese game, after all.

Don't watch for more than 30 secs, spoilers That's not true at all. It did not have voice acting.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well damn. I'll have to ask my friend what the hell he was smoking when he told me that.

Renzo on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    He probably watched [vidurl=http://youtube.com/watch?v=xSfKmfJrla0]this[/vidurl] Japanese trailer. It's pretty much just a commercial.

Edit: Thank you, FyreWulff.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Put it behind spoilers, and it won't load until you click the spoiler button.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's okay Renzo. I still believe in you, noble Emissary of Truth and Game Facts.

Still - that woulda' been sweet.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wingo wrote: »
    Pictures like that always make me sad. Because chances are, the next videogame image I'll see is gonna feature dark, grizzly, realistic environments with three different shades of brown and one tough, boring protagonist in the middle of it.

I want more games with colour.

This is why I love tf2 so much. It's not just fun. It's happy.

I'm going to run around and make some trees bloom some more now I think. I approach this game in little chunks at a time. It's not that I don't enjoy it. It's that I rarely find games that are just pure happy and want to conserve the newness of the world in this one for a while.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    To those true bewiivers who have Okami on Nintendo's console and jumped through all necessary hoops to get their IGN-defiled cover art replaced, Kotaku has some good news. The Kotaku article points to this article on (what appears to be) Capcom's own site. First, here's a bootyful picture from said article:

amaterasu_27.jpg

Ain't that purdy? And here's the article's short version, truncated by me!

Any day now, those of you who properly filled out the form should be getting your new covers in the mail.

1. Everybody is getting two new coversheets. Each cover sheet features the cleaned cover art on one side, and the two different new designs on the other. [Three cover designs for everyone.]

2. [Capcom did not send out confirmation emails.] As long as you completely filled out the form, and live in the US or Canada, you're getting the covers. One mailing per household, so those of you who signed up multiple times are only getting one set.

3. What took so long? In a word, Ninjas.

4. [You can still get the new covers] but you'll have to use your color printer or find a Kinko's that will charge you about 50 cents. Hi Res versions of the new covers can still be found here.

Hahah. "Bewiivers". Oh Gabe, you crack me up. I love you.
    And puns.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's okay Renzo. I still believe in you, noble Emissary of Truth and Game Facts.

Still - that woulda' been sweet.

I try. :cry:

Renzo on