As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Talisman...it's baaaack. Well, in October.

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Critical Failures
So some company called Black Industries has the rights to re-release an updated version of the classic Talisman board game.

Details here...

Talisman: The Magical Quest Game is a fantasy themed adventure board game for two to six players, produced by Games Workshop. The game was first released in 1983 and has gone through several revisions. While the most current revision is the Third Edition (1994), the Second Edition was available longer and more popular than the Third Edition. All versions of Talisman are currently out of print. The game (especially the Third Edition) is loosely connected to Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy setting.

800px-TalismanInPlay.jpg

Esh on

• SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Awesome.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Some company called Black Industries" is the RP/boardgame imprint of the Black Library, GW's pet publishing house. BI also did the new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game and is working on the 40K equivalent.
    They are a semi-independent division of the company in the same way Forge World is.

Other than that, what Suga said. I am so sold on this, it even comes before FW's AdMech in terms of purchasing priority for me...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited January 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    BI also did the new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game and is working on the 40K equivalent.

Woah Woah...

WH40KRPG? In the same vain as WHFRP? That would be... well, I don't want to use an italicised awesome twice on the same page.

SUPERSUGA on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've wanted a copy of this for so long...I wasted countless hours playing the original Talisman with my buddies throughout junior high and high school. I've just never felt that I could justify buying it on ebay for 30 fuckzillion dollars.

Word.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Woah Woah...

WH40KRPG? In the same vain as WHFRP? That would be... well, I don't want to use an italicised awesome twice on the same page.
    Don't get your hopes too high, they are splitting the release into three parts. With each part containing the same material and then the rules for playing a specific type of campaign (the first being playing as inquisitors, the second rogue traders and the last one being Deathwatch). So really it's very likely to end up being incredibly restrictive in exactly the manner of play it allows.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but it just bugs me that they're doing things in such a horribly backwards way.

In other news, this might mean I can finally get my hands on a copy of Talisman and see what all the fuss is about.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd be more excited had I not recently purchased Runebound seeing as it is pretty much Fantasy Flight Games' own unofficial Talisman re-imagining.

However I love my 3rd ed. Talisman to death and am really quite intrigued.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Woah Woah...

Don't get your hopes too high, they are splitting the release into three parts. With each part containing the same material and then the rules for playing a specific type of campaign (the first being playing as inquisitors, the second rogue traders and the last one being Deathwatch). So really it's very likely to end up being incredibly restrictive in exactly the manner of play it allows.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but it just bugs me that they're doing things in such a horribly backwards way.

In other news, this might mean I can finally get my hands on a copy of Talisman and see what all the fuss is about.
    Lame. The 40k universe is so well documented there should be very few limits on what you should be able to play. I want to be able to play an Eldar Fire Dragon a fucking rogue Lictor if the whim takes me.

SUPERSUGA on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Honestly, it's not that great of a game. VERY random, rather prone to the "one guy gets in the lead and becomes unstoppable but the game then drags on for another hour and a half" syndrome, lots of downtime between turns.

For me, it's more of a nostalgia trip; I played lots of the old GW board games back in the day (Chainsaw Warrior, Advanced Heroquest, and such). My buddy had the first edition of Talisman with all the expansions (the City, Timescape, etc.) and we played epic games pretty much every day during the summer.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited January 2007
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Honestly, it's not that great of a game. VERY random, rather prone to the "one guy gets in the lead and becomes unstoppable but the game then drags on for another hour and a half" syndrome, lots of downtime between turns.

For me, it's more of a nostalgia trip; I played lots of the old GW board games back in the day (Chainsaw Warrior, Advanced Heroquest, and such). My buddy had the first edition of Talisman with all the expansions (the City, Timescape, etc.) and we played epic games pretty much every day during the summer.
    I had regular ol' Heroquest and loves it to pieces. All the furniture and stuff was just plain awesome to me at the time, I bought it second hand for super cheap (like, £2 or something from a charity shop) so it was missing the big Demon and the adventure book, so it was improvised DMing all the way.

SUPERSUGA on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Heretic!

You obviously didn't play with our group. Backstabbing till the end.

I'm all over this, I'll pay for it now actually if I could.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"