As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Supertrip 2008

• Options
    Nox_DracoriaNox_Dracoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    b0wser wrote: »
    When you've taken the Coquihalla a bunch of times, it just gets a little boring too. It's also a little depressing to look out across the pine forests, and see the real devastation that those damned pine beetles are creating. Lush green forests, covered in large swathes of brown dead tree.

I agree- It's painful driving around almost anywhere in the interior of BC. Kamloops for example - that area was hit hard - and as an arrid zone it already lacked a lot of trees, but the forest fires in the region almost every year for the past 10 years coupled with the rampant pine beetle issue has ruined the forests around Kamloops.

However - alternate routes to the Coquihalla are good times and they don't cost you that 10 bucks per car... Such as driving down the Fraser canyon to hope, or the Hope/Princeton highway - Both are very pretty routes - and offer a change from the usual Coquihalla scenery.

I've used the Coquihalla too many times (I used to go to Vancouver from Kamloops about 2 times a month for about 4 years...) I used to try to change it up by going down the canyon to hope - but now I'm in Kelowna and I've discovered that while the connector to Merrit then down the Coquihalla is fast - it's just not a route I feel like taking much anymore.

I'll be leaving Kelowna with my group of people probably around 8AM on the 28th, and we will just make for enjoying the trip as much as we can, then relax that evening and wander around down town Seattle before needing to worry about PAX on friday.

We would have been down for the Super trip, but we made our driving plans on our way home from PAX last year :D

Nox_Dracoria on
  • Options
    FokkarFokkar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey Guys,
    I just found out that one of the guys that would be taking a space in my car might bail... so I was wondering if there's anyone on here that could use a ride from Vancouver to PAX. We'll be leaving early early friday morning, and coming back Sunday night. It's not 100% yet, but just thought I'd check.
    I'd expect you to split gas with the rest of us (there are 3 others).

PM me if you're interested. You'd have to get to my place Friday morning on your own.

Cheers,
    Kyle

Fokkar on
  • Options
    SnoowySnoowy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll be driving down with 3 other people from Red Deer starting Thursday (can't get the work off for the supertrip:() (well that looks weird)
    We are staying overnight in Hope Thursday night and driving into Seattle from there Friday morning!

If there is anybody else that will be on the road at that time maybe we'll crash into you! We'll have a Canadian PAXer sign up in the window.

Hurray for road trips!

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    look at the post above yours ;)

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    O look at that!

It's amazing what you find when you take the time to read.

Like how I just read something about beer. Forgot the rest of the post but beer definitely stood out. Something to do with "Canadian Constipates". Definitely sounds like my slice of cheese.

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
  • Options
    AngrytofuAngrytofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whoa, Crazy Red Deer?? that's my hometown I moved to Vancouver like 3-4 years ago for work. I work at a game studio here that's crazy though. Didn't think anyone from Red Deer would be coming. Dead Deer~~ for the win.
    Snoowy wrote: »
    I'll be driving down with 3 other people from Red Deer starting Thursday (can't get the work off for the supertrip:() (well that looks weird)
    We are staying overnight in Hope Thursday night and driving into Seattle from there Friday morning!

If there is anybody else that will be on the road at that time maybe we'll crash into you! We'll have a Canadian PAXer sign up in the window.

Hurray for road trips!

Angrytofu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Angrytofu wrote: »
    Whoa, Crazy Red Deer?? that's my hometown I moved to Vancouver like 3-4 years ago for work. I work at a game studio here that's crazy though. Didn't think anyone from Red Deer would be coming. Dead Deer~~ for the win.

Awesome!

I'm technically from Fort McMurray but moved to Red Deer a decade ago. In Edmonton now.
    Bringing three real Red Deer people (as opposed to fake ones) and one from Wetaskawin.

Oh and it's DEAD REAR.

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
  • Options
    AngrytofuAngrytofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lol, you're from the 2nd Newfoundland? that's hilarious I have some friends here who are all from Fort Mac, yep Dead Rear lol good place if you like to drink that's for sure!

I'll have to find other Red Deerians when I'm at PAX

Angrytofu on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yuritau so kindly offered us 2 seats in his car. :) But we also were looking for someone who had two seats available for a ride back to abbotsford (or vacinity) on sunday night.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sumi, I'm headed back to Abbotsford on Sunday night, with 2 seats open. Can you define "vacinity" please?

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Is your last name Nathe?

And vacinity is like.. just off the highway at the mount lehman exit.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    she means "vicinity" if that helps. At first I thought she said Van City :P

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Spelling has never been my strong point.

Sumi on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sumi wrote: »
    Spelling has never been my strong point.

As long as you can spell Arrr or Arrrgh, you'll do just fine.

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No Sumi, my last name isn't Nathe, and I've never met anyone with that name. I will say that we can for sure give a ride to the two people who need a ride back to Abby. We are picking up our daughter from her Grandma's in Abbotsford, and Mt. Lehman is still in Abby. If you could send me more details, that would be great.

chibidani@gmail.com

chibidani on
  • Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Since I'm essentially stealing the route due to being a lazy butte, can I be considered Honorary CST this year, just for kicks? And besides I still have my N so it's not like I'm doing anyone any good by participating legitimately. Heh.

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Snoowy wrote: »

Awesome!

I'm technically from Fort McMurray but moved to Red Deer a decade ago. In Edmonton now.
    Bringing three real Red Deer people (as opposed to fake ones) and one from Wetaskawin.

Oh and it's DEAD REAR.

wonk represent

Also I know someone from red deer flying down instead. Surprising amount of people heading out from there.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    chibidani wrote: »
    No Sumi, my last name isn't Nathe, and I've never met anyone with that name. I will say that we can for sure give a ride to the two people who need a ride back to Abby. We are picking up our daughter from her Grandma's in Abbotsford, and Mt. Lehman is still in Abby. If you could send me more details, that would be great.

chibidani@gmail.com

I asked because I knew someone who's nickname was also "chibidani" it's a very funny coincidence. :)

Sumi on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've updated the Edmonton to Seattle GoogleMap to feature the newly added waypoint in Calgary. It's close to the #2 coming south from Edmonton, and it's a good place to grab a coffee and gas for the long drive through the mountains.

More update to come: 2-weeks out mass email & check-in, Porkfry's DVD information, Canadian beer event

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sumi, that's very strange, and amusing. I've never met anyone else with that nickname. Where did you know that person from? Just so you know, I was an O'Connor, and now am a Nicholson. Oh, and thanks for the PM.

chibidani on
  • Options
    ducky_feetducky_feet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is there anyone that will be taking the 10:50am or 2:45pm Greyhound from Vancouver to Seattle on the Friday?

ducky_feet on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I just booked my greyhound trip. Only coming with you guys one way though.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    parabola wrote: »

well, if by "you guys" you mean me and the others on the 8:15 greyhound, we only have one way planned. The return trip is whenever you want to come back, although we can figure out who's going back when on the way down.

Welcome aboard :D

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    parabola wrote: »

well, if by "you guys" you mean me and the others on the 8:15 greyhound, we only have one way planned. The return trip is whenever you want to come back, although we can figure out who's going back when on the way down.

Welcome aboard :D

I'm keeping my return Amtrak trip because Greyhound CS annoy the hell out of me and i'm not putting up with their BS again.

They still have to call me within 24 hours and such.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    makes sense. I might end up taking Amtrak or one of the QuickShuttle things back.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    13 days to go. And counting.

Speaking of which, I've also got a local anime con to attend exactly a week before.

This is going to be interesting as I've got 2 conventions in one month. It's the month of saving up a lot for me.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hooray for Anime Evolution! I went when it was still only a 2-day anime watching event at SFU Harbour Centre in downtown Vancouver; I think that was 2001. We aren't going to it this year because we're going to PAX and can only afford one convention.

chibidani on
  • Options
    HammyHammy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    *is also going to AE* It will definitely be a hectic month with 2 cons back to back. -_-;;

Hammy on
  • Options
    Gamedeals.caGamedeals.ca Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I will be set up as a dealer at AE (as per every year)... it's how I can afford to go to PAX.

Gamedeals.ca on
    GameDeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster (GVA)
    Just off Columbia Skytrain Station.
    http://www.gamedeals.ca
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dallas and Dathose will be riding in Yuritau's vehicle while Healthpack will be with Deadlysherpa.

Sumi on
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone else coming on the clipper Friday?

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    tenchikazetenchikaze Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lol, you're from the 2nd Newfoundland? that's hilarious I have some friends here who are all from Fort Mac, yep Dead Rear lol good place if you like to drink that's for sure!

Red Deer's my home town too. Lived there until 2000 (when I was 13), and then we moved to Calgary. :D

tenchikaze on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    tenchikaze wrote: »

Red Deer's my home town too. Lived there until 2000 (when I was 13), and then we moved to Calgary. :D

This is quite the Red Deer reunion! We'll have to start a club.

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The time for check-in has arrived! I would prefer that everyone confirm with whatever details they've got, maybe check what I've got posted and make sure everything is accurate. I assume that everyone who's been posting is going to participate, but I'd still like an official check.

Porkfry is working hard on the PAX 2008 DVD, and wants to get video footage of the Supertrips as they arrive at the WSCTC. He'd like to get any bits of interesting footage we may create on the trip down-- as well as some interview footage of the participants with some basic questions.

His specific list is hidden in this spoiler:
    * The Video Starting with an explanation from the lead (being you guys) as to the following:
    o Who you are?
    o Which super trip you're on?
    o Where you're starting from?
    o Why you are heading up your super trip?
    o What you expect from said super trip?
    o How long you expect the trip to take?
    o What are you excited about seeing at PAX?
    o Any other informative stuff...
    * Once on the road I'd like to see the following:
    o Any interesting shit you happen to see on your trip, as in any thing you think is cool or super weird...totally "You Tube "Dude check out this shit" worthy"
    o I'd like to get an introduction for each person you add to the trip. (Name and Handle)
    + This also counts (taking the super trip for example) we start at "A" our first stop to pick people up is at "B". Once you get to "B", (Of course continue with each leg of the scheduled Journey)
    # Who did you pick up?
    # What are their names?
    # Is this their first PAX?
    # Is this their first Supertrip?
    # What are they excited about seeing at PAX?
    # Why are they going to PAX? (as in what interested them in PAX to the point where they are participating in a Supertrip)
    o Awesome stuff that happens during the trip as you pick up people.
    +More people = More awesome.
    #What things are you guys doing on the trip?
    * Passing around Music
    * Video Game Debates/Talk/Or other things you're talking about
    * Penny Arcade Related talk (when did you start reading PA, Who is better Gabe or Tycho, etc...)
    # Are there games you're playing between the cars, or...train cars.
    # Record Awesome things!
    # Inside Jokes
    # People doing things that are super funny
    # Moe told me about when their trip all hit up this McDonalds and it seemed like more people than that McDonalds had ever seen...Stuff like that!

There are likeness release forms that need to be signed if you're interested in being filmed, which I will provide to all participants once the branches merge at Bow Hill Rest Area. If you are not interested, please let me know, so we can identify where you are in any segments, so they aren't used. The PAX Community and the Supertrips are all about having a good time, and we want to show everyone who watches the DVD just how much fun a Supertrip can be. If you've got a decent quality video camera and would like to assist in some filming, also please let me know!

b0wser on
  • Options
    DaedaleusDaedaleus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    my group is still in on this, same vehicle, same waypoint, basically same people.

I have am willing to take 5 people besides myself and i currently have 3 people riding with me (though one friend isnt sure if he will be able to make it into town in time to meet us, so, tragically 1 of those people may miss PAX....)

Edit: the aforementioned friend isnt going to be able to make it, so i only have 2 people riding with me.

Daedaleus on
  • Options
    SpinelSpinel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My group is still in as well info is same and we decided to take the protege.

See you guys Wednesday night Thursday morning.

Spinel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    well, bad news is that i cant drive out there anymore.
    so my choices is either join the supertrip or grab the supertrip greyhound crew

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    greyhound crew is always looking for more members :D

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The one unconfirmed rider in my group has confirmed now. We've got one or two spaces available depending on comfort, but I don't think anyone would want to make the drive in the middle of the back seat unless absolutely necessary!

My Explorer is operating normally but we've decided to still use the Intrepid - It has a more comfortable ride and the lack of giant dent in a door will keep us from standing out as much at the border, heh.

tr0tsky, I'll need to pick up those CST buttons for distribution at waypoints on Sunday Morning, cause I have to work that night starting at 4:00 pm. Please PM me or bug me on IRC about when would be a good time to get them!

Theros on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm probably just gonna give them to someone at the gamer lounge tonight. If there's 2 people there, going from 2 different start points I'll split them. Otherwise, I'll just give them to Sumi (as-Sumi-ng) she shows up and she can pass them out at one of the stops.

tr0tsky on
This discussion has been closed.