As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Druid Thread: CLOSED FOR FLEA SPRAYING

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think I'll go tree in the expansion. They look like they will be a lot of fun.

My friend came up with a pretty fun idea for typhoon for pvp. Let's say your running with a warrior in a 2v2 and there is a dude hiding behind the pillar playing the LOS evading game. What do you do? You shoot a typhoon around one side and have the warrior run around the either. The guy either runs into the typhoon and gets knocked back into the warrior, runs into the warrior, or, runs away from the pole and loses the cover.

Not shabby.

Inquisitor on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    aw, no more dire cat?

Did they implement it in the beta and remove it? If so, what'd the model look like?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No. Dire cat was made up.

Garthor on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They say there was no plans for dire cat and everyone misunderstood Kalgans comment. Ya right.

Anyway at the time it was annoying but really if they fix feral scaling issues what's the difference? A new skin? There were rumors floating around about scaling with weapon damage and dual wield paws, but they were only rumors afaik. So long as we scale properly right through the expansion it makes no difference.

Still, I did want a new skin for my damn Tauren cat. I could see them doing it like they did with the polar bear (a minor glyph) but it'd be nice if they really did change the base form. That's beating a dead horse tho'.

danx on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I still have a problem with using Glyphs to change forms.

I know it'll probably be minor glyphs, but we're still not sure which other glyphs are minor. What would I be giving up by changing my bear form to a polar bear? Not to mention the second minor glyph that will change cat form to a red lynx or whatever it is. (which I want more than a new bear form).

If every other minor glyph is just a cosmetic thing, I can deal with it. But it seems odd to me that they've released this info without specifying exactly what counts as 'minor'.

As for Dire Cat I think we can safely assume it was kicked around as an idea and Kalgan just didn't know they'd changed their minds.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tauren cat form has been the main reason for me not leveling a druid. It always seemed like a placeholder model.

Scroffus on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It isn't, but aparently the Travelform model has been a placeholder since day one, weirdly enough.

815165 on
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I actually like the travel form model oddly enouth.

Scroffus on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    danx wrote: »
    They say there was no plans for dire cat and everyone misunderstood Kalgans comment. Ya right.

Anyway at the time it was annoying but really if they fix feral scaling issues what's the difference? A new skin? There were rumors floating around about scaling with weapon damage and dual wield paws, but they were only rumors afaik. So long as we scale properly right through the expansion it makes no difference.

Still, I did want a new skin for my damn Tauren cat. I could see them doing it like they did with the polar bear (a minor glyph) but it'd be nice if they really did change the base form. That's beating a dead horse tho'.

When Kalgan dispelled the rumors about a dire cat form, he specifically said that they were looking at making new skins.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure all minor glyphs are supposed to be cosmetic rather than functional, but I don't have the time right now to check the other glyph lists to confirm that.

Opty on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »

That is because it doesn't look like shit.

I am very happy about the polar bear glyph, one of the most exciting things I have read about WotLK. I have been crusading for new feral skins for bloody years, and it looks like they are finally opening the door for them. Now if they would only get their lazy asses out of the wagon and add a few more from big raid instances, and I would be a happy druid indeed. Variation and epic looks is something that has been sorely needed by ferals.

And I beg you, do not make the asinine "I'd rather blizzard worked on the balance issues" comments I am used to hear whenever I talk about this.

Vic on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Vic wrote: »
    Scroffus wrote: »

That is because it doesn't look like shit.

Travel form looks pretty bad. The model itself is pretty bland, and it's also a model that you see everywhere ever.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RE: Minor Glyphs. Back when there were only 2 tiers of glyphs (there are three now), the example they gave of a minor glyph was removing the reagent cost from a spell. So "cosmetic" isn't the word I'd use for Minor Glyphs.

However, we have only a small portion of glyphs to judge reality from right now, and most of the glyphs we *do* have we don't know what category they go in. So it's really too early to say anything with authority.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    edited August 2008
    I should point out that I did see a Red Lynx Glyph somewhere. I think it got added in the most recent build.

If I find the link again I'll post it.

MuddBudd on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That would make sense, that skin has been in the game files for the nelf cat model for ages.

815165 on
    edited August 2008
    MuddBudd on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If there is no Moonkin glyph I shall burn with the fury of a thousand Moonfires.

SpongeCake on
    edited August 2008
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    If there is no Moonkin glyph I shall burn with the fury of a thousand Moonfires.

And what would you change it to?

MuddBudd on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    SpongeCake wrote: »

And what would you change it to?

I want to be even fatter and birdier.

(My druids are named Fatbird.)

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Think Voltron with lots of cannons.
    The cannons shoot moonfire.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To be fair, there are shitloads of Moonkin models out there. I'd like one of those polar ones in Winterspring.

SpongeCake on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been trying to avoid WotLK talk (because shit changes so much between beta and release) but new skins (or even models) for feral forms?

So excited. :)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So
    So if Warriors are the best tanks for "bosses who hit hard for physical damage" (i.e., with the exception of elementals [where druids/pallies have no edge] and casters [again, no edge, although DKs have one], pretty much every encounter where the tank matters much), why not choose a warrior for every difficult encounter?
    We've talked about this a lot, and I'll admit that it may not be the best way to go (designing tanks for certain bosses). Currently we are talking more about HOW classes tank, not WHAT they tank. Potential examples: The warrior tanks by having a shield, a lot of mitigation and avoidance. The druid tanks by having a huge health pool. The paladin tanks by using passive reactive abilities. That is a gross simplification, but perhaps you get the idea. This would naturally lead to some tanks being better at some fights, but it should leave more flexibility to the individual. Players won't count up all the bosses and say "Only 4 hit for magic damage, so we don't need a death knight."

Don't we tank through capped armor and huge amounts dodge now? Is that changing in the expansion? I don't want 45k life, I want huge amounts of armor and ridiculous amounts of dodge and high DPS for a tank.

Bigity on
    edited August 2008
    A "huge piles of health" paradigm doesn't seem like a good idea to me, either. Who would you rather heal, somebody who takes a hit for 25% of their 20,000 life, or somebody who takes a hit for 25% of their 100,000 life?

Garthor on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    A "huge piles of health" paradigm doesn't seem like a good idea to me, either. Who would you rather heal, somebody who takes a hit for 25% of their 20,000 life, or somebody who takes a hit for 25% of their 100,000 life?

One is a hell of a lot more predictable, which helps at times.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This thread offends me for leaving out the Tree Party.

The Muffin Man on
  • CelianCelian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bigity wrote: »
    Don't we tank through capped armor and huge amounts dodge now? Is that changing in the expansion? I don't want 45k life, I want huge amounts of armor and ridiculous amounts of dodge and high DPS for a tank.

I don't think high avoidance was something Blizzard really wanted:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=45769

So yeah... huge healthpools is likely where it's gonna be at.

Celian on
    PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I'll be very disappointed if that is the new paradigm since that really does seem pretty shitty. Sure it's more predictable, but it's also more predictable that your healers are all going to be OOM twice as fast.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Garthor wrote: »

One is a hell of a lot more predictable, which helps at times.

No, they're exactly the same. Mitigation is just as effective as health in terms of predictability. The only difference between somebody with 50% armor and 40,000 health and 75% armor with 20,000 health is that the second requires half as many heals. So, if you say, "Druids have high health, warriors have high mitigation", you are - essentially - shitting all over druids. Not to mention any on-demand abilities that warriors have to reduce incoming damage (like Shield Block).

Garthor on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Celian wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »

I don't think high avoidance was something Blizzard really wanted:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=45769

So yeah... huge healthpools is likely where it's gonna be at.

So change the conversion rate so druids don't have 70 percent dodge. Easy, and doesn't require a massive rethink on what our 'niche' is. Aim for certain levels of mitigation and survival, and base bosses on that. A druid might have more survival but less mitigation, where a warrior might have more mitigation but less survival, tune 'oh crap' buttons appropriately (dodge trinkets, Last Stand, whatever paladins or DKs have, etc).

Personally, I just don't find much attraction in being the tank that is basically a huge health sponge, soaking up blows and getting huge heals every 3 seconds or whatnot. I kinda like being a more offensive tank, hitting hard and dodging blows, shrugging off large physical hits but having to watch out for strings of crushing blows.

EDIT: Yes, we all know no more crushes, but still. What we do now is vastly different (and vastly more entertaining) than hey, I have 40k health, I just stand here and hit mangle/maul/lacerate. I don't need to worry about anything, since if the bosses hit me hard enough to get me worried, they'd gib warriors with half my health so I know that's not gonna happen. Oh, I guess I have to use three buttons to maximize my TPS).

Bigity on
    edited August 2008
    On the plus side.

Think about it in PVP.

You'd be able to defend a flag single-handed for AGES.

MuddBudd on
    edited August 2008
    On the plus side.

Think about it in PVP.

That's somehow different from Feral Druids on live servers?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited August 2008
    On the plus side.

Think about it in PVP.

That's somehow different from Feral Druids on live servers?

More AGES. MORE@@!@#!@$!@!@!

...sorry I spazzed out for a moment.

MuddBudd on
    edited August 2008
    It happens to the best of us.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited August 2008
    I can't help it. I get such joy when 3-5 people are hitting me and all I'm doing it tapping them to stop them flag capping. And it just goes on forever.

I feed off their rage.

Imagine how long you could stop them with 100k health or something.

MuddBudd on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't help it. I get such joy when 3-5 people are hitting me and all I'm doing it tapping them to stop them flag capping. And it just goes on forever.

I feed off their rage.

Plague Strike would like to have a word with you.

BlueDestiny on
    edited August 2008

I feed off their rage.

Plague Strike assumes I bother to shift out and heal.

MuddBudd on
    edited August 2008

I feed off their rage.

Two properly spaced DK's and a hunter would solve this then.
    Yes, this has happened to me in AV before. God damn druids just poking us.

BlueDestiny on
    edited August 2008

I feed off their rage.

Two properly spaced DK's and a hunter would solve this then.
    Yes, this has happened to me in AV before. God damn druids just poking us.

We're not talking about HoTs or heals, though. We're just talking MASSIVE ARMOR MASSIVE HEALTH MASSIVE TEETH.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited August 2008
    The DK's are there to deathgrip the druid away from the capping group, then use stuff like chains of ice/frost trap/scare beast/death coil to keep him occupied. Although of course this is a bit of overkill just to stop a druid, and if you could get 3 people to work together well it could be done with any class I bet.

BlueDestiny on