As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen Earth] All things come to an end. Then the fun starts.

Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
(Okay this'll be my first attempt at a proper OP so please be kind to it.)

FALLEN EARTH

From the oficial site:

"The world as we know it has fallen to ruin in the wake of the Shiva plague and a nuclear holocaust.

Civilization’s last flickering flames gutter in a small portion of the American Southwest, around the Grand Canyon.

While humanity fights to survive and rebuild on the ashes of the old world, new factions struggle for dominance: the stern Enforcers, the spiritual Lightbearers, the nature-loving Vistas, the gadget-happy Techs, the merchant-minded Travelers, and the savage Children of the Apocalypse. The conflicts and alliances between these factions create a dangerous ebb and flow that could make even bleaker the future of the Grand Canyon Province ... and of humanity as a whole.

What side will you choose? Where will you stand in the fight for the Fallen Earth?"

What is it?

-Fallen Earth is a post-apocalyptic MMO being developed by Icarus Studios (release date TBA). It's based on the earth ~150 years from now, centered around the Grand Canyon area. It looks to be in the same vein of cult post-apoc fiction as the Mad Max series, and the environments and gameplay are somewhat reminiscent of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

-It plays as a third-/first-person shooter, features a customizable (and player-made) item system based on scrounging and looting. Unlike the typical MMO, the "150 levels" in FE aren't the sole indicator of your character's strength, as AP (points you use to boost your stats and skills) can be attained through completing quests as well.

-The game world is heavy on the massive aspect, featuring a 7,000 square kilometre area surrounding the Hoover Dam. There will be horses to ride and vehicles to drive (though I'm not sure on the ready status of those at the moment). To compliment the great big desolate world, the view and draw distances are impressively far.

What are the factions all about?

Blatantly ripped from Wikipedia, here's a list of all the factions in FE:
Enforcers
Roots: Military and police forces, first responders and emergency support personnel.
Since The Fall: Dedicated to the belief that order and civilization will only be restored and willing to place their weapons and their lives behind that belief, the Enforcers march a narrow and precarious path – balancing between defending order and becoming a dictatorship.

Children of the Apocalypse
Roots: Anarchists, survivalists, paramilitary militia, rebels of society.
Since The Fall: Gathered into a loose confederation, the primal and nomadic CHOTA harass and disrupt attempts to re-build and re-establish society - striking, destroying, and then moving on in search of their next target.

Vistas
Roots: Environmentalists, alternate energy entrepreneurs, seekers of holistic forms of medicine, health and organic food.
Since The Fall: Devoted to the preservation of the natural world, the Vista’s kept knowledge in plant and herbal medicine alive, expanded research with genetic and agricultural skills essential to survival, but their opposition to the resurrection of advanced synthetic technologies creates tension with those who remember how comfortable things seemingly were – and could be again.

Techs
Roots: Scientists, technologists, professors and researchers in all science fields.
Since The Fall: Primarily devoted to maintaining what vestiges of pre-Fall science and technology remain, the Techs are also constantly on the alert for opportunities to rediscover and re-implement the technologies that some say played a part in causing the Fall.

Lightbearers
Roots: Visionaries and followers of spirit paths, faithful devotees of mind powers and healing arts.
Since The Fall: Devoting themselves to their vision of bringing Light into the shadows and darkness of the Fallen Earth, the Lightbearers view their path as the only true path, and their mastery of mental and mutational powers makes theirs a faith to be feared as well as followed.

Travelers
Roots: Crime syndicates and cartels, street gangs, secret societies, triads, con artists and thieves.
Since The Fall: using their skills and secret networks to create an “underground economy”, the Travelers blend in to deceive… and are both a threat to the re-establishment of civilization and providers of otherwise unobtainable goods and services.

What's the story behind it?

Here's a cool timeline I found on the official site that explains the events leading up to, and following the "Fall":
Pre-Fall

2022 - Several towns in Kansas are ravaged by a series of super-tornadoes.

2033 - Hauptmann Brenhauer makes a gambit that gives Brenhauer Investments controlling interest in the major international megacorp known as GlobalTech.

2034 - GlobalTech acquires the Grand Canyon and surrounding national park lands.

2037 - An earthquake off the Pacific Coast sparks a tsunami that hits Seattle.

2040 - Brenhauer Investments opens its majestic new headquarters on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

2049 - GlobalTech moves its headquarters to the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, effectively creating its own little mini-state within Arizona, complete with military controlled borders. GlobalTech creates a corporate-feudal state by 2050.

2051 - GlobalTech operations in the Grand Canyon make it self-sufficient, needing no outside food, raw materials, or manufactured goods. Instead it becomes a producer of minerals and finished goods.

2052 - Environmentalists and eco-terrorists called the Vista Society covertly infiltrate the Grand Canyon Province, setting up communes in the more remote areas of the Province far from the corporate settlements. They go unnoticed for several months until they start sabotaging lumbering operations in Kaibab Forest.

2054 - The Shiva virus is released on the world and begins to spread. The United States government begins construction of the Hoover Dam Garrison.

2055 - As the situation deteriorates, nuclear attacks are initiated in and from southern Asia. The Hoover Dam Garrison begins operation under Colonel Orson Masters.

2056 - The Shiva virus strikes the Grand Canyon Province. 90% of the population is killed off before the year is out.

2057 - Hoover Dam Garrison loses all contact with the outside world. The Grand Canyon Province seems to be alone in surviving the Fall.

2058 - The last refugees reach the Hoover Dam Garrison from outside the Grand Canyon Province, specifically from Las Vegas.

Post-Fall

2065 - The first rumors of the Lightbearers and their leader Shakti begin to circulate.

2090 - Colonel Orson Masters promotes himself to General to better reflect his increased responsibilities in leading the community that the Hoover Dam Garrison has become.

2099 - Command of the Hoover Dam Garrison is passed on to William Masters, son of the former leader.

2126 - Responding to attacks on its scouts and the rise of the CHOTA leader Redhand, forces from the Hoover Dam Garrison attack the CHOTA settlement of Five Points. In response the CHOTA send a group of mutant assassins into the Hoover Dam Garrison, killing General William Masters. His son Alec Masters assumes control of the Garrison.

2127 - Under Alec Masters, the Hoover Dam Garrison becomes a despotism. The CHOTA are forced back to CHOTA Gulch and Siller's Canyon. Mutants are rounded up by the hundreds for experimentation, most never to be seen again.

2132 - Alec Masters attacks the Monastery, home of the Lightbearers, capturing their leader Shakti and scattering the order.

2150 - After years of conflict, the CHOTA storm the Hoover Dam Garrison with assistance from the Travelers and Vistas. Tired of years of abuse, the people of the Garrison rise up against Alec Masters as well. The Garrison is destroyed in the ensuing battle and the dam abandoned. Alec Masters is killed by the CHOTA.

2154 - Current day.

And here's the background:
The enemy that brought about the Fall didn't wear a uniform. It didn't speak of jihads or crusades. It didn't rally extremists to the cause.

Immune to metal detectors, oblivious to terror status rankings, Shiva moved without sound and without fury.

The microscopic virus originated in southern Asia, somewhere between India and Pakistan. It manifested first as a deadly flu epidemic, but how it came about isn't entirely clear. Was it just a quirk of biology? A secret government project gone awry? A purposefully targeted biological weapon? No one ever found out for sure, and with the heightened tensions of the region, few wasted time looking for an answer.

Pakistani radicals almost immediately assumed it was a weaponized virus unleashed by India and retaliated with a nuclear bomb that sparked a devastating exchange between both countries that left hundreds of thousands dead within just a few hours.

Neither fire nor radiation brought humanity low, however. The blasts flung irradiated dust laced with the Shiva virus into the atmosphere, where it mutated into a new and more potent form.

Shiva 2 descended on Asia, spreading rapidly and sparking further nuclear exchanges between ancient enemies. As chaos overwhelmed the world, major cities in Europe and North America, including cities in the United States, fell prey to similar attacks. Civilization collapsed within a few weeks, leaving only a handful of sheltered areas habitable.

The Shiva virus mutated again and again, and stymied scientists who struggled to find a cure. Eventually, the virus reached its final incarnation: Shiva 7. Although it exhibited symptoms similar to those of its predecessors, Shiva 7 was non-lethal. Once the illness ran its course, the virus fell dormant within its host. But by the time Shiva 7 became the dominant strain of the virus, more than 90 percent of the world's population was gone. Nearly all of the survivors were infected with Shiva 7, but its effects seemed minimal for decades.

In subsequent generations, however, hidden effects of Shiva 7 became apparent. The virus caused mutations - some benign, some malignant, and some...quite strange, giving a few people the ability to manipulate the world around them. The virus had altered the fundamental genetic makeup of humanity.

Now, in the year 2154, you find yourself in the Grand Canyon Province, isolated from the rest of the fallen world. Hoover Dam, the last bastion of civilization in the region, has fallen to the Children of the Apocalypse and their allies after decades of conflict. The Enforcers and Techs, once servants of the reviled ruler of Hoover Dam, Alec Masters, now search for a new place in the world. In one of the last habitable regions on earth, humanity struggles to hold on to the last scraps of the old world. The savage Children of the Apocalypse, the wily Travelers, the militaristic Enforcers, the technology-friendly Techs, the nature-loving Vistas, and the mystical and altruistic Lightbearers all struggle for dominance.

They'll become your allies or enemies as you explore, share the adventure, and shape the future of Fallen Earthâ„¢.

More info please!?

The Fallen Earth Main Site.

Check out the trailer at Warcry.

Here's an in-depth, four-part gameplay video on YouTube:
Discuss!

Quick, quiet, confident
Comfortable, permanent
Undisputed, every tense
Not a trace of what went left
More equal than the best
Unparalleled success
Everybody, V-impressed
Darius Black on

• Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, doesn't look like a huge amount of interest for this one so far. I got interested in Fallen Earth like a year ago or so and was quite intrigued by it but lack of info kinda made me stop following it. Some of the videos for it were great though, especially when you see things like crabs using computer monitors as shells. The MMO scene needs a good post-apoc game to mix things up with all the fantasy/sci fi and this one is definitely on the watch list once it gets closer to release. Has there been any news at all about features and general time frame for beta etc?

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shit, not that I've heard. But yeah this would be a nice facsimile for the Fallout MMO that was rumoured but will never be released. Nothing like spending hours of your life trudging through a desolate wasteland. That's the life for me...

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    moleface wrote: »
    I got interested in Fallen Earth like a year ago or so and was quite intrigued by it but lack of info kinda made me stop following it.

EDIT: And spoiler those videos. My Scroll-finger is tired.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone remember Twilight War(s)? My cousin followed it for two years and even interviewed the devs a couple of times. Sadly they ran out of money and couldn't find a publisher and the whole project went under. It looked pretty cool, too.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If this game could accomplish half of what they've set out to do I'd buy a copy for myself and everyone else I play with. I'm very worried that they're overreaching though, and we'll just end up with a bug-ridden husk of a game.

I haven't consumed all of the material available, does anyone know if there will be player built houses/forts/cities (dare to dream)?

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, I think there will be control points to fight over, but I don't think you can build anything.

Here's to hoping we'll end up with a playable bug-ridden husk of a game or better.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    kobesteakkobesteak Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    the time line reminds me a lot of shadowrun l

kobesteak on
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The crazy thing is that Fallen Earth doesn't have any real screens or anything on their website but I'm pretty sure the game has a huge alpha test currently going on. I would assume it's further along than many would think, and it's cool because its flying so far under the radar that it won't really pull the hyper-negative WoW crowd to send the game towards it's premature demise.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It looks like Mad Max meets Fallout.

There is no way in hell this could be anything less than godly.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nice, this is the first time hearing about this. A Fallout/Mad Max/Post Apoc type MMO is certainly welcome here. Hopefully Fallen Earth and Earthrise don't try and race one another onto gaming shelves and push out unfinished products. After watching those videos in the OP the things that stand out to me are:

FPS elements (ala Tabula Rasa)
    Nice draw distance.
    Mounted Combat.
    Seamless world.
    Body mutation that changes the physical look of your model.
    Zone based/Faction controlled PvP areas with quest unlockables for the factions in control.
    Crafting items take actual real world time to complete and can be queued to finish/continue other projects while logged out of the game.

Definately something worth keeping an eye on.

Edit: Looks like you can sign up to try and get into the closed beta.

http://www.fallenearth.com/index.php?page=signup

Participate in the Fallen Earth Closed Beta
    We need your help testing our game! We are currently in the Closed Beta development phase are are looking for qualified testers. In order to participate, you’ll first need to set up a forum account. After signing up, interested testers should visit “Fallen Earth Testing” in the User CP portion of the forum navigation. Upon completing this section, interested testers are placed on a waiting list. The Fallen Earth team will accept qualified testers as they are needed, and participants will be notified via the email address provided in the forum acount settings.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Between this and Darkfall (both of which I won't be playing for a while, despite the latter being "released" recently), I hope to get the Fallout 3 addiction out of my system once and for all. Well, after the two expansions...

Signed up for beta. Thanks.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I did voiceover work for this game.

Ceno on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bump for PvE sandbox yayness. I'm totally behind this one because all the other sandbox games are going the FFA/full loot PvP route, and I prefer to have a little more control over when/where I PvP. So give them some love!

Need more screens? Okay, sure!

I couldn't get the trailer in the OP to work, so
    here's the latest one circa 3/28.

Beta signups have been made even more simple.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gnarly. I'll keep an eye on this.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    someforumguy7someforumguy7 Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Looks nifty. I really hope they manage to get it to work, cause this is one awesome idea.

someforumguy7 on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Were I in the closed beta, I would probably be inclined to say that the game is fairly fun and that combat is original for an MMO and mostly works and that many of the issues are being steadily patched out, though the graphics are certainly not Crysis.

I am, of course, speaking on entirely hypothetical terms.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bump to mention that for interested parties, Fileplanet subscribers can get into their stress test, due to open on the 23rd (ie, tomorrow).

Found out about the game from their email. Looks vaguely interesting, at least.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sidhaethe wrote: »

funny, because that first screenshot in there looks strikingly similar to Fallout 3

I mean that looks literally almost exactly like any number of places in the wasteland

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Were I in the closed beta, I would probably be inclined to say that the game is fairly fun and that combat is original for an MMO and mostly works and that many of the issues are being steadily patched out, though the graphics are certainly not Crysis.

I'd hypothetically agree with that, the visuals may possibly leave something to desire, that is what I read on websites

rfalias on
  • Options
    PsydrithPsydrith Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Might be a good idea to mention the stress test.

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/fallen-earth/

Psydrith on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    sidhaethe wrote: »

funny, because that first screenshot in there looks strikingly similar to Fallout 3

I mean that looks literally almost exactly like any number of places in the wasteland

You know what I got out of that article?

"We are totally not influenced by Fallout!"

"Okay. . . maybe we are a little. . . "

Still, this game looks pretty cool. Its a nice change of pace from sword and sorcery.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    Antithesis wrote: »

I'd hypothetically agree with that, the visuals may possibly leave something to desire, that is what I read on websites
    I would also say that were I in the stress test, I would hypothetically find the crafting system amusing and constantly be led astray by piles upon piles of trash pulling me to somewhere not where my waypoints want me to go.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I just got send a key to get into the closed beta.

Anybody else have one?

I'm looking at my download cap at the moment thinking 5+GB is going to be putting the family into a squeeze so I might download it onto my laptop at uni.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    So I just got send a key to get into the closed beta.

Anybody else have one?

I'm looking at my download cap at the moment thinking 5+GB is going to be putting the family into a squeeze so I might download it onto my laptop at uni.

I'm pretty sure the NDA says that you are not even supposed to acknowledge that you got into the beta.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Edit: Whoops. I removed my comment realizing the stupid NDA.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Edit: Whoops. I removed my comment realizing the stupid NDA.

the first rule of NDA is that you don't talk about NDA

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Grab your armor and get ready to fight for the future of mankind.FALLEN EARTH, LLC today announced that the post-apocalyptic massively multiplayer online game (MMO) Fallen Earth will be available via digital distribution and through retailers nationwide beginning Wednesday, September 9.

Fallen Earth combines the accuracy of first-person shooter games with the character advancement and strategic gameplay of a role-playing game. Taking place in the Grand Canyon as mankind teeters on the edge of extinction, players are thrust into the remains of the old world and must choose to rise above the hardships or embrace the surrounding destruction.

Fallen Earth allows players to align with one of six factions to claim control of territories and towns, asserting their distinct philosophies in the rebuilding of civilization. Players utilize a real-time crafting system to make 95 percent of game items—including the best gear, weapons and vehicles—and explore more than 1,000 square kilometers of territory and 70 towns. Additionally, Fallen Earth offers classless advancement that uses a skill-based system to build characters with a variety of stats, skills, factions, and mutation paths.

“We’ve been working to create a different type of MMO—something gritty and challenging that will give players an exciting and immersive gaming experience,” says Jessica Orr, product manager for Fallen Earth. “The Fallen Earth team is looking forward getting the game in the hands of our current and future fans.”

Beginning today, FallenEarth.com will feature a countdown to the release as well as up-to-the-minute assets and news. Fans can also stay up to date with Fallen Earth on the Facebook and Twitter (@FallenEarth) pages.

About six weeks till launch ...

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I figure this is funny enough to be shared here. About a week ago there was this big world event for the beta, the Texas Invasion, where players could win points for prizes as well as for their clan. The winning clan gets an in game monument celebrating their victory, and also get to take over the website for a week.

The winning clan? Brotherhood of Steel.:lol:

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    at least it wasnt a No Mutants Allowed clan

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So anyone tried this game? Thoughts? or is there a NDA?

Sonork on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    also so the screenshots on the official website .... this game looks like ass, confirmed?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sonork wrote: »
    So anyone tried this game? Thoughts? or is there a NDA?

There is an NDA.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    awww

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sonork wrote: »
    awww

Yeah, so no one can tell you how awesome the game may or may not be.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Basticle wrote: »
    also so the screenshots on the official website .... this game looks like ass, confirmed?

From what I've heard, the actual game looks much better than what's been shown. Maybe they're from an older build?

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Needs more muties

GungHo on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

The NDA would prevent anyone from telling you that the game looks like complete ass and handles like a blue whale on rollerskates, that the UI is the worst you've seen in quite some time, the quests are awful and the game is just complete shit.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The NDA would prevent anyone from telling you that the game looks like complete ass and handles like a blue whale on rollerskates, that the UI is the worst you've seen in quite some time, the quests are awful and the game is just complete shit.

I've never seen a blue whale on skates, he might be very graceful

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I've never seen a blue whale on skates, he might be very graceful

I guarantee you, sir, he is not.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.