As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: CEs Betaning NOW on the A server! Or some of us are.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »
    WoW will put in one of their pre-painted miniature table top figures along with the manual on how to play. And then only the nerdyest, most loyal, paint covered waaaaghers will continue to buy GW's overpriced gray plastic things.

Prepainted figures are shit. Always. Every time.

And you can't even paint them properly, because they have no detail.

That doesn't matter at all, plus these actually look better than most.

What matters is the fact that more people would be willing to play table top games if they didn't have to spend tons of money AND time painting them. Look at how big Heroclix was and those figures are some of the worst pre-paints I've ever seen.

D&D mini's were worse.

Lucky Cynic on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Xzean wrote: »
    I must admit I am fairly disappointed with how they have treated the CE beta people.

What did you expect of them?

It's not like all us CE people are going to have Mythic employees give us blow jobs and toss gold coins around our heads.

Or did you get the guy who was all gums.

Cade on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Geez, I go to school for a few hours and it jumps 10 pages.

Oh, I just registered my Open Beta account. I highly doubt that I got into the preview weekend, but how can I check? Also, I am able to DL the game now, yeah?

Foolish Chaos on
  • BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Geez, I go to school for a few hours and it jumps 10 pages.

Oh, I just registered my Open Beta account. I highly doubt that I got into the preview weekend, but how can I check? Also, I am able to DL the game now, yeah?

The Client Download got delayed until Monday. They want to release a new way to download it but have not finished it yet.

Babble on
  • belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hopefully destruction wont have double the population on its servers like it does now. shit.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have to spend time painting them? You get to. That's half the hobby.

I'm being a pedant though; I actually do understand the appeal, at least objectively. I just think they're crap and miss half the interesting part. Finishing an army is a hell of an achievement, even it takes 10+ years (like my skaven).

A Warhammer army costs as much as like 3-5 video games. I have models I've been using for upwards of twelve or thirteen years now. Doesn't mean it's for everyone, but it's not really that expensive.

Initial cost, if you want to actually play, is a high.

But I totally agree with you on painting is half the fun part, I just think we are in a minority when you look at potential customers.

Accualt on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm being a pedant though; I actually do understand the appeal, at least objectively. I just think they're crap and miss half the interesting part. Finishing an army is a hell of an achievement, even it takes 10+ years (like my skaven).

A Warhammer army costs as much as like 3-5 video games. I have models I've been using for upwards of twelve or thirteen years now. Doesn't mean it's for everyone, but it's not really that expensive.

My bigger complaint is that the WHFB rules aren't that friendly (or even, you know, really good). I think GW should really take a look at the market and develop a few different, yet compatible, systems. They need an entry level FB, regular FB, and a skirmish level game like Mordheim/Warmachine.

From what I"ve heard of the WoW mini system though, the paint ain't half bad and the sculpts don't suck. I think they McVey's did the painting/color design?

zenpotato on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

But I totally agree with you on painting is half the fun part, I just think we are in a minority when you look at potential customers.

Right, this is what they need to fix. You should be able to start, at some level, with <$100 purchase of any army.

They need to come up with some real warband rules.

zenpotato on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    belaraphon wrote: »
    hopefully destruction wont have double the population on its servers like it does now. shit.

I think Destruction probably has more supporters among the hardcore fans that would actually be in beta, I can't imagine Order being significantly outnumbered when it hits the public.

Zek on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Painting and modelling them is the hobby. Heroclix and other prepainted minis are just like playing with GI Joes.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Account Description: War Beta Login Enabled
    Closed Beta
    Open Beta
    Head Start
    Preorder

:3

Lucky Cynic on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    im not touching that account center with a 10 foot pole for another couple weeks. It's not like live headstart begins next week.

Unknown User on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zek wrote: »

I think Destruction probably has more supporters among the hardcore fans that would actually be in beta, I can't imagine Order being significantly outnumbered when it hits the public.

Really? Lets see now. Destruction has: Big Hulking Guys in armor with glowing red eyes, Hot skinny dark elf chicks (seductive little bastards) wearing little to nothing, and the inevitable city (which is pretty freaking awesome). Why would only the hardcore find this stuff appealing?

Not to compare WAR to WoW, but, Destruction in WAR is pretty damn good looking. Unlike in WoW, where horde lived in huts everywhere they went, and their citys were pretty bland as well. Alliance was the obvious choice for apperance. But in WAR, its not so easy.

Foolish Chaos on
  • MazrimMazrim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Closed Beta
    Open Beta
    Head Start
    Preorder

Didn't you just waste a perfectly good Open Beta key since you're already in Closed? I know I'm saving my OB key for a friend who didn't get into closed.

Mazrim on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So if I go down to gamestop and put $5 down on a preorder will I get a code for the open beta? Is that how this works?

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

That's one of their big things, really. GW is still trying to figure out how to reach into communities where they don't have stores. Because if you can get into one of their centers, they DO have programs where they loan you armies, get you started, have you spend $75 bucks, teach you to deal with that, then inch you along, spending abot $30 every 1-2 weeks, till you're all the way in. It's still not for everyone, but the programs work well enough to support the hobby. They just can't seem to get it to work in... say... the South, where they have so few centers and have to rely on independent stores to run their programs. (And independent stores never do, at least not the right way to really get those sales.)

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited August 2008

Really? Lets see now. Destruction has: Big Hulking Guys in armor with glowing red eyes, Hot skinny dark elf chicks (seductive little bastards) wearing little to nothing, and the inevitable city (which is pretty freaking awesome). Why would only the hardcore find this stuff appealing?

Not to compare WAR to WoW, but, Destruction in WAR is pretty damn good looking. Unlike in WoW, where horde lived in huts everywhere they went, and their citys were pretty bland as well. Alliance was the obvious choice for apperance. But in WAR, its not so easy.

Just saying, the good guy side almost always has more supporters. Just look at DAoC: Albion was the realm consisting entirely of normal humans pre-SI and it was by far the most populated. And I don't see how it's not comparable to WoW, Destruction being cooler than Horde is the reason Order won't win by a landslide.

Zek on
    edited August 2008
    Mazrim wrote: »
    Closed Beta
    Open Beta
    Head Start
    Preorder

Didn't you just waste a perfectly good Open Beta key since you're already in Closed? I know I'm saving my OB key for a friend who didn't get into closed.

Yes,

But to be fair, it was a target preorder code which was $1.

Oh and I also went to Fry's and Paid for the $5 Boxed version of the SE preorder. Now I have the collectable cards which I will never touch.

If possible, I want to try and get the Bestbuy preorder box as well.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited August 2008
    Oh btw, I just called up Mythic. Apparently for the CE heads and quests and stuff, you would add in a code key like these and unlock that content and they are going to expand upon this sort of content distribution as opposed to having to worry about boxed versions of content and stuff.

Sounds like a plan to me! :D

Lucky Cynic on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm expecting the Oceanic server to be jam packed shortly after release due to players having a server that is local instead of on the opposite side of the world closest to us.

It's good to see them making an effort though, a game based on PvP really needs everyone on a fairly even footing and having had NA servers bite me in the ass due to lag it'll be good to see a change.

Kelor on
    edited August 2008
    I'm really wondering how rapid the growth of WAR will be. I bet they will probably have to have a good 20 servers or so by the end of the year, probably more!

Lucky Cynic on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think they'll need way more than 20 servers.

I hope they unveil their population balancing ideas whenever Open Beta starts. I want to play Destro with TSM, but it'll suck if the sides are unbalanced. I require near-instant scenario queues so I can level exclusively through RvR.

grrarg on
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gotta hope it will be more than that.

Figure about 20k accounts per server for 2k characters on in average primetime, which I think they implied is their target. 20 servers would be about 400k box sales in the U.S. or 800k sales US/EU/Aus.

AOC has 800k sales worldwide and a) is shit, b) had a lot less hype. WAR has 800k beta signups alone. There is a very big market of people who have had enough WoW, or want a second MMO to fill in between the glacial content updates.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, good point.

But I meant just NA servers.

Btw, the balancing incentives in Camelot were simple but helped. 5% coin drops for order on this server or 5% PvE exp bonus, etc.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited August 2008
    I really hope they have some good ideas for balancing, population imbalance really ruins open world PvP. Fortunately 2 teams Good vs Evil are a lot more likely to be balanced than DAoC's 3, so it shouldn't need too many big incentives.

Zek on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    witch killer is a lot of fun

tyrannus on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've played enough badly outnumbered Horde in WOW to not be bothered by the thought of my soon-to-be lonely Witch Hunter.

Fairchild on
    edited August 2008
    I really hope they have some good ideas for balancing, population imbalance really ruins open world PvP. Fortunately 2 teams Good vs Evil are a lot more likely to be balanced than DAoC's 3, so it shouldn't need too many big incentives.

Whaaat? Camelot was great, if one realm went out and got all the relics and DF, the other two would team up against them. There has even been cross realm armies. I have seen hibs and mids team up against albs plenty of times. Many people called it BS and filed complaints but the CSRs always said that it is a legitimate strategy and there is nothing wrong with it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i wonder how witch elf will play out at higher levels.

tyrannus on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you go stealth

then you appear behind a soft target and murder them with your stabbies. Then you try to escape and die horribly as the zerg catches on

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Then you admire your nearly naked pixelated T&A while waiting to respawn.

grrarg on
    edited August 2008
    Witch elves rule. What you do is find an Iron breaker or any other tank and just attack them headlong. You should be able to dodge all of their attacks and just keep whittling away at the tank until he is dead.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I caved in a preordered, entered the codes now what do I do? Can I download anything?

Fizban140 on
    edited August 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I caved in a preordered, entered the codes now what do I do? Can I download anything?

Apparently there is a torrent that will be needing a patch and it will take days before downloading/patching is finished.

Lucky Cynic on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Best bet is to wait till Monday, they will provide a download option that doesn't use any sort of torrent.

Kelor on
    edited August 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Best bet is to wait till Monday, they will provide a download option that doesn't use any sort of torrent.

And it will be flooded with downloads and be slow. Why not just do it now?

Lucky Cynic on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kelor wrote: »

And it will be flooded with downloads and be slow. Why not just do it now?

My guess is they're scrambling to get the infrastructure up for this alternate method........of course they could just hook some more PC's up to their fiber and put up a few more Seeds for the torrent. The torrent's problem is lack of seeds, and they sure as hell have the infrastructure to seed more than one copy of the files.

I'm wondering what the better option for moving 10 gigs of info per person in the beta is supposed to be? Unless they just mean the normal sane route of hosting the files in a conventional manner and not expecting your users to shoulder the bandwidth burden.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So. I have an extra copy of the Collector's Edition preorder card from Gamestop (I preordered 2 copies of the CE when it first went up for order).

First person here that signed up for, but DIDNT get into the 50k for the open beta for normal preorders, I will give the Open beta code to. The head start and bonus items I wont be giving out though.

ManetherenWolf on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So. I have an extra copy of the Collector's Edition preorder card from Gamestop (I preordered 2 copies of the CE when it first went up for order).

First person here that signed up for, but DIDNT get into the 50k for the open beta for normal preorders, I will give the Open beta code to. The head start and bonus items I wont be giving out though.

The head start you can give out, but the bonus items don't work until you register the key from a purchased Collector's Edition box.

Unless you bought two for the collectibles or something, and will have that code.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't understand what is wrong with a torrent. They are an exceptional way to distribute large files to lots of users in a short amount of time without spending much on bandwidth. It's like win win win win win win.

The only "problem" is that the masses don't understand how they work or how to set them up properly. People who are barred from using torrents are often in the minority. Sure, it is good to have alternate ways of distribution, but they shouldn't put too much effort into distributing a beta.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
This discussion has been closed.