As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: CEs Betaning NOW on the A server! Or some of us are.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Swordmasters are awesome.

Just a fact. Not talking from experience or anything...nope, no experience here.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Best bet is to wait till Monday, they will provide a download option that doesn't use any sort of torrent.

And it will be flooded with downloads and be slow. Why not just do it now?

You can do it now, but speeds for the torrent seem to be rather terrible. Last I looked there was 8 people downloading for every one that was seeding. Even with my ports forwarded my expected finish time was 13 days so I just decided to call it a day once they announced the alternate option.

If you can get it through the torrent though, more power to you. People do not seem to be seeding after they finish downloading, so it's going at a snail's pace.

Kelor on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Honestly, I would just keep the CE, do NOT open it,

Store it, hide it away.

And in like 5 years, when WoW is dead and WAR is the game that everyone compares everything to, then you bust it out on ebay and sell it for $4,000! :D

Lucky Cynic on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So. I have an extra copy of the Collector's Edition preorder card from Gamestop (I preordered 2 copies of the CE when it first went up for order).

First person here that signed up for, but DIDNT get into the 50k for the open beta for normal preorders, I will give the Open beta code to. The head start and bonus items I wont be giving out though.

The head start you can give out, but the bonus items don't work until you register the key from a purchased Collector's Edition box.

Unless you bought two for the collectibles or something, and will have that code.

The only bonus items on the CE preorder card are the Portable camp and the Sentinels amber band. Same ones as the SE preorder card.

The extra heads/quests/other stuff are actually in the CE box, those arent a preorder thing.

And for reference, I originally preordered the 2nd CE for a friend of mine who was in Iraq at the time and was a big Warhammer fan, but he has since come back, and I think he preordered his own already. Figured it was probably for the best to not cancel it though and hold on to it. I saw how the WoW CEs always went.

ManetherenWolf on
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Store it, hide it away.

And in like 5 years, when WoW is dead and WAR is the game that everyone compares everything to, then you bust it out on ebay and sell it for $4,000! :D

oh ho ho ho hahahaha

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Best bet is to wait till Monday, they will provide a download option that doesn't use any sort of torrent.

And it will be flooded with downloads and be slow. Why not just do it now?

You can do it now, but speeds for the torrent seem to be rather terrible. Last I looked there was 8 people downloading for every one that was seeding. Even with my ports forwarded my expected finish time was 13 days so I just decided to call it a day once they announced the alternate option.

If you can get it through the torrent though, more power to you. People do not seem to be seeding after they finish downloading, so it's going at a snail's pace.

It might have served them better to have compressed it and broke it up into pieces, which would have saved a gig or two of download time. When I acquired the torrent from somewhere, I was surprised first by the size, and second that it was just all the files chucked into a folder. I didn't bother downloading since I'm not in, otherwise I would have seeded just to help the rest of you.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And for reference, I originally preordered the 2nd CE for a friend of mine who was in Iraq at the time and was a big Warhammer fan, but he has since come back, and I think he preordered his own already. Figured it was probably for the best to not cancel it though and hold on to it. I saw how the WoW CEs always went.

You, sir, are a true friend.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Witch elves rule. What you do is find an Iron breaker or any other tank and just attack them headlong. You should be able to dodge all of their attacks and just keep whittling away at the tank until he is dead.

Dis...is not how dodge works. o_O

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited August 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    Witch elves rule. What you do is find an Iron breaker or any other tank and just attack them headlong. You should be able to dodge all of their attacks and just keep whittling away at the tank until he is dead.

It was a fake post, of course you can't take on a tank with a witch elf.

She'd get raped. :winky:

Lucky Cynic on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wasnt that new cinematic trailer supposed to be aired today?

or was it the 18th?

Saban on
    371839-1.png
    edited August 2008
    Saban wrote: »
    Wasnt that new cinematic trailer supposed to be aired today?

or was it the 18th?

Nothing yet, and yes it was. :3

Lucky Cynic on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KungFu wrote: »

Store it, hide it away.

oh ho ho ho hahahaha

Blizzard probably has to burn some of the excess money that they get because there's too much to count.

Server/character transfers and now this recruit a friend deal are their deviously devious and successful ways to steal all your moneyz.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Can I get a link to the torrent?

Fizban140 on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tonight may be the first night in weeks I haven't played WAR.

I will be pushing Empire mans around a table and drinking beer, though. All is well. I'll miss you guys though. Save some tea for me.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

so, i just take out caster classes?

tyrannus on
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Tonight may be the first night in weeks I haven't played WAR.

I will be pushing Empire mans around a table and drinking beer, though. All is well. I'll miss you guys though. Save some tea for me.

How many points? I demand a full game run down when you get back!

Darkewolfe on
    edited August 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »

so, i just take out caster classes?

Well yeah, that's where you would have the most advantage since Witch Elves have crappy armor and a tank hits hard with melee attacks and can slice them up nice.

Lucky Cynic on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Have to spend time painting them? You get to. That's half the hobby.

I'm being a pedant though; I actually do understand the appeal, at least objectively. I just think they're crap and miss half the interesting part. Finishing an army is a hell of an achievement, even it takes 10+ years (like my skaven).

A Warhammer army costs as much as like 3-5 video games. I have models I've been using for upwards of twelve or thirteen years now. Doesn't mean it's for everyone, but it's not really that expensive.

Initial cost, if you want to actually play, is a high.

But I totally agree with you on painting is half the fun part, I just think we are in a minority when you look at potential customers.

That's one of their big things, really. GW is still trying to figure out how to reach into communities where they don't have stores. Because if you can get into one of their centers, they DO have programs where they loan you armies, get you started, have you spend $75 bucks, teach you to deal with that, then inch you along, spending abot $30 every 1-2 weeks, till you're all the way in. It's still not for everyone, but the programs work well enough to support the hobby. They just can't seem to get it to work in... say... the South, where they have so few centers and have to rely on independent stores to run their programs. (And independent stores never do, at least not the right way to really get those sales.)

How poorly most Rogue Trader stores are run drives me nuts. Almost every one I've ever been in might as well be somebody's basement with some shelves on the walls. You need to have passion for gaming, but you also need to have experience in retail. I spent enough time working at the mall in college (and a lot of late nights setting up displays) that I groan almost every time I walk in to an independent shop. The shelves are set up wrong, the displays don't funnel traffic properly, the gaming tables are in the wrong spots, etc etc.

If I didn't like actually making a living wage, I could run the shit out of a retail store. It's like they set the damn things up to scare away potential customers. There's a reason most hobby stores change hands so frequently, and it isn't always the instability of the hobby market. The people running them love them too much and don't treat it like a fucking retail store.

I can't count the number of times I might wander in and browse around with absolutely no attempt to sell me anything. I can pretty much always be talked in to a blister or a pack of cards or something. Shitty independent stores are killing the hobby.

zenpotato on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

rape sure is a pretty great thing to winky.

so far dok is the only class that is really standing out for me so far.

Angry on
    edited August 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »

If I didn't like actually making a living wage, I could run the shit out of a retail store. It's like they set the damn things up to scare away potential customers. There's a reason most hobby stores change hands so frequently, and it isn't always the instability of the hobby market. The people running them love them too much and don't treat it like a fucking retail store.

I can't count the number of times I might wander in and browse around with absolutely no attempt to sell me anything. I can pretty much always be talked in to a blister or a pack of cards or something. Shitty independent stores are killing the hobby.

/agree

Unfortunately, I DO enjoy putting my degree to use, and not being pissed on by customers half the time. And eating when I want to.

Darkewolfe on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I was linked to this part of a thread on my issue with not being able to download the open beta. I pre ordered the CE version of Warhammer Online and I've entered it into the master account area and the beta center and I've still not been given any way to download the open beta. Can anyone help me?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I was linked to this part of a thread on my issue with not being able to download the open beta. I pre ordered the CE version of Warhammer Online and I've entered it into the master account area and the beta center and I've still not been given any way to download the open beta. Can anyone help me?
    Open Beta files will be available for download on August 18th. PLEASE NOTE: The start date for Open Beta is still to be determined. Check back here for updates!

kaleedity on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    MYTHIC didn't put /dance in the game?

Really?

What am I going to do when i'm in the midst of all the TSM corpses?

Wake up from your dreaming, cuz you're in fantasy land.:P

Yeah, it'll be ME standing in the TSM corpses. You'll have forgotten what you were doing and run off after a butterfly, sushi.

DAMNIT!

HES FOUND MY ONE TRUE WEAKNESS!!!!

MY OVERLY DIAGNOSED, UNDERTREATED ADHD!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

i mean er

for the dwarves!

amidointhisrite?

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited August 2008
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Open Beta files will be available for download on August 18th. PLEASE NOTE: The start date for Open Beta is still to be determined. Check back here for updates!

Woh, where did you find that? Not to dispute you at all but a friend of mine was talking about how his friends are playing in open beta right now. Are they full of crap?

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lets make a new thread

wavecutter on
    edited August 2008

Woh, where did you find that? Not to dispute you at all but a friend of mine was talking about how his friends are playing in open beta right now. Are they full of crap?

They are, in fact, full of crap. Like poop. From a butt.

Darkewolfe on
    edited August 2008

Your friends are lying because if they were in the 'open beta' right now, it would be considered 'closed beta' since the NDA is still in effect.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited August 2008
    New thread is up, btw.

Darkewolfe on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

They might be in the slightly-less-closed beta, but they're definitely not in open.

admanb on
    edited August 2008
    Well this is all good to know. I thought I might be getting boned by Mythic by not being allowed into open beta. I can never find out where this info is. -_-

Stragint on

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If there's no /dance, what is that goblin walking around in circles thing then? I assumed that's what it was when I saw it.

Yougottawanna on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If there's no /dance, what is that goblin walking around in circles thing then? I assumed that's what it was when I saw it.

/special

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I honestly can't tell if hes breakdancing, or has the worst migraine ever. Possibly both.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Where can I find te beta torrent?

Fizban140 on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Given the number of people that will be wanting to dance or trying to use the emote it won't surprise me if the developers buckle and put it in, what MMO out there doesn't have dance? You know aside from EVE, besides so many people are use to it from WoW and that just says it all doesn't it. If they stick to their guns good for them, anything to say this isn't WoW is good. That said if your comfortable playing WoW then WAR is going to be familar enough.

Cade on
  • The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hmmm my head start code isn't working whats mythic's customer support email?

The Rocking M on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Where'd you get your code?

Make sure that you're not mistaking letters. There are no O or 0 in the codes but some have misprinted Qs where the tail is cut off. Also make sure you are not mistaking W (w) for VV (2 v), etc.

grrarg on
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    Given the number of people that will be wanting to dance or trying to use the emote it won't surprise me if the developers buckle and put it in, what MMO out there doesn't have dance? You know aside from EVE, besides so many people are use to it from WoW and that just says it all doesn't it. If they stick to their guns good for them, anything to say this isn't WoW is good. That said if your comfortable playing WoW then WAR is going to be familar enough.

Who in their right mind would stop playing the game if they couldn't dance...

I wouldn't want that person in WAR anyhow.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    grrarg wrote: »
    Where'd you get your code?

Make sure that you're not mistaking letters. There are no O or 0 in the codes but some have misprinted Qs where the tail is cut off. Also make sure you are not mistaking W (w) for VV (2 v), etc.

EB australia, and I have entered the code as it appears on the card both with upper case and lower case for the letters and it always comes up as invalid.

The Rocking M on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hillean wrote: »
    Cade wrote: »

Who in their right mind would stop playing the game if they couldn't dance...

I wouldn't want that person in WAR anyhow.

My thoughts exactly.

Asamof the Horrible on
This discussion has been closed.