As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bangai-O Spirits

• ItnickItnick Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Where can i buy this? Gamestop.com says no stores in my area have it, does Best Buy or any other major retailer carry it?

Itnick on
    Pyrotechnics erupt in the distance, Guitar Solo.

sig.gif
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Itnick wrote: »
    Where can i buy this? Gamestop.com says no stores in my area have it, does Best Buy or any other major retailer carry it?

My Gamestop got it today. Again, unless your store got them last night, and didn't sell them all, the store locater is useless.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I've preordered this (we get it in a fortnight). Hopefulyl lives up to the reviews.

Xagarath on
  • EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hardly ever bothered with normal shots in the DC game unless extra precision and care was absolutely necessary. (It usually isn't.)
    Yeah, it's kinda the same way on the DS. I tend to leave the auto aim on with the normal shot to clear a path through light fire to the heavy fire so I can bomb the fuck outta everything. The Bangai-O auto-targets the closest hitable projectile or enemy, and ignores unhitables. This basically means the Bangai-O won't auto-target a core until you get close enough to open the reflective cover.

Estoc on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Son of a bitch, I could never beat the final boss in the Dreamcast game. The video on the front page makes it look so goddamned easy.

I spent an entire day trying to finish that last level and got so frustrated I haven't touched the game since. :|

Captain K on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've pretty much given up on this, the controls are just so awkward I can't take it, its sad because i really want to like it, and I actually can't think of any way they could have done the controls to make them better..but they're just so bad. D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, the Play n Trade does preorders even when a game has already been released and is sold out. Hopefully one will come in next week for me...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Son of a bitch, I could never beat the final boss in the Dreamcast game. The video on the front page makes it look so goddamned easy.

I spent an entire day trying to finish that last level and got so frustrated I haven't touched the game since. :|

I don't think I actually know anyone who has beaten that final boss. I mentioned to one of my friends that Bangai-O Spirits was coming out and he replied that he'd never beaten the boss in the first one. The guy who introduced me to the game hasn't beaten the boss either. I think that video is of the only person on earth who beat the game.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I beat it. It wasn't that bad. Took 5-10 tries maybe, don't remember.

august on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    /worship

Captain K on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It isn't really that hard. It's the same strategy you always use, get the bigger counter and build momentum. Plus a bunch of luck.

august on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The trick to the final boss of the DC game is to keep your eye on his EX meter. You want to make sure that you always have at least one more missile barrage in reserves than he does so that you can counter anything he throws at you. Otherwise you have to just keep running away and dodging until you do.

Spirits has a common enemy based on that final boss, btw: Longai-O. Sometimes you have to fight several of them at once.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited August 2008
    The thing with the Longai-O is that they don't HAVE an EX meter. You gotta careful with those fuckers, since if you get in a missile-pissing contest one of those things, it's always gonna have the bigger bladder. If I have to fight one of those things, I use a Direct/Break EX setup, get the critter to burst, then dash in, counter-burst, and PRAY. I should probably try a Freeze/Direct setup now that I think about it though.
    I've pretty much given up on this, the controls are just so awkward I can't take it, its sad because i really want to like it, and I actually can't think of any way they could have done the controls to make them better..but they're just so bad. D:

o_O If I were to pick one thing that bugged the hell outta me about this game, it wouldn't be the controls. I'd complain that there aren't enough stages that completely try to beat your ass into the ground. The controls are smooth as butter. Getting stun locked? Dash through the fire to a better spot. Getting hit too much? You should of bursted already. Getting fucking owned? Try a different weapon setup, as certain weapons work wonders in the right situation.

Estoc on
    edited August 2008
    The more I hear about this the more I think I'm not going to like it. Which makes me sad because I loved Bangai-O on the Dreamcast.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    edited August 2008
    Estoc wrote: »
    The thing with the Longai-O is that they don't HAVE an EX meter. You gotta careful with those fuckers, since if you get in a missile-pissing contest one of those things, it's always gonna have the bigger bladder. If I have to fight one of those things, I use a Direct/Break EX setup, get the critter to burst, then dash in, counter-burst, and PRAY. I should probably try a Freeze/Direct setup now that I think about it though.
    Reflect > Longai-O

An almost guaranteed way to kill him is to trap him by sending him an EX volley of almost any basic shot type (homing, bounce, break, whatever) as a decoy. Right after you release that shot, start charging a Reflect EX. Longai-O will counter your first EX with an EX of his own. When he does this, immediately let go of the trigger so that your Reflect EX sends all of his missiles right back into his face. If you want to be doubly sure that he's disintegrated, use two decoy EX shots before using Reflect: you shoot a decoy EX, he counters it back with increased firepower, then you counter that (and immediately start charging Reflect), and then he counters your second shot (which should damn well make the thing 100x4 at this point), and then you let the Reflect loose. I'm pretty sure this makes the onscreen shot count skyrocket over 500, but I'm not sure because half the sprites (including the numbers) are no longer being displayed correctly at this point.

Sixfortyfive on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

o_O If I were to pick one thing that bugged the hell outta me about this game, it wouldn't be the controls. I'd complain that there aren't enough stages that completely try to beat your ass into the ground. The controls are smooth as butter. Getting stun locked? Dash through the fire to a better spot. Getting hit too much? You should of bursted already. Getting fucking owned? Try a different weapon setup, as certain weapons work wonders in the right situation.

I know all this. I still have a hard time picking the right weapons. It's not that I don't know that some are better than others... it's that I don't have fun using certain weapons, and just in my mind hate that I might need to use one of them. I almost always have the bat and shield as my main weapons. The EX I change up, but generally have Direct and Homing loaded up, unless I -need- something else.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

To me the whole aiming scheme is just fucked, how you switch between auto aim and aiming a certain diretion, double tapping to stay in one spot, it just feels like a way of artificall inflating the difficulty, which i've never been a fan of

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited August 2008
    Reflect > Longai-O and why
    This. This right here puts a smile on my face. I gotta try this.
    Shadowfire wrote:
    I know all this. I still have a hard time picking the right weapons. It's not that I don't know that some are better than others... it's that I don't have fun using certain weapons, and just in my mind hate that I might need to use one of them. I almost always have the bat and shield as my main weapons. The EX I change up, but generally have Direct and Homing loaded up, unless I -need- something else.
    Hey, if you can get by using a bat/shield setup, then don't worry about it too much. I feel really awkward using the melee weapons, and thus hardly ever use them, unless I have to.
    wrote:
    To me the whole aiming scheme is just fucked, how you switch between auto aim and aiming a certain diretion, double tapping to stay in one spot, it just feels like a way of artificall inflating the difficulty, which i've never been a fan of
    o_O You just said "artifical inflating". The regular gun is kinda secondary to the bursts in this game. Have you tried the melee weapons?

Estoc on
    edited August 2008
    Finished my first custom stage. :) Fairly simple fare.

Boss RUSH! (stage data)
    Boss RUSH! (replay data)

Sixfortyfive on
    edited August 2008

Boss RUSH! (stage data)
    Boss RUSH! (replay data)

Damnit. I had headphones on and realized what was going to happen just in time to not be able to do anything about it.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    edited August 2008
    tarnok wrote: »

Boss RUSH! (stage data)
    Boss RUSH! (replay data)

Damnit. I had headphones on and realized what was going to happen just in time to not be able to do anything about it.

11i_that_really_was_painful.jpg

Sixfortyfive on
    edited August 2008
    Well poop, how loud does a headphone set have to be for the game to pick it up? I got my headphones full volume but the game says it's too low. :|

Estoc on
  • KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Finally was able to get this today!

I played the first stage ("Face" I think) on other stages and... got ran into the ground probably about 60 times straight.

I'm going to come back tomorrow when my brain isn't melted.

Best portable game I've played yet, I think.

Kiwistrike on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tarnok wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »

I don't think I actually know anyone who has beaten that final boss. I mentioned to one of my friends that Bangai-O Spirits was coming out and he replied that he'd never beaten the boss in the first one. The guy who introduced me to the game hasn't beaten the boss either. I think that video is of the only person on earth who beat the game.

The phrase is "fuck him and his fucking invincibility shield". It comes completely out of the blue and totally destroyed my second attempt at taking him out. In the end it's all about teasing out his super at the right distance so you can EX back at him.

The ending set of cartoons are hilarious, especially as they go by so fast you can't read them unless you video tape them.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, that guy was some bastard. I managed to beat the fucker through sheer luck, and just a little hardheadedness...

Could someone post the text of the Dreamcast ending? At the time, i didn't have the setup to record it, and would love to know what was actually being said.

DusT_HounD on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Could someone post the text of the Dreamcast ending? At the time, i didn't have the setup to record it, and would love to know what was actually being said.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/file/196683/11465

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aha ha hah... egh, yeah- i guess i should have checked on GameFAQs...

Thanks Al!

DusT_HounD on
    edited August 2008
    Well poop, how loud does a headphone set have to be for the game to pick it up? I got my headphones full volume but the game says it's too low. :|
    Make sure that the speaker/headphone is right next to the mic as well.
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Yeah, that guy was some bastard. I managed to beat the fucker through sheer luck, and just a little hardheadedness...

end01.jpg
    end02.jpg
    end03.jpg
    end04.jpg
    end05.jpg
    end06.jpg
    end07.jpg
    end08.jpg
    end09.jpg
    end10.jpg
    end11.jpg
    end12.jpg
    end13.jpg
    end14.jpg
    end15.jpg

Sixfortyfive on
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I actually like this game, I was somewhat put off by the complaints earlier.

So yeah, some of the control scheme is a little weird. I was a little weirded out by the aiming bit. Some of it makese sense to me... i mean, I fly the way I'm aiming is somewhat normal to me. But the double tapping isn't quite what I had in mind. I guess I would've preferred to toggle firing on and off or something. Tap once to just constantly fire. And hold down to lock my guy in place and then allow me to freely aim as if i had myself a sentry gun or something.

Besides the aiming, which I am getting used to, I like it. Sure the stages require me to finagle a bit with what weapon combinations to use, it's still great. I'd like to try out one of the custom stages someone put together, but I'm at work. :(

Arminas on
    edited August 2008
    Bounce+Break will do you well for just about all the stages. Bounce is especially good in cramped alleyways (as it was in the original game as well). I switch out for Napalm if I have to deal with several NinjaBots and make sure to pack a Reflect EX for any Longai-O.

Sixfortyfive on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't remember the specifics, but I did beat the original final boss, somehow.

I grabbed Spirits today, but that just adds it to the backlog with EOII/FFIV/Trauma Center II. :|

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So here I am... in Bangai-O. There's no backstory from what I understand of the game. i did the tutorial and now I'm playing the "Treasure's Best" but I don't know how to beat Stage 8 "Just Go For It!" this big bog is totally kicking my ass :(

Never mind, you do just...go... for it. Heh.

Instead, I'm stuck on 11 now. But screw it, i'm going to bed.

Arminas on
  • SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My only fault with this game is that I find that the EX gauge sometimes makes things too easy. Stuck on a level? Nothing a full charge of break + homing cant beat! Not to mention the multiplier bonus if there's tons of missiles coming at you (Which there always are).

That being said however, does anyone have a link to the official site that hosts level sound files? For the first time in my life google has failed me D:

EDIT!

Another first, youtube comments prove useful!? Wtf is up with today?
    http://www.esp-web.co.jp/products/bangai-o/special_download.html

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    The contest winner stages are here. Most of them are pretty good.

Sixfortyfive on
  • CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I suck at this game. I can't beat the final tutorial stage. :P

I am determined to get better, dammit!

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I suck at this game. I can't beat the final tutorial stage. :P

I am determined to get better, dammit!

I can't beat it, either. :( I think I just don't get this game.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why does freeze not freeze all missiles but just some of them?

cytorak on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I already traded this game, but HOW DO YOU BEAT REALLY LARGE ROBOTS.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Woo! People are talking about this game again!

I just bought it at the TRU sale so I'm digging into it right now. Love it so far. But levels are just tough as nails, and/or I cannot figure out the "trick" to some of them...

cytorak wrote: »
    Why does freeze not freeze all missiles but just some of them?

I never use freeze... Maybe it only freezes within a certain vicinity? Not sure.

Cantido wrote: »
    I already traded this game, but HOW DO YOU BEAT REALLY LARGE ROBOTS.

Poo on you for trading this game back.

The really large robots? Which ones? The ones with swords? Easy. Just circle around them, shooting them in the ass where they can't hit you with the sword. It's a snap.

slash000 on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why can't they just remake the DC bangai-O and release it with new levels on psn/live/wiiware? /me shakes fist

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.