As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Week's Moments: August 13, 2008

1235»

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Speaking of which, Huston's run on MK was awesome. Even the last arc which he only helped plot was pretty neat. But I'm a big fan of introspection in my writing. Which is why most of my comic ideas blow.

Crimsondude on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Now wait you can't say the whole run was awesome, the second half of the second arc sucked
    But!
    The Bottom is one of the best intro arcs I've read
    The first issue is probably one of my favorite comics

Me Too! on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    i have been tearing my apartment apart looking for my trade of the first moon knight arc. i've been wanting to reread it since the second one came out but i cannot fucking find it. i know i didn't loan it to anyone, because nobody i know gives a shit about moon knight, so presumably it's being hidden to teach me a lesson? from khonshu?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2008
    You know what you have to do then...

Crimsondude on
  • The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I'm a longtime lurker....
    A gazer upon huge-ish scans of comics that I don't read or don't know about.
    And I live vicariously through you people who have time and money to read new comics.

I felt that I needed to bring something up about the Punisher MAX series.

The different art styles for the Punisher kinda trip me up.

I really fell in love with the first story arc of the MAX series. The Punisher when drawn as an old, scarred, bulldog looking maniac is my favorite. The other style, mostly in the Barracuda issues, really doesn't appeal to me.

Has this been discussed at all ?

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Now wait you can't say the whole run was awesome, the second half of the second arc sucked
    But!

Seriously. You can really tell it was originally just going to be a six-issue mini.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And I live vicariously through you people who have time and money to read new comics.

I really fell in love with the first story arc of the MAX series. The Punisher when drawn as an old, scarred, bulldog looking maniac is my favorite. The other style, mostly in the Barracuda issues, really doesn't appeal to me.

I'm sure it has. I can generally ignore art I don't like if the story was good. Thankfully that was one of those times, because yeah, I prefer the other artist (or two?) that did Max. That last Barracuda story had the worst art in my opinion, but it still did the job. I didn't hate it, the rest was just better.

I'm just glad Max wasn't Steve Dillon. I like his stuff, and he and Ennis work well together, but I associate it with Preacher too much. Especially since every bald guy looks like Starr and he draws Punisher like a beefy Jesse Custer who combs his hair.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited August 2008
    But!

Seriously. You can really tell it was originally just going to be a six-issue mini.

I didn't know that at all, and I never got that impression from the book
    Even the beginning of the second arc was good. It was when there were four different stories, taking place at four different times, going on that it wasn't as god
    And then God And Country redeemed it with Black Specter, mainly because Black Specter was an incredible badass when he first showed up

Me Too! on
    edited August 2008
    Zampanov wrote: »

I'm sure it has. I can generally ignore art I don't like if the story was good. Thankfully that was one of those times, because yeah, I prefer the other artist (or two?) that did Max. That last Barracuda story had the worst art in my opinion, but it still did the job. I didn't hate it, the rest was just better.

I'm just glad Max wasn't Steve Dillon. I like his stuff, and he and Ennis work well together, but I associate it with Preacher too much. Especially since every bald guy looks like Starr and he draws Punisher like a beefy Jesse Custer who combs his hair.

Try three or four
    Leandro Fernandez did more arcs than anybody, four I think, Parlov did three, and there were a couple of other guys in between
    I liked Parlov's work, the unrealistic, almost cartoonish art was a nice contrast to the intense bloodshed

EDIT I don't think Bradstreet is sticking around on covers, which makes me sad
    I like his work a lot

Me Too! on
  • The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zampanov wrote: »

Try three or four
    Leandro Fernandez did more arcs than anybody, four I think, Parlov did three, and there were a couple of other guys in between
    I liked Parlov's work, the unrealistic, almost cartoonish art was a nice contrast to the intense bloodshed

I like his work a lot

My favorite artist was from the first run, Lewis Larosa. Just a crusty looking old badass Frank Castle. Fernandez was pretty good too, although he seemed to drop Frank down to about 10 years younger.

Bradstreet's covers are legendary.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know there are people dropping the book now that Ennis is leaving
    But I think I'm going to at least ride out the next three arcs
    Get the short, crime novelist stories out of the way, see who they get as a full-timer after that
    Have they said anything about that by the way?

Man, three arcs? You're a generous man. I'll wait and see what the next couple of issues are like, which is as long as I gave ASB&R. But to be honest, however good they are, I suspect I'll just be looking forward to the next Ennis run, however long I have to wait.

natxcross on
    edited August 2008
    The next three arcs are like three issues each, they're short
    And it's a different writer every arc
    So if you don't like one, just wait a couple months and you'll get a new one

Me Too! on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I mentioned Golly! as my MOTW earlier, I've got a review up if anyone wants it spoiled a bit for them. (not trying to shill our site, but it was a REALLY good comic)

Here

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Late MOTW from Freak Angels
    "Arkady? You there?"
    "I CAN HAS VODKA"
    "Arkady, No!"

Lux on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I like his work a lot

while i agree that bradstreet's punisher covers are awesome, how many more variations of "frank with a gun" could he possibly have up his sleeve?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    But!

I didn't know that at all, and I never got that impression from the book
    Even the beginning of the second arc was good. It was when there were four different stories, taking place at four different times, going on that it wasn't as god
    And then God And Country redeemed it with Black Specter, mainly because Black Specter was an incredible badass when he first showed up

I found The Bottom confusing as hell, but maybe that was just because I wasn't familiar with Moon Knight before I read it. Once I'd read through it a couple of times I loved it. Huston taking over Punisher would be pretty cool. If it was Brubaker then I too might very well shit myself.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited August 2008
    I think God And Country had my favorite page, ever, though
    The one where the Profile looks at Marc, and they show exactly what he sees

Me Too! on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This weeks The Walking Dead is pretty depressing, predictable but still depressing.

Cade on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    This weeks The Walking Dead is pretty depressing, predictable but still depressing.

I really like where he's going with it. I like seeing how drastically Rick is changing as the series goes on. Kirkman is a rare comic writer in that he keeps my interest and enjoyment as consistent as possible. He's a great storyteller.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Someone should redesign his costume. It's silly.
    I think it's a part of why some people don't use him alot these days.

Kang's look was fine for his day but unlike someone like Doom, he doesn't look cool anymore, he just looks pretty stupid/retarded.

I'm also going to go ahead and throw in Molly's "PRINCESS POWERFUL POWERS ACTIVATE!" as my MOTW while I'm in the middle of slandering rusty old beloved comic book villians.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited August 2008
    I think God And Country had my favorite page, ever, though
    The one where the Profile looks at Marc, and they show exactly what he sees

How The Profile sees Marc Spector:
    moonknight12p13cu8.th.jpg

Reposted from the 2-6-08 MotW thread

Crimsondude on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wiggins, you were right about TRANSHUMAN. That makes you two for two.

So improbable.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    What was the first one?

Me Too! on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually the Spector profile page was from issue 12 which was before the God and Country arc which started at issue 14. BTW, although I agree that issues 7-12 of Moon Knight were incomprehensible messes, I thought issue 13 and the annual were pretty badass.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited August 2008
    Boy is my face red
    Yeah, that second arc was incomprehensible bullshit
    But as soon as it ended, it kicked into awesome mode. #13 actually gave me chills
    It's got a new writer this week, gotta wait and see how that goes

Me Too! on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The second tpb of Moon Knight, which collects 7-13+annual, is only 15 bucks which is odd considering the amount of content. Maybe even Marvel realized it wasn't worth over that amount.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh hey I think it was in this thread that someone asked which "Victor" they were referring to X-Men: Secret Invasion, and the answer is Anole

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    whoops wrong thread

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    More like Balefago

Me Too! on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The second arc of Huston's Moon Knight was Midnight Sun, right? I skimmed through it, didn't seem that bad. It's everything written after he left that I didn't like as much personally.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited August 2008
    Pretty sure Huston wrote the third arc, too
    But yeah Midnight Sun was nothing short of terrible
    Maybe if they hadn't tried to tell four stories at once and out of order, it would've been better

Me Too! on
    edited August 2008
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Someone should redesign his costume. It's silly.

I'm also going to go ahead and throw in Molly's "PRINCESS POWERFUL POWERS ACTIVATE!" as my MOTW while I'm in the middle of slandering rusty old beloved comic book villians.

Yes, this was awesome. Molly is great.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif