As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

grand central orikae - Astro Zombies finished, p 8

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
I now use this thread to post about my current projects, paintings, drawings, and otherwise. Please refer to the latest page in the thread, or the page mentioned in the thread title, to see my latest project. My previous OP is below.
so after doing a couple of iScribbles with mully and chicoblue, as well as watching Rankenphile's progress, i have resolved to draw/paint every day until i'm satisfied with my abilities. that will likely be never, so i'll be doing this for a while.

first: some recent stuff and old stuff. then: loomis studies.

RECENT NON-LOOMIS STUFF

here's a picture of the joker that i did, i'm quite proud of it
joker.jpg

me, chicoblue and rane (i'm on the left)
me_rane_chico_july_28_08.png

OLD STUFF

some selfportraits that i did a few months ago.
n122702093_32733278_4790.jpg

my entry into the recent SE++ forum battle
battle1.jpg
battle2.jpg
battle3.jpg

and a large portrait of GG Allin that i did. i'd just watched some math specials, so it's done as if it were a continuous space - cut it in half and put the left and right ends together, and it'll form a contiguous portrait.
1129071104.jpg

LOOMIS STUFF

i'm working through Figure Drawing for All It's Worth - right now I'm focusing on proportion, mass, weight, action, etc since those are my major major weaknesses in figure drawing. eventually i'll graduate to musculature, rendering, perspective, etc.

basically i'm going along with the book.

so today's drawings: proportion studies, mannequins, and gestural weight.

August 12, 2008
proportion.jpg

i couldn't figure out what was up with the woman, until I realized that i drew her with a male rib cage/shoulders. i'll do some more female proportion later today and tomorrow.

legs-1.jpg
This is loomis' 'stuff to make your leg look convincing' page.

saucymannequins.jpg
i have a lot of trouble figuring out which way to do the disc/hip arrangement - i'm assuming this'll come with practice, but can anyone point out a consistent thing i'm doing wrong?

chattymannequins.jpg
i'm quite proud of these. i've only been reading and practicing loomis for a few days (those sketches aren't pictured, because they suck) and already i'm seeing improvement.

so yeah. watch this space, because i should be posting many more sketches.

Orikaeshigitae on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cool! Can't wait to see more of your stuff! Can't say I have anything constructive to say, just keep at it! Also, why is the joker done on a Chinese info sheet? Is this why you joined my Chinese Group on facebook?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    dude why didn't you show me that fucking gg thing before?

dick

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cool! Can't wait to see more of your stuff! Can't say I have anything constructive to say, just keep at it! Also, why is the joker done on a Chinese info sheet? Is this why you joined my Chinese Group on facebook?

well you did invite me

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    no I ain't never seen it

you showed me the pencil sketch you did but never that big one up there

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    oh well in that case i never showed it to you because i thought i already did

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    so I reiterate

dick

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Loomis' book is pretty good. I improve noticeably pretty much every time I try to draw one of the mannequins.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

well you did invite me

i realized i never answered this question

i bought a chinese diary at a dollar store because i thought it looked cool, and then i couldn't find my sketchbook

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    august 13:

i'm teaching myself to paint digitally, currently i'm inking

it's a paladin fighting skeleton mages from d2

but here are the pencils:

diablo_paladin_back_aug13.jpg

and, just for laughs, here's the inks so far

inks_aug13.jpg

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    and yeah, the sword is fucked

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    tonight's stuff (not sketches)

askmeaboutloom_frontcopy.png

t-shirt_inverted.png

t-shirt designs. only the LOOM one is getting printed, but hey, it's good practice with paths and Illustrator's brush shit.

the loom one's not even original, but the button design is pretty generic to being with, so whatever. path practice.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Loom, West Virginia?

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    loomadvertisementinmonkha5.jpg

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Reduce the transparency on the pencil layer to make it gray and it'll be much easier.

MKR on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Loom was a really good game!

bombardier on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From the looks of your pencil work, you're coming along pretty well. My biggest suggestion to you is one I used to get all the time; use darker darks. They help your overall picture pop out and draw your attention to it. The joker, for one, would love to have some dark darks. Right now, there isn't a whole lot of depth to him and that will be one great way of changing that.

Also, I really like the GG Allen one. I'm a fan of art that looks like graffiti that is done without annoying the neighbors if you catch my drift lol.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    not a lot of progress today. inked the other hand and the helmet of the paladin. i think i'm being too anal about inks, they take me forever.

t MKR: thanks, that tip really helped.

t Nap: Thanks - yeah, that's a consistent tip that I really need to apply. Tomorrow I'll do a sketch or something and try and get it done. Thanks re: GG Allin.

t bombsy: IT TOTALLY WAS

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i am posting to remind myself that a dude wants a loom shirt.

if you want one, post to let me know, because runs of 6 or 8 are a little cheaper for me to print than one at a time. i'll be doing another design for this shirt - this one isn't original because i was just using it for my own stuff, but that'll change.

plus i want to do another one anyway

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

well you did invite me

i realized i never answered this question

i bought a chinese diary at a dollar store because i thought it looked cool, and then i couldn't find my sketchbook

Ohhh... here I was all excited, thinking you were into Chinese... *sigh*

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    some of the engrish is hilarious, because it's a business organizer

'balance last rear forward'

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    not a lot of progress today. inked the other hand and the helmet of the paladin. i think i'm being too anal about inks, they take me forever.

t MKR: thanks, that tip really helped.

t Nap: Thanks - yeah, that's a consistent tip that I really need to apply. Tomorrow I'll do a sketch or something and try and get it done. Thanks re: GG Allin.

t bombsy: IT TOTALLY WAS

Yay, I said something useful.

:D

MKR on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    today i did some colour and perspective stuff.

iscribble_cptmango_orikae.png
    skeleton_isketch_study.png

and the same as the above, with a man ejaculating. NSFW.

i'm happiest with the superman, mainly because it actually was fun and i can see the improvement brought about by Loomis.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    My shirts arrived, they are awesome. I'll post a picture of mine when i get ahold of a camera. also, did some gestural balance studies today, i'll scan them tomorrow.

i feel like i'm really not getting anywhere, but i've only been doing this for around a week, so i'll just keep at it

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    today: another shirt design, this one a homage to grim fandango

claveratee_withbutton_ontemplate.png

on the back, below the neck

backcopy.png

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    that one, or this one?

calavera_tee_noarms.png

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Second one - omission of the arm is a wise choice for the body on body design, plus the cut edges have a quirkier shape that can more easily be associated with Calavera.

The world needs more Grim Fandango merchandise.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I never played grim fandango......it's a blight on my otherwise stellar game playing career.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    thanks, guys! thanks also to trillian, who deleted her post for some reason before i could respond to it.

i think no arms is the way to go, if only because it makes the visual a lot easier to grasp - as you said, tripwire.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    and it's printed.

thoughts?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    just updating this.

cthulhu stuff:
    ia_ia_smallcopy_3.png

mountains_of_madness.jpg

logo stuff:
    borndead.jpg

borndead_ver2copy.jpg

opencanvas stuff: (i'm on the left)
    skydivingpunk.jpg

beav_n_orik_2008-9-28-1.jpg

beav_n_orik2008-9-29-0.jpg

and the current thing, a black and white self-portrait:
    selfportrait_sep28copy.jpg

selfportrait_sep29_2copy.jpg

i'm really trying to work on my painting/illustration skills here. i'm still working on the portrait.

nothing here is really finished. i should work on that.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    good, old-fashioned pencils:

self-portrait_oct1copy.jpg

scanning really brings out the lines, doesn't it

also, looking at it, i need to focus more on other areas - i was trying to do the eyes especially, but the side of the face is relatively unconsidered

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    I think you need to take a step back and really take it easy and slow with your observations. A lot of your work seems pretty rushed. While that's ok for getting proportions and contours down, it's not ok for shading. You can se how hard and fast your pencil strokes are and that's going to give you problems when trying to get subtle and sharp values. Your self portrait paintings way back are more along the lines of good observation. They have clear shapes and you can see a bit of that in the OC self portrait too. I'd suggest doing some smaller but more involved observation pieces. Do just an eye, nose, mouth, ear, or hand. It looks like you're getting impatient with the portrait as a whole and it's coming off rushed.

Specific things in the latest one, the contour of your nose, you don't actually have a line like that on the edge of your nose. You have the contrast between values of your nose and cheek, but there is nothing on your cheek at all, just white. That could be ok, but your nose is also white on the tip aside from the contour. How were you able to see that contour there anyways? There is a difference of values obviously, but you're not showing that here.

bombardier on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd give you crits like you asked for in the chat thread...but I think bombs and AoB pretty much summed up what I would say. The random/harsh way that you're shading is really the most obvious problem, right now.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Orikae, I think you should spend some time doing a long grid study. You will learn a *lot* about markmaking and rendering with pencils, or digitally you will learn a lot about photoshop brushes and painterly rendering, as well as general accuracy and observation.

I've lost track how many times I'm recommended this to people and nobody has yet to actually do one, but I still think It would help you a lot.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am completely willing and able to do that. The next three days are Art Days.

However, I don't know what the hell that is.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Brief summary on grid drawing:

1. Get a photo.
    2. Draw a grid on it; not too small, but not huge either. (You can also draw a grid on a window/sheet of plastic, or make one out of wires and use this method with live subjects, you just have to be able to keep your head really still for long periods of time.)
    3. Get a piece of paper. Draw the a grid on it, with the same number of squares per side as the photo grid. (The photo and drawing don't have to be the same scale for this to work- in fact, this is also a good method for upscaling study drawings to larger final paintings and such.)
    4. By paying close attention to where the contours on the photo intersect the grid lines and the negative space, you can map out the contours with much more precision than just eyeballing the whole subject at once.
    5. With the contours done, you can move on to shading. By looking at each individual grid square on the photo one at a time, you can hammer down on the actual tones that appear rather than the ones you think would be there (ie: shadow=black! light = white!).

Here's another attempt to explain it, which is half-assed but at least it has pictures.
    http://drawsketch.about.com/od/drawinglessonsandtips/ss/griddrawing.htm

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Decide whether you want to work in pencil or digitally. Pencil will take much longer most likely.

Follow these steps

-Find a high quality reference portrait with a full range of values and good balance between light and dark. Portraiture works good for this exercise since inaccuracies are very easy to spot on the human face, and you will be working on a subject where habitual "symbolizing" is pretty common but in a situation where you will be forced to observe. Convert reference to grayscale if it isn't already

-If working in

Pencil: Print out the reference as big as you can, and get some decent quality working paper for the actual drawing that is the same aspect ratio, or find paper that is close enough and draw a frame so that the working area within the frame will be the same aspect ratio as the printed reference.

Digitally: Open a new document with the same aspect ratio as your reference image. The easiest way to do this is to open the reference and right click the frame and duplicate it, raising the resolution as necessary since you will probably want to work at higher resolution than the reference. I find working at twice the pixel size of the ref to work best, unless the ref is super high rez.

-Assemble a grid of squares covering the entire surface of your reference. The finer the grid, the more accurate the drawing will be. How fine is up to you. If you print the reference on a standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper 1" squares would be a reasonable size. Feel free to go smaller if you're up to it. In photoshop, you can build a grid on your reference easily by turning the ruler on and adding horizontal and verical guides to form squares. Duplicate this grid, keeping the sizes relative of course, on your new working surface/document.

-You're ready to begin. Start with the contour. Go slowly. Your every fiber of being should be focused on getting the shapes down as accurately as possible. The idea of the grid is that you break the drawing down into tiny bits and you only need to worry about one square at a time. If you get all the squares right the whole image ends up accurate. Stand back/zoom out frequently to make sure things match your reference. Spending extra time in this first step to get it right will save you lots of time in wasted rendering later if you made a mistake and something needs to be redone.

-Render render render. Working in photoshop is basically a battle of attrition. Regardless of medium your goal is to judge values as best you can and replicate them. Your goal is to produce an accurate form that DOES NOT DEPEND ON LINE, and instead reads entirely based on a contrast of values.

Pencils are a bit tricky here. Your darkest possible value you can get out of your graphite should correspond to the blacks on your reference. I do not recommend 'smudging' techniques, or using mechanical pencils except in areas that require very delicate work (if you feel the need to use them). Be mindful of where your hand is and what it's resting on. It's a good idea to have a sheet of paper or some kind of buffer between your hand and the working surface to prevent your palm from smudging around work you've already done. Smudging will probably still occur regardless, so clean diligently with your eraser of choice where necessary.

-Your final outcome should ideally be a photorealistic (or as best as you can muster) copy of your reference. It's gonna take a while.

edit: beat'd by Bacon, but yeah, between our two posts you should have more than enough to get started.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    awesome! that'll be my first order of business tomorrow.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    I never played grim fandango......it's a blight on my otherwise stellar game playing career.

You know.. I own this game and yet have never played it...

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    what the fuck is wrong with you people?

Orikaeshigitae on