As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Robin, of Batman and Robin

Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with ragefrom a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2009 in Graphic Violence
Mistaken by many as some homo-erotic Freudian construct, the character of Robin actually fills a vital role in the Gotham scene.

Back when the first Robin came onto the picture, Bruce Wayne was starting to feel the effects of his years-long war on crime in Gotham. In police departments, detectives get rotated trough departments occasionally to prevent PTSD from setting in and generally ruining the life of the cop, but Batman had no such aid. Several years had gone by and he was seeing the worst a city of seven million could offer on a nightly basis.

Dick Grayson Started the Robin gig with motivations much the same as Bruce Wayne: dead parrents and a drive to make good on the situation. His brightly colored uniform, while seeming daft to us in 2008, was much more readily accepted in 1940 when the character first appeared. His reason for choosing the colors was that he wore them as a member of the Flying Graysons, and it was a way to remember the family he had lost.

Eventually Grayson and Wayne grew apart. As Grayson entered into the years where he would be attending college, he and Bruce increasingly disagreed on a number of things, eventually leading up to him putting away the Robin duds (and his partnership with Batman) and creating the Nightwing identity.

Some time passes and Jason Todd jacks the wheels off of the Batmoble. Bruce sees another chance to train a partner in his quest to set right the streets of Gotham, and once again sets out to train a partner. Jason however, is much different a temperament than Dick was, and increasingly has disagreements with Bruce (and Barbara Gordon, acting as Batgirl at the time) over proper applications of force. This leads up to his death at the hands of the Joker.

Batman goes into a more depressive mindset at this point, and his nightly forays into the Gotham underbelly result in a much higher frequency of personal injury. This attracted the attention of Tim Drake, who had figured out the identity of Batman (and both previous Robins) since he was present on the day that the elder Graysons fell to their deaths in the big top.

Tim confronts Dick about Batman needing a Robin, and Grayson agrees, to a point. However, he is the first to say that his days as Robin are over; he has outgrown the role. He and Bruce come to an agreement over it though, and Bruce offers to train Tim to fill the boots.

The Role of Robin seems to be one of omens and Doom however: Dick lost his parents to mobster sabotage, Jason was an Orphan of sorts as well, only coming to find his mother again right before he died. Tim seemed to be doing fine at first, but while he was training for the Robin role his parents were abducted by a voodoo practitioner on a trip out of the country, resulting in the death of his mother and the near fatal incapacitation of his father.

Cruel fate wasn't done with Robin ether. It finished what it started during the War Games story arc, killing his father Girlfriend (well, not really but no one bothered to tell him) and leaving his step-mother in a bad state. And once again, Fate stepped firmly on him when his step-mother died during the destruction of the city of Bloodhaven.

In the current issue, Tim has been adopted by Bruce Wayne much as Jason Todd was, and is mired in emotional turmoil. Bruce seems to be mad, Nightwing is missing, Stephanie Brown is back from the dead (after over a year hiding with Leslie Thompkins in Africa). Death has visited him again, having lost his best friend Conner Kent (Superboy) during the crisis.

Not quite sure what is in store for Robin in the coming issues, but DC implies that it will be a major turning point for the character.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
Just_Bri_Thanks on

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

KEITH

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I had to make the post just to see his response.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mistaken by many as some homo-erotic Freudian construct, the character of Robin actually fills a vital role in the Gotham scene.
    Can't he be both?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    That is Shiva and Black Canary's lines.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I had to make the post just to see his response.

it's a nice summary for people who don't want to read wikipedia?

the bat-thread covers robin well enough

sorry!

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    Man, I am disappointed now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Robin is one of the main reasons I could never read Batman.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    because you're dumb

Garlic Bread on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't understand this statement. The first Robin had a great career leading the Titans and working with Batman then he became Nightwing (my favorite character!!). The second Robin was involved in one of Batman's biggest character defining moments. The third one probably has more potential than the first two so I fail to see how such a cool character could 'prevent' you from reading.

ZombieAsuma on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Not to mention Carrie (Robin, Cat Girl) from Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Stikes Again might be the coolest Robin of them all.

Lucascraft on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes, and the Aztek Batman that appeared in one panel of INFINITE CRISIS is the coolest Batman of all.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    robin is a fag

Tube on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's a "father Girlfriend"?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited August 2008

I don't understand this statement. The first Robin had a great career leading the Titans and working with Batman then he became Nightwing (my favorite character!!). The second Robin was involved in one of Batman's biggest character defining moments. The third one probably has more potential than the first two so I fail to see how such a cool character could 'prevent' you from reading.

Let's see....
    First of all, I've never liked the idea of teenage/child sidekicks at all. The idea of a 12 year old beating the shit out of a musclebound criminal, no matter how badass the 12 year old is, is ridiculous to me.
    Second, he dresses like a circus performer. There's no reason for his costume being that gay besides the fact that he's a gymnast.

Basically, Robin is the little skinny guy from Blades of Fury fighting crime.

Not my cup of tea.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    New Robin costume is neato.

TeenTitansOYL1.jpg

And old Robin costume was a circus outfit because Robin belonged to the circus.

As for the logic of it, it's a fucking comic that dates back to the '40s. Most of the underlying concepts are hokey.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    First of all, I've never liked the idea of teenage/child sidekicks at all. The idea of a 12 year old beating the shit out of a musclebound criminal, no matter how badass the 12 year old is, is ridiculous to me.

No more ridiculous than any other given comic book character.
    Second, he dresses like a circus performer. There's no reason for his costume being that gay besides the fact that he's a gymnast.

He dressed that way because: a) he was a circus performer and b) he was designed in the 1940's. There have been multiple Robins with different costumes after him.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    New Robin costume is neato.

TeenTitansOYL1.jpg

And old Robin costume was a circus outfit because Robin belonged to the circus.

As for the logic of it, it's a fucking comic that dates back to the '40s. Most of the underlying concepts are hokey.

That's basically what I'm saying. My knowledge of Batman and Robin in the 80's was the TV show. I didn't even know the comic book wasn't like that anymore until Tim Burton's Batman. His old circus performer outfit, the fact that he's a little kid, it's all based off of old ideas that I've never liked. And I never read it so I don't get nostalgic.

The Dark Hillbilly on
    edited August 2008
    robin is a fag

i wonder who came up with this post for you

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    anyone ever tell you how creepy your obsession with a pubescent boy wearing tiny little pants is

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    he's so limber

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    i can relate to someone who's been around for 40 years and not aged a day past 12

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    Robin has a soul

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    Looks like someone's just jealous that they'll eventually wither away

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    Pictures linked for bigness:

Robin from #3 of the monthly, cover dated Feb 94

http://www.pacams.com/images/Robin_04.jpg

Robin from #175 of the monthly, cover dated Aug 08

http://www.pacams.com/images/Robin_08.jpg

( I edited the word bubble in the later pic, it was spoilery )

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    That first one is February '94, not '04

Garlic Bread on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I prefer the Neal Adams Robin costume (ie the original Tim Drake costume, not the Earth-2 Dick Grayson costume).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Typo

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    I like the original Tim Drake costume except for the belt. And sometimes artists would draw the sleeves too baggy. But I love the black/yellow cape.

I just noticed that in the second picture Bri posted (of the current Robin costume) that the artist didn't draw the scallops on his cape. I'll have to check if it was just for that picture or the whole issue. I like the art on the current storyline, it reminds me a lot of the older (mid-90s) Robin art. But Chris Batista was awesome and it sucks that he left the book with Dixon.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    Typo

on both the file name and your post?

just admit that you're new to this business so I can feel superior

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Typo

on both the file name and your post?

just admit that you're new to this business so I can feel superior

Typo in the file name, and then when I made the post I followed the file name's lead. I have been up for about 30 minutes, let me get some more caffeine into my system.

Edit: You are going to feel superior anyway, why hold out for the pretext of an excuse?

Further edit: It was the whole issue, but not the issue previous.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    Further edit: It was the whole issue, but not the issue previous.

Well yeah, that picture's from #175, with art by Joe Bennett. #174 was by Chris Batista

Garlic Bread on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wait I thought Tim was 18?

I mean, he might look 12 in detective comics but I was fairly certain he was and had been for several years, an eighteen year old

initiatefailure on
    edited August 2008
    he's around 18, yeah

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    So Robin is really freaking angry at Spoiler, and I am wondering where they are going to go with it. I think any potential relationship with Zo is doomed, and I am not sure if he would either try to patch things up with Steph or pursue Cassie over in California.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    I bet Zo disappears from the scene altogether now that Dixon is gone.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    Zoanne was created by Adam Beechan, not Dixon

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    I agree that Zo should fade out. Tim hates laying to people about his activities, and if he stays with Zo he is in for a rough time of it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    I like Zoanne, but I like Stephanie more.

They just need to give Wonder Girl a boyfriend so shitty writers stop having Tim hook up with her when he's got two girls in his own book already

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    Editorial really dropped the ball on that one.

Edit: Although I have to admit, Tim falling asleep on a Roller coaster was pretty funny.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Zoanne was created by Adam Beechan, not Dixon

Yeah, I just meant that the huge change in creative direction indicated by Dixon leaving the title probably means the love interest isn't going to weather the storm either.

Robos A Go Go on