As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arkham Horror- The game of Lovecraftian Adventure! - Worth it?

No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To FearBut Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Critical Failures
Hello lads and ladies!

Today I'd like to talk about a little game from Fantasy Flight Games, Richard Launius, and Kevin Wilson. The game which is based on H.P. Lovecraft's "Cthulu" series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulu_mythos is called Arkham Horror, and is apparently pretty awesome.

600px-Arkham_Horror_revised_box.png

Overview stolen from Wikipedia:
The game board is made up of locations in Lovecraft's fictional city of Arkham during 1926. Street, building and outdoor locations are featured, as well as otherworldly locations that investigators can venture into. Players each have an investigator, represented by a character card, several attributes, and cards representing rare and common items, spells, and other things. As game play progresses, gates to these other worlds open and are represented by tokens placed on the board. Monsters from the other worlds enter through the gates and wander the city. The investigators travel through the city, avoiding or fighting the monsters, visiting city locations to acquire tools, and ultimately entering the gates. After traveling through the other world and returning, the investigator can try to close and seal the gate. While exploring city locations or other worlds, the investigators face random challenges and benefits. As gates open, a "Doom Track" advances; if it reaches the end, a powerful alien creature breaks through into Arkham. In the 1987 edition of the game, this ends the game in failure for the players. In the 2005 edition, this (in most cases) begins an endgame in which the players have a small chance to defeat the creature and win; otherwise they lose.

Several expansions have been made which add more features, or even new areas to the town, that Lovecraft fans will recognize such as Dunwich and Kingsport.

I'd done a few searches on the forum and found cursory mentions- all positive, and wanted to hear a few in-depth opinions from other forumers about the game. Gameplay experiences are welcomes and encouraged. I've read the Rulebooks provided on the Arkham Horror website, as well as looked at the reviews and artwork (which is all awesome) and I have to say I'm pretty enthused about picking this up when I receive some extra coin.

Provided are links to the Wikipedia page, and the Arkham Horror website. There you can find overviews of the game, a few reviews, and even the manuals for the Core game and it's expansions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkham_horror
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/arkhamhorror.html

So without further ado, Penny Arcade DISCUSS!

No-Quarter on

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    love me some lovecraft

mmm

MikeMan on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did someone light the Arkham-signal?

I think they did!

Arkham Horror is an amazing co-op game with a few glaring flaws. First of all, the rules aren't simple. Your first few games are going to have a lot of errors.

Probably the biggest thing you'll notice is that there are a LOT of components. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to set up when demoing for newbies. Also, the game itself takes a while to play, but once you get into the swing of things it moves quite quickly.

The game can be played with 1-8 players(yes, you can do it solo) but it balances best with between three and six players, and can be very very very hard with fewer, or a walk in the park with more.

So, getting down to brass tacks, the goal of the game is to defeat the Ancient One(Cthulhu or one of his buddies) by sealing gates that appear on the board at the end of every turn. Random events happen as you go from location to location searching for clues and gear to stop the Mythos threat, and monsters pour out of the gates and invade peaceful Arkham.

Players take the roles of Investigators(16 in the core game, each with different stats, 8 in Dunwich, and I believe another 8 in Kingsport) who each have their own set of Ability sliders, equipment, and Stamina/Sanity.

Players take turns moving around the board, yadda yadda yadda. Fun stuff about mechanics:
    Abilities aren't fixed, there's three sets of two skills, each with a slider, one increasing while the other decreases. You can change around your skills each turn before you move, to better prepare yourself for the challenges in the turn ahead.
    Each piece of equipment is represented by a card with a nifty picture. They're cool!
    The art in the game is fantastic. So is the writing. It's absolutely peppered with references to all of Lovecraft's work, and it's a joy to read the descriptions on the cards and encounters/etc.

The base game is easy once you get the hang of it. If you start getting the expansions, all of a sudden it becomes HARD. It's been a long time since I won a game. It's a great, challenging co-op experience on the tabletop, and if you don't work with your other players you will end up underneath a pile of wet Shoggoth.

Some amazing game experiences I've had?

Well, this one time when we were battling Cthulhu, I was playing the role of Joe Diamond, the private investigator. We got beaten back and didn't manage to close a single gate, and Cthulhu rose at the end of the sixth turn. We all blast away at him in the final battle, but he drives us down. He's HARD to kill. We're all at the end of our ropes, our items almost completely gone, and we still need to do four points of damage to kill him. Joe Diamond's the last hope for everyone. He raises his twin pistols, gets amazingly lucky, and sends the tentacled horror back to R'lyeh. Mass cheers all around.

So many games simply go down to the wire, it's extremely well-balanced and fun. It's expensive, but SO worth it. I could sing praises of this game all day, but really it all boils down to: If you don't already own it, buy it. Get the expansions too, once you're comfortable with the basic rules. They are absolutely worth the price. Well, Curse of the Dark Pharoah maybe not. That one's a bit wonky in a lot of places, but King in Yellow, Dunwich Horror, and Kingsport Horror are all spectacular.

tl;dr Fuckin' buy it, bitches.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's also the only game where you'll get a spell-wielding Catholic nun who depends on her supply of whiskey to maintain her thin thread of sanity, finally snapping and picking up an axe to cut down a group of zombies assaulting the University. Or a hobo sacrificing his dog to stop the Great Old Ones from returning as the stars align, only to mysteriously acquire the 'food' item as a reward for it.

So much brilliance in that game!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OoOOooooOOoOOOOOOOooooo!

This sounds even better'n before. I wish I had the monies! D:

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Don't play with a single player/character, though. That changes the game from "Desperately run around closing gates!" to "Collect a few weapons so that you beat the absolute shit out of the GOO (Great Old One)."

If you do play by yourself, and I have done this, it's best to play multiple characters. 3 or 4 is generally the right number.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love this game so much. So much. Words cannot describe how much I love this game.

Join the winning team. The most awesome card ever.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    DamnedLibrarianDamnedLibrarian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Best board game purchase I've ever made, I think. Only problem with it is all the decks and pieces. You need a huge table to comfortably fit everything, especially with any of the expansion packs. Still if you can afford it and have a regular board game group this is one of the best games made. Plus it's Co-op which is a huge appeal to some people.

DamnedLibrarian on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Best board game purchase I've ever made, I think. Only problem with it is all the decks and pieces. You need a huge table to comfortably fit everything, especially with any of the expansion packs. Still if you can afford it and have a regular board game group this is one of the best games made. Plus it's Co-op which is a huge appeal to some people.

Yep, it does take a lot of space to set up. With both Kingsport AND Dunwich the board is something like five feet long, plus your stacks of decks, although the Encounter decks can be set up on the board itself.

I strongly recommend looking into some of the templates on Boardgamegeek for card/token holders if you're low on space. Those guys do great work.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »

Yep, it does take a lot of space to set up. With both Kingsport AND Dunwich the board is something like five feet long, plus your stacks of decks, although the Encounter decks can be set up on the board itself.

I strongly recommend looking into some of the templates on Boardgamegeek for card/token holders if you're low on space. Those guys do great work.

Mrrrr? I'm on BGG now and I don't see anything like that under AH.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Somebody did some stuff for it. I haven't been on BGG for forever, though... the habit is waay too expensive. They had some templates or pictures or something of how people had modded their boxes, though. I swear!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is pretty good, but I find it's really hard to convince people to actually play it and that's a real shame. It takes ages to set up and usually, with some exceptions, doesn't really have much challenge (minding I don't have all the expansions so I don't know if they change things much). It is very fun though when I have played it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This game is pretty good, but I find it's really hard to convince people to actually play it and that's a real shame. It takes ages to set up and usually, with some exceptions, doesn't really have much challenge (minding I don't have all the expansions so I don't know if they change things much). It is very fun though when I have played it.

The expansions DO make it a lot harder, especially Dunwich since it adds a new set of gate locations and Gate Bursts(which will go through Sealed locations) Also, choosing random characters can add to the challenge a lot, and the new GOOs in Dunwich are murderonastick.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    this is such an awesome game - but do get the expansions for it - takes a great game and makes it even better!

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    it's awesome. I have it and the Dunwich expansion. I just can't get anyone to play them with me.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    BigWhiteRyanBigWhiteRyan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Funny, I just played two games of this one last night, and here I see this thread. (My 2nd and 3rd time playing.)

The game is fun, and for all of the high-quality components and art in the box, it's totally worth the $$$. A co-op boardgame is a pretty unique experience (although, I believe, not the first of it's kind) and if you love anything Lovecraftian, you're sure to really dig it.

My sad little nun did not hold up last night against the might of Cthulhu. I was getting kicked around all over the map. (Trying to survive very long with a maximum of 2 Stamina sucks.)

I don't have any of the expansions -- we're still getting used to the mechanics of the core experience. If you're like my friend and I, you'll basically play the first few hours with the instruction manual glued to your hand, but eventually you'll get it figured out and gameplay will speed up.

I've actually pondered the idea of organizing a Arkham Horror gaming session at PAX this year, as I'd love to play the game with more than two people. Any interest out there?

BigWhiteRyan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Man, I'm soooooo glad I stumbled onto this game while at Board Game Geek. I was at a friend's house, the others wanted to play Monoploy, and I opted out knowing what a shitstorm that game is, found 13 Dead End Drive in his closet, and then went on Wikipedia to look for the rules. Once there I found a link to Board Game Geek, looked at the "Hottest Games" and this one stuck out. Hurray for happy accidents!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, I was talking to my friend about this the other day. He went to the local gaming/comic shop asking for some badass board game to play on a trip we're taking soon, and this one came up.
    Sadly, he didn't pick it up (opting for a non-Lovecraftian game), but I didn't realize how awesome it was. I think I'm going to buy it the next time I see it. Excellent review Rainfall (and others!), you've sold me on it :)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just be ready...this game takes a LONG time to set up, and the rules are very complex. The first few playthroughs are very frustrating.

That said, once you've figured everything out, it's good stuff. Especially if you have a group you can play it with frequently, you can work out some division of labor to get the setup done more quickly. The game leads to some great table talk and strategy, and you'll have great stories to tell afterward. Once my group managed to lose to Shub-Niggurath in less than 10 minutes because every single thing went wrong, and then we had a 4 hour game which resulted in Azathoth eating the universe.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Just be ready...this game takes a LONG time to set up, and the rules are very complex. The first few playthroughs are very frustrating.
    That I can deal with. As long as it's worth it, which it seems like it is :)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    A piece of advice for new people picking up the game:

Play a few solo sessions by yourself first. Get a hang of all the rules before you start playing so that you aren't amazingly bogged down when you start. Everything is pretty intuitive once you grasp the system, but that grasp can take time.

Also, plastic baggies/a way to sort the counters is a must. Otherwise you will be hopelessly bogged down by the amount of tokens there are.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    A piece of advice for new people picking up the game:

Play a few solo sessions by yourself first. Get a hang of all the rules before you start playing so that you aren't amazingly bogged down when you start. Everything is pretty intuitive once you grasp the system, but that grasp can take time.

Also, plastic baggies/a way to sort the counters is a must. Otherwise you will be hopelessly bogged down by the amount of tokens there are.

QFT

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg