As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2008 Hookah

• SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm down for some hookah-ing, but I'm not gonna bother taking my hookah through airport security.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Soups wrote:
    I'm down for some hookah-ing, but I'm not gonna bother taking my hookah through airport security.

Ditto.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • GahziGahzi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Im down like a clown,

How did this thing go last year? Any issues?

Gahzi on
  • FinnbarrFinnbarr Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Highfire wrote: »
    casper702 wrote: »
    You guys will not be checking id to use the hookahs, right?

Well in light of the fact that this would happen in Freeway park. I would say that id should be checked. Just for the sake that cops stop by. Due to all the homeless people that hang out there.

it's actually not illegal for minors to consume tobacco in washington, they just can't buy it. also, the cops can't prove what's in the hookah, so really, aside from the growth defects, you're safe.

Don't forget your lung cancer.

Finnbarr on
    ~Finnbarr
    Statement: Just a simple droid, here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.
    edited June 2008
    Finnbarr wrote: »

True. Hookah smoking is said to be worse for your health than cigarette smoking.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Soups wrote: »

True. Hookah smoking is said to be worse for your health than cigarette smoking.

Who said that? All the studies I've seen say the exact opposite.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Liger wrote: »

Also, hookah smokers generally don't smoke every day. It's why smoke related cancer is so uncommon amongst people who only smoke cigars. I'm not pretending it is healthy, just saying it's in considerably more moderation.

redhalo on
    edited June 2008
    Liger wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

Scroll down to "Health Risks" and it's in the first sentence.

Basically, since you inhale entire lungfuls of smoke instead of just mouthfuls at a time, and due to the fact that you're still inhaling tobacco, tar and carbon monoxide, and a hookah session tends to last longer than a cigarette, etc etc etc.

EDIT:
    redhalo wrote: »
    Also, hookah smokers generally don't smoke every day. It's why smoke related cancer is so uncommon amongst people who only smoke cigars. I'm not pretending it is healthy, just saying it's in considerably more moderation.

And this is why I still "hookah" even while I'm aware of the health risks. I don't smoke it on a regular basis by any means. I just don't feel an addiction, I just like the cool experience and the way an occasional session makes me feel.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • RomulasRomulas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gahzi wrote: »
    Im down like a clown,

last year went fine, no issues whatsoever

Romulas on
    edited June 2008
    So how much would be the polite amount of money to donate if I wanted to join in but didn't have a hookah/shisha to contribute? I've only smoked in hookah bars, I'm not familiar with how expensive this gets privately and don't want to be rude.

redhalo on
    edited June 2008
    So how much would be the polite amount of money to donate if I wanted to join in but didn't have a hookah/shisha to contribute? I've only smoked in hookah bars, I'm not familiar with how expensive this gets privately and don't want to be rude.

One load of shisha should only be about fifty cents for a decent quality shot. If you're sharing it with someone I wouldn't expect them to want more than that.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was planning on owing a drink to whoever I end up having shisha from.

LewieP on
    edited June 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I was planning on owing a drink to whoever I end up having shisha from.

That sounds like a good plan.

redhalo on
  • AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Didn't they just create some crazy laws about no smoking outside in Washington??

Not sure..

Avid on
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Avid wrote: »
    Didn't they just create some crazy laws about no smoking outside in Washington??

Not sure..

Err, not that I'm aware of. They made smoking illegal inside just a few years ago, so now folks have to smoke like 10 feet or something outside a building's entrance. I don't smoke but know several people that do. And yes, I live in the Seattle area.

That said, a hookah ... might get you strange looks. Last time I used one was in a bar in India though, and it was all nice and minty. Pleasant! Good luck finding a place to use it.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
    edited July 2008

Not sure..

If you already couldn't smoke inside and now you couldn't smoke outside then they pretty much put a ban on smoking all together, which I would seriously doubt.

redhalo on
    edited July 2008
    the truth is... smoking hookah in freeway park is legit, we did it last year, and im doing it again. it will kick so much ass YOU'LL probably go blind!

Romulas on
    edited July 2008
    bumpin this thread

Romulas on
  • [DVDA]martini[DVDA]martini Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Not sure..

If you already couldn't smoke inside and now you couldn't smoke outside then they pretty much put a ban on smoking all together, which I would seriously doubt.

The law says you can't smoke inside any public building. And that you have to be 25 feet away from entrance/exit doors, windows, or ventilation systems (unless you're just walking past).. but it is unenforced.

I was hoping this thread was about another kind of smokable substance. Which I can help anyone out-of-towners with.

[DVDA]martini on
    edited August 2008
    yyyyeah. none of that while we are in the park.

Romulas on
  • NepoNepo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome! I didnt know we has so many hookah smokers at PAX. I will bring mine. I have "Japanese" Hard square coals so i will be bringing my blow torch (propane canister with nozzle... nothing extreme).

I have my small 13" hookah with single hose and might pick up a pack of Vanilla and Orange/Tangerine Which is an awesome combo.

Perhaps i will contribute with buying more coals, foil and paper towels for clean up and grommets.

PM me if you want. Aim, yahoo, msn.

I dont expect people to pay me. But if you wanna hand me a cookie, soda or beer im down.

Nepo on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was hoping this thread was about another kind of smokable substance. Which I can help anyone out-of-towners with.
    You wanna do that on your own time in your apartment/house whatever with PAX'ers then more power to ya... but don't do it around the convention center, including freeway park. The people using freeway park legitely won't like the hassle & we dont need the convention center folks gettin pissed at us

nearlysober on
  • iFoldiFold Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is smoking shisha addictive? I like the occasional cigar and was just wondering if the hookah would be like smoking cigarettes or something. (Hope it's not a dumb question)

iFold on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    iFold wrote: »
    Is smoking shisha addictive? I like the occasional cigar and was just wondering if the hookah would be like smoking cigarettes or something. (Hope it's not a dumb question)

Not a dumb question. And shisha--to my knowledge--is not addictive.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You wanna do that on your own time in your apartment/house whatever with PAX'ers then more power to ya... but don't do it around the convention center, including freeway park. The people using freeway park legitely won't like the hassle & we dont need the convention center folks gettin pissed at us

?? if it's legal, then who cares?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Yeah. I'd just like to echo a few previous posts in politely requesting that this kind of thing remain far away from PAX, the PAX forums, and me. People are free to do whatever they want on their own time, in their own homes, and that's absolutely okay. I don't really dig the scene, but whatever. We're all adults, and part of being a responsible adult is respecting other people's choices even if you don't like them.

But like it or not, that kind of thing is illegal. PAX doesn't need anything illegal floating around. I imagine it's hard enough convincing the powers that be to let thirty thousand plus people play video games and throw nerdcore concerts in a big time convention center, and I can't think of a shittier thing than PAX 2009 being canceled because of something stupid like "there were drugs there."

So, yeah. Do whatever you want, but don't do it on the forums, don't do it at PAX, and please don't do it around me.

As far as the hookah thing goes... it doesn't sound like the smartest thing in the world to get a bunch of people together in a public place smoking a bunch of big pipes. That sounds like the kind of thing that would cause a scene, even though it's legal. Kind of like drinking non-alcoholic beer in your car. It's not illegal, but would you really be surprised if you got pulled over? Y'know what I'm saying? IMHO if people would like to do this, it should be in a more private setting where the likelihood of something happening is... lower.

But, whatever. It's legal, nobody's hurting anybody. It might not be wise, but that's about the worst thing I can think of.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »

Yeah. I'd just like to echo a few previous posts in politely requesting that this kind of thing remain far away from PAX, the PAX forums, and me. People are free to do whatever they want on their own time, in their own homes, and that's absolutely okay. I don't really dig the scene, but whatever. We're all adults, and part of being a responsible adult is respecting other people's choices even if you don't like them.

But like it or not, that kind of thing is illegal. PAX doesn't need anything illegal floating around. I imagine it's hard enough convincing the powers that be to let thirty thousand plus people play video games and throw nerdcore concerts in a big time convention center, and I can't think of a shittier thing than PAX 2009 being canceled because of something stupid like "there were drugs there."

So, yeah. Do whatever you want, but don't do it on the forums, don't do it at PAX, and please don't do it around me.

As far as the hookah thing goes... it doesn't sound like the smartest thing in the world to get a bunch of people together in a public place smoking a bunch of big pipes. That sounds like the kind of thing that would cause a scene, even though it's legal. Kind of like drinking non-alcoholic beer in your car. It's not illegal, but would you really be surprised if you got pulled over? Y'know what I'm saying? IMHO if people would like to do this, it should be in a more private setting where the likelihood of something happening is... lower.

But, whatever. It's legal, nobody's hurting anybody. It might not be wise, but that's about the worst thing I can think of.

only that guy is talking about illegal drugs. this thread is about smoking legal drugs out of a hookah, like tobacco.

if i sound defensive here, it's because i get a lot of bullshit from people who see me smoking and treat like a bad person or a second class citizen. when the hell did stereotypes of smokers become so awful? guess what, i spend 30 hours a month doing volunteer work and 3 weeks a year helping underprivileged kids learn to play soccer, still think i'm a bad person because i smoke? [/vent]

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Most people I know think a hookah is a bong when they see one. These people are uneducated, but I'm just saying, I don't think hookah has broken the mainstream.

TrainwreckX on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »

only that guy is talking about illegal drugs. this thread is about smoking legal drugs out of a hookah, like tobacco.

if i sound defensive here, it's because i get a lot of bullshit from people who see me smoking and treat like a bad person or a second class citizen. when the hell did stereotypes of smokers become so awful? guess what, i spend 30 hours a month doing volunteer work and 3 weeks a year helping underprivileged kids learn to play soccer, still think i'm a bad person because i smoke? [/vent]

I understand that you're defensive, but if you saw someone drinking out of a brown glass bottle while driving a car, your first reaction might be that he was drinking a beer. He could be drinking root beer or any number of things, and you'd be wrong, but you would probably feel like your initial reaction was understandable.

My point is that doing something that -looks- like smoking a bong in a public place is likely to get some of the same reactions as -actually- smoking a bong in a public place, and even though there's no punishment for what you're doing, you might have to deal with a hassle. There's nothing wrong with it, you're not doing anything illegal or suspect, but it might look like you are.

So, a wise decision might be to do that in a more private setting, where you don't have to deal with people's incorrect but not entirely unsurprising reactions. This is just a suggestion to save you guys a potentially shitty experience.

The sterner language of my earlier post was directed at those few guys who were talking about illegal drugs, and not the legal hookah folk. Keep the illegal stuff far away from PAX.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited August 2008
    first off, there's an open bottle law here, so that any open bottle can get you pulled over for inspection. second, someone drinking while driving is liable to kill people, someone smoking pot is liable to kill a bag of cheetos. i won't get into the argument of why there's nothing wrong with weed, but i will say that as long as it's legal, i'll smoke whatever i want out of whatever i want where ever i want.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    first off, there's an open bottle law here, so that any open bottle can get you pulled over for inspection. second, someone drinking while driving is liable to kill people, someone smoking pot is liable to kill a bag of cheetos. i won't get into the argument of why there's nothing wrong with weed, but i will say that as long as it's legal, i'll smoke whatever i want out of whatever i want where ever i want.

I think you've completely overlooked Arco's point.

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2008

I think you've completely overlooked Arco's point.
    no, i'm saying that his point is invalid.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We are not going to be outside getting high. Please stop any/all talk of illicit drugs, those are not something to advertise nor get involved with. Also not something we want our thread getting dragged though/derailed. Don't do it, or atleast don't advertise for god sake. Remember that carload of guys trying to bring their stash of pot to pax? Yeah they got caught halfway to pax from NY or some eastern state, detained for the 3 days of the convention, then released. And fined.
    iFold wrote: »

Not a dumb question. And shisha--to my knowledge--is not addictive.

It's tobacco. A better question to ask yourself is do you have willpower?
    Gahzi wrote: »
    Im down like a clown,

The enforcers always complain about my hookah in the byoc, which I'm pretty sure is moes issue too. But we're not causing problems. As far as this was discussed last year, it's a 25 foot distance between the smoker and any public entrance. So we hang out with all the other cool-kid smokers outside in a quiet spot away from the doors, no problem.

The security guards asked to have a look in our containers to see what it was we're smoking, since they didn't seem to have any idea of what shisha is either. Which was as far as their concern went.

And we get to talk with cool people about various things. Which is fun. Sometimes the bands stop by. I would like to say man, frontalot is hilarious yet really insane ♥

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited August 2008
    awesome, so it's on. just one question: when is it on? do we have plans on when to spark it up?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited August 2008
    i dunno, leaf and i will most likely come up with a plan pre-pax and post it here since he and i are the ones who did this last year. im really hoping for a good turn out. also. if anyone takes pictures this year pm them to me id love to see them. and yes front is nuts but i love him, last year we hung out with the one ups they made me larf.

and as far as the whole "brown bottle get pulled over, hookah looks like a bong" argument.... if anyone asks what it is we tell them, clear up the minor mistake they made, and perhaps educate some people... then go about smoking... as long as nobody laces their shisha, this will be a totally sweet deal. and like leaf mentioned we really had minimal issues last year.

Romulas on
    edited August 2008
    or maybe we can just slap people who can't tell the difference between this:
    113-blue-flower-marble-bong.jpg
    and this:
    solo-hookah-2-L.jpg

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited August 2008
    Back in high school we used to smoke hookah out in front of starbucks all the time. Which was in front of the police station and officers would frequent the coffe shop. They would ask and we would tell them and explain them what it was. Most of the officers enjoyed hearing the background of what it was (anything to help identify devices for smoking im sure). They checked our ID's. Everyone was 18+ I think they were just concerned with the propane torch i had but i made sure it wasn't out for everyone to see and be worried about.

As for addictive- i don't think so. %0.5 nicotine per container (20-40 bowls per container)- however i think its habit forming and the social environment is very addictive.

Nepo on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Really, neither one of us could really care less. I'm going to have my pack, maybe two, which is more than enough for like 20+ hours if you just ran the thing continuously. If you bring something cool, if not oh well. I'm always interested to try different flavours, and right now I can't seem to find a single place in the valley here that has taru watermelon anymore.
    awesome, so it's on. just one question: when is it on? do we have plans on when to spark it up?

After it gets dark. It's not something we really plan, more of me and Rom randomly seeing and yelling at eachother from across the byoc or whatever. Doors close at 3am for the first two days of pax, so anywhere from 10pm to 3am for me, but that's by no means an actual schedule. Think of us like a random mob spawn with special drops. Could be there, might not be, just look around every so often.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Is there a window where i tap on the glass to signal to you guys? Or would you text me when your gonna smoke? PM me so we can extange numbers.

Nepo on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

?? if it's legal, then who cares?
    It's... not legal. He was talking about weed one would assume... which is what I was talking about.

I don't care if you guys smoke tobacco from a hookah... just dont bring illegal drugs to the convention center or any areas associated with PAX. That's not a comment directed at your "normal everyday smokers"... it's directed at everyone.

nearlysober on
This discussion has been closed.