As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to be free of an MMO addiction.

NH03NH03 Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
This should help a lot of you who are addicted to mmorpgs.

The first step you should take in an mmo is never make friends in the game. If you do, make sure they have aim and don't play the game 24/7.

2. Never join a guild. You could be the best of the best and not have a guild. You don't have to have a guild in order to have fun. Guilds give their members schedules and are mostly made up of people who don't play other games since they are committed to making the guild a success. Guilds also bring drama and unpleasant things such as promotions to people who are more active than the casual players.

3. Don't create a schedule around the mmo. Schedule your every waking moment with the idea that the game isn't as important as putting time into things such as socializing with your friends or giving that extra effort to your work projects. Go watch tv if you don't have many friends. At least you're not committing to it.

4. Play other games that are not mmos. I've heard of people playing 2 or 3 different mmos at the same time. They wonder why their addicted. Buy a console if your pc is not upgraded. Maybe invite a couple friends over or make new ones with your gaming interests.

And what you can take from these steps is simple. Never commit yourself, make a schedule around, or get your real life friends/wife/sister/father/mother into an MMO.

vincentsig.jpg
NH03 on

• Super_HappySuper_Happy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All good advice, but what prompted the after school message? Have you come to save us?

Super_Happy on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    About 2, not all guilds are progression-minded "you should treat this as a second job" kind of guilds. There's a lot of social guilds where people just chill and chat and maybe do an instance or a hard quest together if they feel like it. Y'know, guilds based on the idea of having fun.

reVerse on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You could cut your hands off. Can't raid if you don't have hands.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I agree that not making friends and not joining a guild would do a pretty good job of keeping you from getting addicted to an MMO, but it also kind of eliminates the point of playing the game in the first place. If that's the kind of game experience you want, you might as well go play an action RPG and save yourself the subscription fee.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    About 2, not all guilds are progression-minded "you should treat this as a second job" kind of guilds. There's a lot of social guilds where people just chill and chat and maybe do an instance or a hard quest together if they feel like it. Y'know, guilds based on the idea of having fun.

Yes, but here's the problem with those guilds. Their in the game and not somewhere else. You can have social fun outside of the game, and you guessed it; there's more things to do outside of the game.

These guilds also bring friends that have 1 thing in common with you: playing the game. How are you going to meet these friends outside of the game when most of them are inside making plans around that game?

Try bringing those people outside of the game. It would be very difficult since you only have 1 thing in common.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Way to make ridiculous assumptions.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    NH03 wrote: »

Yes, but here's the problem with those guilds. Their in the game and not somewhere else. You can have social fun outside of the game, and you guessed it; there's more things to do outside of the game.

These guilds also bring friends that have 1 thing in common with you: playing the game. How are you going to meet these friends outside of the game when most of them are inside making plans around that game?

Try bringing those people outside of the game. It would be very difficult since you only have 1 thing in common.

So being a part of a social guild that is there to have fun and play a social game is a problem?

I don't get it.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    Well, I agree that not making friends and not joining a guild would do a pretty good job of keeping you from getting addicted to an MMO, but it also kind of eliminates the point of playing the game in the first place. If that's the kind of game experience you want, you might as well go play an action RPG and save yourself the subscription fee.

Exactly. Why play an mmo when you can socialize for real? Its almost like the game is just a place for like-minded people to gather to make the game world itself. Now heres a question for you. How many of those people would be happier meeting outside of the game and doing things that don't require you to pay money to meet.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    I think you're missing the point and I'm also starting to suspect that you're just here to passive-aggressively attack MMORPGs and MMORPG gamers.

OremLK on
    edited August 2008

Exactly. Why play an mmo when you can socialize for real? Its almost like the game is just a place for like-minded people to gather to make the game world itself. Now heres a question for you. How many of those people would be happier meeting outside of the game and doing things that don't require you to pay money to meet.

Thank you coming down from the mountain with your stone tablets to tell us this.

Italax on
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
    edited August 2008

Why watch TV when you can go go to your local mall and listen to some stereotypical teenage drama?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes, but here's the problem with those guilds. Their in the game and not somewhere else.

I don't see how that's a problem. It would be terribly inconvenient if the guild was outside of the game since one found assume that one would like to have a guild for the purpose of having fun inside the game.
    You can have social fun outside of the game, and you guessed it; there's more things to do outside of the game.

True, but you can't slay dragons or frost giants outside the game. Well, technically you could slay frost giants outside of the game here in Finland, but it's illegal.

These forums bring people together that have one thing in common with you: they like games. Are you arguing that these forums are a bad thing?

I think the biggest difficulty would be that they're spread out all over Europe/US/the world. I mean, if you did get together atleast you could use the one thing in common as an icebreaker and then get to know with these people. Though that part has probably already happened inside the game, so now you'd just have a bunch of friends hanging out. I don't see how that would be a bad thing.

reVerse on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »

Why watch TV when you can go go to your local mall and listen to some stereotypical teenage drama?

Why play war games when you can just join the army? The US totally needs soldiers to [strike]use as cannon fodder[/strike] liberate Iraq.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2008

So being a part of a social guild that is there to have fun and play a social game is a problem?

I don't get it.

What I don't get is why people would want to socialize in a game they have to pay for. Communities are fine when they aren't based around something thats addicting. Pretty much the only thing you have in common with these people is that you have an investment in your character, and they want to help you out get better stuff, and just plain hang out. Why in the world would you want to socialize with these people when you could be socializing for real. If you're addicted to an mmo, its probably because you made a ton of friends to do things with in the game that is making as much progress in real life as sitting in front of your computer screen and pressing buttons.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    I can't answer all of you.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
    edited August 2008

I don't get it.

What I don't get is why people would want to socialize in a game they have to pay for. Communities are fine when they aren't based around something thats addicting. Pretty much the only thing you have in common with these people is that you have an investment in your character, and they want to help you out get better stuff, and just plain hang out. Why in the world would you want to socialize with these people when you could be socializing for real. If you're addicted to an mmo, its probably because you made a ton of friends to do things with in the game that is making as much progress in real life as sitting in front of your computer screen and pressing buttons.

You have no idea how condescending you're being, do you?

Here's a tip, it's a lot.

Italax on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    like all non chemical addictions, being free of an MMO addiction requires a little bit of self restraint

~fin~

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited August 2008

Why play war games when you can just join the army? The US totally needs soldiers to [strike]use as cannon fodder[/strike] liberate Iraq.

Really now? Why simulate real life when you can walk outside and do something?

You would rather SIMULATE socializing instead of talking with people in real life?

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
    edited August 2008

I don't get it.

I don't pay for a game to socialize. I pay for a game to play it, and have fun. If socializing is a part of the game, and a part of the fun, why not? And actually, I've met some of my best friends online, and I happen to have a lot in common with many of them.

Apparently like-minded people tend to gravitate towards things that you'd be participating in. Who'dathunkit?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited August 2008

I don't get it.

I don't pay for a game to socialize. I pay for a game to play it, and have fun. If socializing is a part of the game, and a part of the fun, why not? And actually, I've met some of my best friends online, and I happen to have a lot in common with many of them.

Apparently like-minded people tend to gravitate towards things that you'd be participating in. Who'dathunkit?
    Addictions are not a very nice thing to have in common. This is for mmo addicts.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You would rather SIMULATE socializing instead of talking with people in real life?

Why don't I come to your house and strangle you instead of just thinking about it?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2008
    What would prompt you to make such a thread?

I mean, this isn't exactly the kind of attention I think you'd want, NH03.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You are not simulating socializing, you are in fact socializing. Just because you are not face to face with the people does not mean you are not interacting and having real conversations and forming real attachments to these people.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited August 2008

I don't get it.

Addictions are not a very nice thing to have in common. This is for mmo addicts.

You're advice can be summed up as just saying "Don't play MMOs"

That's shitty advice if someone has a real addiction problem. Also, what MMO addicts are you talking about? Not everyone who plays WoW is addicted, just like not everyone who enjoys a glass of wine is an alcoholic. Most people here seem to understand you need to play MMos in moderation.

Italax on
    edited August 2008
    I really wish there was a 'Don't show self righteous dance/song threads' button.

I mean really, does this help anyone?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why come to an MMO forum to simulate trolling people about MMOs when you can go outside, go to a net cafe' and troll people in real life?

Expand your horizons NH03.

-SPI- on
    edited August 2008
    Italax wrote: »

I don't get it.

That's shitty advice if someone has a real addiction problem. Also, what MMO addicts are you talking about? Not everyone who plays WoW is addicted, just like not everyone who enjoys a glass of wine is an alcoholic. Most people here seem to understand you need to play MMos in moderation.

Yeah but, the thing people don't realize is that MMOs are giant socialization rings. Believe me when I say the internet is not real socization taking place. The shear amount of variety that comes with not using text for your socialzation is phenominal. Emotes are just emotes. The variation of people actions are infinite. I'll agree is socialization, but its what a tug boat is compared to the titanic.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like how you've ignored all the actual, hard hitting questions here.

Like how you're just passively aggressivley attacking MMORPG's and MMORPG gamers. I don't know if you noticed, but this forum is full of those people. If you want to have a discussion with those people than it's probably not best to start out with a bunch of generalizations and assumptions about them and what they do. Generalizations are a bad way to make an argument, and you're consequently doing a shitty job. There is a reason they're a logical fallacy.

If you don't know what passive aggresivity is than look it up.

EDIT:

Until you stop this nonsense I'm just going to disseminate your shitty arguments.
    Yeah but, the thing people don't realize is that MMOs are giant socialization rings. Believe me when I say the internet is not real socization taking place. The shear amount of variety that comes with not using text for your socialzation is phenominal. Emotes are just emotes. The variation of people actions are infinite. I'll agree is socialization, but its what a tug boat is compared to the titanic.

No. No I will not believe you.

Are you an authority on the internet? Are you the end all, say all, of the internet and its social dynamics? I doubt it.

Thus, this is an argument from an illegitimate authority, and it really doesn't matter what you say after it. It doesn't matter. That's right, your opinion matters just as little as every other random schlub. Now please, kindly move along.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm shocked there wasn't some sort of "find Jesus" message attached to this. The OP had that unique blend of judgement and self-congratulatory dispensation of common sense.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    "But I only wanted to help"

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My biggest hobby is to play video games. I especially like to play them with other people.

Why wouldn't I play WAR with them?

Quid on
    edited August 2008
    I didn't come here to argue. I only posted guidelines for removing an MMO addiction. I see that I'm not very popular for trying to help those people who are.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Italax wrote: »

I don't get it.

I have in fact spoken to real people before and understand the difference between verbal communication and text. What about the people who play MMOs with friends from Real life? If you're interacting with someone you really know via text, does the text make that interaction fake? Should we get rid of things like AIM and Text Messages on mobile phones at well, because they only communicate via text.

MMOs are great ways to keep in touch with people you knew once who moved away etc, yet you can still keep a kind of connection with them via this common bond. You're ignoring all of this in favour of the stereotype that people who play MMOs are social lepers afraid to leave their homes.

Italax on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    . . .

You are a moron. Unless the person I am conversing with on the other end is actually a computer, then I am not simulating anything.

I'm honestly contemplating the worth of keeping this open for discussion, since I imagine the majority of it is going to be people coming in here and repeatedly exposing the flaws to your logic.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    edited August 2008
    I didn't come here to argue. I only posted guidelines for removing an MMO addiction. I see that I'm not very popular for trying to help those people who are.

Aggresively helping a "group" of unspecified individuals on the internet doesn't come across very well.

You're not exactly wrong on some points, but your generalizations sound very accusatory.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    My biggest hobby is to play video games. I especially like to play them with other people.

Try an experiment yourself. Play war with them. Get invested into the game.

See if they want to play Soul calibur 4 or play war with you.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
    edited August 2008

Called it.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited August 2008
    Quid wrote: »

Try an experiment yourself. Play war with them. Get invested into the game.

See if they want to play Soul calibur 4 or play war with you.

Do you carry out all activites with all of your friends? Does anyone who's not a 90's sitcom character do this?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The way I got rid of my WoW addicting was reading their forums. I started to post more than I actually played. Also, the whining made me want to rip my brain out.

Zandracon on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Called it.

Looks like it's time for him to find a nice big cross to nail himself to.

DO IT FOR US! SAVE US FROM OUR SINS!

... no, really, save me.

If anyone needs me, I'll be offering GM's head for an offhand Warglaive.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.