As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have we already seen the Arkham Asylum screens?
    http://kotaku.com/5037545/batman-arkham-asylum-in-pictures

Highlights:
    medium_2765027773_b145ec7898_o.jpg
    medium_2765874480_893044b230_o.jpg
    medium_2765027813_8ac357324f_o.jpg

Lux on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    he has described it in the worst possible way.

basically frank castle is already the punisher and killing people and lives in a sewer where he meditates naked.

i'm listening

picture Ivan Drago naked.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    he has described it in the worst possible way.

basically frank castle is already the punisher and killing people and lives in a sewer where he meditates naked.

i'm listening

picture Ivan Drago naked.

My mind is awash, thinking of all the times and tenses this phrase has been uttered since he hit the big screen.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    oh wow, i had no idea about this shit going on with war zone. guess that red band trailer is as close as we'll get to a decent sequel.

Angry on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For some reason, that first screenshot made me think of manhunt. Wow, imagine if Rockstar went with making a batman game with that engine instead of a snuff simulator.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    oh wow, i had no idea about this shit going on with war zone. guess that red band trailer is as close as we'll get to a decent sequel.

I've heard the director wants his name taken off it, so I guess it's the studio mucking with it?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I've heard the director wants his name taken off it, so I guess it's the studio mucking with it?

The director is female

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The director is female

she directed the filming and then got fired during post-production.

so basically they have the film shot and now since she is fired and they want to make it pg-13 they gotta cut the shit out of whatever they had.

it's gonna be fucking horrible.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To be fair, it pretty much looked like shit before all this hoopla.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the movie was rad as fuck

the punisher spoke in catchphrases

Glal on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    To be fair, it pretty much looked like shit before all this hoopla.

yeah but that red band trailer had a fucking chair to the eye.

i mean, come on.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry, I need slightly more than over the top violence to get me excited.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I agree, which is why Shoot 'em up and I didn't quite see eye to eye.

Well, to be fair it has over the top violence and misogyny, but I don't really consider that a selling point.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All the rumours about Punisher: War Zone were complete bullshit according to the director of photography, Steve Gainer;
    Holy smokes, I go away and shoot some kids stuff for Disney, and the whole world is a different color when I return. Again I appear here to dispel rumors. Please believe:

Lexi is not off the film

Lexi is still involved in the edit process

The film is not (nor could it ever be) PG-13

Today I saw a cut that ran 91 minutes

Lexi did in fact get married

Lexi is an incredibly talented director, and this film kicks major ass, as will be proven when it is released IN THEATRES DECEMBER 5th

The film is most certainly not all exploding heads, but will reveal a great deal of Franks personna and pain

This film has been difficult from the begining, from a bitter Canadian winter, to endless nights, to rampant sickness, Lexi has fought to make a killer Punisher film for fans and non fans alike.

Initially we were to release in September, but for whatever reason (not the quality of the film or edit IMHO) it was decided to release in December. That extra time has given everyone a chance to put their two cents worth in, but rest assured, Lexi is still stearing the boat, and she is a great captain.

When I hear vicious unfounded troll rumors like the "film was unwatchable" or "a total mess" it makes my blood boil. I want to punish the corrupt. People sit on their fat asses trolling the internet, people that have never even looked through a motion picture camera, and make judgements on a work of art that they've never seen, it's like saying a baby will be ugly before it is born, I can't freaking wait for this film to come out and prove the nay-sayers wrong.

Aleph on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »

I agree, which is why Shoot 'em up and I didn't quite see eye to eye.

Well, to be fair it has over the top violence and misogyny, but I don't really consider that a selling point.

Considering Shoot 'Em Up was based on what Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd would be like if they were real, I loved it. Its so stupid and cheesy that I just couldn't get over how goofy the movie was.

Please to note, I called it a movie. Not a film. heh.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Aleph wrote: »
    All the rumours about Punisher: War Zone were complete bullshit according to the director of photography, Steve Gainer;
    Holy smokes, I go away and shoot some kids stuff for Disney, and the whole world is a different color when I return. Again I appear here to dispel rumors. Please believe:

Lexi is not off the film

Lexi is still involved in the edit process

The film is not (nor could it ever be) PG-13

Today I saw a cut that ran 91 minutes

Lexi did in fact get married

Lexi is an incredibly talented director, and this film kicks major ass, as will be proven when it is released IN THEATRES DECEMBER 5th

The film is most certainly not all exploding heads, but will reveal a great deal of Franks personna and pain

This film has been difficult from the begining, from a bitter Canadian winter, to endless nights, to rampant sickness, Lexi has fought to make a killer Punisher film for fans and non fans alike.

Initially we were to release in September, but for whatever reason (not the quality of the film or edit IMHO) it was decided to release in December. That extra time has given everyone a chance to put their two cents worth in, but rest assured, Lexi is still stearing the boat, and she is a great captain.

When I hear vicious unfounded troll rumors like the "film was unwatchable" or "a total mess" it makes my blood boil. I want to punish the corrupt. People sit on their fat asses trolling the internet, people that have never even looked through a motion picture camera, and make judgements on a work of art that they've never seen, it's like saying a baby will be ugly before it is born, I can't freaking wait for this film to come out and prove the nay-sayers wrong.
    yeah, basically what i've heard is that it's more or less "stunt controversy" put on by the studio. god knows why they'd want to fuck around with a property that's already screwed them twice and should be a total slam-dunk

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See keeping it R might put my ass in the seat. Because, I won't lie. Even if it's bad, now it has to potential to be over the top and I don't have to cringe because Frank shoots a bad guy after he says "MOTHER F-" and they time the gunshot hilariously well.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cdseo9.jpg

Hal Jordan in MK vs DC.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yay

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck, that's a nice costume.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's a girdle!

devoir on
  • Options
    The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck that game. Man, name me one fucking character in MK that could even begin to keep up with the DC guys ?

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah totally, fuck that game for making you suspend your disbelief even more then normal.

Angry on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck that game. Man, name me one fucking character in MK that could even begin to keep up with the DC guys ?

so it's ok to have Hulk vs Roll but not Superman vs Scorpion?
    the answer is yes
    because the real answer is 2D sprites

Guek on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cdseo9.jpg

The Guardian in the background looks kind of creepy just staring at Hal all alone ...

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Twentieth Century Fox said on Monday it will seek an injunction to block release of the Warner Bros movie "Watchmen" after a Los Angeles court ruled a copyright lawsuit against Warner can go forward.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That Watchmen legal stuff always gets resolved one way or another. There's too much money to be made.

Anyhow, Tom Cruise in a SLEEPER movie:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i8e4bba223e1c5e9a17ff9d214268886d

I think it would work, if COLLATERAL was any indication.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah totally, fuck that game for making you suspend your disbelief even more then normal.

There's a difference between suspension of disbelief and completely breaking every character in the DCU in order to balance them for a MK fighter game. The MK characters are all fairly normal humans with martial arts training and a little bit of ninjitsu magic thrown in. Really, the only big name DC character that would even have a problem with them is Batman, and that's just because he himself is just a normal human with martial arts training. Characters like Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Flash would all completely obliterate the MK characters. The only way they wouldn't be able to is if their power levels were severely reduced. And if their power levels are severely reduced, then what the hell is the point.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The fact that Hulk could dismantle Megaman with a single punch didn't stop me from liking Marvel versus Capcom.

But then, the character models looked neat in that.

P.S. Wonder Woman and Deathstroke were recently announced.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

There's a difference between suspension of disbelief and completely breaking every character in the DCU in order to balance them for a MK fighter game. The MK characters are all fairly normal humans with martial arts training and a little bit of ninjitsu magic thrown in. Really, the only big name DC character that would even have a problem with them is Batman, and that's just because he himself is just a normal human with martial arts training. Characters like Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Flash would all completely obliterate the MK characters. The only way they wouldn't be able to is if their power levels were severely reduced. And if their power levels are severely reduced, then what the hell is the point.

Seriously man? Is this stuff keeping you up at night? It's not like they are going to make this cannon and start bringing in MK characters to fight Superman in the comics or something. It's a freaking video game.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm sure they could handwave it using power dampeners or somesuch technobabble if it's really going to bother some people.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No. It doesn't keep me up at night at all. I prefer not to play shitty games. Therefore I won't even try MK vs DC. Simple as that.

But the entire premise for such games is just stupid in my opinion.

A game where the Hulk could dismantle Megaman in one punch...I would play that.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah. I prefer suspension of disbelief myself.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

To a game where one character instantly wins all the time, or where none of the popular characters are present at all?

Why?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah, mk vs dc is going to suck. but only because midway makes shitty games and mk sucks.

However, if Wildcat is in it, I will be on it like no man's business.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It is Mortal Kombat, explaining why Scorpion can harpoon Superman or why Green Lantern's powers aren't at full strength is easy. MAGIC DID IT! From the looks of things Outerworld is merging with the DC Universe so there would be magic all up ins everyone's face.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

To a game where one character instantly wins all the time, or where none of the popular characters are present at all?

Why?
    It's just this crazy thing about me.

And Manon, you're welcome :winky:

Wildcat on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now I'm thinking how amusing it would be for the developers to include a "how this fight would really go" cheat code, where all the heavies just ruin everyone else with one punch.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Umm, isn't there already some sort of "toning down" involved in the MK series? I seem to recall Raiden being an actual God of Thunder (or something), and some chick in spandex with a little Tae-Bo under her belt manages to kick his ass (in the hands of a skilled player) pretty handily.

Sure they could have "Superman flies in and beats them all" in the opening cinematic, but that'd make for a shitty game.

It's like listening to hardcore 'lore' advocates in an MMO when something is changed for game balance.

It's a GAME. Where would be the challenge if Green Lantern simply caged up every one of his combatants, or Batman had an extra minute pre-match to prepare a series of gadgets and conditions for the fight that guaranteed their victory?

It might be briefly entertaining as a single player game, but these things aren't just designed for a single player experience, hence; balance, hand waving, "magic", whatever.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The point is, some games shouldn't be made. They aren't worth making. MK vs DC will suck, simply because its a terrible idea.

Lucascraft on
This discussion has been closed.