As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Everybody should be reading Scalped.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    Going to the comic book store tomorrow and thinking about about picking up a Superman trade since the only ones I have of his are Red Son, Kingdom Come, Hunter/Prey and for some strange reason True Brit and RUin Revealed.

Is Birthright the trade where Superman does the whole shoot you in the face at point blank range and catch the bullet before it hits you trick? Cause I really want that particular book.

Yep!

JoeUser on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah, I dug the first trade of scalped. The downside about comics is that in the U.S, superheroes have been such a dominant force in them that its a difficult shadow for a non-hero comic to step out from under.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Geoff Johns even managed to make Supergirl likeable this week

is there anything this Brainiac arc can't do?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know, I'm actually going to be a little bit sad if Superman finds the real Kandor, or solves the mystery of Kandor. That's always been the great mystery. The one thing that has always baffled him. If he finally has the answers, its like an entire portion of the Superman mythos will be gone.

Lucascraft on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I never really understood the "Man of Tomorrow" thing

The human race will evolve into to super powered beings. Grant Morrison said it and he doesn't lie.

Algertman on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    You know, I'm actually going to be a little bit sad if Superman finds the real Kandor, or solves the mystery of Kandor. That's always been the great mystery. The one thing that has always baffled him. If he finally has the answers, its like an entire portion of the Superman mythos will be gone.
    Apparently he does solve it, and there'll be a few thousand Kryptonians running around in the near future.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FiggisFiggis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Algertman wrote: »

The human race will evolve into to super powered beings. Grant Morrison said it and he doesn't lie.

Was it Alan Moore who wanted to make Krypton the Earth in the far future?

Figgis on
    edited August 2008
    Figgis wrote: »

Superman: Red Son did this, and Millar made it sound like Grant was the first to think of it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't know if Alan Moore had the idea, but Mark Millar certainly did by way of Red Son.

TeaSpoon on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The way I always thought of it, at least in its original context, is that space and science fiction and advanced alien technology are all a part of the future, and therefore "tomorrow." Superman is the Man of Tomorrow because he's part of something far more advanced than modern earth.

Lucascraft on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

I don't know if Alan Moore had the idea, but Mark Millar certainly did by way of Red Son.

An ending that was originally Grant Morrison's idea.

Furu on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Furu wrote: »

An ending that was originally Grant Morrison's idea.

I might add that's one of my all time favorite endings to a comic book. It's just so full of awesome. The whole narration is excelent.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always really like the ending to Superman: Birthright. Corny as all hell, but I imagine it would look awesome as one long camera shot set to the Superman theme march.

Wildcat on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So what's the general consensus on the Man of Steel origin v Birthright?

I haven't read either (although I read some of the Byrne run along with most of the Death/Return of Superman arc as a kid), but I've read summaries and the father conflict in Birthright really jives with my concept of the character. I'm starting a collection of DC trades and although I'm planning on getting Man of Steel at the moment, I could still be swayed.

Neither is direct canon at this point, correct? Is there a new origin coming?

HadjiQuest on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Birthright is an excellent story

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    agreed.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Out of curiosity, have you read the Man of Steel origin at all?

Does the Birthright story hammer on the melodrama a ton to appeal to a smallville audience?

HadjiQuest on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

Out of curiosity, have you read the Man of Steel origin at all?

Does the Birthright story hammer on the melodrama a ton to appeal to a smallville audience?

I haven't read Man of Steel, but I've read Birthright and it's an excellent story that's worth reading

And no

Garlic Bread on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It really doesn't matter much anymore which origin story is "canon." Unless it's written by Geoff Johns, nothing in these retold origin stories significantly affects the current continuity stories.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. If it's a good story (Birthright) then it deserves to be told even if things in it are never really mentioned or don't jive with modern stories (Rainbow life vision).

Lux on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Birthright should really be the new Superman movie that Warner's is rebooting.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wait just how much is Geoff Johns retconning with Brainiac?

Sars_Boy on
    edited August 2008
    completley redoing him

which frankly is a good thing in my opinion, the comics version of Brainiac is awful

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    yeah but now he's just kinda galactus

at least so far

Sars_Boy on
    edited August 2008
    what

that is a terrible comparison

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    hmm double post

Sars_Boy on
    edited August 2008
    He is an ancient giant space robot who goes around terrifiying/destroying planets and now he's coming to earth

as a plot device he is pretty similar

Sars_Boy on
    edited August 2008
    his motivation and methods are completley different though.

I mean yes he's a Galactus level threat, but so are plenty of other villains.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    also he's not a giant

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    his methods are not really differen't at all

as far as his motivations, I'm not talking about that

I'm just saying for the sake of the story thus far

he is pretty much like galactus

Sars_Boy on
    edited August 2008
    I'm sorry I didnt realize Galactus kept cities from every planet he eats

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    I was more talking about the sending out a robot to find worlds that her could do his thing to

and besides i'm not comparing specific details

look all i'm saying is that I thought of galactus multiple times throughout the story

Sars_Boy on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's appears to me as if Johns is using the Superman:Animated template for Brainiac, and cramming all of the past versions into that, ala his Hawkman fix.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, the first thing I thought was, "Oh, so he's making him just like the animated version."

Which is cool, since the DCAU version was awesome. Also, I like how things from those cartoons keep making their way into the comics.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Braniac was second only to Darkseid as far as the best things about the Superman series was concerned.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008

Bazzam.

Apparently Jerry Siegel's original origin idea was for superman to be the last child before earth's destruction, literally a super-powered boy of tomorrow, and sent back in time to the current era.

HadjiQuest on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    hey, so all star number 12 is coming out in a couple of weeks. that's gonna be excellent.

i just re-read them all and i think i know kind of where it's going. speculation!
    dr quintum is wrong and it only looks like superman is dying. instead, he's begun evolving into the fantastic golden superman, the one who is presented as the "leader of the superman squad" in the flashback issue where pa kent dies. re-reading golden superman's conversation with regular superman, it's so clear that it's old superman talking to young superman. so basically i think lex is going to get beat up

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    hey, so all star number 12 is coming out in a couple of weeks. that's gonna be excellent.

i just re-read them all and i think i know kind of where it's going. speculation!
    dr quintum is wrong and it only looks like superman is dying. instead, he's begun evolving into the fantastic golden superman, the one who is presented as the "leader of the superman squad" in the flashback issue where pa kent dies. re-reading golden superman's conversation with regular superman, it's so clear that it's old superman talking to young superman. so basically i think lex is going to get beat up
    Well, wasn't Golden Superman basically the Prime Superman (ie Kal-El from the year 53 thousand and something) from DC One Million anyway?

Wildcat on
    edited September 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Bazzam.

Apparently Jerry Siegel's original origin idea was for superman to be the last child before earth's destruction, literally a super-powered boy of tomorrow, and sent back in time to the current era.

Supes would be so much more interesting if that were the case.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »

Well, wasn't Golden Superman basically the Prime Superman (ie Kal-El from the year 53 thousand and something) from DC One Million anyway?

that's the other reason i think it!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg