As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need more cable!

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
I just moved, and my 360's current position is farther from the router than it used to be. My old ethernet cable is not gonna cut it anymore. I figure I have 3 options.

1. Bite the bullet and get that wireless dongle. It's $100, ouch.

2. Hack together a wireless reciever with that firmware upgrade. A little cheaper, but it's more crap behind the already crowded TV stand.

3. Buy new ethernet cable. This also sucks. The one I had was 50 ft. (I think). Going up to a 75 or 100 ft. cable, they get pricey.

Is there a way to join two cables end-to-end? What would this device be called? I have the 50 and a 15 ft that came with the xbox. Together, they should be sufficient.

captaink on

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You're looking for a female-to-female Ethernet coupler, like the one here. The link is just a Google-first-hit reference -- you may be able to find something like that cheaper elsewhere.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119191

Not too bad in terms of price. Just don't buy from somewhere like Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City... they rip you off on cable pricing.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wow that makes a difference. I think a 100ft at CC was about $65. Bastards

captaink on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I bought this, the logitech Play-Link, for something like $20 at a bestbuy when I got my 360 and didn't want the cord going all the way across our apartment floors. I also recommend it in every thread I see link this. Works great, very cheap, and its 'wireless'.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you have the know how and the equipment(or access to) it's not to difficult to splice together one.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

.kbf? on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can get an entire ethernet KIT (crimper, plugs, and cable) for less than the price of the CC or BB prices, but if you've never seen it done, it can be tricky. I've done it (5,000 times over for Quakecon every year) but it is definitely not any easier; the only thing you learn to do is hold the wires tightly while you slide the plug on.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I thought about learning how do to that, but I really don't need to.

I ended up buying a cable off of Newegg for $15 shipped. The shipping was more than the damn cable. Oh well, still a hell of a lot cheaper than CC or BB.

captaink on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    www.monoprice.com

The only place you need to buy cabling from, period.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Damn. I couldn't remember the name of it.

captaink on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You still got a good deal on that link for newegg. I don't know about shipping, but the cable price was only $0.08 more than monoprice. You could have gotten really screwed. I actually like Rosewell's snag guard a lot more than monoprice's. But the 1ft cables I need are $0.30 cheaper at monoprice.

Dark Shroud on