As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e Discussion] Jim thinks this thread title shouldn't change so often

1646566676870»

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    4e is fun when maptools lets me get a decent init roll. :x
    yea, I noticed that Maptools tends to roll low... lol.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Random character idea: warforged Fey pact warlock who wants to be a real human (possibly paragon multiclassed into fighter).

Something about this warforged going into the Feywild and chilling with the Unseelie Court or what have you really appeals to me.

Warforged leaders can take the Lifeseeker paragon path, so you could also make a druid or shaman (whichever is the leader) when the PH2 comes out.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The one thing i am/was a little disappointed in was the lack of racial paragon paths. They should be really easy to make too.

Just key their attack abilities off of one of the abilities they boost and make their features enhance their racial flavor.

E.G. A dwarf

Racial PP 1:

Encounter 11: Con vs AC
    Trigger: An enemy uses a power that pushes or pulls you or an ally
    Target: Any enemy
    Immediate Interrupt:
    Weapon: 2[W] + Con and negate any amount of triggering movement.

Utility 12: Daily
    Minor Action
    Make a saving throw and spend a healing surge. Add your con modifier to the saving throw and hit points received.

Daily 20:
    Con vs AC
    Burst 1
    Weapon: 3[W] + Con
    Effect: You and all adjacent alliesallies are immune to knockdown any forced movement powers until the end of the encounter

Action Point Power, 11: When you spend an action point any attack you make also pushes the target a number of squares equal to your con modifier

Other power, 11: You may use your second wind twice in an encounter

Other power 16: You gain +1 to attack with axes and hammers.

Or something similar.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would be more than ok with that. I always liked the idea behind the paragon stuff from 3.5. I never used it, but the idea behind it was always pretty awesome.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I am starting to designing my world and first adventure for D&D4E, anyone wanna give me some basic tips?

All I have for players so far is a Dragon born Paladin and a Tiefling Wizard as player characters, and the first little corner of the world mapped out.

I should have more world history and three more players for the first session next week sometime.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    basic tip number one: if it doesn't pertain to your players, don't worry about it.

basically what I am saying here is don't get too wrapped up in your world-building and fall in love with stuff that your group probably doesn't care about and won't ever encounter. concentrate on making the game the most FUN for your group and everything else will pretty much fall into place after that.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Part of the problem with Paragon Progression was that you always lost "main class" progression. With paragon paths you don't ever have to do that. Its just a Paragon path that cues off an ability score that you have had a boost to.

E.G. wizards could take that Paragon Path if they wanted a bit more Gish and defensive abilities in their pushing. Its great for a Dwarven Staff Wizard or a Dwarven Axe/hammer fighter. A wisdom one would work for an OA fighter, Cleric, or orb wizard. The con one works for a warlock as well.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Has anyone homebrewed a good monk as a holdover until PHB II?

cytorak on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Random character idea: warforged Fey pact warlock who wants to be a real human (possibly paragon multiclassed into fighter).

Something about this warforged going into the Feywild and chilling with the Unseelie Court or what have you really appeals to me.

Warforged leaders can take the Lifeseeker paragon path, so you could also make a druid or shaman (whichever is the leader) when the PH2 comes out.

Yeah, but I'm more for the whole Faustian pact aspect of the thing than for the Lifeseeker/Reforged type of philosophizin'.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What is the Unseelie Court?

Also, you don't need to be a warlock to have made a deal with the Devil. You could be any Divine Power Source Character.

But for pure "Foustian" fun, try

Warlock. Strength/Charisma primary, con/wisdom or con/int secondary.

Multi-class Paladin. Take a Paladin Paragon Path. Take Eternal Seeker and then end your tenure in the game with no warlock powers what-so-ever except the at wills, utility powers, and your warlock curse abilities.

[I.E. Warlock takes Paladin Multi-Class + Encounter Swap feat + Daily Swap Feat + Utility swap feat(Optional). Eternal Seeker lets you choose any classes powers when you level up for encounter and daily. Choose Paladin/Fighter/Warlord powers instead of warlock powers. You end up with 2 dailies and 2 encounters chosen from any list. 1 paladin daily power(swapped in for a warlock power via feat), 1 paladin encounter power(swapped in for a warlock power via feat), and then your paragon path powers.

You will still be very much a striker with your curse intact.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    basic tip number one: if it doesn't pertain to your players, don't worry about it.

basically what I am saying here is don't get too wrapped up in your world-building and fall in love with stuff that your group probably doesn't care about and won't ever encounter. concentrate on making the game the most FUN for your group and everything else will pretty much fall into place after that.

One of the reasons I've been trying to keep the area of the word the players will adventure in small, at least for the heroic tier.

I've got some basic history, but not alot.

Basically I've got 11 cities/towns/interesting places in a three or four day travel time square area, Including a whole wooded area for elves and half elves, another wooded area for Elderin. Three cities for Tieflings Dragonborn and Dwarfs that sit basically in front of passes that lead to terrible dark nasty places full of wandering tribes of orcs or demons or undead. A halfling settlement on the mouth of a river . Two cities that work as crossroads, one on a place where some rivers meet, and another on a place where some actual roads meet. Finally a desecrated temple of pelor, and a gate to the a demiplane full of demons.

The last human empire had a war with the dragonborn a long time ago. Their leaders decided to make a deal with orcus to destroy the dragonborn, but when the dragonborn were finally pushed out of their homelands in the north to the northwestern planes, were the elves and eldarin live in the woods near the sea of pelor, and the Human empire asked for the lands the demons had conquered they were betrayed and punished by being turned into tieflings and their land was made a land of barren sands that they were eventually pushed out of by orcs (who are better suited to live in a desert.) to the southeatern corner of the northwestern planes.

The surviving tieflings then built a wall and a self sufficient city behind it to defend the fertile northwestern planes from massive orc raids that happen at times. They never really saw the dragonborn, because there was a canyon between their areas.

Then about 100 years ago or so, the dragonborn war to hold the demons out of the planes was going poorly, there were several breaches of the battle lines and the race itself was dwindling, untill a great hero known now as an avatar of bahumet, marched straight for orcus's camp, and won a great victory, giving his life to raise great barrier mountains too keep the demons out. Orcus, in his rage, and trapped in the mountains, created a great hellish demiplane at the mid point between the mountains. (Basically a giant volcanic crater with a great bridge over it to a gate at the other end, allowing some of the demons still on the other side of the mountains to march on the new dragonborn city that sprung at the great avatar's camp. About the same time halflings were building their ettlements behind the dragonborn lines.

About 50 years ago some humans that had long ago left, sailed back in search of the long lost temple of pelor, and setup a fort city on a hilly peninsula they call the peninsula of the sun. And have since expanded quickly into most of the settlements of the halflings and even to the dragonborn and up to the dwarf keep that keeps the undead from the frozen north out of the planes (which the made an oath to do for all time with the eldarin and elves) but they mostly keep away from the tiefling city, after they heard about what happened.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So.

Dwarven hammerer.

Seems to be a bit.... strong.

Especially when recharge rolling brings back the shield bash EVERY SINGLE ROUND.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    So.

Dwarven hammerer.

Especially when recharge rolling brings back the shield bash EVERY SINGLE ROUND.

?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    So.

Dwarven hammerer.

?

As in he kept rolling sixes or fives on the recharge.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So.

Dwarven hammerer.

?

Recharge can be hilarious. Shadowfell Keep Spoiler follows
    In one of my group's attempts at Shadowfell Keep, the halfling slinger at the dig site recharged his ability every round, and critted twice per round the first two rounds, then hit two more times, then critted two more times. He basically wiped out the whole party with 12 attacks in 4 rounds.

Leemo on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Leemo wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So.

Dwarven hammerer.

?

Recharge can be hilarious. Shadowfell Keep Spoiler follows
    In one of my group's attempts at Shadowfell Keep, the halfling slinger at the dig site recharged his ability every round, and critted twice per round the first two rounds, then hit two more times, then critted two more times. He basically wiped out the whole party with 12 attacks in 4 rounds.
    In the final battle of my first module in my campaign on Saturday, Damocles kept recharging his leaf on the wind ability every round (and it was a five/six recharge). It basically meant he drove them nuts as he kept constantly switching out the rogue and wizard/warlock into horrible positions. Good times were had by all in the end.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    New thread encounter: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=6712559

100000 xp to all who post in it.

Goose! on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am starting to designing my world and first adventure for D&D4E, anyone wanna give me some basic tips?

All I have for players so far is a Dragon born Paladin and a Tiefling Wizard as player characters, and the first little corner of the world mapped out.

I should have more world history and three more players for the first session next week sometime.
    I dunno dude. If you're writing content for yourself as an exercise in well, writing. I say, do it. The important thing to note here is that you don't want to stuff your world down your players throat.

I mean, the campaign that I have going on here is only one small part of a larger whole. it takes place in a time period way before my irl players. there's a lot of little details that I write, and have... because well, WRITING IS KEEN FUN. It's ok to do it, imo.

But... that doesn't necessarily mean you tell the players, or somehow incorporate every detail about your world into your campaign. Again, balance is key. If your players want to know more, you tell them, or incorporate more into the game. Just my thoughts.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    EDIT: moving to the new thread

Super Namicchi on
This discussion has been closed.