As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

.hack Series: Come on...I'm right here...

14567810»

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    You can still find the first series in used game stores, and even online at like Amazon. They sell for about 20 USD on Amazon. The original four, however, are very dated, and after playing G.U. I couldn't bring myself to go through them. I'm told the original four do have a better story, but the gameplay was boring my eyeballs out.

You might have better luck trying to find them all in a batch off of ebay. Thats what I did. I even got all the DVDs of Liminality along with them, which often get left out of the used packages. I've been binging this series so badly. Watched .hack//sign in about 3 days. About 6 hours into .hack//Outbreak. Have .hack//Legend of Twilight sitting on my shelf waiting for me to beat the games, and I've been reading AI Buster.

On a side note, don't read AI Buster. This shit has a 1st grade reading level. I kid you not. Just read the wikipedia entry.

Namrok on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Namrok wrote: »
    You can still find the first series in used game stores, and even online at like Amazon. They sell for about 20 USD on Amazon. The original four, however, are very dated, and after playing G.U. I couldn't bring myself to go through them. I'm told the original four do have a better story, but the gameplay was boring my eyeballs out.

You might have better luck trying to find them all in a batch off of ebay. Thats what I did. I even got all the DVDs of Liminality along with them, which often get left out of the used packages. I've been binging this series so badly. Watched .hack//sign in about 3 days. About 6 hours into .hack//Outbreak. Have .hack//Legend of Twilight sitting on my shelf waiting for me to beat the games, and I've been reading AI Buster.

On a side note, don't read AI Buster. This shit has a 1st grade reading level. I kid you not. Just read the wikipedia entry.

I was eyeing AI Buster once, its really that bad huh? I mean, Ive watched mostly and read mostly eveything else .hack related that Ive seen but never picked that up.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    mastrius wrote: »

I was eyeing AI Buster once, its really that bad huh? I mean, Ive watched mostly and read mostly eveything else .hack related that Ive seen but never picked that up.

Seriously? Imagine Brian Herbert was writing childrens books. On the bright side, it's a short read. Sure its 250 pages or so, but the font is huge, the spacing is generous, and like I said, it has a zygote reading level.

Edit: Oh! I do want to ask, how much of the manga is worth reading? A lot of it seems to be retellings of the games. Does it honestly add anything to the story, or is it just a cash in?

Namrok on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Seriously? Imagine Brian Herbert was writing childrens books. On the bright side, it's a short read. Sure its 250 pages or so, but the font is huge, the spacing is generous, and like I said, it has a zygote reading level.

Edit: Oh! I do want to ask, how much of the manga is worth reading? A lot of it seems to be retellings of the games. Does it honestly add anything to the story, or is it just a cash in?

Honestly...Id go with cash in, its not bad because I do likes my manga but..well..it depends, which manga are we talking here? The G.U. manga is basically a horribly cut-down version of the game, and as for the other .hack manga, I did like those, short, but good.

And ok, I shall laugh at AI Buster.

mastrius on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

While The original series has a better plot then G.U., the problem is they don't tell you it in the game. They expect you to buy a guide book that explains the better parts of the story. That will never be released in America to boot.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I loved the two AI Buster novels myself. They did a good job of filling in some of the gaps of the first .hack series (games, anime and manga), and introducing more of the vagrant AI's. Who've I always thought were interesting beings in general.

So... I guess it's a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing.

The only sections of .hack that I didn't like were the TWILIGHT anime (loved the manga though) and the "Another Birth" novels.
    Twilight anime I didn't like because it just FORGOT that it took place in a game about 75% of the time. That, and one of the characters becomes an INCREDIBLY standard damsel in distress as things go on.

Another Birth novels I didn't like because it's just BORING if you've ever actually played the games. Pretty much a straight re-telling of the games, with some minor "real life" moments and some disjointed moments where Black Rose wasn't actually involved in the main plot, so, well, nothing actually happens.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Daww. You like the insecure ones, right?

... you know... come to think of it, it is possible. I mean, I did like Aurica in Ar Tonelico too. I guess I do like characters who start out insecure and then grow to become a stronger person.

Though I do have ... limits with such characters. The third Revatail in act 3 of Ar Tonelico annoyed the hell out of me. Ugh.

Also, "Tsundere"* characters generally sort of bother me anyways. Though yeah, I'm aware that Haseo is technically one himself and I just love him to pieces.

*characters who start out strong/maybe a bit bitchy but then grow to become demure and have a heart of gold!

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How can a player die, though? At most they'd go into a coma, otherwise they'd probably just respawn at town. :P

Well... it's possible. Heart stoppage, accidental suicide, etc... It just doesn't happen much in the .hack stories for some reason. Apparently Harald (game creator) died while in-game though. (though that might of been partially intentional...)

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alright...I completed 10 blocks of the FOP. Doesn't seem too bad so far...I pimped out Silabus and Atoli, and they're now rocking with kickass armor and weapons.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! So I'm fighting Phase 4, and every single time I finally protect break him, before I can pull up the skill menu, a cutscene for one of his attacks kicks in and by the time its over, he's restored the protection.

I had to protect break him 4 times before I could finally drain him. I thought that would never end!

Namrok on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So

Fighting the last boss in Vol. 2 with just Haseo and using Flicking Reaper?

That felt so good.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I do like the GU+ mangas as they are a slightly different take on everything.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Honestly...Id go with cash in, its not bad because I do likes my manga but..well..it depends, which manga are we talking here? The G.U. manga is basically a horribly cut-down version of the game, and as for the other .hack manga, I did like those, short, but good.

And ok, I shall laugh at AI Buster.

AI Buster isn't that bad. If anything, it suffers from a not-too-hot translation here and there...
    Mainly with the in-game terms for classes and the like as well as the gender of one of the offline characters who becomes important in a later .hack story.

Tokyopop really got burned by the fans over it though. Enough that I believe they consult a few of the hardcore ones during their future .hack media translations now.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think Ill check em out eventually anyways, I mean, how could I not read everything if Ill read all the other stuff, and I do see what you mean with the mangas its just...well, ya know, it is basically a cash in, its not bad but....so far I actually liked the novels, not so bad, although yeah another birth was basically just a retelling but even so, I liked it.

Another thing, I hate the "Im an asshole but now Im a nice guy." thing too, it really annoys me, I loved Haseo when he was all "fuck everything!" but then he turns...nicer, and its not as fun, its fun just to have a complete asshole... right vegeta? (but even he changed EVENTUALLY...) *sigh...*

mastrius on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think Ill check em out eventually anyways, I mean, how could I not read everything if Ill read all the other stuff, and I do see what you mean with the mangas its just...well, ya know, it is basically a cash in, its not bad but....so far I actually liked the novels, not so bad, although yeah another birth was basically just a retelling but even so, I liked it.

Another thing, I hate the "Im an asshole but now Im a nice guy." thing too, it really annoys me, I loved Haseo when he was all "fuck everything!" but then he turns...nicer, and its not as fun, its fun just to have a complete asshole... right vegeta? (but even he changed EVENTUALLY...) *sigh...*

Hmm...I don't know...I never cared for Haseo when he was being an asshole. He had some snide remarks that were funny sometimes, but most of the time he came off as a petulant, somewhat whiny, angsty teenager(Which I found funny since his VA also does the english VA for Sasuke in Naruto)...which I guess wouldn't be too far off taking everything that happened game-wise. He got better as the game progressed, imo.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I dunno Haseo was still an ass even after he opened up to people.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I suppose, I just like to have a good asshole every once in a while.

Edit: you know what I mean...

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Speaking of Haseo's personality, I got around to watching the 4koma videos on Volume 3's disc. I got a good chuckle out of them.

EDIT: I think I liked Haseo better after he stopped being a total ass. I know I really didn't like how he treated Silabus and Gaspard at the beginning, and it's nice having a character who will admit that he was in the wrong. Besides, it's not like he's a total softie. Fuck with his friends, and he'll fuck you up.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Meh, he turns too soft, I loved when he was just a total dick to everyone, and hey, silabus and gaspard are idiots, I hate them anyways, I couldve easily done without their annoyance during the games.

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Man, I've had to deal with my share of dick teenagers in high school and playing online games myself. I rather like seeing someone who's (eventually) more mature.
    The only possible exception I would give would has his "YOU GONNA GET RAPED" face when he first summons Skeith. And that's because it was a great cutscene in a "Holy shit, that's fucking disturbing" way.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck yeah. Vol. 3 is shipping.

Punk do you have aim, mangs.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yes I do.

PunkBoy412

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Man, I've had to deal with my share of dick teenagers in high school and playing online games myself. I rather like seeing someone who's (eventually) more mature.
    The only possible exception I would give would has his "YOU GONNA GET RAPED" face when he first summons Skeith. And that's because it was a great cutscene in a "Holy shit, that's fucking disturbing" way.

Well of course, we all have, Im one of them kids who always gets picked on because they think I wont do anything about it, damn my hair for making me look so emo, but despite their assholishness its different with Haseo, I just found it funny, not really a "assholes are so cooool!" thing, I was just laughing my ass off at all his remarks to everything. And hey, despite their douchebaggery I still loved high school >.>

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    In semi related news....I fail at making a decent Alkaid CAS. :(

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

If possible, base it on Talim. Or is it the costume options?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Well of course, we all have, Im one of them kids who always gets picked on because they think I wont do anything about it, damn my hair for making me look so emo, but despite their assholishness its different with Haseo, I just found it funny, not really a "assholes are so cooool!" thing, I was just laughing my ass off at all his remarks to everything. And hey, despite their douchebaggery I still loved high school >.>

I think what makes me like Haseo, even when he's in "asshole mode", is that even though he tries SO HARD to be bad ass, a lot of the time, he just really ISN'T. It just made him adorable to me. And yeah, a lot of his remarks were just damned hilarious. Hell, even some of his "wrong" responses to the e-mail chains had me laughing. But yeah, I was happy when Haseo mellowed out too.
    Though his out-and-out OMG CRAZY moments were somewhat missed. Heh, heh.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008

If possible, base it on Talim. Or is it the costume options?

Costume options. I could try to improvise...but she'd just end up looking like a generic character. There really isn't much that looks close to her signature outfit.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm...I'm about to move from Disc 1 to Disc 2 and I have a question...does finishing the Book of Ryu or any of those search n' find quests you get have any positive effects on disc 2?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...I'm about to move from Disc 1 to Disc 2 and I have a question...does finishing the Book of Ryu or any of those search n' find quests you get have any positive effects on disc 2?

Just Wallpapers, Music and Movies. In G.U. they are only obtained in their respective volumes, however. Trying to obtain them after skipping a volume just nets you money.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565