As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - I'm Barack Obama and I APPROVE THIS ASS-KICKIN'

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My Mass Effect character looks a lot like Jennifer. Odd. I wonder if I'll have enough money to get this and Clear Skies. Also I was having trouble playing the original Mercenaries on the 360, it just kept restarting the console although that might be the console itself and not the game :/

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey, I made a thread on this.

Aargh, I still need to wait till I get a PS3 to play this, and only after I bought Rock Band 2, so I'm looking to play this at November. :(

Ah well.

Also, post this video in the OP AT ONCE.

HOLY SHIT

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy shit.

I will do just that.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2008
    Also, let me say how glad I am that they're beefing up the weapon sounds in Mercs 2.

Because the guns in Merc 1 was really weak.

Antihippy on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Indeed she is.

Also, were there pre-order incentives for this? 'Cause I totally didn't get any and didn't think to ask.

I think I saw a beanie at Gamestop

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Holy shit Costanza, that's amazing. When did they release that, and where?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy shit Costanza, that's amazing. When did they release that, and where?

Last year I think onto youtube. They are kind spread out in the related videos section, here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM5icIQPsYQ&feature=related

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What are the two most important words related to this game? Nuclear. Bomb. That one clip was one of the most awe-inspiring things I've ever seen in a game.

Sure, there are games that let you use nuclear weapons, but I've never once been standing RIGHT THERE and made it happen. Who the hell cares if completely, totally, and utterly impossible to survive the explosion? Whoever I take out last is definitely getting a skull full of fissionable materials while I stand back and laugh.

Few things I really, really hope they fix, though. Number one was the price of using stuff vs. how much money you made. A lot of the stuff was so expensive that you felt like using it was a waste. Sure, they helped you out by giving you free stuff for missions so you wouldn't get stuck, but a lot of times I'd like to just drop a bunch of artillery shells on several targets without worrying about having enough money down the road. I mean, there were a couple really nice strikes that could wipe out all the money you made the entire game (save the very last bounty) in just 5-10 uses and that really irked me. If they don't at least make strikes/equipment cost less, hopefully you can get some sort of infinite money new game+ mode after beating the once.

The other thing that bugged me about Mercs was how there were several vehicles you simply could not purchase. A couple of the really nice helicopters, the Abrams tank, stuff like that. The super-nice American choppers were only available by somehow miraculously getting high enough to take one or just simply taking the reputation hit and shooting the pilot. I want to be able to buy ALL the vehicles in the game, starting at little rinky-dink junkpiles all the way up to cutting-edge jets and choppers. That way I don't have to choose between feeling like a jerk for killing an ally or missing out a kickass vehicle.

Third is the amount of ammo you can carry. If you ended up paying for something like an anti-tank missile launcher (a package that could run into the 40-50k range), you could carry something like 3 rounds for it. Ammo was sort of universal, but when you are trying to take out eight tanks from a hilltop and they keep shooting down the supply chopper, it gets really aggravating. I know there are other options to kill the tanks, but seriously, if we can survive a nuclear blast now, I think we can carry 3-4 times as much "heavy weapon" ammo. It's not like realism is even remotely an issue.

To be honest, though, even if they don't fix any of these problems, the option to drop an actual nuclear warhead on an aggravating target makes this already a day one purchase for me.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2008
    I think it's just generally accepted that mercenaries are way tougher than any pansy-boy Call of Duty 4 guys that can't handle a nuclear blast.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to have to get it on PS3.

Nuke blast will look so crisp.

Gorilla Salad on
  • wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The First Mercs had an Indiana Jones skin on the PS2, hopefully they include that and add the option to jump into a fridge.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heh, popped in the first game for a bit today again... just remembered that this has one of my favorite quotes from a video game.
    Plans are for bridge builders and mad scientists. I've got moxie...and guns

LockeCole on
    edited August 2008
    The First Mercs had an Indiana Jones skin on the PS2, hopefully they include that and add the option to jump into a fridge.

Sadly, this one is published by EA, not LucasArts.

No Han/Indiana skins.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2008

Sadly, this one is published by EA, not LucasArts.

No Han/Indiana skins.

EA has the Batman license though.

Maybe this is the Batman open-world they were talking about, with Pandemic......? :winky:

Antihippy on
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am totally buying this game on PC day one. I loved the first one and this looks amazing :D

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man I love that commercial.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hahahahaha

mohawk technoviking... hilarious

TyrantCow on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Heh, popped in the first game for a bit today again... just remembered that this has one of my favorite quotes from a video game.

At first, I thought "Oh, maybe I'll hold off on buying Mercenaries 2."

And then I realized that Jennifer Mui was back voiced by Jennifer Hale.

My next thought: "What the hell was I thinking?"

EDIT: That commercial is hilarious.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man that commercial sounds retarded. Good thing I know the game is going to rock.

Error on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man your opinion sounds retarded. That commercial's fucking awesome.

On another note, I'm torn. On one hand, I've got a power bleedin' PC that I just know could handle and tame this, plus free multiplayer. On the other hand, I'm bettin' this is gonna' have some bitchin' and awesome achievements, plus the whole e-peen thing, plus integrated voice chat and friends list and stuff.

Gah!

Sorenson on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I couldnt imagine playing this on PC.

This game is right up there at the top of the 'games to play on the couch with friends' list.

Yes, my PC could easily handle it and yes, there are many benefits.

But god damn my hdtv is shit hot and I like pizza.

The_Scarab on
    edited August 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »

Until Mass Effect I didn't even really know who Jennifer Hale was, but then I went back and looked up a list of all the awesome voice work she has done on video games.

LockeCole on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Until Mass Effect I didn't even really know who Jennifer Hale was, but then I went back and looked up a list of all the awesome voice work she has done on video games.
    Seriously, are there any other female VAs that do games?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

Seriously, are there any other good female VAs that do games?

Fixed for more serious question

LockeCole on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Alyx Vance has a good VA but the actor doesn't really do much other than half-life.

But yeah Mercanaries is pretty cool

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll be all up in this blowing up unruly, Venezuelan drug lords with pretty bombs.

Ranced on
    edited August 2008

Alyx Vance has a good VA but the actor doesn't really do much other than half-life.

Also, I'm super excited that Amy Lee is back as Fiona. I'm gonna get my fix of hot accents.

Hm, I don't want to get off topic...but a VA discussion thread would be kinda cool. Dunno if it would last.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited August 2008

Also, I'm super excited that Amy Lee is back as Fiona. I'm gonna get my fix of hot accents.

Hm, I don't want to get off topic...but a VA discussion thread would be kinda cool. Dunno if it would last.

Probably not unfortunately...

What else has Amy Lee done for VA? now that you mention it I really like Fiona's voice too.

LockeCole on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That commercial is great. Even though I loathe the use of the phrase "OH NO YOU DIDN'T" (with or without sharper contractions), that song is fun and a breath of fresh air from rock or metal or whatever they usually shovel in behind the footage for a game. It's almost always one extreme or the other: crazy intense music, or deathly serious music to inspire heroics.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
    edited August 2008
    Ok guys, this is why we should be grateful for co-op.

Helicopter on tank action is HOT.

Antihippy on
    edited August 2008
    Oh my god. Is that running on 360 hardware? Because holy fucking shit that is looking great. That air strike from about the 33% mark? Christ. Using a chopper winch to pick up a tank and let it shoot at stuff from the air? Ingenius. I'm calling it here: achievement for swinging your boddy's car around and tossing him like a god damn olympic throwing hammer or something.

The only thing that annoys me, though, are all those strange little beeps and blips that kept coming up during the video, which I'm guessing is stuff like mission alerts. But still, mother of pearl!

Sorenson on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, I LOVE when devs are more concerned about making a fun, awesome game than making sure they don't put in anything game-breaking. Nuclear warheads? Assault chopper + battle tank combos? Rocket buggy? Grenade sportscar? Muscle car converted to a monster truck with nitro boost? Yeah, it's about as far from realism as you can get, but it's the same distance away from boring or monotonous. And you get so much cash from just destroying things that it doesn't look like having money for strikes or support drops will ever be a problem.

Want. This. Game!

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2008
    Guys.

What if we replace the tank with another assault chopper?

Will... will the universe be strong enough to handle it?

Antihippy on
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Guys.

What if we replace the tank with another assault chopper?

Will... will the universe be strong enough to handle it?

this. this cannot be. but. why stop there? attach a tank at the bottom?

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Because it's 2 player only my man.

Though my head would be blown away if they somehow integrate 4-8 player co-op. Stacking 8 helicopters and flying around shooting everywhere.

I'm depressed that it isn't more than 2-player now. :(

Antihippy on
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    You could switch off from tank to helicopter with the rapelling line theoretically

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited August 2008

Though my head would be blown away if they somehow integrate 4-8 player co-op. Stacking 8 helicopters and flying around shooting everywhere.

There ain't a man on this earth that didn't immedietly start hearing Flight of the Valkyries when that bit of the video popped up. Not a one.

And now if you'll excuse me, I've got a 360 preorder to make and a mp3 to queue up.

Sorenson on
    edited August 2008

What else has Amy Lee done for VA? now that you mention it I really like Fiona's voice too.

According to IMDB...Mercenaries 1.
    Sorenson wrote: »

There ain't a man on this earth that didn't immedietly start hearing Flight of the Valkyries when that bit of the video popped up. Not a one.

And now if you'll excuse me, I've got a 360 preorder to make and a mp3 to queue up.

I'm hoping you can load up a transport helicopter with AI friendlies and a co-op buddy. If so, I'm readying up "Paint it Black" for those hot LZ landings.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png