As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

100 pages of fallout goodness, needs new home!

1565758596062»

• Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See, people keep saying that mods are coming, but do we have any evidence that a game editor is going to be released with FO3?

Even if Bethesda doesn't release an editor (which I don't think they're doing, at least not right away) there will be mods. There won't be as many and they'll be slower to come out, but they'll be there.

Walrus Pete on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »
    God dammit - this would be coming out during a time when I have no 360... fuckers. I've only been waiting for this for 10 years.
    It's also coming out on PC - does that help?

No Sadly - I'll be moving country... Stupid Real Life.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See, people keep saying that mods are coming, but do we have any evidence that a game editor is going to be released with FO3?

Even if Bethesda doesn't release an editor (which I don't think they're doing, at least not right away) there will be mods. There won't be as many and they'll be slower to come out, but they'll be there.
    This.

As has been noted already, the PC release will be modded. I don't think there is any question about that. We've gotten used to games shipping with game editors, which is cool, but they're certainly not mandatory for game modding.

Shoegaze99 on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oblivion wasn't released with an editor either, as far as I can remember.

Suriko on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »

This.

As has been noted already, the PC release will be modded. I don't think there is any question about that. We've gotten used to games shipping with game editors, which is cool, but they're certainly not mandatory for game modding.

I'm stll pretty sceptical on that. It really is difficult to tell just what games will get a modding community sprining up around them. Some games and genres are more likely than others admittedly.

If there's no real support from Bethesda, I'm not sure we'll see more than a few things coming out for the game.

subedii on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »

This.

I'm stll pretty sceptical on that. It really is difficult to tell just what games will get a modding community sprining up around them. Some games and genres are more likely than others admittedly.

If there's no real support from Bethesda, I'm not sure we'll see more than a few things coming out for the game.

fun fact, the first few mods of oblivion were made without the use of the construction set.

Deaderinred on
    edited August 2008
    I think in this case, the series itself has too big a fanbase, and the developers themselves have too big a fanbase, for a modding community not to spring up around the game. You're absolutely right, with many games it's a crapshoot, but we're talking about developers who already have a huge modding community and a game engine that has a huge mod community with experienced modders. The Oblivion engine has been modded every which way to Sunday. Couple that with a game that many, many Fallout fans can't wait to "fix" and it's almost a sure thing, in my opinion.

Shoegaze99 on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure they'll release a mod kit later on down the line, I believe that's from their own mouths.

SkutSkut on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they'll release a mod kit later on down the line, I believe that's from their own mouths.

yeah, i guaran-damn-tee you its after they are done with whoring out "DLC's", they hated the fact noone on pc bought the oblivion ones due to the community making better and better stuff then their own shit.

Deaderinred on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    itt bethesda releases cosmetic car armor

freakish light on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dogmeat armour OLOL?

subedii on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Horse armor.

For you.

To wear.

BlackDove on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Horse cock for you to wear? Maybe they'll go the Too Human route and have a Norse cock for you to wear.

freakish light on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it acceptable to discuss/link leaked pictures?

nexuscrawler on
    edited August 2008
    We've been.

Shoegaze99 on
    edited August 2008
    nm then

Have we discussed how many people will die if they use the Morrowind/Oblivion leveling system?

nexuscrawler on
  • StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nm then

Have we discussed how many people will die if they use the Morrowind/Oblivion leveling system?

They're not. There are many various "zones" on the map that will have level ranges to them. so a zone may be level 3 to 6, if you enter the zone for the first time at level 2 then all creatures in the zone are set to level 3 forever. If you enter that zone for the first time at level 5, then all creatures are set to level 5 forever. If you enter that zone for the first time at level 11, then all craetures are set to level 6 forever.

Strikerkc on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think he meant the major/minor skill system, not level scaling.

And they're not using it. It's experience points, with three specialized skills, like in the old games.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloody mess is a fun trait.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited August 2008
    Good the minor/major/multiplier shit ruined those games for me

nexuscrawler on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloody mess is a bestest trait.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloody mess is a bestest perk.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
    edited August 2008
    Bloody mess is a bestest perk.

Hi5!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloody mess is lame, you don't get to see some of the best animations, and it makes the most violent one get boring.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloody mess is lame, you don't get to see some of the best animations, and it makes the most violent one get boring.

I don't think I've ever gotten bored with the violent deaths.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited August 2008
    Bloody mess is awesome, you do get to see the bestest animations, and it makes the most violent one so awesome.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloody mess is awesome, you do get to see the bestest animations, and it makes the most violent one so awesome.

No, you don't. You see the same animation every time.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Hitting that 100 page mark soon, should I copy pasta the op or does someone else want to make it?

SkutSkut on
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whoever does remake, change the thread name to "Fallout 3: DLC Dogmeat Armor $1.99"

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    nm then

They're not. There are many various "zones" on the map that will have level ranges to them. so a zone may be level 3 to 6, if you enter the zone for the first time at level 2 then all creatures in the zone are set to level 3 forever. If you enter that zone for the first time at level 5, then all creatures are set to level 5 forever. If you enter that zone for the first time at level 11, then all craetures are set to level 6 forever.

To be honest, I'm still not all that thrilled about this system either.

Is it really that difficult to just go back to the days of predetermining level range?

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

Is it really that difficult to just go back to the days of predetermining level range?

I don't see the problem. It allows them to make certain areas very difficult for low level characters, but prevents those same areas from being complete cake walks for higher level characters just entering them for the first time. It also prevents the original zones from all of a suden being populated by raiders with laser gatling guns and power armor.

Strikerkc on
    edited August 2008
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    nm then

To be honest, I'm still not all that thrilled about this system either.

this is advanced predetermined level range!

SkutSkut on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Its just so... artificial and game-y.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Its making an issue out of a non-issue.

In Fallout you knew that going to "The Glow" or the master's cathedral at level one was a bad idea and you didn't do it.

The end.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Only because we know about it. If we didn't, you wouldn't even notice it. It's a bit of TMI that should probably have been kept under the hood (though in fairness to Bethesda, I'm sure it was revealed specifically to address complaints about level scaling in Oblivion).

Shoegaze99 on
    edited August 2008
    Hey, page 100!

SkutSkut on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

It's better than the alternative system by far.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really like this hybrid level-scaling-in-a-range system, I hope the new NWN2 "Fallout in NWN2" style expansion that's coming out this year uses it.

KiTA on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Djiem on