As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] FAQ Thread !NDA dropped!

• BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have you already come to a preference? I can see being able to RvR anywhere to be both good and bad in some cases. Where as Core could be restrictive etc. This is obviously coming from someone who has not played so I may be wrong.

Babble on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Stealth" Related Questions
    • How does 'stealth' work in this game?
    • Based on the impressions in the OPs, it seems like the 'rogues' of WAR can only stealth for a very short period of time. Is this the same for both teh Witch Hunter and Witch Elf?
    • Does anyone else have 'stealth' or just the Witch's?
    • I've read it uses AP. How many AP do each character have and how fast does 'stealth' eat your AP? Will I be able to sneak up on people or mobs and attack while stealthed or is it a very situational ability?
    • Can I stealth in combat / pvp (as in, flagged, but not being targetted at the moment)?
    • Will I have to worry constantly about these rogue-like characters on my squishy mage as is the case in WoW or is it a fairly balanced ability?
    • Do stealth attacks lead to any kinds of stun lock or insta-gibs like in WoW?

Anything else related to stealth and the uses of it in this game would be useful.

KVW on
  • ::brainproxy::brainproxy Good day... Sunshine...Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think this game was designed for Open PvP. They allow it, sure.

I want PvP in the lakes, not when I'm doing quests/watching TV.

::brainproxy on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    • Based on the impressions in the OPs, it seems like the 'rogues' of WAR can only stealth for a very short period of time. Is this the same for both teh Witch Hunter and Witch Elf?
    • I've read it uses AP. How many AP do each character have and how fast does 'stealth' eat your AP? Will I be able to sneak up on people or mobs and attack while stealthed or is it a very situational ability?
    • Can I stealth in combat / pvp (as in, flagged, but not being targetted at the moment)?
    • Will I have to worry constantly about these rogue-like characters on my squishy mage as is the case in WoW or is it a fairly balanced ability?

Anything else related to stealth and the uses of it in this game would be useful.

Stealth is short-duration and drains AP when it's active. It's also subject to line of site, so if you stealth and run straight at someone, he'll probably see you from a ways away. Both witch elves and witch hunters have it.

The single cheesiest thing to come from stealth is the witch hunter's movement barb. It's a stealth opener that puts a debuff on the target so that for every step they take, they suffer damage. It's basically one big "fuck you" to casters, because if they run, they die. If they stay in melee range, they die.

But overall, it's a huge improvement from the situation with WoW's rogues, or (even worse) DAoC's rogues from a while back.

s3rial one on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KVW:

Stealth is mostly just used for getting away. Last I looked if you attacked from within stealth, you lose all of your AP.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KingMole wrote: »
    KVW:

Stealth is mostly just used for getting away. Last I looked if you attacked from within stealth, you lose all of your AP.

It's a fleeing tactic, like Flee! (twice run speed, lose all Stamina).

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited August 2008

You have a chance to be seen. It uses AP. About 1 min.. or was it 30 seconds? Someone will clarify.

Yes you can stealth in PvP mode.

They are designed to kill your squishy self. That being said, they don't have infinite AP and need that for abilities.

Insta-gibbage is not likely. You may die really fast, but most cloth wearers have a defense of some kind. It is NOT like WoW in this fashion. NO STUNLOCKS.

• HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Can I be a rogue?

No.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    s3rial one wrote: »

Stealth is short-duration and drains AP when it's active. It's also subject to line of site, so if you stealth and run straight at someone, he'll probably see you from a ways away. Both witch elves and witch hunters have it.

The single cheesiest thing to come from stealth is the witch hunter's movement barb. It's a stealth opener that puts a debuff on the target so that for every step they take, they suffer damage. It's basically one big "fuck you" to casters, because if they run, they die. If they stay in melee range, they die.

But overall, it's a huge improvement from the situation with WoW's rogues, or (even worse) DAoC's rogues from a while back.

Suddenly I want to play a Witch Elf (HATE the Bright Wizards (and completely annihilated people with them). Movement barbs are awesome.

But yeah, stealth takes a few seconds to get into, and then if you run straight towards someone, you're gonna die. They look like grey/brownish silhouettes.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited August 2008
    Hillean wrote: »

Can I be a rogue?

No.

That was MUCH better than mine...

edited August 2008
    Hillean wrote: »
    KingMole wrote: »
    KVW:

It's a fleeing tactic, like Flee! (twice run speed, lose all Stamina).

Well, I got it half-right.

:P Last time I played a Witch Hunter was in phase 3.1

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited August 2008
    Bright Wizards/Sorceresses are bugged at the moment. They likely won't be as heavy hitting as they are now.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Babble wrote: »
    Have you already come to a preference? I can see being able to RvR anywhere to be both good and bad in some cases. Where as Core could be restrictive etc. This is obviously coming from someone who has not played so I may be wrong.

This is from a previous response to someone in the other thread:
    I do not hate the chicken. I may be alone in this. It's another mechanic you have to face, and it doesn't bother me. I also think that, since this game is so PvPcentric already, there is no reason not to play on a core server. At higher levels, there's so little PvE space anyway, I don't see any reason to deny myself the possibility of doing a little gaming after a long day and feeling confident that I won't get ganked. I'll be PvPing constantly anyway, so it'll be nice to have that option.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How does the itemization work regarding bonuses? Do items contribute solely to stats (str, int, etc.) or do they grant ability bonuses too (- cooldown, +heal, etc.)?

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How does the itemization work regarding bonuses? Do items contribute solely to stats (str, int, etc.) or do they grant ability bonuses too (- cooldown, +heal, etc.)?

Most items give stat or resistance bonuses. Items later on can grant direct defense bonuses (+disrupt, dodge, block, parry) % and there are +AP Regeneration and +Morale Generation items as well.

AP Regen items tend to be king because if you regen AP faster then you don't have to wait for your abilities to be back up.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Babble wrote: »

This is from a previous response to someone in the other thread:
    I do not hate the chicken. I may be alone in this. It's another mechanic you have to face, and it doesn't bother me. I also think that, since this game is so PvPcentric already, there is no reason not to play on a core server. At higher levels, there's so little PvE space anyway, I don't see any reason to deny myself the possibility of doing a little gaming after a long day and feeling confident that I won't get ganked. I'll be PvPing constantly anyway, so it'll be nice to have that option.

Thanks, missed that. I already knew I wanted an RP server and from this I plan on going core.

Babble on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do engineers have some nice toys? Are they a pet class or not so much?

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    Do engineers have some nice toys? Are they a pet class or not so much?

Engineers get turrets (regular turret, turret with AoE chance, flame thrower turret) and land mines as well as a barbed wire AoE snare. There are some new things with regard to engineers but they haven't been released yet and so they're probably covered by the NDA still.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm kind of curious as to how the game is handling for people who are on machines at or around minimum spec?

Also, how does the game feel like it will be over the long term? It sounds like a lot of fun, but at the same time, is there a lot of content that will keep PVE type players going for a long time like more "care bear" style MMOs? Or are they counting on PVP/city sieging to keep people occupied mainly for the long haul?

Aoi on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When it comes to unlocks like titles and the Tome, is anything tied to your account or is it all per-character?

Zek on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious as to how the game is handling for people who are on machines at or around minimum spec?

The graphics options right now are not very detailed at all, so its really hard to say how much the game scales.

I am running a system with a 3700+ AMD, 2 GB RAM and a 7800GTX, and the game performs fairly poorly at any settings in heavy RvR. RvR is the biggest sore spot in the game in terms of optimization because the game gravitates towards fairly large conflicts and all of those spell effects going off and tracking of player movements is incredibly stressing. Without more refined graphic options right now some of the more intense RvR fighting makes the game nearly unplayable for me.

Zek: Character specific.

Scosglen on
    edited August 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    When it comes to unlocks like titles and the Tome, is anything tied to your account or is it all per-character?

Per-character.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Everything tome related is per-character, so far at least.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Also, how does the game feel like it will be over the long term? It sounds like a lot of fun, but at the same time, is there a lot of content that will keep PVE type players going for a long time like more "care bear" style MMOs? Or are they counting on PVP/city sieging to keep people occupied mainly for the long haul?
    Absolutely not on the PvE front. WAR isn't shy about throwing you into RvR. That reall is the heart of the game. There is very little PvE content.

s3rial one on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

The beta is fixed at medium specs, which on my laptop (Core 2 2.2ghz, 2gb RAM, 7400 128mb) runs ok, with bad-but-not-unplayable lag in huge (80-100+) RvR.

Honestly, I don't think anyone who sticks to *only* PvE will find much to do after 6 months to a year, outside of new content. There's a lot of challenging stuff, but only a fraction of the PvP content (which is infinitely more replayable).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited August 2008

If you're involved with Road-to-war.com, you get a special title if you complete a quest related to your beta account page. This is attached to your account, I presume.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Depends. If you're hardcore raiding or something, probably not. Personally I enjoy going into PvE and trying different classes learning their playstyle and generally enjoying the world. There are several different PQs to experience and many random little easter eggs (such as a time I clicked on a book by some random chick in the mountains and... she turned into a fiend of Slaanesh).

The story is generally well written and there are twenty different classes to play, so if I'm in the mood for some PvE I do not find my self disappointed often.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    edited August 2008
    That's a good point Iblis; not PvE, but there is plenty of non-RvR content like exploring. One could spend a month just digging around Altdorf or the IC.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Iblis wrote: »

Depends. If you're hardcore raiding or something, probably not. Personally I enjoy going into PvE and trying different classes learning their playstyle and generally enjoying the world. There are several different PQs to experience and many random little easter eggs (such as a time I clicked on a book by some random chick in the mountains and... she turned into a fiend of Slaanesh).

The story is generally well written and there are twenty different classes to play, so if I'm in the mood for some PvE I do not find my self disappointed often.

Also, there are 3 different areas from 1-40 for each paring. That is a lot of PvE.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I have a question about the magus: at what point do they start getting their demon turret things, and how does the class play in general? (If it is possible to relate it to a WoW class, that would help)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    So I have a question about the magus: at what point do they start getting their demon turret things, and how does the class play in general? (If it is possible to relate it to a WoW class, that would help)

I haven't played one but from seeing them they get their Pink Horror right from the start.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited August 2008
    Magus plays like... a Mage with Shaman totems maybe? They get a Pink Horror at Rank 3, iirc.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

If you're involved with Road-to-war.com, you get a special title if you complete a quest related to your beta account page. This is attached to your account, I presume.

What quest is that?

Zek on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Black Orc 31-32:

PvE you're pretty damn resilient. You can wade through even the nastiest stuff and come out the other side so long as you don't get knocked down. Sword and board is slow but steady damage; chaining moves together in PvE doesn't require a huge amount of thought as you quickly figure out optimal combos for situations. 2Handing you're still pretty tough and can tank up to 3 same-level mobs, and you do decent damage. The trick so far as I can see at the minute is knowing when and how to use stuff like Runtz and Hold da Line.

PvP wise you're best protecting people and finishing off weakened enemies, especially casters and such. You can dive straight into a knot of 20 and go down fighting after about 10 seconds give or take. You can take a huge amount of damage and lack of snares plus the general chaos of massive RvR combat means that you can be pretty tenacious when pursuing. Throwin' choppas all da way.

Black Orc also compells you to speak orky.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

For level when Magus get their first turret/daemon (which is the Long-Range Pink Horror) it's in the first 5 levels (I think level 5, maybe, but can't recall).

On how the class plays, that's hard to say right now as they're in the process of fixing it up to give it a better defined role.

EDIT: Me, slow? Noooo. Anyway, as they said, Pink Horror is from the start, but I don't recall how from-the-start. It's in the first hour or so, at least.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    That's a good point Iblis; not PvE, but there is plenty of non-RvR content like exploring. One could spend a month just digging around Altdorf or the IC.

Seriously, I was amazed when I first went to Altdorf. Originally I was just planning to see if I could stop in and see Karl Franz, but as I explored the palace I began to get a bit caught up. I think I ended up running around Altdorf for three hours, and, among other things I...
    Found a secret Chaos cult, started a drunken brawl, and got raped by a Great Unclean One who spawned and began rampaging through the slums due to the death and disease.

Edit: Oh, and on the Magus... it really depends on spec. If you go Havoc you become a ranged Nuker for example, but if you are Daemonology you become a PBAoE specialist. I think you get a Pink Horror at three, a Blue Horror at seven, and a Flamer at ten, but I am not completely sure on that.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, and I was just fighting a massive scrap in Chaos wastes, like 45 a side easy - Order were making a push for IC.

I was getting healed out of nowhere. I wasn't even in a party.

Blorky blork blork.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is there a "Wowhead" equivalent yet? I like playing with trees...

SpongeCake on
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I believe the first demon summon is level 4. They are the mirror of the engineers. The demon is confined to the summoning circle.

The class is pretty neat although I do not like the engineer mechanic on it personally. Only because the Magus should be the most mobile class since he's on a flying disc (very cool looking btw!) and yet his class mechanic is static summons! Okay, since I can't change the class, enough of that...

The class has a unique play style since he's a ranged caster but is tied to static turrets. This means you'll actually be in melee range much of the fight. One of the niftier attacks is having the disc (which is really a demon) swipe everything around you with its tentacles.

The class, to me, is definitely one of my favorites style wise and if they made him so he could cast while moving (since heck he's not moving at all -- the disc is!) it would be the best class ever made :) As is, I still like it and think it'll be a popular class.

Timmer on
    edited August 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Oh, and I was just fighting a massive scrap in Chaos wastes, like 45 a side easy - Order were making a push for IC.

I was getting healed out of nowhere. I wasn't even in a party.

Blorky blork blork.

It may be the nature of beta testers, it could be the early Scenarios, or maybe PQs, but it's amazing how well some PuGs work together.

As a shaman, I found I did a lot of dropping a series of random heals to power up my nukes, then blasting the shit out of someone, and going back to dropping HoTs. Plus the occasional run into enemy ranks to Eeek!.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.