As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do I need a new video card to go with my new monitor?

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
I have in the mail coming to me a 24" LCD, so everything will be running at 1900x1200.

My vid card is an 8800 GTS with 320 megs of ram.

Will I be able to run anything or am I locking myself out of playing games because my monitor is too big? I don't care about AA and AF and all that, heck, I dont even turn the details up all the way in all my games, but will I be able to run anything newish at that kind of resolution with the 8800 card?

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!
Lord Jezo on

• Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You should be fine.

But in general, you SHOULD upgrade. With the advent of the 8800GTS 512mb, your card suddenly became inferior, and that was years ago.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You're likely going to have troubles running games at 1900x1200, but there's no reason you have to be at that resolution.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd say leave it until you run across a game that struggles, and buy one then. My 8800GT has run everything I've thrown at it on my 24" LCD at 1920x1200, and its reasonably close to your card.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You could always run the games in a window at a more comfortable resolution.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    While it's always nicer to run at the resolution of the display, I don't find games are too bad at non-native resolutions on LCDs, at least shooters. I did that for a while when I got my 24.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hmm...

I will have to experiment then to see if I can run things at another resolution then.

With a Core 2 Duo 6600 chip what kind of card should I be running these days to actually get things nice on my monitor?

These days is it more important to get a new CPU or a better GPU?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd say CPU. If you upgrade your GPU, you're CPU would just bottle neck it.

I'd say go for one of the 4850 - 4870 line of Radeon cards. But atleast get a new Core-2-Duo before you do. E8400 is the prized winner in the Intel line of Duos now.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll second the 4850, unless you want to pony up the extra cash for a 4870.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    While it's always nicer to run at the resolution of the display, I don't find games are too bad at non-native resolutions on LCDs, at least shooters. I did that for a while when I got my 24.

Yeah, it's mostly things involving a lot of text that will really look bad at non-native resolutions. I've played platformers and FPSs at non-native resolutions and been fine. Strategy games, not so much.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Hmm...

I will have to experiment then to see if I can run things at another resolution then.

With a Core 2 Duo 6600 chip what kind of card should I be running these days to actually get things nice on my monitor?

These days is it more important to get a new CPU or a better GPU?

It's best to have a CPU and GPU that's well suited to each other, but if you're looking to play in high resolutions the GPU is the most important component. Playing a game at 640*480 and 1920*1200 is pretty similar to the CPU since most of it's work takes place before the rendering.

I currently have a GPU way overscaled to my CPU (a Nvidia 9600GT on a Athlon 3700+ 2200MHz single core) and the most games have very similar framerate at both 640*480 no FSAA and 1680 4xFSAA.

A test you might want to read: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gpu-upgrade,1928-8.html
    One example from that test: Crysis 1920*1200 High quality on a 9800GTX:
    The difference on a Quad core system going from 2.4 to 3.2 GHz, a 33% increase in CPU power, is a FPS boost of 1.5%. The difference between a Quad core at 3.2 GHz and a Dual core at 2.4Ghz is under 7%.

TLDR: If your CPU is not slowing you down on low resolutions it will not slow you down in high resolutions.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    it's also very, very easy to OC an e6600 to the point where it won't bottleneck any currently released gpu, even with stock cooling, it'd be silly to buy a new processor.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it's also very, very easy to OC an e6600 to the point where it won't bottleneck any currently released gpu, even with stock cooling, it'd be silly to buy a new processor.

Oh yeah?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!