As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First time computer builder...Can't connect to the internet

italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
Windows Vista is up and running...only now I can't connect to the internet. When I try to run IE, I get a diagnostic message "This computer does not have a network adapter installed and configured. Install networking hardware, and verify that the correct drivers are loaded"

I'm connected using an ethernet cable...what do I need to do?

---- Old question below: thanks for your help everyone

Hi, I'm building my first computer ever. I've got a book, Building the Perfect PC (2nd Edition), and I bought components from newegg based on the recommendations in the computer build sticky thread. Here are the components:

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5

And 2 x LG GH22LP20 DVD burner

I've been learning a ton of things out of this, but I've come to a few trouble spots. Right now I want to have one of the optical drives be the master, and the other the slave. I don't see any 'jumper' on the outside of the unit to set it. I know which part of teh ATA cable to set each too, but isn't there something else I need to do?

And here is a picture of the back of it. I tried finding their (LG) support site, but all I could find were advertisements.
[IMG][/img]dvddrive002yb7.jpg
Wow, that's big...how to I spoiler something?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
italianranma on

• Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't see anything wrong. You can use the stock cooler for the E8400, or if you want something a little better (so you can OC in the future) you could get a 3rd party heatsink. I suggest Thermalright and Xigmatek.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been learning a ton of things out of this, but I've come to a few trouble spots. Right now I want to have one of the optical drives be the master, and the other the slave. I don't see any 'jumper' on the outside of the unit to set it. I know which part of teh ATA cable to set each too, but isn't there something else I need to do?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=27-136-147-04.jpg&Image=27-136-147-02.jpg%2c27-136-147-03.jpg%2c27-136-147-04.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16827136147&Depa=1&Description=LG%2022X%20DVD%u00b1R%20DVD%20Burner%20with%20LightScribe%20Black%20IDE%20Model%20GH22LP20

You want the "Device Configuration Jumper"

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry, my threadmaking skills were a little slow, there's a picture now too.

Yes, I'm sure I do...only I don't understand. Is there some extra cord or plug that's supposed to fit in there? All that came when I ordered these drives were the units themselves: no directions, no drivers, not even screws.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited August 2008
    Sorry, my threadmaking skills were a little slow, there's a picture now too.

Yes, I'm sure I do...only I don't understand. Is there some extra cord or plug that's supposed to fit in there? All that came when I ordered these drives were the units themselves: no directions, no drivers, not even screws.

Here:

dvddrive002yb7ann5.jpg

That's your pin. You remove it and set it over the pinsettings to signal whether or not it is a Master or Slave. Pinsetting organizations change base don the HDD model and manufacturer, so first look on top of the HDD - usually there's a diagram explaining. Otherwise, check the manual, or the manufacturer website. It should look like this:

install-ide-hard-drive-jumper.gif

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    dvddrive002yb7copy.jpg

The green is where the jumper is presently set, which is the Master position. The blue is where the jumper needs to be to set it to slave. So you should have one drive with the jumper in the green and one with the jumper in the blue.

If you lack fingernails tweezers may be necessary, just don't hulk out on it and you shouldn't worry about breaking anything. And as with all work with small parts, do it on a clean desk - losing a jumper is really sucky since it is pretty much the definition of a bullshit part.

nescientist on
    edited August 2008
    tldr;

And as with all work with small parts, do it on a clean desk - losing a jumper is really sucky since it is pretty much the definition of a bullshit part.

Thank god for SATA. Fuck all the goddamn jumper pins.

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    Thanks! I didn't realize that little thing was a pin.

The next question: I'm connecting the ATX power cables. With my power supply I found the 24pin and 8pin atx cables. The motherboard has a three pin plug for a "PWR_FAN" 12v...Oh, I think I just figured it out: there's a 3 pin for the fan that's built into the case...that fits...

And on the topic of bullshit parts, would it kill Coursair to lable it's fucking cables?

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited August 2008
    Well, theres no real point to labeling them, because it's pretty common sense now as to what goes to where, quite honestly. And even if it doesnt fit, the power-plugs have various shapes on each plugin, making it nigh-impossible for you to fuck up unless you do something like jam it in, which of course, signals other problems aside from the manufacturer's lack of labelling.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, theres no real point to labeling them, because it's pretty common sense now as to what goes to where, quite honestly. And even if it doesnt fit, the power-plugs have various shapes on each plugin, making it nigh-impossible for you to fuck up unless you do something like jam it in, which of course, signals other problems aside from the manufacturer's lack of labelling.

I dunno, some people here have been know to plug in a floppy power connector to a front panel LED header.

Pro tip: Don't do this.

Just read the instructions, take it slow, and if you're not sure about something, don' ttry plugging things at random, look through the manual again or ask here.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited August 2008

I thought the DVD drives I bought were SATA? Do I still need those jumper pins?

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Your DVD drives are not SATA, they are IDE. Your hard drive is SATA.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I thought the DVD drives I bought were SATA? Do I still need those jumper pins?

The drives you have are IDE drives not SATA. You need the wide gray ribbon cable to connect them to the motherboard.

Beazle on
    edited August 2008
    New Question: I need to burn an .ISO file to a DVD. What freeware programs are out there that I should use?

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd grab cdburnerxp from http://www.cdburnerxp.se

Seems to be the popular free nero replacement these days.

Ego on
    Erik
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    dvddecrypter

Development was halted on it some years ago, but google can find it for you.

Djeet on
    edited August 2008
    Thanks. As long as we're on the subject, what are some vital programs every computer should have?

I've got spybot. Anything else? Also, this desktop is going to be for gaming only: not browsing or document writing.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited August 2008
    Using cdburnerxp:

26577113bi5.jpg
    26577113bi5.edb0830384.jpg

Do I click burn disc? or do I need to do some other setup? what is 'convert to ISO'

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks. As long as we're on the subject, what are some vital programs every computer should have?

I've got spybot. Anything else? Also, this desktop is going to be for gaming only: not browsing or document writing.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=40635

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Windows Vista is up and running...only now I can't connect to the internet. When I try to run IE, I get a diagnostic message "This computer does not have a network adapter installed and configured. Install networking hardware, and verify that the correct drivers are loaded"

I'm connected using an ethernet cable...what do I need to do?

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You need to load the drivers. They should be on a CD that came with your motherboard or you can down load them off the web.

Go here to get them off the web http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Beazle on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Beazle is right. I just built a new rig with that motherboard, and Vista won't automatically detect the ethernet port. Install the driver from the CD that came with the mobo, and everything should be fine.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I just did this as well. Just insert the driver CD and do the "InstALL" option on the main page. Took a long damn time to install (and no progress bar, eh) but everything worked nicely after that.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun